Wall Street Journal Review of TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wall Street Journal Review of TSX

Just some tidbits from a TSX review in today's Wall Street Journal. I'll try and post the entire article if I get some more time.

"Plush, Sporty and Anonymous"
"Don't count on the car, or logo, to turn heads"
"Eventually someone is going to ask you how you like your new civic"
"Four cylinder made great noises"
"A classic sleeper that appeals to drivers who like high performance but detest glitz"
"BMW - benchmark for handling.....Infinity - leads the group in horse power...Audi - touts it's all wheel drive.....Acura-trying to give more for less"

Overall, not a bad review. They liked the car, just found it too bland to be taken as a serious competitor to the 3 series, A4 or IS
Old 04-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Plush, Sporty and Anonymous:
Acura Introduces Its New TSX

By JONATHAN WELSH
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

When we hit the road in Acura's brand new TSX , a couple of things jumped out at us. First, we noticed the navigation system has a really big screen. Then we realized that other than that, this car reminded us of every other sport sedan we've driven in the past year.

It's little wonder that buyers are confused by the sameness of the new Acura and all the other sports sedans out there -- particularly when the rest of the car industry is offering all sorts of wild choices, from convertible trucks to hot-rod SUVs. To stand out, the makers of these sporty four-doors are adjusting the little things: BMW fans say that company's car is the benchmark for handling, for example, while Infiniti leads the group in horsepower and Audi touts its all-wheel drive. Acura's strategy? Trying to give more for less.

The TSX , a neat and unadorned sedan that went on sale earlier this month, has a firm suspension, neatly finished leather interior and a high-revving engine that make it feel and sound like a sports car. It also comes standard with luxury and convenience equipment that costs extra on other cars. Heated, power-adjustable leather seats, a CD changer and 17-inch wheels are all included for the base price of $26,490, which is still several thousand dollars less than one would pay for stripped-down versions of the competition's sedans. The only option is a $2,000 navigation system, with that huge 8-inch screen.

Its styling, however, didn't grab us. In fact, here's where it departed the most from the high-end competition: Its slab-sided body, while clean-looking, lacks the styling cues that make some other cars recognizable -- BMW's "kidney" grille, Infiniti's stacked headlights. Instead, it blended in with lower-budget family sedans like the Mazda 6 and Toyota Camry, and reminded us of a Honda Civic economy car. (Honda, Acura's parent company, says the two aren't related and that the TSX is built on a Honda chassis previously available only in Europe.)

Low profile luxury: The Acura TSX doesn't beat the competition for speed or flashy styling, but hopes to make up ground with luxury trappings, such as heated seats and a CD changer.

Although it looks smaller from the outside than its main competition, the TSX is longer than most and has slightly more passenger space, with plenty of head- and legroom for front-seat passengers. Rear-seat space roughly matched that found in other small sport sedans, which means it's fine for adults as long as the trips are relatively short. For the driver, the steering wheel was adjustable and switches, knobs and other controls seemed well-placed and easy to operate.

Our tester was at its best on the road, where a smooth, 200-horsepower engine accelerated the 3,200-pound car to 60 miles an hour in about seven seconds. But with just four cylinders, the engine, no matter how technically advanced, will never have the appeal of six-cylinder motors from BMW, Infiniti and Mercedes.

We think the TSX will appeal to those drivers who want a luxury sport sedan, and don't need extra power or a brand-name logo. The appointments are luxurious and the drive on twisting roads is still, as they say, sporty. The TSX felt stable with a taut suspension and steering that was sensitive but not twitchy. We especially enjoyed shifting gears with the silky six-speed transmission while listening to the engine's pleasing mechanical howl.

When it's time to park, just don't expect the valet to say, "Wow, nice car!"

Write to Jonathan Welsh at jonathan.welsh@wsj.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DRIVER'S MANUAL
Performance Anxiety

Here's how the Acura TSX compares with other small luxury sport sedans.

Make/Model Base Price Engine/Horsepower Acceleration 0-60 mph (sec.) Weight (pounds) EPA Mileage (City/Highway)
Acura TSX $26,490 4-cyl./200 7.0 3,230 21/29
BMW 325i $27,800 6-cyl./184 7.1 3,219 20/29
Audi A4 1.8T Quattro $26,700 4-cyl./170 7.9 3,406 21/19
Lexus IS 300 $29,435 6-cyl./215 6.8 3,255 18/25
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 $29,305 V6/192 7.9 3,428 19/28

Backseat Driver

Here's what we liked -- and didn't -- about the Acura TSX .

What Works What Doesn't
The Inside TSX looks well-finished with neatly creased body panels and modern, understated wedge shape. Don't count on the car, or logo, to turn heads.
The Outside Plenty of front-seat headroom. Leather trim is nicely done, and CD changer and heated seats are standard. As with most small sedans, rear seating is a bit cramped for passengers taller than 6 feet.
Under the Hood Four-cylinder engine seemed eager and made great noises while churning out an impressive 200 horsepower. Despite its muscle, it seems small next to the six-cylinder engines available in other sport sedans.
Behind the Wheel With excellent visibility, easy-to-grip shift lever and well-placed pedals, this seems designed with drivers in mind. Better-than-average handling for a front-wheel-drive car, though we felt slight "plowing" in fast turns.
Over the Top TSX is a classic sleeper that appeals to drivers who like high performance but detest glitz. Eventually, someone is going to ask how you like your new Civic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated April 18, 2003
Old 04-18-2003, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

Re: Wall Street Journal Review of TSX

Originally posted by Haus

Overall, not a bad review. They liked the car, just found it too bland to be taken as a serious competitor to the 3 series, A4 or IS
That's about what I thought when I drove one a couple of weeks ago. Six or eight months from now, if the dealer had them on the lot, and would deal on the price, I'd think hard about buying one. For $1500 more than the TSX sticker, I got a CL-S instead.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Racer

Thnks Scrib
Old 04-18-2003, 11:07 AM

Eventually someone is going to ask you how you like your new civic"
Ouch.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Advanced

I'm most likely going to buy a TSX in a few months and one thing is for sure -- I don't give a damn if some reviewer from the WSJ thinks it looks like a Civic. I like it, and that is all that matters. Boo fricking hoo it doesn't have a "kidney grille"-like feature to make it distinctive. Wow, what a flaw.

I just priced out a 325i on bmwusa.com and it came out to $36,395 similarly equipped as a TSX. Sorry, but no thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Ouch.
I would only take that offendingly if I truly cared what others thought of my car. I've been told enough times how do you like your accord lol I guess it's part of owning a Honda lol.