Took the G35C plunge.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry Loseit.....I still have my CL. If Scrib only got $20.5K for his.....I have 21K miles on mine, so I'd get MAYBE $20K. I owe $6900....so I'd have $13K to put down on $34K......My payments would be over $400 per month.....I always told myself I'd never pay more than $350 per month for ANYTHING!!!!!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my uncle is buying a G35 that looks exactly the same...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Scrib
Sorry guys... I was out tonight, visiting my sister for the day. I put 100 miles on the car, and so far I'm impressed. I did have a hell of a time getting the car moving on an incline. I almost tagged the car behind me.

Jesal - You can come and see it any time. Bring your ass down to Indiana.

For those who asked what I got for trade, it was 20.5K, 10100 miles. Yes, I lost a bit of money.

As for mods... I'm not going to do anything to the car with the exception of some tints. I've read bad things about the Injen intake that is available, and to be quiote honest I just want to leave the car stock. It doesn't need anything. I haven't really jumped on it, but the power in 3rd and 4th is nuts.

Tom - Call me crazy, but the ride is smoother when the road is good, but gets way bumpy when over rougher roads. Almost like the car transforms or something. If the roads are GOOD, I'd say the ride is better than the CLS. However, the tires make a LOT of noise it seems.

The spoiler looks better in person. The spoiler on the sedan looks like ASS, but I'm actually a fan of it on the coupe. As it was said, to each his own.

I'm really friggin' tired. It was a long day, and this whole experience has worn me out. I'll post more tomorrow.
Congrats Scrib, but i remember saying i thought the CL-S was fine as is when i bought it and i didn't want to mess with it too much, well that sure didn't happen !! Good luck.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
VERY NICE! Spoiler looks great too, better in person. Did you find out about the 17" option for the winter? I picked up my Z today...... I love it! MT is hella fun, still working on getting stick down! Made it safe to my house though....... lol

Spiroh- where are you?????????? and when you getting the Z???
Old 05-26-2003, 11:51 PM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to see great minds think alike. The three cars that I see here are the G35C, 350Z and of course the lovely CL-S. All 3 cars favorites of mine, and I guess I'm not alone. Other than driving a high end German car, the G35C and 350Z are the only other cars I could see myself in. Anyways, congrats on the new car and enjoy!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

Grats Bro !! Is that the Areo Package as well ???
Old 05-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Under the radar

Looks good.

What do you think of the interior?

It will probably be about 6 months before G35c & 350Z forums are added to this web site.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Jesal - You can come and see it any time. Bring your ass down to Indiana.
But i dont like corn

Let me know when you break in the car... i cant wait to see what it can do at the track

And you should come to the road course that me and the other bmw guys are going to. Not sure when we are going though.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:34 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Don't worry Loseit.....I still have my CL. If Scrib only got $20.5K for his.....I have 21K miles on mine, so I'd get MAYBE $20K. I owe $6900....so I'd have $13K to put down on $34K......My payments would be over $400 per month.....I always told myself I'd never pay more than $350 per month for ANYTHING!!!!!
cool....I was starting to feel all alone
Old 05-27-2003, 07:15 AM
Masshole

My god I want one so bad!!! SWEET CAR Scrib!!! The forecast calls for SPEED!!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Banned

nice choice dude, thats a sweet ride. are you gonna teach the little lady how to drive stick??? is she gonna get the chance to drive it alot? just be careful with that thing in winter, 280 HP, RWD, and a low ride height can be a recipie for disaster in the winter, are you considering getting a shitty winter beater or something?? with a G35C that nice, id want a winter beater. those 18s and lo-pro tires probably wont be too great in winter either. for the price of snow tires and 16 inch rims, you can probably get a 500 dollar POS car for winter. just a reccomendation.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
I haven't really been able to check one out. How are the back seats? I peeked through the window of one and they remind me of the back seats of my old firebird. Could adults ride ok back there for a while. I'm not talking some all day road trip but maybe a few hours at a time? Also does the sunroof (if yours has one) open all the way or 1/2 way like ours. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by synth19
VERY NICE! Spoiler looks great too, better in person. Did you find out about the 17" option for the winter? I picked up my Z today...... I love it! MT is hella fun, still working on getting stick down! Made it safe to my house though....... lol
Yeah, I just called tirerack. There are about 6 different 17" wheels that will fit over the Brembos, so I'm set. THANKFULLY! I wasn't looking forward to dishing out cash for a set of 18" for the winter months.

I'm getting used to the whole stick thing, slowly but surely. I have to suck it up and teach wifey how to drive it. Holy hell that'll be fun.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by CLSter

What do you think of the interior?
The first time I saw the interior in the car mag, I thought it looked like crap. But once I sat in the car, my opinion changed. The seats are damn comfortable, I like all the stearing wheel controls and the layout is pretty sweet. The compass is a nice added touch... Almost like I have a NAVI now.

I really think people need to sit in the car before passing judgement on the interior.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

you should take alook at some shitters dude, i wouldnt wanna be driving a pimp ride like that during winter. think about it, for the cost of 17s (which you are forced into due to the brembos) and 17" snow tires, plus the cost to insure the thing over winter months, you could EASILY have 1000 bucks right there to buy a POS to drive in the winter, keep the miles off the G, and keep the salt, snow, slush, dirt off the G. with the CL-S its, hard to justify storing it in winter, as its basically meant for winter driving, with FWD and all, but the G35 is a whole new ballgame, no way id drive that thing in winter in northern indiana/chicago.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
But i dont like corn

Let me know when you break in the car... i cant wait to see what it can do at the track

And you should come to the road course that me and the other bmw guys are going to. Not sure when we are going though.
I was so close to going up to Gingerman with my 330Ci buddy this weekend. Thankfully I didn't decide to go, as the Infiniti isn't even close to being broken it yet. I was going to take the CL and see how it went.

We'll have to meet up for lunch or something??? Maybe a mini-meet somewhere??? Just the peeps here on ACL?
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Instructor

"I really think people need to sit in the car before passing judgement on the interior"

I did and of course this is subjective. I just didn't like the interior of the car. I think some of the material was not very high quality and some of the controls are not well placed (i.e. the volume and temp control being far from the driver.) Just my opinion.

My sister just got the I35 and I just had a loaner G35 sedan and I think the I35 has a plusher interior.

I have to agree that the G35C has a beautiful exterior, much much nicer than the sedan.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by isbworking
I haven't really been able to check one out. How are the back seats? I peeked through the window of one and they remind me of the back seats of my old firebird. Could adults ride ok back there for a while. I'm not talking some all day road trip but maybe a few hours at a time? Also does the sunroof (if yours has one) open all the way or 1/2 way like ours. Thanks.
I'm short, 5'8" and I fit back their just fine. My buddy is 6'3" and his head smacked the rear glass. Seat are comfortable, and would be tolerable if you are below 6'.

Sunroof opens the ENTIRE way and is one touch open and close. And it's super quiet.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I have to suck it up and teach wifey how to drive it. Holy hell that'll be fun.
My wife doesn't drive my car -- she has no interest in learning stick. I got lucky.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by jimcol711
you should take alook at some shitters dude, i wouldnt wanna be driving a pimp ride like that during winter. think about it, for the cost of 17s (which you are forced into due to the brembos) and 17" snow tires, plus the cost to insure the thing over winter months, you could EASILY have 1000 bucks right there to buy a POS to drive in the winter, keep the miles off the G, and keep the salt, snow, slush, dirt off the G. with the CL-S its, hard to justify storing it in winter, as its basically meant for winter driving, with FWD and all, but the G35 is a whole new ballgame, no way id drive that thing in winter in northern indiana/chicago.
I hear ya... But I don't think I'm going to go that route. The car will have a dedicated winter rim/tire setup and I'm going to just take it slow. The car will be garaged, and I can wash it 7 days a week if I have to. I drove the CL year round and never had a problem keeping it clean and salt free. Just takes some patience.

It's just a car....
Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by dacura
"I really think people need to sit in the car before passing judgement on the interior"

I did and of course this is subjective. I just didn't like the interior of the car. I think some of the material was not very high quality and some of the controls are not well placed (i.e. the volume and temp control being far from the driver.) Just my opinion.

My sister just got the I35 and I just had a loaner G35 sedan and I think the I35 has a plusher interior.

I have to agree that the G35C has a beautiful exterior, much much nicer than the sedan.
And that's what I love about this place is the various opinions on a specific issue.

I agree that the volume and temp could be closer, and ALL my previous cars have had knobs to controls things like this. Buttons are quite a different feel. There's not ONE knob on the dashboard.

I've certainly seen better interior layouts and I've seen much worse ones. This layout is fine for me, and I know I'll get accustomed to it in no time.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1Cl-TypeS2NV
Grats Bro !! Is that the Areo Package as well ???
YEP!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

yeah, having a garage at your disposal is a BIG plus for wintertime. its crazy how many apartment dwellers with no garage or even worse, street parking, have nice ass cars and then they wonder why the cars go to shit with damage and stuff from door dings, winter weather, etc. as long as you can park it inside and clean it off frequently, it should be OK, other than that, its just a matter of handling a high-performance RWD car in snowy and icy conditions.

anyhow, congrats on the G35C, its a hell of a car!! absolutely gorgeous!!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Nice car.....

Hey scrib, nice car man, damn I am begining to 2nd guess my choice on buying the qx4. I really want a g35sedan or coupe 6mt. I should have bought one instead of the Q. Anyway, coming from a cls, is the ride visibility the same? How is the turning radius compared to the cls (U-turn). One more ? Are the fogs in the head lamps, or do the g35s come fogs at all? I am really thinking about giving the fiance the Qx4 and I buy a g35. Nice car!!!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Re: Nice car.....

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Hey scrib, nice car man, damn I am begining to 2nd guess my choice on buying the qx4. I really want a g35sedan or coupe 6mt. I should have bought one instead of the Q. Anyway, coming from a cls, is the ride visibility the same? How is the turning radius compared to the cls (U-turn). One more ? Are the fogs in the head lamps, or do the g35s come fogs at all? I am really thinking about giving the fiance the Qx4 and I buy a g35. Nice car!!!!!
Ah yes, my Blackfire homey.... Where have you been?

Visibility is fine and I haven't had any issues as of yet.

Turning radius is MUCH better. I pulled a U-Turn after making a wrong turn and did it quite easily. Pulled a 180 right on the road. I think thr turning radius is 3-feet better than the CLS.

There are xenons and fogs (both in the headlamp) on the car. With all of them on, it looks like one scary mother humper on the road.

Get one! You'll love it.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Re: Re: Nice car.....

Ah yes, my Blackfire homey.... Where have you been?

Visibility is fine and I haven't had any issues as of yet.

Turning radius is MUCH better. I pulled a U-Turn after making a wrong turn and did it quite easily. Pulled a 180 right on the road. I think thr turning radius is 3-feet better than the CLS.

There are xenons and fogs (both in the headlamp) on the car. With all of them on, it looks like one scary mother humper on the road.

Get one! You'll love it.
Hey I am still around, I just browse more on freshalloy now since I am a trader. ACL.com still has the best members though. I still Blackfire and now a certified member and get royal discounts.

I am getting harrassed by the Infiniti dealership out here. I brought my truck in for service and my sales guy is trying his hardest to put me in a g35. I sat in one and I loved it, despite what people say. I didn't test drive one because everytime I test drive something i end up buying it. Those answers that you gave me, just about sold me on a trip to infiniti this weekend to test drive one.

thx!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Re: Re: Re: Nice car.....

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Hey I am still around, I just browse more on freshalloy now since I am a trader. ACL.com still has the best members though. I still Blackfire and now a certified member and get royal discounts.
Ahem... Check your PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
how is ur 2nd gear shifting? does it get harder to shift into 2nd as ur rev high in 1st?
Old 05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by oonowindoo
how is ur 2nd gear shifting? does it get harder to shift into 2nd as ur rev high in 1st?
Um... I don't know to be honest, because I haven't taken it over 4K rpm yet.

Is there something that people are concerned about, a known issue perhaps? Or are you experiencing an issue???
Old 05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Um... I don't know to be honest, because I haven't taken it over 4K rpm yet.

Is there something that people are concerned about, a known issue perhaps? Or are you experiencing an issue???
well, i just hate my 2nd gear it s very smooth under normal driving condition, but if i wanna rev it to 5 or 6K then shift, the shifter becomes extremely tight and hard to shift into 2nd, sometimes it feels like i am about to break the shifter when i shift into 2nd.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Congradulations Scrib.
Is it a bigger car than the CL?
Old 05-27-2003, 04:23 PM

Damn, Nissan is making a killing here. G35c is a sweet car!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I fell in love with the car when I sat in it at the auto show. The only thing i didnt like is the tiny ass trunk. I have been spoiled by our huge ass trunks. I liked the interior of the G35. I would consider it ...but i just can't take that kind of hit. I wanna buy a house next year. I keep telling my self , "Priorities...priorities..."
Old 05-27-2003, 05:16 PM
__

DAMN scrib! That's a hot car! Congrats.

I am glad to see u aren't leaving us!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow nice looking car. If you gotta get out of a CL that is a classy way to go!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:55 AM
5th Gear

Originally posted by dacura

I just got my sedan 4 days ago and although I agree that i'm not in love with the interior, I decided already that I'm not gonna pay $7k extra for a 330i interior. Also, I'm only 5'2'' and I can reach the temp controls fine so I have no idea why some G owners complain about that. Who cares if the volume is farther away, that's why they put it on the steering wheel too. Makes it easier for my wife to use actually while I'm driving.

The I35 is plusher because it's marketed that way and the G is marketed as sport sedans and coupes. That's why the I35 is also FWD.

The coupe is definitely the nicer exterior but I don't feel like I'm missing much.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by oonowindoo
well, i just hate my 2nd gear it s very smooth under normal driving condition, but if i wanna rev it to 5 or 6K then shift, the shifter becomes extremely tight and hard to shift into 2nd, sometimes it feels like i am about to break the shifter when i shift into 2nd.
Since I'm still in the break-in period I can't comment on that. I've tried my best to stay off the throttle, but I can just feel the car wanting to go... It's going to be one hell of a ride when I finally open her up. That is if I ever get the stick thing down...

BUT... I have noticed the gearbox is rather notchy, although other G35C drivers say it will go away with time. One comment I can make in the FAVOR of the CLS 6spd is the gearbox and clutch are BEST IN CLASS. So much nicer than the G35C and BMW 330.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Pappy
Congradulations Scrib.
Is it a bigger car than the CL?
The interior dimensions are almost spot on with the CL. An inch or two either way. Two things that are smaller on the G, the trunk and rear headroom. If you're over 5'10", you'll crack your head on the rear window.

Even though the trunk is smaller, the back seat does fold down 100%. Which is something I wish the CL had. Even a 40-60 fold down would have been nice.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Daily Driver

Anyone know why the CL didn't put in fold-down rear seats? Is there a structural brace back there preventing it, or was it just cost-cutting to not include it?
Old 05-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
Anyone know why the CL didn't put in fold-down rear seats? Is there a structural brace back there preventing it, or was it just cost-cutting to not include it?

Quick Reply: Took the G35C plunge.