traffic-related issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
traffic-related issue

Alright, I noticed that for the past month or so, whenever I leave work, I pull up to this intersection to get onto the highway. There's only one left turn lane and one right turn lane. The left turn lane is usually backed up quite a bit, since the light doesn't really stay green for long. Every single day some dumbshit decides it's a good idea to try and cut ahead of everyone by pulling into the right turn lane, waiting for the light to hit green, then quick guns it and turns left -- cutting people off, coming close to causing accidents and just in general pissing everyone off.

It's the same person every day. Some foreigner who decides to be a moron, does it since they can get away with it. It pisses me off since there was one time this idiot came close to hitting me, kept swerving around people to get into the left lane on the highway.

Since I KNOW this will cause an accident some day, and I'm too nervous that it'll happen on my car, I wanna do something about it.... but what? Just try to get a patrol car to camp and watch the intersection? However, this person DOES work in my building...

Suggestions on what I should do?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
You could definitely say something to the police or to him.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd def say something to him about it since you both work in the same building an you actually are able to. I once cut a co-worker off on the way to work (two lanes merged to one lane) being retarded and trust me I felt kinda awkward the rest of the morning knowing that.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Tell him this isn't (insert country he is from here) we have traffic laws in the US.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, if you know who it is, then go talk to him in person.

Be polite, of course. Human beings will keep doing it for as long as they can get away with it. In most cases, as soon as they realize they are recognized/busted, then they will stop it in fear of watchful eyes.

If he still keeps it up, then report it to HR (if you work at the same company).
Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Well tbh I don't know EXACTLY who it is, just what car they drive. A lot of the foreigners who work where I work are pretty damn stubborn. Just the fact that they do it every day, and you can see other drivers getting pissed off at them, and this person STILL does it, kinda tells you something...

Talking to HR seems like a good idea. Maybe I'll give them the car info and they can figure out who it belongs to...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
Well tbh I don't know EXACTLY who it is, just what car they drive. A lot of the foreigners who work where I work are pretty damn stubborn. Just the fact that they do it every day, and you can see other drivers getting pissed off at them, and this person STILL does it, kinda tells you something...

Talking to HR seems like a good idea. Maybe I'll give them the car info and they can figure out who it belongs to...
That is the best course of action. Don't make it personal, instead make it an issue that addresses the safety of the employees of the company.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 11-12-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
^^^ if that doesn't work, go to the police. Or do both.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Im my experiance HR wont do anything but cause a problem between you and this individual because your are basicly tattling on him. Not to mention the nature of the HR department is to be politicallly correct and not do much about anything.

Inform your local police dept. see what they say. I mean c'mon we all make dumbhead moves once or twice in our lives but doing what you describe is just asking for an accident.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I wouldn't make it personal, mainly because you don't know this person. If this person happens to have some authority, you may never know how they will react. Plus, this isn't a company issue...your company has no right to observe/report how you drive, unless it's work related

Approach the police...if it happens on a regular basis and at a predictable time, they should do something about it, as long as it doesn't take them much time.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
or maybe leave a few minutes before or after he does so that you can make the turn when he is not around.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
You can always approach the traffic division of the PD local to that area and tell them what you've seen on a regular basis, at a predictable time, by the same automobile. Perhaps (eventually) they'll set up a car to observe your complaint. It usually takes multiple complaints by multiple people or at least numerous accidents before they will take much notice of a single issue. Definitely let them know though.

As for telling HR. My thoughts: Has nothing to do with HR, or even your company for that matter -- unless he is driving a company car and is insured through them (and you can prove it is a company vehicle). Reporting it would take a lot of guts and might get you involved in an ordeal you might not want to become involved with. If it's not a company car, not on company time...it would be a ridiculous thing to even consider reporting to HR -- a non-issue. That's like telling HR that a co-worker J-walks every morning on his way to work. It might cause an accident....but why would the company care or be responsible for the choices he makes outside of work and his work performance....
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

Well this intersection is almost right outside our parking lot, and the HR dept where I work is always kind of anal about how people drive in the parking lot... Just thought that since it happens not even a tenth of a mile from the parking lot itself, they might do something about it... but then again since it's technically off the property, they might forget about it.

Meh, if it keeps happening more and more often, I'll try to get someone in DOT or the police involved.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
You can always approach the traffic division of the PD local to that area and tell them what you've seen on a regular basis, at a predictable time, by the same automobile. Perhaps (eventually) they'll set up a car to observe your complaint. It usually takes multiple complaints by multiple people or at least numerous accidents before they will take much notice of a single issue. Definitely let them know though.

As for telling HR. My thoughts: Has nothing to do with HR, or even your company for that matter -- unless he is driving a company car and is insured through them (and you can prove it is a company vehicle). Reporting it would take a lot of guts and might get you involved in an ordeal you might not want to become involved with. If it's not a company car, not on company time...it would be a ridiculous thing to even consider reporting to HR -- a non-issue. That's like telling HR that a co-worker J-walks every morning on his way to work. It might cause an accident....but why would the company care or be responsible for the choices he makes outside of work and his work performance....
Kind of ridiculous for you to call it ridiculous when there could be different standards and authority in application here, I guess. I only offer my view on the subject and the OP can take/use it as he sees fit.

Where I work, HR becomes involved with such issues. We (I work in the department that enforces the company policies and advises the executive management as part of the HR division) were involved when a Team Member wrote a complaint letter about another Team Member regarding his reckless driving. Several other Team Members had complained verbally in the past.

Eventually, the reckless-driving employee received stern warnings, once directly by the President & CEO. He was told to clean up his act and drive courteously and with consideration to other motorists, which includes fellow Team Members.

My company cares about what happens on site, both for the sake of the Team Members and the company as far as legal obligations are concerned. But when a Team Member potentially could bring harm to another, even off company premises and off the clock, we still intervene depending on the circumstances. We are agents of the company 24/7.

How you drive during rush hour traffic sharing lanes with your coworkers says a lot about your character and the ability to work with them once at the job site. It's a reflection of your personality, and where I work, HR definitely has the authority to intervene and we have. The example I gave wasn't the first or the last time we intervened on complaints of reckless driving.

OP files a complaint. Then another. Then another. Then another. Eventually, somebody at some rank in his company will have a talk with this reckless driver. If anything, the embarrassment factor alone will do the trick. "Hey, several people have come to talk to me about your reckless driving so we are a bit concerned." Right there, that is enough to turn most people around because that's when the light bulb goes off over their heads thinking "Oh, crap, my coworkers think I drive like a dick."

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 11-16-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

Well jeez, I don't know which way to go now... I guess for the time being I'll see if it continues to happen (who knows, maybe someone else beat me to the punch?) then decide.

But yeah, my work is maybe a bit sketchy with how they define their boundaries, so I really don't know either way if they'd try to intervene. I mean, they REALLY get on a person's case if they drive too recklessly in the parking lot... but I dunno how far they'd take it if the situation happened off company property.