Volkswagen Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volkswagen Touareg

Anyone have any good/bad thougts about this SUV. Thinking about buyin one...
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by drbeatty
They've had a LOT of problems, and according to what I've seen on vwvortex.com, the problems haven't really been totally solved. Proceed with caution.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Well I really don't know to much about it. I had heard it has had allot of problems and that sales went down after the intial release. But that may be becasue it's a new model
Old 10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yeh, I haven’t seen much of them around as before. And I really mean it. I used to see 10-15 of them daily on University Avenue where I work. Now I see none. What happened to them?

Must be the typical VW engineering. Even the Porsche SUV sightings have dwindled.
Lets not even mention that high end VW Pheateon sales.

I would say a big NO NO on this SUV. Go for a Toyota 4-Runner or the Acura MDX.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Yeh, I haven’t seen much of them around as before. And I really mean it. I used to see 10-15 of them daily on University Avenue where I work. Now I see none. What happened to them?
I have read on vwvortex that a lot of people are returning them as lemons.

Must be the typical VW engineering. Even the Porsche SUV sightings have dwindled.
The Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg were developed jointly, and IIRC are built in the same factory (Bratislava in the Czech Republic).

Lets not even mention that high end VW Pheateon sales.
Last I heard, they are selling (worldwide) six a month. It came on the market to rave reviews from nearly everyone, but what VW apparently didn't realize was that they have a major problem with perception. No one pegs VW as a luxury brand. They even built a custom factory just for that line, in Bremen, Germany...completely encased in glass, where a customer can watch their Phaeton being built, and can take delivery right at the factory when it's done. But, it's bombing big-time.

I would say a big NO NO on this SUV. Go for a Toyota 4-Runner or the Acura MDX.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Banned

Its almost too sad to read this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1509946

Old 10-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Race Director

FX45? Murano? MDX? RX330? 4Runner? Range Rover?

theres a lot of variety, but I would never trust a VW Product
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Banned

What kind of extreme engineering did they use for the 4Runner? I see very old ones every where and their not even close to death at all !

Originally Posted by Raheel
FX45? Murano? MDX? RX330? 4Runner? Range Rover?

theres a lot of variety, but I would never trust a VW Product
Old 10-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Banned

This is a POS SUV, we test drove one for 24hrs and it was kind of fun, but there was a sense of cheapness. It got me wondering.......... WHO WOULD SPEND $40k on a VW????

We ended up getting the redesigned 04 4runner which is really nice, and you wouldn't think it is.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought about it but that's all. Really nice interior but dead slow with the six and VASTLY overpriced with the eight or the diesel. Considering VW reliability I went to Lexus of Louisville and bought an RX330. Love it.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by SidS1045
They've had a LOT of problems, and according to what I've seen on vwvortex.com, the problems haven't really been totally solved. Proceed with caution.
but they still look nice.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,206 Posts
My sister inlaw has the V8 with the Tech Package (can you say $50k, ouch).

I don't think it was worth nearly that, but its nice and she hasn't had any problems with it. Personally I would have went RX330 or MDX.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:10 PM
You touch my tra la la...

We looked at the FX and the Touareg V8. I liked the Touareg better because of its luxury, but we went with the FX. I have to say I'm glad my dad didn't listen to me because the FX drives like a dream and sounds awesome.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SidS1045
The Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg were developed jointly, and IIRC are built in the same factory (Bratislava in the Czech Republic).
Bratislava is in Slovak Republic ...
Old 10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check out the new Pathfinder also.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

the VW phaeteon is a really nice car but who in the world is going to drop that much $$$ for a VW? isn't that what audi's for? also the car is similar to the A8 but has the new W12 engine instead of the 4.2 that the A8 has. i am sure that the phaeteon engine is better but if i had to decide between the audi and the VW i would go with the audi.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Pro

Thanks for the negative opinions - they will be weighed in my decision. Does anyone know anything GOOD about the vehicle (it will be for my wife, and I would be getting the V6). Anyone familir with the Buyer Ready program at VW? How is it better than a lease?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Banned

If you love your wife, get something else !

Thanks for the negative opinions - they will be weighed in my decision. Does anyone know anything GOOD about the vehicle (it will be for my wife, and I would be getting the V6). Anyone familir with the Buyer Ready program at VW? How is it better than a lease?
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

from: http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040927/vw-touareg-w12.php

The new Touareg W12 Sport: A twelve-cylinder sports utility vehicle with 450 hp

Touareg W12 Sport sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds
SUV from Volkswagen Individual, with a wide range of modifications

Two years ago exactly, Volkswagen introduced the Touareg to the world for the first time in Paris. And now, the world's most exclusive sports utility vehicle in this form is making its début at the same place: the Touareg W12 Sport, initially available as a limited edition only. The 331 KW / 450 hp special-class SUV, which reaches 250 km/h (electronically limited, speedometer up to 300 km/h) was designed by Volkswagen Individual. The combination of the twelve-cylinder engine, air-suspension running gear and all-wheel drive is currently unique throughout the world.

The unusual driving performance, such as acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, are impressive, but are not necessarily in the foreground. It is more the way it moves – which is superior in every respect – that makes the Touareg W12 Sport appeal to a very sophisticated clientele. The maximum torque of 600 Newton metres applied by the 6.0 litre twelve-cylinder ensures that the Touareg can produce almost inexhaustible reserves of strength both on and off road. The petrol engine, which is classified under the EU4 standard, has a six-speed automatic transmission (Tiptronic).

Both the exterior and the interior of Europe's most powerful cross-country vehicle has been re-specified by Volkswagen Individual in many areas. The "deep blue" painted exhibition vehicle shows the new features in detail. Outside, it is the exclusively designed bumpers, darkened windows, wheel arch extensions which blend smoothly with the side sills, two chromium-plated double exhaust-pipe ends and 20-inch alloy wheels with tyre dimensions 275/40 R20 that make this Touareg stand out as the W12 Sport.

The smart interior of the Touareg is further refined by the addition of individual sports seats with Alcantara inlays (very non-slip), aluminium inserts (design: Engine Spin) and aluminium door entry strips incorporating the "W12 Sport" lettering. The new top-of-the-range model can be ordered in Germany and France from October. Other markets will follow shortly.

Text: Volkswagen
Old 10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Banned

That’s not impressive. What is impressive is what BMW did to their X5. They stuffed the V12 engine from the LMR LeMans racecar into that SUV and it went like stink. They were about to put the F1 engine in there, but they had no tranny to take that much load. Too bad it was a one off and now in museum somewhere.

Now tell me, how far do you think this VW can go before that tranny goes with that much load from that W12 and the freakin weight of the car?

Originally Posted by stiletto
The new Touareg W12 Sport: A twelve-cylinder sports utility vehicle with 450 hp

Touareg W12 Sport sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds
SUV from Volkswagen Individual, with a wide range of modifications

Two years ago exactly, Volkswagen introduced the Touareg to the world for the first time in Paris. And now, the world's most exclusive sports utility vehicle in this form is making its début at the same place: the Touareg W12 Sport, initially available as a limited edition only. The 331 KW / 450 hp special-class SUV, which reaches 250 km/h (electronically limited, speedometer up to 300 km/h) was designed by Volkswagen Individual. The combination of the twelve-cylinder engine, air-suspension running gear and all-wheel drive is currently unique throughout the world.

The unusual driving performance, such as acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, are impressive, but are not necessarily in the foreground. It is more the way it moves – which is superior in every respect – that makes the Touareg W12 Sport appeal to a very sophisticated clientele. The maximum torque of 600 Newton metres applied by the 6.0 litre twelve-cylinder ensures that the Touareg can produce almost inexhaustible reserves of strength both on and off road. The petrol engine, which is classified under the EU4 standard, has a six-speed automatic transmission (Tiptronic).

Both the exterior and the interior of Europe's most powerful cross-country vehicle has been re-specified by Volkswagen Individual in many areas. The "deep blue" painted exhibition vehicle shows the new features in detail. Outside, it is the exclusively designed bumpers, darkened windows, wheel arch extensions which blend smoothly with the side sills, two chromium-plated double exhaust-pipe ends and 20-inch alloy wheels with tyre dimensions 275/40 R20 that make this Touareg stand out as the W12 Sport.

The smart interior of the Touareg is further refined by the addition of individual sports seats with Alcantara inlays (very non-slip), aluminium inserts (design: Engine Spin) and aluminium door entry strips incorporating the "W12 Sport" lettering. The new top-of-the-range model can be ordered in Germany and France from October. Other markets will follow shortly.

Text: Volkswagen
Old 10-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Let's be realistic, MADCAT, where's his wife going that she'd need a 12 cylinder BMW? not to mention the price of gas these days...On another note, the VW Touareg is nice, my only nit pick is the power of the six, which is mediocre at best. My other complaint is the Nav system, which is one of the worse I've ever encountered in the hundreds of cars that I've sold..
Old 10-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good things-well, besides the nice interior, it can also be used for serious off-roading, unlike the RX330 or MDX. Did I mention the worst fuel mileage this side of a Toyota landcruiser?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. I had no idea the Toureg was such a POS. I looked at one a few months ago. I love the way it looks, love the interior. It drove nicely, too, but the brakes were extremely touchy. Almost lost my sunglasses the first time I hit the brakes. It was also pretty slow. I guess that's what happens whe a car weight 5000 pounds.

I also wanted the FX, but the wife hated it. "Too ugly," she said. No taste at all. I'm still considering getting one for myself. She doesn't have to ride in it! The problem is they're getting hammered on resale.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SpecialFX

I also wanted the FX, but the wife hated it. "Too ugly," she said. No taste at all. I'm still considering getting one for myself. She doesn't have to ride in it! The problem is they're getting hammered on resale.
My wife feels the same way, unfortunately. It's probably going to force me to get the RX 330 over another FX because she hates the look and ride.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

I think the FX looks cool. Too bad they can't make a sedan car with those killer looks.

Originally Posted by Shoofin'TL
My wife feels the same way, unfortunately. It's probably going to force me to get the RX 330 over another FX because she hates the look and ride.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shoofin'TL
Yeah, women love the RX330. Looks like my time with my new one is going to be short since my wife wants it so much. She really fell for the remote controlled rear lift-gate and the soft leather captains chairs. Lexus finally admitted in public that they designed this thing for women. If you get one, be sure to get the adaptive lighting, I wish I had now.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned

So all the men driving them are gay now?

Originally Posted by jdone
Yeah, women love the RX330. Looks like my time with my new one is going to be short since my wife wants it so much. She really fell for the remote controlled rear lift-gate and the soft leather captains chairs. Lexus finally admitted in public that they designed this thing for women. If you get one, be sure to get the adaptive lighting, I wish I had now.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

So all the men driving them are gay now?
Not really...They just have good taste in a well made, fully loaded Lexus!
BTW, you know that the first thing I'm going to do is drop that bitch! Just trying to decide which MFR to get the springs from..
Ed