Transferring a NY License Over to PA

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Transferring a NY License Over to PA

Hey guys, so this past year I've received 2 tickets. One speeding ticket and one traffic violation. The speeding ticket was 6 points, I was doing 88 in a 65. The traffic violation was 2 points because I didn't follow the green arrow (honest mistake). Anyway, these points are driving me nuts because I get a little paranoid when I drive on highways, especially on long trips so I drive like a grandma. I can't afford to get any points. My question is, if I transfer my NY license over to PA will my points be transferred over as well? I have some properties in Philadelphia so I can use those addresses as my permanent.

The car's title is under me but the registration and insurance is under my mom's name. Will that affect anything as well?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You'll have to check with the PA DMV to be certain, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that NY, NJ, CT, and PA share their DMV databases meaning that if you live in NY, whatever happens in NJ, CT, and PA will show up on your record. If that is the case then yes, your points will transfer.

The PA DMV website doesn't say (although honestly I looked for like 2 minutes, so you may want to search further... or just call)... but it does say that you have to transfer your license within 60 days. I know in NC you can get penalized if you wait... so unless you bought those properties within the last 60 months, you either will not be able to register, may have to pay some fines, or may have to come up with a story as to why you did not move/transfer right away. http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._license.shtml

If you want to change the title of the car to PA also, then the insurance info will have to match the registration info. If your mom does not live in PA that's another hurdle you'll likely run into.

Honestly it's probably cheaper, easier, and safer to just take a defensive driving course in NY to erase as much of those points as possible....
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFAIK to change license, you will need to have proof of residency through utility bills, lease documents, etc. Unless you will be able to show any of those you will have tough time changing over your DL to a new state. Also some of the states do not accept cell phone bills, Credit card bills, etc as these are not tied down to a physical location.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...nM_oG1NjeKhiXw

What violations committed in a member state will result in the suspension of my driving
privilege in PA?
A: The following offenses, if committed in a member state, would be treated as though the offense had
occurred in Pennsylvania and the appropriate sanction would be imposed under the provisions of our
Vehicle Code:
• Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle (Section
3732);
• Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a narcotic to a degree
which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle (Section 3731);
• Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or
personal injury of another (Section 3742);
• Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used (Crimes Code and Dangerous Drug
Act Offenses).
Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will
(NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to
your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.