Unhappy With Your Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
You might also be very interested/happy with Buick. They're a bit ahead of Acura these days.
Hey, if that's your thing, go you.

But as for me? No, I don't prefer Buicks - they're almost as ugly as recent Audis! At least the cabin noise in a Buick isn't as piss poor as BMWs though? Oh, and I could see how you'd prefer a Buick over Audi in order to avoid Audi's shitty air conditioner reliability and absolutely awful customer service in response to a known design flaw? Still not my thing though. Or do you prefer Buicks because of Audi's recent emissions scandals? I could see not wanting to do business with such a scummy company? No, no matter how many reasons YOU may have to love Buicks, I simply don't dig them. Sorry.

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-13-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Hey, if that's your thing, go you.

But as for me? No, I don't prefer Buicks - they're almost as ugly as recent Audis! At least the cabin noise in a Buick isn't as piss poor as BMWs though? Oh, and I could see how you'd prefer a Buick over Audi in order to avoid Audi's shitty air conditioner reliability and absolutely awful customer service in response to a known design flaw? Still not my thing though. Or do you prefer Buicks because of Audi's recent emissions scandals? I could see not wanting to do business with such a scummy company? No, no matter how many reasons YOU may have to love Buicks, I simply don't dig them. Sorry.
Do you even know the first thing about which you’re blathering? Fuck its starting to sound like saintor jr.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 01-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
Flipster23 (01-16-2018), TacoBello (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 PM
The Third Ball

And its a rhetorical question. We all know you do not.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:00 PM
Pro

One time the car the rental company gave me was a Buick Century - pleh I hated that car, felt more like a boat than driving a car. I like boats, when they're in the water.

The last time I had a Buick it was a 1987 Buick Skylark with a loose steering wheel and studded snow tires, in the summer. I caught 75 feet of air in that car, by the time it came to a stop it looked almost like God had reached down and crumpled it up like a ball of foil. When the emergency responded arrived, and ran to the car to see if there was anyone left alive in it, I had already crawled out the window and was fine - I walked over to him and said "I'm OK, don't worry, nobody else in the car" he looked at me like I was fucking insane, and why was I bothering him when he was trying to rescue people?!? Uh, no, really, it's just me that was in the car. ER: What?!?! Are you shitting me? Me: nope, but I think I did hit my nose on the steering wheel - about that time the bridge of my nose had started swelling, I think it had been fractured. He popped an instant ice pack, I applied it to my nose and the swelling subsided almost immediately. I think the woman who had been standing in her house, in front of her picture window having a morning cup of tea in her night gown may have actually hurt herself worse than I was, when she came running out her front door and fell flat on her face in the middle of her lawn. I had actually gotten out of my car fast enough to see her open her front door and come running out. That must have been because I'd seen too many movies where the car blows up after an accident that bad - I wanted to get the fuck out of my car before it blew up. However, there was no fire at all, just some leaked fluids.
German car :P :LOL:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sarlac
Do you even know the first thing about which you’re blathering? Fuck its starting to sound like saintor jr.
Even if people do commonly complain about wind noise being "annoying" when driving the BMW X3 at speeds over 60 MPH, it does seem like one of the nicest SUVs out there, IMO. I'm sure it's still a lot quieter than my Scion xD was on the highway though - of course, it can't even come close to how quiet the current Buick LaCrosse is. You might not like the fact that a Buick is substantially quieter than your BMW, but it is. I really do like the look of your model BMW I hate large SUVs, and I think they're a menace to society but I don't mind the smaller ones so much.

Look, just because I got a little salty and decided to be a smart ass, doesn't mean that what I said was incorrect.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
And its a rhetorical question. We all know you do not.
Sorry Sarlacc, but you're wrong in this case - if you take issue with anything I've said, I'll be more than happy to explain to you either why I was correct, or, admit my mistake. Almost all of what I said here, is either backed up by solid evidence, or, a matter of subjective opinion.

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-13-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Saintor Jr
Sorry Sarlacc, but you're wrong in this case - if you take issue with anything I've said, I'll be more than happy to explain to you either why I was correct, or, admit my mistake. Almost all of what I said here, is either backed up by solid evidence, or, a matter of subjective opinion.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200
Old 01-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Do they have this in a Type S?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako

There was one. But it was destroyed in an agricultural catastrophe.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Pro

Hey, that's the same color that mine* was - I never liked "Burgundy" cars.

Obviously, Type T is one letter superior to Type S. "T" stands for Track, "S" is merely Sport. I wonder how many of those you would have actually seen on the Track? More than the inferior Sport version, right?

By the way Mike, when quoting messages you can leave out the large photos, makes the threads look cleaner not having multiple copies of the same photo in a row...

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I'd take any 1 of these Skylark's over a TLX any day.

Unhappy With Your Acura?-s90tfxw.jpg
Unhappy With Your Acura?-f5yha8q.jpg
Unhappy With Your Acura?-pzorhol.jpg
Sarlacc (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Pro

The classic ones, yes, a lot cooler than the 1987 turd of a Skylark that I had... Not my favorite classic car, but they do look nice.

The closest to a "classic" car that I've had, was the 1981 Formula Firebird, like this one, but in black and the "Formula" version with the hood scoop and the Qudrajet carburator.

Unhappy With Your Acura?-1981-firebird.jpeg

I thought that car was pretty cool at the time, particularly since I wasn't a rich boy who's daddy bought him a Ferrari, like some of the people in the small town where I lived, which called itself "The Village Beautiful" (Williamstown, MA) :P

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-14-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Anything can be a Type S if you put a $5 sticker on the back.
mrmako (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

By the way Mike, you are my hero
Well aware of the capability thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Pro

Brembo is a brand known to consumers as a quality brake - you know a company like Honda is big enough that they are going to be able to buy the brakes at a much lower price than we would pay for them aftermarket, and, they can certainly get them in whatever configuration is most appropriate to perform well on their car. So, while I'm not an "expert" on designing cars, or even just brakes, it's clear to see that I am not the "stupid" one, the person who is calling me stupid, is obviously the one being stupid here (for calling me dumb to suggest putting Brembos on the next TLX to boost it's image).

Even KIA is using Brembo brakes, next gen TLX has got to be superior to KIA, at the very least:

Unhappy With Your Acura?-even-kia-has-brembos.jpg

I'm fairly new around here, perhaps someone could be so kind to tell me if Sarlacc is a troll who should simply be ignored?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 AM
The Third Ball

Brembo is a brand known to consumers as a quality brake - you know a company like Honda is big enough that they are going to be able to buy the brakes at a much lower price than we would pay for them aftermarket, and, they can certainly get them in whatever configuration is most appropriate to perform well on their car. So, while I'm not an "expert" on designing cars, or even just brakes, it's clear to see that I am not the "stupid" one, the person who is calling me stupid, is obviously the one being stupid here (for calling me dumb to suggest putting Brembos on the next TLX to boost it's image).

Even KIA is using Brembo brakes, next gen TLX has got to be superior to KIA, at the very least:

Attachment 93447

I'm fairly new around here, perhaps someone could be so kind to tell me if Sarlacc is a troll who should simply be ignored?
Butt hurt much?

I never said anything in regards to brembos or brakes...but 'll circle back there in a minute.

No one complains that X3 has road noise issues over 60mph, because it doesn't. And since you went snooping around my sig to see that I have an X3, you also saw I have big ol' monster SUV...and I love it, I'm proud of it, and I'd be honored to run you off the road in it.

As for Kia offering a Brembo package over the TLX...Why don't you be more specific as to the model. The new KIA Stinger...a RWD sport sedan. Never mind the fact that Brembo can be branding and marketing just as much as they do make high end performance braking set ups. They also make just "brembos" where in many instances stock brakes or upgraded pads will do just as a good of a job as the extra money spent for a name on your calipers.

So, let's just come back to the larger topic of you flapping your fingers everywhere yet having no worthwhile or knowledgable content...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I mean if I spent ~$40k on a TLX, I'd be mad too!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Correct. He is clearly one of those people.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Saintor
you of all the worthless people on this forum
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
kurtatx (01-15-2018), TacoBello (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Butt hurt much?

I never said anything in regards to brembos or brakes...but 'll circle back there in a minute.

No one complains that X3 has road noise issues over 60mph, because it doesn't. And since you went snooping around my sig to see that I have an X3, you also saw I have big ol' monster SUV...and I love it, I'm proud of it, and I'd be honored to run you off the road in it.

As for Kia offering a Brembo package over the TLX...Why don't you be more specific as to the model. The new KIA Stinger...a RWD sport sedan. Never mind the fact that Brembo can be branding and marketing just as much as they do make high end performance braking set ups. They also make just "brembos" where in many instances stock brakes or upgraded pads will do just as a good of a job as the extra money spent for a name on your calipers.

So, let's just come back to the larger topic of you flapping your fingers everywhere yet having no worthwhile or knowledgable content...
To digress a bit, my old Volvo V70 wagon had Brembo as OEM brakes. And they were known to warp very easily. Not everything they do is gold (or red in color)

Sarlacc is not a troll. I think all of us like to have fun at someone's expense when they say some things, that, well, should have been left in Ramblings. Go there if you really want to be trolled.

But to the point, I don't think a TLX with Brembo 4 pot or 6 pot calipers will be the shiny nugget that draws in the car buyers cross shopping at the S4/ATS V-Sport/ATS-V/CLA 45AMG/Q70 area (I probably left off some other good sports sedans).

The thing is, Honda has been milking the Civic and Accord platform for a lot of years with the ILX/TSX/TL/TLX cars, and it's now to a point where Acura just does not stand out anymore. I guess if a TLX fully loaded with SH-AWD is around $38-40 it's very doable. But starting at $33K with 204HP just does not cut it. And $45K for a loaded up A-Spec? for 290HP? For @#$% sake. I can load up an Audi S3 for close to the price of the A-Spec, or a loaded A4 but less power or a nicely configured 330i for $46K.

The TLX just doesn't make sense in its current form.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Having Brembo used to be somewhat a big deal.... like 15 years ago... when i had my G35C with Gold caliper. I mean in those days, there were only a few "affordable" cars that come with 4 pot calipers. Even M3 did not have Brembo.

Nowadays, everyone and their mom can get Brembo on the car. My car has Brembo and BMW does not even bother to paint it or even list it on the window sticker.

But yah just because it is Brembo, does not automatically mean it is good. 1 set of brembo could cost you $2,000 and other set might cost you $20,000.
remember i drove an EVO once many years ago and it was scary because its Brembo sucked so bad
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Naw, not a troll. Here's what you need to know about Sarlacc:

- He's extremely talented with a camera...especially ones used to make movies and TV shows.
- He is a HUGE Star Wars fan (hence the username)
- He has twin boys (who hopefully look like their mom)
- He's a major FCA (e.g. Dodge) fanboy
- He may be aggressive in his responses and criticisms...from time-to-time
- He's so dumb that he thought my E60 M5 was UGLY!
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
Christopher. (01-15-2018), TacoBello (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Wanna see Trolls? Someone please direct him to Saintor and SSFTSX. Text book!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Saintor
you of all the worthless people on this forum
MODERATOR NOTE - Let's give it a rest.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by ttribe
Naw, not a troll. Here's what you need to know about Sarlacc:

- He's extremely talented with a camera...especially ones used to make movies and TV shows.
- He is a HUGE Star Wars fan (hence the username)
- He has twin boys (who hopefully look like their mom)
- He's a major FCA (e.g. Dodge) fanboy
- He may be aggressive in his responses and criticisms...from time-to-time
Was?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Was?
Using the past tense to refer to the fact that I no longer own it...not that it looks different...smart-ass.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I want to hear the uninformed uh... nice guy... to keep telling me about brand name parts because of... just the brand name. The fool sees Brembo and thinks they're gods gift to automobiles...

in reality, they can be huge pains in the ass and complete pieces of shit. Ever see someone strip the aluminum threads on a brembo caliper? Yep. Try moving your car then. Or just wait a week for parts to come in so you can rethread the caliper.

Again, entry level brembos are no better than oem brakes. The only benefit is looks and brake fade during racing. It is impossible to suffer brake fade in the city on oem brakes. It just will not and cannot happen. I've tried and to no avail. You need to be full out racing.

all the fool wants is to be able to tell the people he works with, around the water cooler, that he has wicked awesome brembos. To which theyll respond with "thats nice" and walk away from him because he is the social pariah of the office.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM
The Third Ball

Using the past tense to refer to the fact that I no longer own it...not that it looks different...smart-ass.
I agree. Still one of the ugliest bimmers ever! 😁
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Possibly the first time EVER me and sarlacc agree.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Pro

Well Mr. Mako, you're offering me a reasonable argument and not just saying :"Christopher dumb, ugh! He like brembo must be thoopid"
...Honda has been milking the Civic and Accord platform for a lot of years with the ILX/TSX/TL/TLX cars, and it's now to a point where Acura just does not stand out anymore. I guess if a TLX fully loaded with SH-AWD is around $38-40 it's very doable. But starting at $33K with 204HP just does not cut it. And $45K for a loaded up A-Spec? for 290HP? For @#$% sake. I can load up an Audi S3 for close to the price of the A-Spec, or a loaded A4 but less power or a nicely configured 330i for $46K. The TLX just doesn't make sense in its current form.
Right, well, that's why I take issue with the people saying the new "Type S" TLX should cost $50K - $60K - with the TLX Acura needs to deliver more excitement per $, IMO. I got a new 2018 V6 Tech package TLX for approximately $35K (when considering the additional $1,000 trade in allowance over what Honda offered) and that seems like a fair price to me, for what I got.

What nobody here seems to want to answer is this: considering that we agree that Acura has, at least somewhat, "lost it's way" in terms of not providing performance living up to it's marketing hype, exactly how should the next Acura sedan in the $35K - $40K price range come equipped?

There are different questions - one being what do they need to offer to compete with the Kia Stinger/BMW 3 Series, Audi 3/4 Series and the other question being regarding the model below that - the "entry" and more mid level sedan "base" model, how should it be differetiated from/superior to the 2.0T equipped Accord?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

An S4 is about a $12k premium over a similarly equipped A4. An Acura that would compete with an S4 at $50-60k would be very at a pretty good price advantage within the class.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Well Mr. Mako, you're offering me a reasonable argument and not just saying :"Christopher dumb, ugh! He like brembo must be thoopid"

Right, well, that's why I take issue with the people saying the new "Type S" TLX should cost $50K - $60K - with the TLX Acura needs to deliver more excitement per $, IMO. I got a new 2018 V6 Tech package TLX for approximately $35K (when considering the additional $1,000 trade in allowance over what Honda offered) and that seems like a fair price to me, for what I got.

What nobody here seems to want to answer is this: considering that we agree that Acura has, at least somewhat, "lost it's way" in terms of not providing performance living up to it's marketing hype, exactly how should the next Acura sedan in the $35K - $40K price range come equipped?

There are different questions - one being what do they need to offer to compete with the Kia Stinger/BMW 3 Series, Audi 3/4 Series and the other question being regarding the model below that - the "entry" and more mid level sedan "base" model, how should it be differetiated from/superior to the 2.0T equipped Accord?
So at $35K, did you get SH-AWD? You got a good price on a very competent car, so if Acura did this right they would do their entry level car at about $36K with ~300HP and good features and possibly the option of a manual. That would have some value and best a lot of cars that are similar. Then have another level with ~375HP or more, with a lot more tech goodies for ~$44-46K. If that can be done while making a profit, that is what should be done. But I have no idea if it can. Granted, Honda can re-skin their current Accord to save some $$$. But would it make sense financially?

Oh, and the benchmark is always the 3 series. While I love the A4 (especially when they offered it with an MT), the 3 is really where Acura has to shoot for. The 5 series and the A6 are well above where they play at right now.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by svtmike
An S4 is about a $12k premium over a similarly equipped A4. An Acura that would compete with an S4 at $50-60k would be very at a pretty good price advantage within the class.
Sure. If they can offer more power and features for less money it's a winner.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

Acura just needs to higher Chris. He knows all about how to add extra features and make more power for free
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Alright, people, let's make a new thread that marks the rise of Acura. A stylish redesign of the new RDX. The announcement of the Type-S return. I think they threw us all for a 360 on this one. Hopefully, they release a new RLX replacement soon that continues the trend.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by robscharp05
Alright, people, let's make a new thread that marks the rise of Acura. A stylish redesign of the new RDX. The announcement of the Type-S return. I think they threw us all for a 360 on this one. Hopefully, they release a new RLX replacement soon that continues the trend.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Acura just needs to higher Chris. He knows all about how to add extra features and make more power for free
*hire. FFS.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
360 puts you back where you started.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
360 puts you back where you started.
I think that's his point. Right?

More if the same ol' same ol'.

"It's that kind of thrill"
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts

First of all, Brembo is a brand. They make everything from the 8 pot calipers, ceramic rotors, and track pads on a LaFerrari to the pads and rotors that you put on a Kia Rio.

Do you track your car? Guessing with 99.99% certainty that you do not so 6 pot calipers are going to bring you exactly 0 benefit other than being a little more heavy.

If you drive your car at 40mph and slam on the brakes, do the wheels lock up? If yes, the brakes are more than sufficient and it's now up to your tires to stop the car faster.

Originally Posted by svtmike
Hell, even the Kia Stinger GT STARTS at $40k. A well equipped AWD model will easily run up to the high $40k range and a fully optioned one passes $50k. Saying a TLX Type S will be $45k-$55k MSRP is an almost certainty at this point.
00TL-P3.2 (01-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Unhappy With Your Acura?