Toyota Supra's

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:25 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Toyota Supra's

I have been pricing out 93-98 Supra Turbos and did not realize that they held their value so well over the years. A good conditioned turbo is running in the low to mid $30,000 range.

For the price of these cars you could buy a brand new sports car. So what gives? Why are they keeping their value so well?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:38 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
you gotta pay to play. not too many cars that can make 500 whp BPU. plus the fast n furious crap didn't help any.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone can finance a brand new sports car...
Old 08-06-2006, 04:34 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go buy one now and don't drive it!! and sell it for 100k 10 years later!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

I am interested in this one

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=257

But for the price i could step into a nice m3.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:40 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SakiGT
Anyone can finance a brand new sports car...
True.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced

you can check out this website www.speedforsale.com, they have some decent prices. Matter of fact they have one with 97,000 miles for 28,500 stock turbo. I plan on buying one also just waiting for a price drop. I am looking to spend around 20,000 with under 100,000, so I am just going to wait a little longer. I might just give in and buy another kinda sports car but I love the wide body kits for the supra.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsi00154

looks well kept, but automatic
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
I heard those automatics are pretty good, though. I had an STI last year so i am no stranger to a stick shift but for this car i am going to keep my options open as far as the tranny.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lx4life
you can check out this website www.speedforsale.com, they have some decent prices. Matter of fact they have one with 97,000 miles for 28,500 stock turbo. I plan on buying one also just waiting for a price drop. I am looking to spend around 20,000 with under 100,000, so I am just going to wait a little longer. I might just give in and buy another kinda sports car but I love the wide body kits for the supra.
I will check out the site. I saw a few in the south east in the mid-twenties on autotrader.com. I really need to drive one to see what they are like. I saw one on the road on Friday and was blown away by how good they still look. I was like I gotta get one of those- until I started researching the prices... Timeless design.

I have been on the fence between an 03 and up M3 and a used boxter -s and was really familar with the price on these vehicles and the depreciation hit that they take and assumed that the Supra had similar depreciation %'s.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Instructor

The Supra has been my favorite car since I can remember. It's design (over a decade old) is still gorgeous. But I'll have to wait til Toyota gets their act together and remakes this car, a ten year old car is not worth an arm and a leg. Seriously though, if Toyota remade that car It would sell like hot cakes and the waiting list would be a few months at leasts.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 AM
To punish and enslave

Supra can be ridiculously tuned and the attention they get raises the prices.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...94-97supra.htm

Asking prices for used Supras are ridiculously high, a situation many enthusiasts blame on the car's prominent role in the Fast and Furious movie franchise. And with the recent release of the third (and hopefully final) instalment of the series, prices aren't likely to go down soon. According to Canadian Red Book, values range from $12,150 for a 1994 model to a high of $19,025 for a 1997.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
^^^ Prior to TFATF, Supras were pretty much depreciating similar to that of the 300ZX TT (though not as much as the 3000GT/Stealth). I recall the MSRP on the Supra TT at the 1996 (or 97) New York Auto Show being $40,000. Fast forward 10 years and they are about the same price.

Sidenote: The real irony is that Fast/Furious did not do too much for 2G Eclipse values.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
^^^ Prior to TFATF, Supras were pretty much depreciating similar to that of the 300ZX TT (though not as much as the 3000GT/Stealth). I recall the MSRP on the Supra TT at the 1996 (or 97) New York Auto Show being $40,000. Fast forward 10 years and they are about the same price.

Sidenote: The real irony is that Fast/Furious did not do too much for 2G Eclipse values.
^^^ who wants a car that can't handle 3 stages of nitrous??? lolz
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
The Boss

I have been pricing out 93-98 Supra Turbos and did not realize that they held their value so well over the years. A good conditioned turbo is running in the low to mid $30,000 range.

For the price of these cars you could buy a brand new sports car. So what gives? Why are they keeping their value so well?
Let me give you some insight of why Supra is so expensive. If properly tuned, a Toyota Supra can be range between 300rwhp to 900rwhp. It's a Toyota, it's very reliable and the Transmission of the Supra is one of the best out there. It can handle highly boosted PSI and with 6MT it can give some exotic cars some pounding.
Supra belongs in EXOTIC CAR class. They are fast enough when stock, but if you tune it properly... it can be a monster. Supra is a Rear wheel drive car, it's light and performs like a go-kart. They keep their value because it's highly demanded and unlike many fords, they don't break apart.

Supra is a desire and all around well liked car. It's not cheap but if you ever owned one, you'll respect it very well. Plus Supra is a great design, it's a beautiful car.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 AM
The Boss

BMW M3 is nice, they're small and pretty quick. However, it's a rich man's sports car. To be honest, nobody really respect it. You see them on the road all the time (least around here) and driven by rich pricks most of the time)

Supra on the other hand, even more than a decade old, the style still intimidates everytime I see one. It's rear end is so gorgeous and even sitting at still..it still screams. The thing about Supra is it can be so fast that even if you see one on the road, you would second guess yourself to race one. You don't know what they pack inside as most of the boosted Supra look stock.

Mod edit: NWS photo removed. Please review our NWS policy here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/not-safe-work-rules-guidelines-298280/

Last edited by AcuraDriver2006; 08-07-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 AM
The Boss

and of course, my favorite Supra ( yellow supra)

Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
^ um....thats a ferrari!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Let me give you some insight of why Supra is so expensive. If properly tuned, a Toyota Supra can be range between 300rwhp to 900rwhp. It's a Toyota, it's very reliable and the Transmission of the Supra is one of the best out there. It can handle highly boosted PSI and with 6MT it can give some exotic cars some pounding.
Supra belongs in EXOTIC CAR class. They are fast enough when stock, but if you tune it properly... it can be a monster. Supra is a Rear wheel drive car, it's light and performs like a go-kart. They keep their value because it's highly demanded and unlike many fords, they don't break apart.

Supra is a desire and all around well liked car. It's not cheap but if you ever owned one, you'll respect it very well. Plus Supra is a great design, it's a beautiful car.
I generally agree, although heavily modded cars typically lose some quality.....even Toyotas. (NOTE: The 300ZX TT and 3000GT VR4/Stealth RT can and have been tuned to similar levels of power but, come be acquired for thousands less.....particularly the Mitsu.)

As for the Supra belonging in the Exotic Car class, that is subjective. But I will say that it has established itself clearly as a modern/future classic (not unlike an 03-04 Cobra SVT.....another car that can be modded to ridiculous HP levels).

When Barrett Jackson has its auction in the year 2026, I am certain the MKIV Supra will fetch a pretty penny.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by virus7
^ um....thats a ferrari!
hahaha I did NOT notice it until you pointed it out....
Old 08-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Have you driven a Supra? It's no where NEAR a go-kart or light. It's more of a GT car if anything. The car's a pig and can be a handful at times depending on power; you have to go fast to experience it. If you want a car that drives like a go-cart, drive an EVO or even an ITR if you get a chance; 350z's are pretty fun as well. I've found that lightweight, high powered N/A cars are VERY FUN. Turbo cars can be fun depending on suspension setup and power delivery, but there are few turbo cars I've experienced that's go-kart like with the exception of the EVO. I've driven several 6-speed Supras, one of them close to 450whp and had way more fun in my slower ITR. The car doesn't feel fast, but you know it is because the speedometer is sweeping the dial real quick. This all changes though when you hit high speeds; the car pulls pretty hard. There really aren't many cars out there that have much high end pull and when it comes to highway racing, Supras are pretty much king; the gearing and the turbos are responsible for that. The car does not belong in an Exotic Car class; people put it in that pedestal. Just because it can beat Exotic cars doesn't mean its in the same class. Anyone can modify any car to make it fast. I would say the reason why the Supra costs so much is because people are willing to pay that much. There were a few Japanese sports cars in the U.S. during that time period.

1.) Acura NSX
The NSX was an AMAZING car at the time; lightweight, reliable, quick, but it was expensive and not much has changed in its 15 years of existence. Modifications were limited to suspension/brakes/cosmetic. As far as motor mods go; they were expensive and there was little room to work with in the engine bay.

2.) Mazda RX-7
The RX-7 was the lightest car of the bunch, but with a rotary motor not many people knew how reliable it was. There were many motors failing with stock boost and when modified, motors blew. The car was unreliable. With a proper/reliable engine, this would have been the best car due to its go-kart like handling and lightweight, but the motor was a POS.

3.) Mitsubishi 3000 GT
The 3000GT was very popular. AWD was a huge plus, but the car neared near $70k and was very heavy. You modify it and bam, the trans blows or the drivetrain fails. So your power was limited by the drivetrain.

4.) Nissan 300 ZX
The 300ZX was probably the most popular car of the bunch due to its history and success in the states, but it was up there in price. It reacted well to mods that fit in the engine bay due to its compactness. To work on it the motor had to be removed and was a pain in the ass. Now you have a powerful car, but with its anti-squat suspension it was hard to put the power to the ground.

5.) Toyota Supra
The Supra was revolutionary, but didn't garner much success because not many people were willing to shell out more than 50g's (depending on year) on a Toyota which was never as popular as the Z. But when it came to mods it outdid every car in its class. It had plenty of room in the engine bay, reacted to mods really well, was very reliable, and nothing broke. To this day, no one has cracked a block due to power/stress meaning a block hasn't gone before the internals in it has. Yes pistons and rods fail and can shoot through blocks and yes the stock motor is capable of reaching 900whp. But with built motors, pro-racers such as Titan motorsports have yet to reach the limits of the 2JZ even with a built block. The stock Getrag 6-speed is one of teh strongest if not the strongest transmissions ever built. People like Ryan Woon has hit over 1400whp in his street Supra on a stock trans. that has not broke regardless of multiple 8-sec runs.

So what made the Supra so popular today? Out of all the cars listed, the Supra was the only one that reacted to modifications real well. Remember, the mid to late '90's was when the import car scene/racing real started to pick up steam. This was a time period where kids were dumping money in honda's, etc. Supra's were getting faster and faster over the years and if you were in the scene you would have noticed, especially on how cheap it was to make it quick. Well when the Fast and Furious came out, the import scene was pretty much up there, and the Supra happened to be a hot car; well only if you were in the scene. When people that didn't know much about Supras watched the movie, they soon realized; damn this is a badass car. It was pretty much free marketing. After the movie, the scene EXPLODED. The Supra was more desirable to the younger generation. People that didn't know about Supras all of a sudden had interest. It became every kid's wet dream and all of a sudden their favorite car that they've liked ever since they could remember, etc. It was outrageous and this obviously raises prices. Supply and Demand is def. a common phrase. I remember when we were gonna pick up a Supra in '00, a '94 TT 6-speed with 59k miles was going for $24k; that same car today would be $35k with similar miles. Don't bite the bullet yet though. Yes Supras bring in more money today than they did before, but only a handful will bring in even more money in the future. Its harder and harder to find low og. mile Supras that are stock. So many factors go into it what a Supra is worth now; color, year, mileage, condition, targa/hardtop, transmission, but the ones that fetch the most money are the stock, later year models, with a 6-speed and limited production color. They go for more than what they were brand new and its worth every penny. People are flipping Supras like the flip houses, but the market is sizzling down since by the time you get a Supra its already been flipped 3-4 times with overinflated prices. Prices have come down a little, especially in less desirable colors, transmission choices, high mileage, but they are still up there. They are even more higher on low mileage, later year models. Dealerships will still buy Supras on e-bay where people are trying to make a profit and still make a profit because they can offer financing. It's ridiculous. I know a guy who bought a '94 Supra with 69k miles for $47k so if you don't have the cash to pay I would not buy one from a dealership; period!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
The Boss

some old videos

here is an old Supra vs an American WS6
http://www.spdkilz.com/video-audio/V...vs%20Supra.wmv

Supra
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....e4126d4c1&p=10

There was a video between Supra and Cobra but I lost the site.

FOR MORE SUPRA VIDEO GO HERE

http://supra.sysadmin-racing.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by importtuner
Have you driven a Supra? It's no where NEAR a go-kart or light. It's more of a GT car if anything. The car's a pig and can be a handful at times depending on power; you have to go fast to experience it. If you want a car that drives like a go-cart, drive an EVO or even an ITR if you get a chance; 350z's are pretty fun as well. I've found that lightweight, high powered N/A cars are VERY FUN. Turbo cars can be fun depending on suspension setup and power delivery, but there are few turbo cars I've experienced that's go-kart like with the exception of the EVO. I've driven several 6-speed Supras, one of them close to 450whp and had way more fun in my slower ITR. The car doesn't feel fast, but you know it is because the speedometer is sweeping the dial real quick. This all changes though when you hit high speeds; the car pulls pretty hard. There really aren't many cars out there that have much high end pull and when it comes to highway racing, Supras are pretty much king; the gearing and the turbos are responsible for that. The car does not belong in an Exotic Car class; people put it in that pedestal. Just because it can beat Exotic cars doesn't mean its in the same class. Anyone can modify any car to make it fast. I would say the reason why the Supra costs so much is because people are willing to pay that much. There were a few Japanese sports cars in the U.S. during that time period.

1.) Acura NSX
The NSX was an AMAZING car at the time; lightweight, reliable, quick, but it was expensive and not much has changed in its 15 years of existence. Modifications were limited to suspension/brakes/cosmetic. As far as motor mods go; they were expensive and there was little room to work with in the engine bay.

2.) Mazda RX-7
The RX-7 was the lightest car of the bunch, but with a rotary motor not many people knew how reliable it was. There were many motors failing with stock boost and when modified, motors blew. The car was unreliable. With a proper/reliable engine, this would have been the best car due to its go-kart like handling and lightweight, but the motor was a POS.

3.) Mitsubishi 3000 GT
The 3000GT was very popular. AWD was a huge plus, but the car neared near $70k and was very heavy. You modify it and bam, the trans blows or the drivetrain fails. So your power was limited by the drivetrain.

4.) Nissan 300 ZX
The 300ZX was probably the most popular car of the bunch due to its history and success in the states, but it was up there in price. It reacted well to mods that fit in the engine bay due to its compactness. To work on it the motor had to be removed and was a pain in the ass. Now you have a powerful car, but with its anti-squat suspension it was hard to put the power to the ground.

5.) Toyota Supra
The Supra was revolutionary, but didn't garner much success because not many people were willing to shell out more than 50g's (depending on year) on a Toyota which was never as popular as the Z. But when it came to mods it outdid every car in its class. It had plenty of room in the engine bay, reacted to mods really well, was very reliable, and nothing broke. To this day, no one has cracked a block due to power/stress meaning a block hasn't gone before the internals in it has. Yes pistons and rods fail and can shoot through blocks and yes the stock motor is capable of reaching 900whp. But with built motors, pro-racers such as Titan motorsports have yet to reach the limits of the 2JZ even with a built block. The stock Getrag 6-speed is one of teh strongest if not the strongest transmissions ever built. People like Ryan Woon has hit over 1400whp in his street Supra on a stock trans. that has not broke regardless of multiple 8-sec runs.

So what made the Supra so popular today? Out of all the cars listed, the Supra was the only one that reacted to modifications real well. Remember, the mid to late '90's was when the import car scene/racing real started to pick up steam. This was a time period where kids were dumping money in honda's, etc. Supra's were getting faster and faster over the years and if you were in the scene you would have noticed, especially on how cheap it was to make it quick. Well when the Fast and Furious came out, the import scene was pretty much up there, and the Supra happened to be a hot car; well only if you were in the scene. When people that didn't know much about Supras watched the movie, they soon realized; damn this is a badass car. It was pretty much free marketing. After the movie, the scene EXPLODED. The Supra was more desirable to the younger generation. People that didn't know about Supras all of a sudden had interest. It became every kid's wet dream and all of a sudden their favorite car that they've liked ever since they could remember, etc. It was outrageous and this obviously raises prices. Supply and Demand is def. a common phrase. I remember when we were gonna pick up a Supra in '00, a '94 TT 6-speed with 59k miles was going for $24k; that same car today would be $35k with similar miles. Don't bite the bullet yet though. Yes Supras bring in more money today than they did before, but only a handful will bring in even more money in the future. Its harder and harder to find low og. mile Supras that are stock. So many factors go into it what a Supra is worth now; color, year, mileage, condition, targa/hardtop, transmission, but the ones that fetch the most money are the stock, later year models, with a 6-speed and limited production color. They go for more than what they were brand new and its worth every penny. People are flipping Supras like the flip houses, but the market is sizzling down since by the time you get a Supra its already been flipped 3-4 times with overinflated prices. Prices have come down a little, especially in less desirable colors, transmission choices, high mileage, but they are still up there. They are even more higher on low mileage, later year models. Dealerships will still buy Supras on e-bay where people are trying to make a profit and still make a profit because they can offer financing. It's ridiculous. I know a guy who bought a '94 Supra with 69k miles for $47k so if you don't have the cash to pay I would not buy one from a dealership; period!
Great review. All of the cars listed were new when i was in high school and were the reasons I went to college! I even had an RX-7 Turbo poster in my dorm room (circa 1994). I am going to keep looking for a relatively stock Supra Turbo for around $25k. Wish me luck.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Good writeup Import. The only clarification I would only make is with regard to the 3000GT where that near $70k price tag was for the VERY limited production Spyder model which had the retractable hardtop...that pig MSRP'd at about $65k, which was not much cheaper than the Porsche 964 Carrera Cabrio at the time.

But you really nailed it well in your review.

Last edited by F23A4; 08-07-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a couple of rwd sportcars that have had remarkable resale values... Check out the prices on porsche 993 C2S's... low production numbers and high demand means high prices...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
The Boss

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...ea290ad375.htm

over 1000rwhp
Old 08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
The Boss

here you go I found it

Supra VS Cobra

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...13d7b7c15a.htm
Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
yo!

Get a MKIII. lol
Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
To punish and enslave

How are the MKIII? I like the look of it but did they perform well?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
mkIII was a fast car in it's time. they were pigs as well though.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
How are the MKIII? I like the look of it but did they perform well?

Here my race against an MKIII a while ago: LINK
Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
The auto Supras are the fastest track Supras. A lot of guys are running TH400 with the Gear Vendors six speed kit, and a high stall converter. With that combo they can get into boost and stall up like a manual and pick and hold whatever gear they want.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,925 Likes on 5,542 Posts
... it's light and performs like a go-kart.
umm... how about .

I think you're thinking of an RX-7 or Miata...

another reason Supras hold value well - they're f'in RARE! I swear - at least here in Chicago, I see more Ferrari's and Lambo's than I do Supras. I have seen 1 supra in the last 6 months.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,925 Likes on 5,542 Posts
great writeup importtuner!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by srika
great writeup importtuner!
Thanks boss! It seems there are a lot more Supra's in the Chicagoland area than anywhere else though, but I can attest how rare it is to see on the street. I actually just saw a black one yesterday driving by my area and yes I was distracted when I saw it. The lines of that car are timeless; and doesn't seem to be getting old anytime soon! Man you had '98 TT 6-speed at one point, do you regret selling it?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW M3 is nice, they're small and pretty quick. However, it's a rich man's sports car. To be honest, nobody really respect it. You see them on the road all the time (least around here) and driven by rich pricks most of the time)

Supra on the other hand, even more than a decade old, the style still intimidates everytime I see one. It's rear end is so gorgeous and even sitting at still..it still screams. The thing about Supra is it can be so fast that even if you see one on the road, you would second guess yourself to race one. You don't know what they pack inside as most of the boosted Supra look stock.

Mod edit: NWS photo removed. Please review our NWS policy here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298280
Respect goes to the car, not the person driving it.

I have a lot of respect for the M3, its a stunning car and has the power/performance to go with it.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:32 AM
A clean ride is in

Originally Posted by importtuner
Man you had '98 TT 6-speed at one point, do you regret selling it?
Srika!! You have to post some pics!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I know, I'm just a kid

Here are some pics I took of my friends '98 Supra Twin Turbo. The color is a factory color and is called royal saphire pearl. Only 10 were painted this color in '98. He recently tried to sell it for $52,000, but decided to keep it instead. Another '98 rsp Supra I know of just sold for $54,000 I believe, in the Kansas City area.

I have high-res pics if anyone is interested, just let me know. And if anyone wants to see anything specifically let me know

Joe
Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Here is a nice royal saphire pearl on ebay. Current bid is $46k. However, it is a fully modded out version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra's