Unhappy With Your Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think they only exist because they have to...
there's a reason that in Japan everything is just branded Honda and we don't get the cool versions here.
Maybe they're still sour over WWII?
That was the one thing I noticed having lived iin Japan, no Acura. Lexus is sold there, but Infiniti is not. There are some Infiniti cars there, but very few, and no dedicated dealerships. Honda only has Honda there.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Couldn't have said it better.

Come on; let those kraut-mobile owners come here EVERY SINGLE DAY to tell us how Acura is a bad brand. This is the smoking gun outlining their stupidity. Do you need more evidence ? None needed. LOL.
hey fanboy, there is literally TONS of quantifiable data and evidence that ranks Acura well below "Kraut Mobiles". Objective evidence and driver reviews, sales records...you name it. Just because you bought an Acura and drive an Acura does not make it the best. Snap the fuck out of it.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
That was the one thing I noticed having lived iin Japan, no Acura. Lexus is sold there, but Infiniti is not. There are some Infiniti cars there, but very few, and no dedicated dealerships. Honda only has Honda there.
that's because Acura is a north american brand.
the brand recently expanded to china.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Couldn't have said it better.

Come on; let those kraut-mobile owners come here EVERY SINGLE DAY to tell us how Acura is a bad brand. This is the smoking gun outlining their stupidity. Do you need more evidence ? None needed. LOL.
What part of "Quit your trolling" did you not understand?
The following 4 users liked this post by ttribe:
1killercls (01-02-2018), mrmako (01-02-2018), RDX10 (01-04-2018), Rocket_man (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
This makes me wonder if any of the Acura management visits Azine for candid feedback, or if they even care to know anything like Azine even exists.
I'd like to hope so but I doubt it. How many Acura sales are represented by active members of this forum? Maybe 0.1%? Even the inactive registered members, still probably <1%.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
And then the abominations of the 4G TL and 2G TSX were birthed upon us. Mechanically, the 4G TL was an upgrade over the 3G, in many ways. But it was butt ugly.
I like the looks of my 4G But I'll admit, if I weren't focused on function more than form, I probably wouldn't have bought a 4G.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
One, the lot of you are arguing about matters of preference. That's just stupid.

Two, did you really put a "Type-S" badge on your TLX?
Originally Posted by Christopher.
It's just a sticker - a place holder, until a real Type-S is released... Instead of these silly appearance only packages, I want the Type-S to be only about performance - 100% about performance, I want a TLX with nothing but the engine and suspension changed : Twin Turbo V6 3.0L and higher performance (active) suspension. I assume they won't do that, but they should. If Acura doesn't, well, then I may just have to install a Supercharger on my TLX eventually.
So yes then? And a placeholder for what? A new car? Acura is surely not going to sell you an upgrade package lol.

You're the type of dude that stuffs his pants with a sock aren't you?

Originally Posted by Flipster23
As I agree with you, I don't think Acura will do this. They're already behind.

The Accord 2.0T is excellent, interior is pretty nice, exterior though.... :cringe:
Looks are subjective, I actually like the exterior of the Sport a lot. The interior is better still. The Accord 2.0T 6MT is currently in my top 3 new car list for later this spring.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think Honda is Honda's bread and butter and they're tired of catering to the pseudo luxury crowd that's never satisfied anyway. They're happy to lose those customer's to the "higher end" brands...they'll stick to being profitable from lawnmower, pressure washer, small craft and Honda branded vehicles.
PS, fully loaded Accords are probably within 5K of the TLX...times how many more units of the Accord...

They ain't even skurred...
There hasn't been a reason to buy an Acura sedan since the 9G Accord hit dealerships. There hasn't been a reason to buy any Acura (NSX aside) since the current gen Pilot and CRV's hit the lots. They should just cut their losses and move on at this point.

I wish Quattro still came with a 6MT.
It definitely is still available.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2832/overview/

Originally Posted by kurtatx
To me, Acura sucks because it's not a lot better than its economy brand at anything. Serious question: Why would I EVER pay for a FWD Acura sedan? Why would anyone ever do that?

The SH-AWD Acuras push well into the upscale but then other shortcomings are exposed. It's not Acura's fault per se. I have to believe it's Honda that is of fault here. BMW and Mercedes operate autonomously. Audi gets a lot of free reign from VAG. Acuras are designed like the parent company is giving little to no slack.
So...slap the AWD system from the TLX onto the Accord as an option and call it a day. Most people don't realize that AWD doesn't help you stop or turn, tires do. And most people aren't driving their TLX/Accord hard enough to notice any difference anyway.

Acura is a NA market only brand right? I'm not sure it's sold anywhere else. Also, a lot of the Honda products are NA market only as well.
1killercls (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Talking Acura is NA And It Shows

Cliffs: Honda did not create a luxury brand in Japan, as Lexus did. They kept their core cars as Honda. Acura sales are lagging others by a wide margin, and this is cars only, no SUV's. They only sell one large car domestically, and can only tap the Accord spigot for so long.

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's because Acura is a North American brand.
the brand recently expanded to china.
Sure. Infiniti and Lexus were created as NA brands, but the name Lexus become synonymous with luxury. And in Japan that means something. So it was pitched as a direct rival to Mercedes and BMW (Audi was still a bit fringe there). I remember many a "Lexus ES" being a Toyota Windom, or the GS being an Aristo. When Lexus started there, they sold both models for a while. Toyota had the upper, "Oyaji" (old Japanese guy) market with the Crown series of cars. They wanted to bring the younger demographic in and with Lexus they saw that and it's been a hit.

Nissan saw the success of Lexus and brought some models over but quickly abandoned it as they saw no market. An M35/45 sold as an Infiniti made zero sense in Japan, as a Fuga (M35/45) with the same features had it's niche in the market. In Japan, Nissan is a brand with more "Kei cars" (660cc engine cars), but they also have the Skyline and the GT-R. They are not really a player in the luxury market there.

Honda brought over the Euro Accord as the TSX for the USA, and the 2G TL was sold as the Saber (the one I owned). Honda sold the Legend as a Honda. So they brought those from Japan, not a real engineering change, Same with the Vigor. So early on, Honda created Acura and brought over JDM models as LHD with nice features to compete with Lexus/Infiniti and had some success as these were proven models of luxury with sportiness and trusted Honda reliability (and that died pretty quickly with our transmissions). So the Legend/Saber/Vigor/ died with no replacement.

So the problem with Honda was the Acura brand strayed away from what it started as. Lexus, if you remember, was a pretty boring car to start with, They developed the sporty side as Acura abdicated that part of the business (mid to late 2000's) to go with styling that was an utter disgrace. They have yet to recover. The only thing keeping them afloat is SUV sales. Kill those and Acura dies.

Acura did have a decent market share in 2016:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/287620/luxury-vehicles-united-states-premium-vehicle-market-share/

So lets look at the mid size luxury market. Acura has only one vehicle there. The RLX. And it's numbers are abysmal:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/287751/midsize-luxury-vehicles-sales-by-make-in-the-united-states/

For entry level, the TLX is holding it's own, and the ILX is not good:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/287722/entry-luxury-vehicles-sales-by-make-in-the-united-states/

So as a car brand, Acura has a lot of work to do. The TLX could be the direction to go but they need to improve the product to really compete. They can't draw from Japanese models for their inspiration, as the only larger sedan they make there is the Accord Hybrid (at nearly $40K). So is there another car Honda JDM could tap? Nope:

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCORD/

I agree Justnspace, an NA company. But they are failing at building cars that are competitive in the marketplace.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrmako:
1killercls (01-02-2018), justnspace (01-02-2018), Saintor (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
What part of "Quit your trolling" did you not understand?
It is not trolling; it is the bare truth.

Acura did have a decent market share in 2016:
And overall they are close to Caddy and even did beat Infiniti which has many more dedicated platforms (and probably much higher costs).
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-market-share/

So yes they have their place.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Not sure how calling someone "stupid" represents the truth.

Last edited by kurtatx; 01-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
ttribe (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

And overall they are close to Caddy and even did beat Infiniti which has many more dedicated platforms (and probably much higher costs).
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-market-share/

So yes they have their place.

You know that market share is being hold by 1 model right ? (MDX)
So let's just say MDX is doing great but Acura failed.
RDX10 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:37 PM

I'm referring to the childish name calling and inflammatory comments. Now, stop it. You've been warned.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You know that market share is being hold by 1 model right ? (MDX)
So let's just say MDX is doing great but Acura failed.
If I could dig up the stats (combination of lazy/not enough time today) I would, but I bet there is a precipitous slide in Acura sales (minus the MDX) from 2008 onward. And all of us here owned one and loved/hated certain aspects of the car at one time, but no one wants to see them fail; however they are.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrmako:
oonowindoo (01-05-2018), TacoBello (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
So yes then? And a placeholder for what? A new car? Acura is surely not going to sell you an upgrade package lol.
Umm, until a real TLX Type S is available? If they never do make a legit Type S, then eventually I'll install a turbo, but not until the car is at least a few years old

[Warning: Off Topic follows:]
You're the type of dude that stuffs his pants with a sock aren't you?
I once put a cucumber in my pocket and then gently took my boss lady's hand and placed it on the cucumber, for the sake of amusement. But no, no socks in my underwear.

Before I became married with children, the way I tried to impress women was by talking to them. I even had one ex-girlfriend straight up tell me: "I didn't even think you were sexy until after you f--ked me." As often as not, I got rejected by "ordinary" looking girls that you might rate a "6" or a "7" (on a good day) - I mostly only had luck with girls that were so hot, that all the other guys were basically afraid to talk to them.

Another reason I didn't need sock stuffing was this: one time I was in a small tent with a girl at a summer festival in Vermont (and lots of people outside could hear us) and she *gasped* and said "oh, it's so big" - it's not big, but she was a virgin and had not seen a hard one in person before, so she was surprised. Needless to say, word spread around and I had no desire to prove the rumors to be wrong.
[/off topic]

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-04-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy with everything. Acura is not what it used to be. Horrible transmissions. Pushy service advisors. Lacking the luxury quotient of competitors and even previous Acura models. I miss the 04-06 days when even the RL was ahead of its competitors. Acura is just another brand that is sub-par. I will not leave the brand but I hope it improves soon. The new Lexus LS sure does look very nice. The new Accord's head unit is even better than the updated TLX's. I miss the wood and leather interiors of Acura's.
RDX10 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
If I could dig up the stats (combination of lazy/not enough time today) I would, but I bet there is a precipitous slide in Acura sales (minus the MDX) from 2008 onward. And all of us here owned one and loved/hated certain aspects of the car at one time, but no one wants to see them fail; however they are.
I personally see Acura being at a good position right now to where they have free reign to choose their direction as a brand. They don’t command the same brand prestige as a Lexus or BMW or MB however people can generally agree that Acura is still seen as a premium if not luxury brand. People still respect Acura and it hasn’t fallen to nothing (think Buick and Lincoln). Their job now is basically simple, do not fuck it up. That’s all. Stop shoving that abomination ZF9 into everything, get over the J35, stop being so damn polarizing (sorry but that diamond pentagon thing is nasty to look at) and for the love of god dress up your interiors and eliminate that nav setup that looks like it has since 2003. If you want to be boring luxury, then do it. If you want to be sporty then do it. But don’t spew bullshit like “precision crafted performance” and show creampuffs like the RDX on a race track. People who spend that kind of money want to see where their money has gone and feel it too. So in that regard bring on gimmicky shit too like LED ambient lighting all over the place, LED red carpets (google search the new 7 series “red carpet” if you are confused)...etc. Stop being Honda+ and all buisness class with the interior. Lastly for the love of all that is holy, just fucken get over the silver painted plastic this is not 2003 anymore.
mrmako (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Umm, until a real TLX Type S is available? If they never do make a legit Type S, then eventually I'll install a turbo, but not until the car is at least a few years old

I once put a cucumber in my pocket and then gently took my boss lady's hand and placed it on the cucumber, for the sake of amusement. But no, no socks in my underwear.

Before I became married with children, the way I tried to impress women was by talking to them. I even had one ex-girlfriend straight up tell me: "I didn't even think you were sexy until after you f--ked me." As often as not, I got rejected by "ordinary" looking girls that you might rate a "6" or a "7" (on a good day) - I mostly only had luck with girls that were so hot, that all the other guys were basically afraid to talk to them.

Another reason I didn't need sock stuffing was this: one time I was in a small tent with a girl at a summer festival in Vermont (and lots of people outside could hear us) and she *gasped* and said "oh, it's so big" - it's not big, but she was a virgin and had not seen a hard one in person before, so she was surprised. Needless to say, word spread around and I had no desire to prove the rumors to be wrong.
[/off topic]
Ok.....
Old 01-04-2018, 07:46 PM

[/off topic]
MODERATOR NOTE: Okay, that's enough of this little derail. No more please.
The following 6 users liked this post by ttribe:
Christopher. (01-04-2018), Joecop67 (01-04-2018), kurtatx (01-04-2018), RPhilMan1 (01-05-2018), svtmike (01-04-2018), TacoBello (01-05-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by robscharp05
I will not leave the brand
Genuinely curious... why not?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by svtmike
Genuinely curious... why not?
Primarily because my family has owned six Acura's. I have owned two now. Many times I think I want to swap, but I cant. I still have hope in the brand. They're not bad cars, but could be better. I am a fan of the RLX. I think it is well built. As for the other models, they need improvement. I would love to see 4-Door Coupe and a true full-size flagship.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Primarily because my family has owned six Acura's. I have owned two now. Many times I think I want to swap, but I cant. I still have hope in the brand. They're not bad cars, but could be better. I am a fan of the RLX. I think it is well built. As for the other models, they need improvement. I would love to see 4-Door Coupe and a true full-size flagship.
IMO, brand loyalty in this day and age is a fool's errand. At any given time, there are so many better choices; not only versus Acura, but compared to just about any brand. There's probably never been so much choice geared at individual tastes and preferences.
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
juniorbean (01-08-2018), losiglow (01-05-2018), TacoBello (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
IMO, brand loyalty in this day and age is a fool's errand. At any given time, there are so many better choices; not only versus Acura, but compared to just about any brand. There's probably never been so much choice geared at individual tastes and preferences.
My dad is notoriously brand loyal to Chevy. I spent way too much time in broken down cars to ever be loyal to one brand again. It's one thing to buy for a badge, it's another thing to repeat-buy for a badge.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
TacoBello (01-05-2018), ttribe (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Thank you for that bit of patience - sometimes I should know better than to respond to trolls, but I don't always think [carefully] before replying. I guess I took his bait and ran with it :embarrassed:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree with this 100%. I have zero brand loyalty nowadays. I simply cannot stick to a single product/brand simply based on the badge or name when there is such a fierce competition and no single brand has a monopoly on any single quantifiable area. I was talking to a friend recently about how you almost can’t go wrong with new cars anymore, almost everything offers top safety features and luxury features. Mainstream is starting to blend with luxury classes even. I am guilty in admitting I would never touch a mainstream car before opting strictly for VAG or BMW products (drastic change now and I won’t touch a German but that’s an aside) but mainstream cars have gotten so darn good that I have no problem driving even fords anymore. Sticking to something because I always did before is how Acura is where they are now.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Bottom line Acura is still a well-built car at a fairly good value compared to other premium brands. Compared to mainstream Ford/Toyota, I cannot say. If we all hated Acura we wouldn't be on this page. We just get frustrated haha. Almost like a marriage. Most end in divorce these days....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

I buy the car that speaks to me at the time. I look for best-in-class combination of superior interior, understated and attractive exterior, and performance that hopefully won't be a disaster long term. I have nevef kept a car less than 7 years until VW bought back my Golf TDI.
My current stable of 2004 TL, 2009 MDX, and 2017 A4 are all highly regarded examples from their eras, and so far have all been a pleasure to own.

Last edited by svtmike; 01-04-2018 at 09:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by svtmike:
kurtatx (01-04-2018), robscharp05 (01-04-2018), TacoBello (01-05-2018), ttribe (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Advanced

I always do look at the competition/ other models I like. When I bought my TLX I went back to Mercedes constantly to test drive the new C 300. I had to at least go back and forth about 3 times. The thing that got me, in the end, was the price of ownership. If Mercedes offered $53.95 for an Oil Change with a free tire rotation I would have gone for the Benz. I'm still starting out and have another car that is due for maintenance, and my local Mercedes dealership would not want to budge on any extras so I went for $12k more inexpensive TLX.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
I know the current Acura lineup doesn't have the nicest looking vehicles on the road, but they're far from the ugliest. The current Jeep Cherokee makes the Pontiac Aztek look good. I actually find the A-Spec TLX to be a attractive looking car. Here are my biggest disappointments and why I can't see myself in an Acura (TLX) in the foreseeable future:

1) Underpowered compared to some of the other vehicles in this price range. The J series is a awesome motor, but how about something that makes more low end power for daily use?

2) Features are terrible compared to what some of the competitors offer. You can get a Santa Fe these days with 360 camera, head steering wheel, etc.

3) I'm not even sure I would choose it over a new Accord. Acura has done nothing significant to differentiate the two. Shit in some most cases the Accord is the better car. This is a huge compliment to the Accord though. It comes with more features than a fully loaded C class.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by akplaya92
I know the current Acura lineup doesn't have the nicest looking vehicles on the road, but they're far from the ugliest. The current Jeep Cherokee makes the Pontiac Aztek look good. I actually find the A-Spec TLX to be a attractive looking car. Here are my biggest disappointments and why I can't see myself in an Acura (TLX) in the foreseeable future:

1) Underpowered compared to some of the other vehicles in this price range. The J series is a awesome motor, but how about something that makes more low end power for daily use?

2) Features are terrible compared to what some of the competitors offer. You can get a Santa Fe these days with 360 camera, head steering wheel, etc.

3) I'm not even sure I would choose it over a new Accord. Acura has done nothing significant to differentiate the two. Shit in some most cases the Accord is the better car. This is a huge compliment to the Accord though. It comes with more features than a fully loaded C class.
That's one thing with luxury cars they upsell you by alot. It would be nice to see some fake wood that at least looks like wood in the TLX. Maybe some sunshades in the back? Better grade materials?? This is where I see Acura falling behind in the physical car. 1) Powertrain 2) Exterior Styling 3) Luxury Comfort
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Team Owner

Sometimes the difference in the features isn't just that they exist, but how they are implemented.

I would expect better camera quality, better 360 image splicing, more even steering wheel heat, for example, from the luxury/upscale version of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by svtmike:
Abe_Froman (01-04-2018), robscharp05 (01-04-2018), SamDoe1 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Advanced

I see where you're coming from. That just depends on how much the automaker spends on designing that feature. Some automakers get certain features right, and others don't. Most of the time luxury cars do a better job in that department but not always.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 PM
Team Owner

I see where you're coming from. That just depends on how much the automaker spends on designing that feature. Some automakers get certain features right, and others don't. Most of the time luxury cars do a better job in that department but not always.
Yup. That is why something that might be acceptable in an Accord like a slow infotainment system, or a clunky touchscreen interface just doesn't cut the mustard in a TLX.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts

[/off topic]
You are too easy.

Sorry, I'm done now. Back on topic

Originally Posted by svtmike
Sometimes the difference in the features isn't just that they exist, but how they are implemented.

I would expect better camera quality, better 360 image splicing, more even steering wheel heat, for example, from the luxury/upscale version of the car.
IMO, all of those things are now to the point where everyone has them. The attributes and features that we have historically associated with luxury cars (adaptive cruise, HID/LED lights, lane departure, all the safety ish, etc) are now available on a Toyota Corolla as expected with how technology goes. Even cameras are so cheap now that they are all essentially the same. On top of that, power is so easy to come by now that turbo technology has advanced to where we are now. Everyone has it and it's not hard to do. There's frankly no reason why an Accord should have a 280hp motor or a Camry should have 300hp.

All of the luxury brands, not just Acura, are trying hard to differentiate themselves from the "lower end" brands. The aspect of justifying why a BMW 330i is worth $15k more than a Honda Accord is getting harder and harder every day, and the depreciation curves of the two reflect that. The fit and finish of modern mass market cars is so much better than before that it makes it hard to figure out if the BMW is worth it over the Accord. Back in the early 00's, it was a no brainer. My old E46 from 2004 was orders of magnitude more polished than any mass market car of the same era both in terms of features, driving, fit, and finish. It was easy to see where your money is going. Today...not so easy to see where that extra $15k went other than to stick that expensive badge on the hood.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

No, no... Acura is definitely past it's "ugly" stage. I don't think that is in question these days. I think it's more that Acura went from "ugly" to "vanilla bland" styling. They softened up the lines on their cars. The TLX A-Spec is the only one thus far that breaks out of that category. They injected a bit of character into the TLX at the mid model refresh. Limited changes, but changes nonetheless. The RDX is coming up next, in about 10 days or so. From the teaser shot, it looks pretty good, at least in my mind. It looks like it builds on what the TLX A-Spec currently is. Some will argue that it is just a prototype, which it is, but at least from the teaser shot it looked definitely like something they could sell. It reminds of the 3G TL prototype vs the actual 3G TL... which ended up looking better than the prototype!

Concept/Prototype:

Actual:

Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You are too easy.

Sorry, I'm done now. Back on topic

IMO, all of those things are now to the point where everyone has them. The attributes and features that we have historically associated with luxury cars (adaptive cruise, HID/LED lights, lane departure, all the safety ish, etc) are now available on a Toyota Corolla as expected with how technology goes. Even cameras are so cheap now that they are all essentially the same. On top of that, power is so easy to come by now that turbo technology has advanced to where we are now. Everyone has it and it's not hard to do. There's frankly no reason why an Accord should have a 280hp motor or a Camry should have 300hp.

All of the luxury brands, not just Acura, are trying hard to differentiate themselves from the "lower end" brands. The aspect of justifying why a BMW 330i is worth $15k more than a Honda Accord is getting harder and harder every day, and the depreciation curves of the two reflect that. The fit and finish of modern mass market cars is so much better than before that it makes it hard to figure out if the BMW is worth it over the Accord. Back in the early 00's, it was a no brainer. My old E46 from 2004 was orders of magnitude more polished than any mass market car of the same era both in terms of features, driving, fit, and finish. It was easy to see where your money is going. Today...not so easy to see where that extra $15k went other than to stick that expensive badge on the hood.
Yes exactly! I agree 100%. This was what I was trying to say earlier. Mainstream has blended wih luxury class vehicles to the point where luxury vehicles don’t really have the edge anymore (I mean of course to a degree, but the gap is WAY reduced). When you can get a Honda pilot, highlander, sorento, santa fe, durango...etc with adaptive cruise, lane guidance, blind spot monitors, heated steering wheels, pano roofs, cooled and heated seats, 3 zone climate, power tilt and telescoping steering wheels, stitched appearance dash board..:etc why go with a mercedes GL or Q7 or lexus GX...etc anymore if not just for the badge when you can easily get an almost comparable car for MUCH less. Hell you can get multi-mode massage seats in some FORD models....that was like rolls royce, A8, 7-series..etc exclusive stuff only a few years ago.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Honda brought over the Euro Accord as the TSX for the USA, and the 2G TL was sold as the Saber (the one I owned). Honda sold the Legend as a Honda. So they brought those from Japan, not a real engineering change, Same with the Vigor. So early on, Honda created Acura and brought over JDM models as LHD with nice features to compete with Lexus/Infiniti and had some success as these were proven models of luxury with sportiness and trusted Honda reliability (and that died pretty quickly with our transmissions). So the Legend/Saber/Vigor/ died with no replacement.

True, although the majority of Lexus and Infiniti models over their history are also JDM models that are also brought over as well. The biggest exception is the LS (original project code name F1) was a true Japanese Lexus design for the US market.
One side note the 2G and 3G TL's were designed and developed in the US by teams led by Charlie Baker and Erik Berkman respectively and exported the 2G TL back to Japan as the Honda Aspire.
And the TLX and 4G TL also AFAIK are also US models only.

Overall do agree that Acura desperately needs to step it up a few levels for their Acura sedans.
Audi managed to overcome their horrendous quality/reliability image and FWD roots to become serious luxury auto manufacturer contenders.
Still wonder what the supposedly RWD Acura sedan line would have been like before the 2008 financial crisis caused Honda to shutter it.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
No, no... Acura is definitely past it's "ugly" stage. I don't think that is in question these days. I think it's more that Acura went from "ugly" to "vanilla bland" styling. They softened up the lines on their cars. The TLX A-Spec is the only one thus far that breaks out of that category. They injected a bit of character into the TLX at the mid model refresh. Limited changes, but changes nonetheless. The RDX is coming up next, in about 10 days or so. From the teaser shot, it looks pretty good, at least in my mind. It looks like it builds on what the TLX A-Spec currently is. Some will argue that it is just a prototype, which it is, but at least from the teaser shot it looked definitely like something they could sell. It reminds of the 3G TL prototype vs the actual 3G TL... which ended up looking better than the prototype!
I completely agree with you on this. I wonder if they reverted to the vanilla stying due to the harsh backlash they were getting on the grilles after the 3G.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I completely agree with you on this. I wonder if they reverted to the vanilla stying due to the harsh backlash they were getting on the grilles after the 3G.
This is absolutely why they did that. They went so extremely polarizing that it very negatively hurt sales. When people buy cars for a lot of money (relative) appearance is a huge factor (the reason why cheap economy cars tend to look ugly, because nobody cares about looks at that price point). With that said, I actually liked the latest iteration of the “beak grille” and wish they wouldn’t have replaced it with the pentagon grille. But I realize I am in the minority here.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Sounds like an abusive relationship to me...
The following 5 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
1killercls (01-05-2018), justnspace (01-05-2018), svtmike (01-05-2018), TacoBello (01-05-2018), ttribe (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Unhappy With Your Acura?