Very cheap off-road vehicle options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cheap off-road vehicle options?

Hi all,

Summer is here and I have decided to devote myself to some country-side advantures including boating, off-roading and camping. Canada is where a lot of the world's natural beauties lie, and I want to explore as much as I can.

My TSX is definitely not an option for these type of activities, so I have 2 options:

1. Rent
2. Buy a very cheap (sub $3000) truck or SUV and use it until it dies.

I do not have the money to buy a recent model, so with my budget I'm forced to look at early to mid 90s models.

I'm posting this hoping to get some advice as to what truck/SUV I should be looking at and any hints or suggestions with regards to these advantures.

some more info:

- I'll be taking my fiance with me in these trips, but I would really prefer to have a 4-seater as we got friends who will most likely hop along.

- I need something with moderate to high off-roading capability(4x4 and high chassis) as things can get very nasty if you get stuck in a jungle!

- I prefer to stick with a V6 and not go with a V8 as gas costs an arm and a leg these days.

- I need something that can tow a small boat. I don't have the boat yet, but it'll be something basic and very cheap hopefully.

As you can tell, I really don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I'm more than willing to learn, so if you got recreational experience, please give me all the knowledge you can.

Thanks a lot

Sam
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I would probably check out the 87+ Jeep Cherokee. I believe '87 was the first year for the 4.0 inline six, with '91 being the first year of the High Output variant. Not too sure what the prices are, but except for a few electrical issues they seemed pretty stout. I even think a two door style was offered, which I always thought was quite attractive. Either way, make sure the transfer case works properly and the differentials are in good shape, including any universal joints and seals.

Terry
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 runner/pathfinder FTW
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

Jeep Grand Wagoneer

can be had within your budget
plenty of room
excellent 4wd
alot of options for lifts/aftermarket off roading stuff
will tow a small boat and more if needed
can get one with a 6 cylinder
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
to the Jeep Cherokee.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
cherokee with a winch ftw
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been looking into some jeeps, and it looks like you can score some of the mid 90's cherokee's pretty cheaply...

The 4.0L six is a pretty proven engine, but if you want more gas mileage, you can even get them in a 4 cly...

I've got this one that's local to me in my saved items on ebay (winter beater ?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160128873779
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by teranfon
I would probably check out the 87+ Jeep Cherokee. I believe '87 was the first year for the 4.0 inline six, with '91 being the first year of the High Output variant. Not too sure what the prices are, but except for a few electrical issues they seemed pretty stout. I even think a two door style was offered, which I always thought was quite attractive. Either way, make sure the transfer case works properly and the differentials are in good shape, including any universal joints and seals.

Terry
I agree. I got my son a 96 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0 inline six as his first vehicle. I paid $500 for it and put another $1000 in to it for brakes, tune up, alternator, battery and all new fluids. It is a beast that just keeps on going! So far it's been a cheap depndable mode of transportation for him.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Instructor

i have a 1985 ford bronco 4x4 for sale. its got 31'' off road tires. $2000
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Racer

Got to chime in on the Jeeps of the 90's - the 4.0L I6 engine is bullet proff and can be found in the Cherokees, Grand Cherokees and some Wranglers. I think that's your best bet - high mileage should not be an issue on these engines as long as they've been taken care of decently.

I've thought about doing this many times myself!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Thank you all for the replies. The Canadian market agrees with the suggestions here as I see a lot of Grand Cherokee and Cherokees with the inline 6 4.0L with very high mileage(300K+!)

Why is it that I keep thinking that I read somewhere Jeep Grand Cherokee was not a good off-roader compared to the regular Cherokee and Wrangler?

Regarding Jeep Grand Wagoneer suggested by "The Owner", I keep looking for one, but damn no one wants to sell those!

Thanks again.

I'm so sick of this freaking city-life that I'm thinking of just leaving it all behind and start a life in the woods. Too many unneccessary luxuries and complicated lifestyle. Stressful jobs and so little reward.

I'm sounding depressed aren't I?! Well maybe that's a sign.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My mom has a 94 Cherokee Country edition and she drives it until it stops, I wouldn't expect any different.

The thing is still going strong though. If it can handle that type of neglect, I'd imagine a decently cared for vehicle will serve you good.

I do know that the heating was less than average, that can be verified by consumer reports. It takes a while for it to blow some hot air. The darn thing aint get warm until after she dropped me off for school. lol
Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by synthetic
Thank you all for the replies. The Canadian market agrees with the suggestions here as I see a lot of Grand Cherokee and Cherokees with the inline 6 4.0L with very high mileage(300K+!)
Even for a Jeep, that might be pushing it.

Why is it that I keep thinking that I read somewhere Jeep Grand Cherokee was not a good off-roader compared to the regular Cherokee and Wrangler?
They are bigger, heavier, and a little less ground clearance. I think most of them come with Dana 30's, which are not as strong as the Cherokee/Wrangler Axles.

That said, I had a 1994 Grand Cherokee with 180,000 miles and I hung just fine with my friends 2006 Rubicon in most of the tough stuff (JoeDokes Rubicon actually).

I'm so sick of this freaking city-life that I'm thinking of just leaving it all behind and start a life in the woods. Too many unneccessary luxuries and complicated lifestyle. Stressful jobs and so little reward.

I'm sounding depressed aren't I?! Well maybe that's a sign.

This is why I got a Jeep. Its great to be able to take off and just go out in the woods.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I vote for the Jeep Cherokee as well. The inline six is very durable and they came with 5 speed manuals. Also a Wrangler could be a lot of fun for you.

My personal opinion to you would be to get a basic Sport model, the more bells and whistle the more potential problems - this is coming from experience as I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we just got rid of our '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with 230K miles on it. That car didn't owe us ANYTHING. IT was giving out a bit towards the end but man of man that car was dependable and the 4WD is still the best system that I have driven with in the winter months, even better than my mom's brand new AWD system.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

What area are you from synthetic?

As for the Grand Wagoneer, I won't be selling mine either.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Instructor

The Owner,

I'm from Toronto, Canada.

Man that thing is gorgeous. Back home(middle east) my grandpa had one of those and they were called Jeep Shaheen(Hawk) I believe that car is still possesed by one of the close relatives. That thing would probably have more than a million miles on it by now(I'm not joking) We took a lot of trips in that beauty and I even remember jumping out of the backdoor while the car was slowly moving and injuring myself!(I was 5-6 years old)

good times...

Yours is truely beautiful and well maintained. What year is it?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

It's an 85 with the 258 I6. Just over 88k miles, and besides a slight oil leak, runs better than I could have ever expected. I bought this from a family who practically gave it to me for a price I will keep to myself. However, there are some flaws cosmetically to the Jeep that if you take a closer look would be noticeable, but you wouldn't notice them in the pics.

Being a huge Chicago Bears fan, the color worked out well too.

The missing wheel cap in the pic has since been replaced. In case anyone is wondering why the flags are blowing backwards, I took this pic on one of those -20 days we had this year with the brutal wind.

Alrighty, I'll stop jacking your thread now. If I find anything near your area, I'll toss a link your way.

EDIT: The Bears head you see on the door is only a magnet. Unfortunately, those Bears additions I added made the car a target, and somebody ripped two of the flags off my car super bowl night. No damage to the car though, so I can live with it.

Last edited by The Owner; 06-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Even for a Jeep, that might be pushing it.

They are bigger, heavier, and a little less ground clearance. I think most of them come with Dana 30's, which are not as strong as the Cherokee/Wrangler Axles.

That said, I had a 1994 Grand Cherokee with 180,000 miles and I hung just fine with my friends 2006 Rubicon in most of the tough stuff (JoeDokes Rubicon actually).

Took my 2000 GC Laredo off road a couple of times and it did just fine - though remember it's a "Luxury" SUV and will therefore be more geared towards comfort than true mud-bogging. If you want to climb rocks in the thing I'd suggest you go for the Cherokee or Wrangler, as mentioned above.

I will say one thing, the GC went through snow awesome.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
91-94 Explorers work quite well. You can get them cheap(under $3K) & you'd be surprised how well they off road even in stock trim. Spend another $1k in suspension & tires & it will hold it's own.

Only drawback is the auto tranny isn't that strong & neither are the auto 4WD hubs. About $200 will get you a manual hub conversion.

It also came in a 5 speed stick form. That tranny is stronger.