AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   ttribe's German to Korean back to German Journey...Oops I did it again (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/ttribes-german-korean-back-german-journey-oops-i-did-again-822243/)

ttribe 06-09-2011 03:49 PM

ttribe's German to Korean back to German Journey...Oops I did it again
 
I'm developing a serious obsession with the thought of selling my '06 TL (with 86K miles) to purchase this - AutoTrader Link

Anyone have any insights into this car other than it's 500HP of awesomeness?!!!

1StGenCL 06-09-2011 03:59 PM

Gas hog, get a Prius

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 04:06 PM

Well, it has the S85 engine that redlines at 8250 rpm and it is a V10, it is an amazing car and if you can afford it and any parts that break I say go for it, I would check how its worth in KBB or NADA first though.

JS + XES 06-09-2011 04:07 PM

I think I sold my 3G TL when it was about the same mileage as yours...

DEW IT.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13010280)
I think I sold my 3G TL when it was about the same mileage as yours...

DEW IT.

My wife will not be happy with you for encouraging this.

phee 06-09-2011 04:11 PM

That's what divorce is for

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by BLK05TL (Post 13010278)
Well, it has the S85 engine that redlines at 8250 rpm and it is a V10, it is an amazing car and if you can afford it and any parts that break I say go for it, I would check how its worth in KBB or NADA first though.

KBB says $42,270 from a dealer in "Excellent" condition.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by phee (Post 13010294)
That's what divorce is for

Ouch.

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 04:17 PM

Give the TL to your wife and buy the M5 for you.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by BLK05TL (Post 13010310)
Give the TL to your wife and buy the M5 for you.

Well, my wife has an '03 Pilot EX with about the same amount of mileage as my TL; and we have three children ages 12, 6 and 3. I don't think that's a solution. But, thanks for the thought. :thumbsup:

JS + XES 06-09-2011 04:25 PM

omg you have 3 kids?

don't get this M5

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13010328)
omg you have 3 kids?

don't get this M5

LOL! Why's that? It's got room for the fam in it...kind of a selling point...kind of...when I am in full-on rationalization mode.

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 04:27 PM

I understand, I had a convertible before my TL and had to get rid of it because my newborn son (first born) would not fit, I say got try it out see if you like it. If you like it go for it.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:29 PM


Originally Posted by BLK05TL (Post 13010338)
I understand, I had a convertible before my TL and had to get rid of it because my newborn son (first born) would not fit, I say got try it out see if you like it. If you like it go for it.

I swung by yesterday to take a look, but it was in the svc department being prepped for showing. Why they listed it before that process was complete, I have no idea. Guy's supposed to e-mail me when it's ready to be seen and driven.

JS + XES 06-09-2011 04:37 PM

it's a great car for sure, but i heard it's pretty expensive to maintain it.... you have three kids... i mean if you are comfortable loaded. why not!? :)

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:38 PM

My research on this turns up some stories of early trouble with the SMG transmission, but I can't tell if this has been a persistent problem. Any insights?

In general, I'm not a fan of purchasing a first model year vehicle, but a supercar sedan...that's tempting.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:39 PM


Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13010373)
it's a great car for sure, but i heard it's pretty expensive to maintain it.... you have three kids... i mean if you are comfortable loaded. why not!? :)

I do okay, but the big advantage is that my firm foots the bill for gas and maintenance/repairs for my car. That really takes a load off.

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 04:47 PM

do you like the M5's competitor the CTS-V? and about the transmission issue, I believe a lot people drive the cars really hard and mess them up, if you take care of your car it will take care of you. Besides you can get a warranty if you finance it through a bank or credit union.

ttribe 06-09-2011 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by BLK05TL (Post 13010402)
do you like the M5's competitor the CTS-V? and about the transmission issue, I believe a lot people drive the cars really hard and mess them up, if you take care of your car it will take care of you. Besides you can get a warranty if you finance it through a bank or credit union.

Don't like the styling of the CTS-V as much, nor do I trust GM's quality yet.

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 04:59 PM


Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 13010416)
Don't like the styling of the CTS-V as much, nor do I trust GM's quality yet.

:what: I love the styling, but I get what your saying a lot of people dont, I think youd be very happy with the M5 and since your car looks so nice I belive you must take care of your cars very well, I dont think youll have problems with the car.:thumbsup:

JS + XES 06-09-2011 05:01 PM


Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 13010383)
I do okay, but the big advantage is that my firm foots the bill for gas and maintenance/repairs for my car. That really takes a load off.

wtf

stop posting and go get it then

NIGHTEHAWK 06-09-2011 05:08 PM


Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13010448)
wtf

stop posting and go get it then

:agree:GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

ttribe 06-09-2011 05:17 PM


Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13010448)
wtf

stop posting and go get it then

Lol! Yeah well, I'd still need to make the payments and I finished paying off the TL last year. With no car payments at all right now (the Pilot's paid off too), it's a hard sell in the familial relationship. Nevertheless, I wanted to check with the collective brain trust to see if they'd heard anything nasty about the model year that I wasn't finding (something akin to the first year GT-R).

wassystyle 06-09-2011 05:39 PM

you only live once.... get it ...... and please post pictures.... i'm sure you do things to make your wife happy let her know that this will make you happy... (works for me all..... SOME..... of the time)..!

sanjbaby 06-09-2011 08:28 PM

I had a chance to take drive in one of these. It's a blast to drive. The one I drove had the adaptive seats that adjusts the support during turns!

I clicked on the car fax link and noticed it had 3 owners and was involved in an accident with the first owner and was sold at auction shortly after that.

05/15/2007 New Jersey
Damage Report Accident reported It hit a deer Right side primarily damaged

Not sure if your were set on this specific car but I'm sure you can find another one.

Good luck

ttribe 06-09-2011 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by sanjbaby (Post 13010899)
I had a chance to take drive in one of these. It's a blast to drive. The one I drove had the adaptive seats that adjusts the support during turns!

I clicked on the car fax link and noticed it had 3 owners and was involved in an accident with the first owner and was sold at auction shortly after that.

05/15/2007 New Jersey
Damage Report Accident reported It hit a deer Right side primarily damaged

Not sure if your were set on this specific car but I'm sure you can find another one.

Good luck

Whoa! Thanks for that information! I've now seen three in the area at this price point (two already sold in the last 5 days). I'll keep my eyes open.

gatrhumpy 06-10-2011 06:34 AM

Get it! Especially if your firm is paying for the maintenance!

CCColtsicehockey 06-10-2011 07:28 AM

If you don't have to pay for maintenance then definitely go get it. I considered one of these when I was looking for my next car but the tran problems scared me away cause of the cost of them since I would be paying for the maintenance. The gas mileage also didn't win me over with only 17mpg on high and like 11 in the city.

SaaBaaDoo 06-10-2011 07:41 AM

I'd double check with your firm about the maintenance just to be on the safe side. And if you decide to get one, get a PPI done! If everything works out go for it!!!

bigman 06-10-2011 07:46 AM

If it's out of warranty, I hope you have tons of money. The owner of my company has one that just came out of warranty. The car is awesome, but fixing small problems and general maintenance has pushed the wallet.

Bdog 06-10-2011 08:47 AM

3 owners, 3 different states, accident report, sold at auto auction, low miles... I'd stay away from this one!

ttribe 06-10-2011 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by SaaBaaDoo (Post 13011857)
I'd double check with your firm about the maintenance just to be on the safe side. And if you decide to get one, get a PPI done! If everything works out go for it!!!

I'm a part owner...I think I approve. :thumbsup:

ttribe 06-10-2011 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by Bdog (Post 13012036)
3 owners, 3 different states, accident report, sold at auto auction, low miles... I'd stay away from this one!

Yeah, I tend to agree. I might go drive it, but let them know that the thing has a very spotty history. They'd need to throw in a platinum-level warranty to entice anyone at that price.

Legend2TL 06-10-2011 10:37 AM


Originally Posted by bdog (Post 13012036)
3 owners, 3 different states, accident report, sold at auto auction, low miles... I'd stay away from this one!

+1

SlimTL 06-10-2011 10:46 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. My next car after the TL will be an 08 or 09 M5. It's a great car for sure, but this model year is still kinda pricey.

If you find a good one, go for it. 1 life 2 live!!

jim165 06-10-2011 11:16 AM

Like others are mentioning, be sure your account in the Cayman islands is readily available for the maintenance costs. I would run far, far away from any BMW with an SMG transmission (1st gen, 2gen, don't matter).
You're concerned about the quality of the CTS-V vs the M5?!? M5 may have better materials inside, but I bet the CTS-V won't leave you stranded on the side of the road like the M5 might...:tomato:
How about a 2008+ M5 with a 6sp manual?

ttribe 06-10-2011 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by jim165 (Post 13012492)
Like others are mentioning, be sure your account in the Cayman islands is readily available for the maintenance costs. I would run far, far away from any BMW with an SMG transmission (1st gen, 2gen, don't matter).
You're concerned about the quality of the CTS-V vs the M5?!? M5 may have better materials inside, but I bet the CTS-V won't leave you stranded on the side of the road like the M5 might...:tomato:
How about a 2008+ M5 with a 6sp manual?

2008+ is getting rather pricey.

How about an IS-F? I really like those as well - AutoTrader Link

SuperTrooper169 06-10-2011 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 13012706)
2008+ is getting rather pricey.

How about an IS-F? I really like those as well - AutoTrader Link

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...59&postcount=5

ttribe 06-10-2011 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169 (Post 13012760)

Yeah...the rear seating is tight. But, that's why we also own an SUV.

jim165 06-10-2011 01:14 PM


Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 13012706)
2008+ is getting rather pricey.

How about an IS-F? I really like those as well - AutoTrader Link

:thumbsup: on the IS-F, especially that one! Love the silver with the gunmetal wheels!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands