View Poll Results: Would you allow valet parking?
Yes
23.16%
No
70.53%
Could care less
6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Valet Parking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
me thinks some of the people saying "no" are just a bunch of cheapasses
you nailed it right on the head
Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
No. I did the valet thing while i was in HS. Parking peoples cars was the money job in 1987, and boy did I make some money. But dealing with cheap bastards, and people that look at you as their servant means their cars might have gotten some bad treatment.

I never did that, but my buddies have. Once, a Testarossa came in. That thing was sweet, so I naturally had to turn it around. I almost lost it trying to get in reverse, as that gated shifter was a bitch (I was 17, so sue me). Then I got bold and popped the rear hatch to see the engine......

No, don't trust the valet.......
Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
And mrsteve, even someone with an older car, I can still understand them not wanting anyone to touch if. If they have taken immaculate care of their car it's whole life, there's no reason the car shouldn't look darn near the same as the day it was delivered, and I understand wanting to keep it that way. It doesn't bother me one bit people who could care less about their cars and any dings/scratches it may get, just don't carry that disregard out on to my car. A reason I park out in Timbuktu all the time.
You'll grow out of it...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys totally exaggerate... in the past... I valet all the time, and never had any problems... but it's probably the ghetto places where they hire a bunch of losers that you guys are going that's causing all these problems... if you go to a classy place the valet is well organized and professional

only times i had to valet were at very nice steak restaurants and hotels.

and every time, the seats and mirrors were adjusted and the radio channels were changed.

saying all classy places have well organized and professional valets is an exaggeration too.

with that said, sure, i'd feel more comfortable valeting at a classy place than a not so classy place. but i still don't like valeting.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
where is....

you guys totally exaggerate... in the past... I valet all the time, and never had any problems... but it's probably the ghetto places where they hire a bunch of losers that you guys are going that's causing all these problems... if you go to a classy place the valet is well organized and professional
my brother worked at a 4 star hotel.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
me thinks some of the people saying "no" are just a bunch of cheapasses
Would you honesty trust someone driving your FX? What if they curb one of those baller ass wheels and basically pin it on you. I'm going to dinner to eat and probably get laid, not worry about my car. The self satisfaction of me parking my car and knowing its safe is worth more to me than the money paying someone to do it and worrying about it through dinner and sexy time.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Would you honesty trust someone driving your FX? What if they curb one of those baller ass wheels and basically pin it on you. I'm going to dinner to eat and probably get laid, not worry about my car. The self satisfaction of me parking my car and knowing its safe is worth more to me than the money paying someone to do it and worrying about it through dinner and sexy time.
And in a paid, secured lot. Not being a cheap bastard and driving for 20 minutes looking for a free spot, only to get your car broken into.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My valet experience:

STORY:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/anyone-who-valets-their-car-pix-677423/
Old 12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will pay the cost of w/e but i want to park my own car. Thas all i ask
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
You'll grow out of it...
We'll see about that
Old 12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Reminds me of this one time at the golf course I worked at, a guy with a 993 with RUF wheels tried to park right in front of the clubhouse. When I told him that driving a 993 doesn't give him permission to park there he got really pissed and more or less threw the keys at me and told me to park it myself. He didn't tip after I parked it at the end of the lot :cheapskate:
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
And how has this not been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxPoxxt7n0

4:35 to the end
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't mind it when I'm out with my girl and we go eat a nice dinner.

But the only thing that really comes into my mind when I'm handing over the keys is that scene in Seinfeld when Jerry gets his car back and notices a terrible B.O. smell.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
But the only thing that really comes into my mind when I'm handing over the keys is that scene in Seinfeld when Jerry gets his car back and notices a terrible B.O. smell.
See my post #16.

I also admitted in that post to being cheap.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
first of all... lemme clarify something... I DON'T usually opt for valet parking... BUT with THAT said... I'll give some examples of what I'm trying to say...

I recently attended 2 weddings... one of them was at a fancy private club where you didn't really have a choice... I guess if I had been hell bent to park it myself... I'm sure the parking attendants would've let me... but probably would have caused a scene in front of the other people pulling up in Bentley GTs and Quattroportes, however the actual parking area was down a hill... which meant I would've had to hike back up the long driveway in my Hugo Boss... and my date in her dress and heels... On a semi warm autumn day? NO THANKS.

The other wedding was at a 5 star hotel... I was running late, and for once... a wedding was starting on time (it was a Persian wedding, and traditionally, I guess it has to be held before sunset and it was getting very close to it ...anyway). So, it was simply much more convenient to have it valet'd... cause I still had to find where the wedding was in the hotel.

On the (few) occasions where I've valet'd, were the seat and steering wheel out of place? Sure... but ya know what? I'm 5'-7" and if the guy parking my FX is waaaaaay taller than me (which is usually the case), I don't want him having to drive it being uncomfortable... it's not big deal... it's a push of a memory button to put them back in place... Give me a break... some of you guys act like it's the end of the world that the parking attendant changed the setting... "OMG OMG OMG!!! WHAT TO DO??!!!!"

it's NOT about finding a g/f or having friends that understand the love you have for your car... it's about respect... I'm sure some of you have expectations when you pick up your dates. Does she look nice? Nice dress, makeup... hair done up? etc etc... I assure you, when I girl goes out of her way to look nice for you... SHE.. has expectations...

If I'm out -a night on the town... (for example) taking someone to see a show... dressing up, busting out the nice watch, taking her to a nice restaurant, VALET PARKING is ALL part of the package, it's call having class...

...again, I DON'T opt for valet most of the time... but there comes a time where you just gotta...

AND (as I already mentioned), I've worked in both valet parking and the food industry before... you guys are worry about your... what? $20k... $30k or even $60k car? You guys have no idea what goes on in the kitchen of the restaurants you go to, and I'm talking about stuff you're putting in your mouths.

Do I worry when they're driving my car away? ...sure. But that's life. And NO, I've never had any problems with valet parking... but I DID lose a brand new iPod to a car wash once... and got scratches from the asshats wiping down the cars wearing watches... it was the ONE time I took it to a car wash but that's another story
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Nice post..... Thinking of it like that, I don't go out of my way to places that have a valet. But if I have to, or the situation warrants it, then I just do it. This may be a bit hypocritical, but I think there are times where you just do it. Really not much of a choice. Now, if there is a choice, and there's no embarrassment involved, then I'll park it myself.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:06 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

On the (few) occasions where I've valet'd, were the seat and steering wheel out of place? Sure... but ya know what? I'm 5'-7" and if the guy parking my FX is waaaaaay taller than me (which is usually the case), I don't want him having to drive it being uncomfortable... it's not big deal... it's a push of a memory button to put them back in place... Give me a break... some of you guys act like it's the end of the world that the parking attendant changed the setting... "OMG OMG OMG!!! WHAT TO DO??!!!!"
i'm someone that said i don't like valeting because everytime i have, my seats were adjusted, radio stations were changed, etc.

no. i don't think it's the end of the world and i don't scream OMG OMG!!! WHAT TO DO?!!!!

if the driver needs to adjust the seat to be more comfortable, fine. and i understand that you won't be able to change it back to exactly what it was before, but at least show some decency and common courtesy to change it back. (unfortunately, i don't have memory seats)

changing my radio settings and preprogrammed stations is a why would the driver have the need to change my settings for a quick drive to the parking space and back? this has happened at least 3 times...all in classy institutions.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
So, lets just say this weekend if you go out to dinner and the restaurant had valet parking. You get your car back with a curbed rim, and scratched bumper, and fender how are you going to react when the Valet tells you it was already there or they arent responsible for any damages?
Do you take before and after pictures? Obviously if there is something that occurred when the car was parked I'd mention it. I've never had that problem. There was one time when my exhaust tip fell off the car when I had a valet park it but it was my fault because I didn't weld it right. Of the 5000 times I've probably used a valet that is the only incident I've noticed.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
You'll grow out of it...
x2