Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
valet park? think again

don't let those minimum wage low life touch your car

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/dri...essionsvalet.*
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I avoid valet. If I don't have a choice I give the guy a $5 up front and tell him to be nice if he want's another $5 when I come back out. Never had an issue.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
At my current job no one else shuttled cars into the bay, it was usually just me. I've never depressed the gas pedal more than halfway on any car before or engaged in any sort of stupid behavior, and I've probably parked hundreds of cars. Never caused any damage, if anything the cars were cleaner or in better condition than when they were brought in (I would throw away napkins on the floor and empty cans, stuff like that)

But I'm unofficially ineligible to become a valet because I have a moving violation ticket on my driving record. I've applied and would love to be a valet as a 2nd job. Everytime I drive somebody's car, whether or not they're there in the car with me, I drive gently and treat it with respect, unless that is, said person encourages flogging of car, so I can get a feel for what its really like.

The thing is you can never tell, even if the person has a clean driving record. That said I wouldn't trust anyone with my car either. I've heard too many stories from people my age about taking a car out for a brief test drive, and one guy at my old job got fired at his other job because of it.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't even have to read the article, all you have to know is human nature and you won't hand over your keys.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
and that is precisely why I drive a 4-cylinder Honda.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
Didn't even have to read the article, all you have to know is human nature and you won't hand over your keys or go out to eat, or send your kids to school, or use a public bathroom, etc.
fixed....
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Race Director

Why would I pay someone to park my car just so I dont have to walk an extra 20 feet?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
I try to never let anyone valet park my car, and if I have no other choice, I make them mark down nothing is wrong, point out the 1 or 2 scratches or marks are there, show them no curb rash, etc. Also give them a 5 and tell them if the car comes back the same way, there will be more of that. Works out pretty well, also I stand and watch while they pull the car away and then listen for any odd noises.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
fixed....
I'm just going to stay at home for the rest of my life!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
fixed....
lol I totally agree with my amended comment but valet parking is one of those things you just don't have to do in order to have a life...the other things 'I' mentioned, well, lets just say i assume that I've eaten all kinds of horrible unintended things at restaurants but choose to accept it as part of the 'experience'. Valeting your car is just asking for it every time.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
Didn't even have to read the article, all you have to know is human nature and you won't hand over your keys.
And you're right: treat people like you want to be treated and the majority of the time they return the favour, but there are always a few bad apples that ruin it for everybody.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Why would I pay someone to park my car just so I dont have to walk an extra 20 feet?
sometimes you don't have a choice. high end restaurants and hotels in downtowns usually have valet parkings only.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TL_Captain
sometimes you don't have a choice. high end restaurants and hotels in downtowns usually have valet parkings only.
"Hey valet, hop in...you can tell me where to park"
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I did this once and they just stared at me, then they let me go by. They didn't even charge me.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

You should read the thread i started about this with a poll. Alot of funny stuff there.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
:ibis300eater:
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
on to the next one...

Meh, it's not like we're driving Ferrari's here or anything.
I tip well and I'm courteous to them, that's really all I can do - and valet is always a better option than walking 5 blocks in a MN winter. If some HS drop-out really wants to wring out my 260hp Acura, whatever, that's what insurance is for...
If you're car is really THAT nice, they won't even take your keys, they'll just leave it out front to show it off.
...Just sayin'...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I almost never valet my car with the exception of one of the higher-end club/lounges we go to... and i only do it there b/c I know everyone including the owners...

One of the few times I did it was hilarious. It was at a higher end restaurant where my wife's Christmas party was and we brought in some decorations which I needed the truck for. At the time the truck was still vinyled with the Ice Cream stuff... so it was hilarious to watch the guys valet that, then bring it around later for pickup
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
It's not always an option, one of the few times I used Valet was at a wedding and they had cars lined up for several hundred yards, waiting to park them. I was lucky to be able to pull into the drive way area, others had to drive around the block and wait. In any case instead of shuttling cars to and fro while having people wait they put the whole force of the staff on ensuring that keys were market appropriately. It was really a slick operation, they had, by far, the best system I've ever used and they refused to accept a tip!

I think you have to use common sense, when Red Lobster has their annual "valet parking night" park the car where you normally would and walk in, can you imagine the toolboxes they have parking cars for their one night only event? On the other hand if you are at a country club and it is standard procedure in a nice area and it truly will improve the quality of your visit, go for it!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I NEVER use valley. I don't see any benefit to handing over some random person to drive and park your car. Plus on top of that you have to pay the fuckers then tip...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Meh, it's not like we're driving Ferrari's here or anything.
I tip well and I'm courteous to them, that's really all I can do - and valet is always a better option than walking 5 blocks in a MN winter. If some HS drop-out really wants to wring out my 260hp Acura, whatever, that's what insurance is for...
If you're car is really THAT nice, they won't even take your keys, they'll just leave it out front to show it off.
...Just sayin'...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
my valet story: i parked my bmw 7 series and when i came back out, i gave them my ticket. the car was parked about 200 feet from me, i could see it. It wasnt that busy outside because i left early from the party. I waited 15 minutes waiting for them to retrieve my car...I told them just give me the valet key and I'll go get it. They insisted not on giving it back so they sent a guy to go get it finally...

the funny thing is that this guy doesnt know how to put the 7 series into gear (the newer model gear switch is on the steering wheel)..so i noticed that he turned on the windshield wiper + fluid (i just wash the dam car), highbeam, a/c on, etc..

SO after awhile he finally got it to reverse and pulled up to me, he left the windshield wiper on and open the door.

gave him a dollar for trying. never parking valet there again lol
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i never valet unless i have to or there's no other choice. i just don't like anyone else driving my car. sure, it's not the greatest car in the world, but i just don't like anyone else driving it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Minimum wage low life huh? Maybe some of them yes. My father has been doing valet in Vegas for in the neighborhood of 18 years. Never once has he been suspended for erratic driving or damaged cars. So to put them all under an umbrella, kind of urkes me.

The only thing that I know of that has happened to him was he got into an old car and when he was parking it in the garage and pulling into the spot, the brakes went completly out so he ran into the wall infront of him. Not hard, no dmg. But he still ran into the wall..
Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i never valet unless i have to or there's no other choice. i just don't like anyone else driving my car. sure, it's not the greatest car in the world, but i just don't like anyone else driving it.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I like to valet. Makes me feel like a big shot!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I don't like doing it as well, if I'm in a mall or something similar I will park it myself. But some other times when it's raining hard and I have the kids with me or being in downtown DC when there is no other choice, I do it.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My step brother used to Valet for Morton's Steakhouse. He admitted he used to go joyriding in people's Ferraris or whatever. I don't think he ever abused the cars though...not that type of guy.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, I just have to respond to this thread, since I am a valet amongst other duties. I don't appreciate the OP's comment, you cannot lump us as a single group as with any profession. Right off the top, I dont make minimum wage, I make less than minimum wage. Tips are everything, we also dont pool tips, so it keeps service at a higher standard than these valet companies. Competition for tips is a good thing, it keeps us all in check. On a good night making $200 in tips is very common, for about 6hrs of work.

I've been at my employer the longest out of all the guys and there's a reason. I'm polite, get good feedback from managers, treat customers like they're royalty and have NEVER had a single accident, not a dent, not a curb, nothing in the last 4yrs.

Little things I bet a valet has never dont for you guys, but I do it and it works. Firstly I keep up to date on how all the cars works, sinc ethey change every year...wheres the trunk switch, door lock, lights...etc. On most cars this doesn't matter, but aston martins, ferraris, lambos, porsches, and BMWs all have their quirks that really confuse your average valet. I remove garbage from cars, leave cold bottled water in the cup holder, and make sure to open doors for people in the correct order which changes a lot. Much of the job is about reading people and figuring out how to get the best tip possible. This may sound like I'm shallow, but that's just how it works, the customer usually even knows that's why we do certain things, but you still get the fat tip.

I've got a funny story, a guy from jersey rolls up in a race ready porsche 997. Guys like this I run for and make sure to first introduce myself and then compliment them on their car. The trick is, knowing what the car is, because that just shocks the shit out them. Anyway this guy wanted the corner spot, our most valued spot, slips me $100 to move it 20ft to the corner spot, then porceeds to tip me $100 a day just to keep the spot.

More things no one ever did for you. I fix cars if I see something that can be fixed. For example, woman leaves me an Envoy with a duct taped rear window, the motor didnt work and it was stuck down. I removed the door panel, all the tape, slip the window up and left it, I didn't even tell her I fixed it. Things like this keep me sane and I can go home knowing I did a selfless act. I also fix flat tires, once I did while the guest was playing golf, he didn't even know it was flat, I took to a local dealership, got a proper tire repair and later handed the guest a copy of the bill($12), so he gave me $60 and said he would never expect such service

I've got so many stories like these, but my point is, were not all scumbags. I've dont some of the bad things on the list, but the guests gave me permission. Like a loud stereo, he told me "crank it up you've got to hear my subs." Or the guy with a new mustang, "go ahead drive it like you stole it, no seriously I mean it."

I always drive slow, since as all valets should know, someone will see you. I've had bad valet at my job, that did speed, but they were terminated pretty quickly. I'll admit one thing, and I hate to even admit it, but it was just one of those things. Guy had a Merc, but not just any, an E55, I did kind of test the acceleration, but safely, and I had already talked about the car at great length with the guy, but I still feel bad, that I did something I shouldn't have...it was your standard hit the gas, holy shit this thing is fast, slow down and park...no biggie.

So I guess I should give you guys some tips.
*tip on the way in and the way out, at the very least just tip. I for one remember cars and if I get a repeat no tip offender they get the spot in the back of the lot(a car has to go there, but we save it for the a$$holes. How can you leave me your $100,000 car and not tip me, that's just insanely idiotic.
*just be polite, we try to do the same, but you'll get better service if you're nice.
*Dont treat us like the OP did. I can read people very well, and I definitely can smell a suspicious people. I treat them very nicely, but none the less cannot stand people that assume I'm a scumbag. I have a better education than 50% of the people I park cars for. I far from an idiot, I do the job for the money, which is very very good btw.
*like the article said, keep your car clean, but dont hesitate to ask the valet where the garbage can is, most of the time will take care of it for you but just in case.
*dont leave us those stupid %$&*ing valet keys.

I think the funniest things people do, is take off their other keys, like were going to rob their house. I mean seriously, I'm going to go drive 300mi. to use your house and rob you. I actually will let people know that once in a while. Just trust them, if you have valuble lock them in the glove box or bring them with you(if you dont trust the valet). It still insults me, when people do this, like taking the GPS out, chargers, CD's...it's like seriously you think this is my big score, haha I have your GPS, I dont care if I get fired now haha.

bit of a rant eh? I feel I must represent the valet industry. I will say, I dont know how valets are in the big cities, so I admit there must be/are bad valets, but were far from being all bad.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
^
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myxomatosis

I think the funniest things people do, is take off their other keys, like were going to rob their house. I mean seriously, I'm going to go drive 300mi. to use your house and rob you. I actually will let people know that once in a while. Just trust them, if you have valuble lock them in the glove box or bring them with you(if you dont trust the valet). It still insults me, when people do this, like taking the GPS out, chargers, CD's...it's like seriously you think this is my big score, haha I have your GPS, I dont care if I get fired now haha.

bit of a rant eh? I feel I must represent the valet industry. I will say, I dont know how valets are in the big cities, so I admit there must be/are bad valets, but were far from being all bad.

thing is, valets like yourself probably arent the norm. so you shouldnt take offense when people take out their GPS and such because they've probably had poor service in the past
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
If you really think that this applies to all valets then you are a fucking moron. That is about as dumb as saying that all dealerships suck because they can't wash a car or they rip your off, or that all independent mechanics can't fix your car as well as the dealer, blah blah blah.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by subinf
If you really think that this applies to all valets then you are a fucking moron. That is about as dumb as saying that all dealerships suck because they can't wash a car or they rip your off, or that all independent mechanics can't fix your car as well as the dealer, blah blah blah.
exactly...hence my rant, I hate the stereotype valets get. Usually 1/2 our guys are good, I've never heard of anyone stealing or joyriding. We just wouldn't allow such a thing. By good, I mean fast, always polite, can drive stick shift(), aren't afraid of expensive cars(this one is good for me ), and follow procedures.

At my place, the only thing that happens with high proportion is bell carts rolling down the steps into cars. However it's usually the guest that did something wrong which caused it to roll off. This past year we had only one accident, a mirror being broken off....but we pay for such things.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Infamous425
thing is, valets like yourself probably arent the norm. so you shouldnt take offense when people take out their GPS and such because they've probably had poor service in the past
I know I'm not your average valet, simply because, since I've been there 27 other valets have come and gone. I also know because once and a while important people see my skills and hire me for side jobs. I know I shouldn't take it to heart, but when it happens so much, it gets to you a bit. On a whole people do trust us, they're there to have a good time and we're the first ones to greet them.

oh yeah and if you tip less than $2, just keep it because you need it more. A guy once said to me, "it's your lucky night I have some change left over from the night" so go get his car and he gives me 76cents. I wanted to throw it at him.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Another gripe is forgetting to explain a car's quirks, such as complex security systems or aftermarket modifications — including vertically opening gullwing doors. "When one of the valets pulled the door open [on a 2005 Mustang convertible], we heard a horrible crunching noise and the door wouldn't move. What the owner had neglected to tell anyone was that he had a 'Lambo' door conversion kit on the car, and that the door didn't open as normal."
Ummm...understandeable....HOWEVER, would the valet see the person getting out of the car and acknowledge that the car has these kinds of doors? I mean someone parked it knowing that it has those kind of doors, logic would tell you that the company would put a notation on the tag for the next valet who is picking up the car to know this before bringing it back to the customer...

I hate valet parking too, but that comment above is a pretty fkn lame excuse...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Ummm...understandeable....HOWEVER, would the valet see the person getting out of the car and acknowledge that the car has these kinds of doors? I mean someone parked it knowing that it has those kind of doors, logic would tell you that the company would put a notation on the tag for the next valet who is picking up the car to know this before bringing it back to the customer...

I hate valet parking too, but that comment above is a pretty fkn lame excuse...
I would have make a notation, for something like that I'd add an extra tag to explain it. I dont always write notes, but I do for things like weird alarms and manual shift. Alarms are my pet peeve. Subaru's and after market alarms

I mean a lot of it is just common sense. The guy in that article is an idiot. If the damn door doesn't open, don't yank on it, find the owner if you cannot figure the door out. It's not that hard.

I'll give a short list of cars that are weird or unusual, but we didn't even have to ask, because were not idiots...
a 1930's triumph
an actual race car, (super-charged viper, with no reverse)
1967 corvette
DB9(has hidden door handles, I figured it out immediately, but some didnt)
prius(this is the biggest pita car every conceived.)
New jags
the column gear controls(I have no problem, but a lot of guy get in and have no idea what to do.)
older porsche's, nothing is labeled very well)
I thought I was going to have a lot more, but those are the only ones I can think of. Cars I love parking but scare the crap out of me; Bentley's and Ferrari's. nothing really weird, it's more that I have ridiculous respect for cars and these just make you feel like a kid in a candy shop or like your carrying a fine porcelain vase.

but really cases like the lambo doors, just means that particular person should not be a valet, since he obviously does not respect cars.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
this thread has become an essay.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others said, its not a 100k car you are driving, hell its not even a 75k car. Many people fail to realize the kind of insurance valet companys have. The valet company that worked the same club as me over the summer, had something like a $1million dollar policy or something crazy. So if anything happens to your car, they will cover it.

Now I LOVE my car, and dont trust anyone driving, but I do valet my car. If you tip them a few bucks before, they will park your car VERY close to the place, and make sure nothing happens to it.

I have worked with MANY different valets over the past 2 years. As with any other job, there are good employees, and bad employees. The majority(90%) of them, were good. I have only witnessed 1 accident over the past 2 years, and i worked an average of 4 days per week. Only reason the accident happen was because the guy didn't know how to drive stick.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Im still waiting for you to call paypal....
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,170 Likes on 685 Posts
yea valet always scares me but what can you do. Some buildings, including one I lived at, only do valet and it is nice but sucks at the same time. I hate having to carry cash to tip them every time I take my car out or in

Quick Reply: valet park? think again