valet park? think again

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
Like others said, its not a 100k car you are driving, hell its not even a 75k car. Many people fail to realize the kind of insurance valet companys have. The valet company that worked the same club as me over the summer, had something like a $1million dollar policy or something crazy. So if anything happens to your car, they will cover it.
We only cover $5k, though sometimes, it goes through the guest's insurance. Funny as this sounds it kind of has a bit to do with how they react over the situation. If it was a complete accident that people witnessed and the guest go off the wall, than more than likely we will tell them to call their insurance. If they're nice, then we cover it. Luckily I'm not in the city, but I did some work down in Bedford, where valet companies flourish. On more than one occasion I was asked what company I owned, I had no idea what they was talking about at the time. As was a one man show down there, but he probably got confused by the suit. I have to say, regardless of what anyone says, this profession has given me by far more life experience than I could ever imagine...especially from a job that most see equal to pizza delivery. I guess from this discussion, I've learned something, valet companies suck. Just like any business, the bigger you get the more likely that service suffers. The property here is privately owned, no subcontractors by a strict chain of command.

I'll leave this here, but seriously if anyone plans on coming to my area, let me know, I can get a person more than a good parking spot. my car in the avatar is parked in the best spot.

In conclusion...... nope not an essay

Last edited by Myxomatosis; 02-17-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
See, my situation is this...I live nearby from the local synagogue that I go to, and is also is a catering hall that has a party almost every night, so it's pretty popular. I've seen instances where cars were damaged, I see the way these people beat the snot out of some cars. I've seen them drag race too! You think i'll even consider giving them my car? Whether i'm driving the cheapest, shittiest car you can imagine or the most expensive car you dream about, HELLLLL FKN NO. I've seen and heard of too many incidents that would keep me away from giving my car to a valet.

The last time I gave my car to a valet was when I drove down to SC for the BMW Performance Driving School in November 2008. I gave my car to the hotel valet. My car is stick (VW GTI). I saw how far they went to park the car, which was down the side of the hotel and into a parking garage. I did put my navigation away as well as my V1 Radar, but not for them, but to prevent any nosy people from looking into my car and smashing my window because they want something that belongs to me (That's the NY side of me coming out, no matter where I am). Not like I took them with me, I simply moved them from the windshield to the glove compartment and left it unlocked too.

At some point I needed to run to my car to get something, they gave me the key and told me where I would find it, went to the car and got what I had to get and everything was fine. When I needed my car, they brought it to me quickly, and I tipped them when necessary too. It wasn't until I was ready to head back home that I had to wait an unusually long amount of time to get my car. Turns out whoever was pulling it out to bring to me didn't know that you have to push down, left and up to get it into reverse and thought something was wrong with the car. he probably thought it was BMW style, with a firm tug to the left beyond 1st gear and up. He was probably wrestling with that shifter for 5 minutes. It wasn't until they brought the car to me and they told me what caused the delay, and had someone point out to him how to put the car into reverse. Annoyed? A little, I had to wait a good 10-15 minutes to get my car. Disappointed? A little but oh well. Did I still tip him? Yes.

To my knowledge, the only times I ever tipped really good was when I used to frequent Vegas. I stayed in the same hotel and just about knew everyone there. I was pretty friendly with the valet, they always knew when I needed my car, any requests I ever made were always fulfilled, and they generally treated me well. A tip was anywhere from $5 to $20 when I dropped off and picked up the car.

You know how the saying goes...You scratch my back I scratch yours....

Only thing is, the valet's that you'll probably see once, maybe twice in your lifetime look at you as a number and don't treat you with the respect you should get, and in many instances do not respect your property either.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny valet story about the quirky cars. A guy I used to do some work for used to have a bunch of exotic cars. On my birthday, he gave me some money for a nice dinner in the city with my friends and let me take the Vanquish for the night. I valeted the car, tipped the guy $20 to keep it close. He parked it with no problem. I came out after the meal and the guy immediately ran to the car to get it for me. About 2 minutes later, he comes back all flustered and says "i can't get it to start". He didn't know the "pull the paddles toward you twice to get into neutral" before it will start. I gave him another $20, said it wasn't his fault... but his face was so red and he was so apologetic. I completely understood though cuz the first time i got in that car, it took me 10mins to figure out.

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
It still insults me, when people do this, like taking the GPS out, chargers, CD's...it's like seriously you think this is my big score, haha I have your GPS, I dont care if I get fired now haha.
I have only valeted my own car a few times, but I always remove the Radar Detector from the dash and put my Laptop bag in the trunk. It's nothing against the valet (he has the keys to the car)...it's my fear that the car will be broken into while parked wherever it may be during my stay. I don't trust people in general due to a few bad experiences with items stolen from my cars while they were parked on city streets.

Last edited by BLUE07TLS; 02-18-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I know what you both are saying about putting away valuables, but some are just plain insulting, about 1/100 guests give us trouble. Luckily there's definitely karma. So many times I'll get stiffed all day and then do something rather simple for a guest and they slip a $100 or hell $300.

Since you brought up tipping, I went to a hotel that had full service, You had to valet and they charged you. Here's my trick, it's especially good if you're staying a few days. I get out, tip the valet $20, then the doorman $20 and the bellman $20. They called up not 10 min after check in and told me they were waiving the parking fee and royally kissed my ass for our entire stay. After that we went up to the bar and they must have been tipped off, since he gave us free drinks all night. Yeah it's expensive to do but you'll have a better stay. It was rather nice being the guest for once.
about MT's yeah, reverse is a bitch sometimes. There's so many that I wont even get into that topic.

Last edited by Myxomatosis; 02-18-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I've seen valet drivers beat the shit out of cars, race them through streets, and plow throw speeding bumps. I try to avoid valet regardless of what car I drive. I always double check the bumpers beforehand too. They at least know I'm aware of the condition of the car prior to exchange.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will leave any place that won't let me park my car. Plain and simple. I do not trust valets. I drive a lowered car. The vast majority of the population doesn't know how to drive a car with a drop, let alone a drop and a lip kit. My wheels cost $500 each and took four months to get here from Japan; I'm not risking some $5/hr dipshit curbing them.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
Like others said, its not a 100k car you are driving, hell its not even a 75k car.
Others have said that... you reiterated it... but all of you are assuming we drive Acura's. Many on here do not. And many have higher end and semi-exotic cars. So that statement only holds water part of the time.

Lastly, regardless of what people are driving, it's their car and if they are not comfortable leaving their car with a valet for fear of abuse, it doesn't matter what it's worth b/c to them, it's worth it not getting damaged or abused.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Others have said that... you reiterated it... but all of you are assuming we drive Acura's. Many on here do not. And many have higher end and semi-exotic cars. So that statement only holds water part of the time.

Lastly, regardless of what people are driving, it's their car and if they are not comfortable leaving their car with a valet for fear of abuse, it doesn't matter what it's worth b/c to them, it's worth it not getting damaged or abused.
Agreed whole heartedly! It doesn't matter what you drive. If you care about your car, take good care of it, and it matters to you, you may not trust other people with it. It could be a brand new E92 M3, or a 1995 Integra with a lot of work done to it. The cost of a car doesn't change the fact that it sucks to come out to your car and find the valet caught a pillar with your rear bumper, or curbed a wheel.

I had a friend in college who was a valet at a popular nightclub. The stories he told me (not just of himself, but of other valets at the club) were terrifying.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Do you drive your car onto the lifts when you drop your car off for service?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by subinf
I don't go to the dealership. I do my own work, or have the shop of a trusted mechanic install my parts. I've got a good alignment/tire shop near me who are accustomed to dealing with slammed sportscars and they have wooden planks to get up on ramps safely.

So to answer your question, no, I don't drop my car off at Acura and leave its well being in the hands of some disinterested 16 year old.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

I do most of my own work as well. When I do go in for service, the manager is my best friend's father-in-law... so I have no problem leaving it.

Even if I did not know them... I would trust an older, certified mechanic who's working to support his family over a 16 y/o valet.

And while I'm sure it happens... I can honestly say that I've personally never known anyone who had a problem with damage at a dealership. Meanwhile, I have heard several stories about damage from valet parking...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
One on the right for me

And that is the difference. I've personally seen lots of dealership problems and have never had a problem with valet. Ever. It just depends on where you go and who you know...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't even drive an Acura.... my car is worth $13k tops and I still wouldn't let a valet touch it. The difference being is that the temptation is WAY greater with my car, the last thing I want to see is a smoky cloud from a burnout or have my car returned to me with a slipping clutch or other.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
boost owns

There are plenty of dealership horror stories if you peruse the forums. Accidents, torn off front lips on ramps, curbed wheels, joyrides... no way. Forget that. There's nothing the dealer can do for my car (which is now out of warranty) that I can't do myself or have someone else do for less money.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

And that is the difference. I've personally seen lots of dealership problems and have never had a problem with valet. Ever. It just depends on where you go and who you know...
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Audioserf
There are plenty of dealership horror stories if you peruse the forums.
I'm sure there are... but at the risk of sounding like an ass... I don't care. I was talking about knowing the people personally b/c I typically frequent all of the same places they do, including dealerships.

So I don't care if someone in California had a problem, I know that at the dealership here, where I and some of my friends/neighbors go, no one has had a problem. Whereas some have had problems with valets.

I can only go by personal experiences and not worry about problems others around the country have experienced which is why I agreed with subinf's last statement...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
One on the right for me

Not like anyone will remember posts I made back in 2005 - but I sort of complained about a valet in Sacramento. My exhaust tip fell off my car - I didn't weld it on entirely because I was unsure of how it would look - initially I thought it was the valet but then I realized I probably did it because I never really look at the back of my car. I just felt like I needed to say that so I don't look like an idiot later in case anyone stumbles across that really random post.