a wake up call for the bmw suckers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a wake up call for the bmw suckers

for all you people who insist that bmw is all that you should aside from taking some medicine for sanity, try reading this:

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...7&categoryId=1
Old 04-30-2004, 07:48 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digital_b
for all you people who insist that bmw is all that you should aside from taking some medicine for sanity, try reading this:

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...7&categoryId=1
Some responders are complete morons if you read the letters. The guy cross shops the LS, the SC 430, BMW 645, and then a 911 turbo and then proceeds to call the turbo crap

IMO, the Acura is an excellent entry level lux sedan however, if I could afford an M3, M5, or 645C, you think I'd be driving an Acura :lol2: Sorry, but in an absolute sense, BMW (and I won't even mention the Porsche) kicks the crap out of the Japanese manufacturers.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Advanced

i agree..the larger japanese manifactures have the best "bang for bucks" (value)..but i mean...when you take out the money factor...you know germans can make cars dude....but then again..when would money not be a factor? =) i think everyone saved about 5K because even if BMW made the TL with the same quality...it will still pretty much cost about 40K or something
Old 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Mike

I love all the features on my new TL and the more "bang for the buck" but I wouldn't dare enter a corner at the same speed in my TL as I would in a BMW. While the TL beats the BMW in many areas it can't touch it in "on the edge" driving.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
HMFIC

My TL is fantastic. The driving dynamics do not approach my friends 330i. On similar roads, his 330i just stays planted, my TL is always in the air, I guess it's the weight of the car and the softish springs. It not a problem, I like the buttery ride.

Don
Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Question for KilroyR1

Kilroy, very interesting comment about always being 'in the air' at near-limit driving, I have the same problem. I was hoping that this was a function of the EL-42 tires, and that I could cure it with a trip to the tire store. Do you have the EL-42s' on? If so, I still have some hope...BTW, I can't comment on the driveability of the 330i (or any BMW product) because I couldn't get them to give me a test drive (I'm an obviously qualified buyer, 37 year-old professional, but they just weren't interested in making the effort...so Acura won. Actually, I had already decided on the TL prior to going into the Bimmer dealer, I just wanted to see the 330i to see what I was giving up. Not much, certainly not back seat space, but perhaps I missed out on a bit of 'elitist' attitude!).
Old 04-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Advanced

did i not hear it right? they didn't give you a test drive a BMW? i don't know man...either they are really racist or something...even my little brother can get a test drive from the bimmer dealership...well..let me rephrase what he told me exactly "if i drive my lexus to the dealership..they beg me to test drive...but last time i brought mom's accord..they didn't want to talk to me"...how gay are those salesman?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Advanced

You heard it right. White male, nicely dressed, driving a wrecked 10-year old Honda (which is why I needed a new car, somebody hit me). I told them that I was buying the Acura within a week unless I liked the Bimmer enough to change my mind. they said to stop back later, they didn't have the time to give a test drive (I was the only one in the store). But he did raise one eyebrow and say to stop back and drive it because "it is the ultimate driving machine". Whatever. I got the car I wanted, they lost a sale. Chalk one up for Acura. Maybe they thought that I didn't have any money, since I was driving a 10 year old Honda. But that is exactly the very reason that I have money to buy a new TL!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I always go to the dealer with sweat clothes on, looking like i just got done working in the yard. I got more attention the first time I went to the BMW dealership than I got at TWO acura dealerships. If it wasn't the fact that I really wanted a tl, I would not have fancied a third dealership. Racist or not, they should see potential green.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by doogles
You heard it right. White male, nicely dressed, driving a wrecked 10-year old Honda (which is why I needed a new car, somebody hit me). I told them that I was buying the Acura within a week unless I liked the Bimmer enough to change my mind. they said to stop back later, they didn't have the time to give a test drive (I was the only one in the store). But he did raise one eyebrow and say to stop back and drive it because "it is the ultimate driving machine". Whatever. I got the car I wanted, they lost a sale. Chalk one up for Acura. Maybe they thought that I didn't have any money, since I was driving a 10 year old Honda. But that is exactly the very reason that I have money to buy a new TL!
Wow, that's amazing. I went with my aunt about 2 years back to test drive an X5. We had no problem taking a tet drive, they handed over the keys, and didn't even go with us. My aunt was also considering the MDX at this time. She asked the BMW salesman why the X5 was $10k more than the MDX (both loaded V6s)...The salesman kinda bashed Acura, saying the MDX wasn't a "real" luxury car, and the X5 was more than twice the vehicle. That really turned her off. She then drove the MDX, and thought it felt just as nice as the X5...guess which one she bought.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Lexus (owned 4) and Acura(on my 2nd) to a lesser extent are glad you bought their car. When you take a Lexus in for service, they give you another almost new Lexus to drive (if you are smart enough to call ahead a week or two). If your Acura will be in for four hours or more, they loan you another Acura. Both return clean cars to you after service. If your Lexus goes in for warranty work, they give you a tank of gas. They used to send you a check for $50 for your trouble.
What do BMW and Mercedes do for you? I have had three BMWs (in the 70s and 80s), and two Porsches (in the 70s). The Bimmers required extensive warranty work. The Porsches were very expensive to maintain. Neither dealer even washed the car. Have they changed?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I never paid for any service, not even light bulbs or windshield wipers, nothing, and they washed my bmw. I just hated the crappy ford contour with park ave bmw on it for a loaner.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Instructor

I own a BMW 3 Series Sport Package and a 04 TL. I got to tell ya . . . the TL is sweeeeeeeeeeet. and the BMW is equally sweeeeeeeeeeeet. The TL is more advanced technically, and the Bimmer is well . . . just a cool lookin car.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Racer

I have a friend of mine who works for a BMW dealership. He told me a story about a guy who showed up to the dealership one day dressed in shorts and a rag type shirt. None of the salesman at the dealership wanted to help him except one, the new guy who started working there about a month before. The salesman knew he had nothing to loose, so he took a shot at it. The customer asked to see the 5 series. When the saleman showed the 5 or 7 series to the customer, the customer replied he would like to order 6 fully loaded cars. The dealership ended up ordering 6 cars and had them shipped to where this customer lived totaling some 1-2 million dollars. Then the customer gave the salesman a $10k tip and offered to let me stay at some resort he owned for a week vacation, all expenses paid. I think the saleman, with commission cleared some $40k dollars with his commission, pay, tip, and vacation. Cracks me up, just wish I could see the look of the other salesman.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Racer

you cant convince these people of the fact that unless youre driving too fast on public roads wherein the bmw can save your irresponsible ass it is just paying for a badge. german cars engineered better than the japanese? well then why are the japanese brands less problematic and longer lasting? must be that asian magic ginseng kansei mystical stuff in the metal eh? you live in a dream world. is a lexus ls 430 going to be driven 125 mph all day in america or canada? NO and its not going to see 7 series or S classes in germany doing it either. is a bmw more fun in the 'twisties'? I doubt seriously that people buying lexus and infiniti [and one hopes acura when they get a car in the lexus class] arent stupid enough to drive at high speeds on curvy roads in public. reckless driving? yes its still a moving violation in the real world. bwm quality? roughly equivalent to 60s-80s era english car electronics. the german cars [I owned one] are selling to people who are seeking 'status' and dont care about the reality of owning a shoddily built car. when american cars [AMERICAN CARS!!!] are now more reliably built than european cars I think this contention of asian vs european build is not even worth attacking but you can if you want.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Racer

you want to see arrogance? park your car and dress leisurely and walk the lot past the showroom window and look at the reaction of the a-holes in there. then when you have bought whatever you wanted elsewhere [its best if its the same brand as the particular dealer who will annoy you] make sure you park in front of the showroom and look at the reaction of their faces. its priceless.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Life is good.

Basically, if money wasn't a factor, the Germans kick ass!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

kick ass? in what way that matters? looks are subjective. tell us how the germans 'kick ass'. maybe some of their customers would like to read about it while they are waiting for their cars in the customer lounge. AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Mike

You don't have to speed or drive aggressively to appreciate the good handling of a car. When a car pulls out in front of you when you’re going 35 or a child rides his bike in front of you when you’re going 25 or an SUV decides to switch lanes without looking when you’re both going 70 makes you appreciate a good handing car.

When choosing a vehicle I think there are two philosophies for staying alive on the highway. You can buy an SUV and kill anyone that gets in your way or buy a car that handles and get out of the way.

The BMW and TL both handle well but I would rather be in a BMW when that car pulls out in front of me.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Instructor

digital b, just because you got a BMW lemon doesn't mean I did. My car has performed flawlessly for 2.5 years running thus far and not a squeak or rattle either. and no, I don't live in AZ but in pot hole ridden MI.

further, I don't drive like an idiot (ie: 130mph) but I know that when I do need the power it's there.

American brands, from my own experience owning them . . . still crap!!!

tomorrow, try something else for breakfast other than nails. :thefinger
Old 04-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by digital_b
kick ass? in what way that matters? looks are subjective. tell us how the germans 'kick ass'. maybe some of their customers would like to read about it while they are waiting for their cars in the customer lounge. AGAIN.
They say ignorance is bliss. You must be really happy with your TL. It's my second Acura (first was an Integra I bought new in 1987) and probably will be my last. With just 10K miles on the odometer my TL has more annoying rattles and squeaks than my 1990 325is did at 120K miles. Will it be a reliable car - more so than any of the German offerings? I have no doubt. Is it as enjoyable to drive as a BMW? Not even close. Does it handle as well as the BMW? Nope. That's how they kick ass.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Cool

everyone, go drink a beer and is the colorful language necessary?

my car is good
yours sucks
bs to you
bs to you back and the horse you rode in on.

jeeesh, someone has way too much time on their hands. What was the original subject on this thread anyway???
Old 04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I consider reliability part of the 'quality equation'. In that sense the Germans have fallen into the abyss. The reliability of Mercedes & BMWs are the absolute pits over the last few years. To me that is NOT quality.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 PM