Today was a good day, too bad it was raining...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today was a good day, too bad it was raining...

Today was a good day.

Too bad it was raining.

I was invited to drive a '02 CLK55, '01 GS430 and '04 ('05?) IS300.

First up was the black cherry (?) on black GS430. Though it had 53K miles on the clock, it sounded and drove like a new car should IMHO. No rattles. No clunnking suspension. Just very quiet and smooth. Did I mention how quiet it was?! When I got behind the wheel, I had to double check the tach to see if it was already running, which it was. Just the opposite of our CLS, the throttle tip in was rather lazy and took a concerted effort to get moving. I'm sure one would get used to it, but it was odd coming from my CLS. Once underway, I only felt a bit more power than our CLS. Don't get me wrong, it can push you back in your seat just fine. WOT was accompanied by smooth tranny shifts and the downshifting via the shifter (no paddle shiftter buttons) was equally smooth. Even under full throttle, the engine sound was muted. Too much so for me. I want to hear it when I punch it, but only when I punch it. Moving the shifter laterally for manual shifts rather than fore to aft came naturally. At cruising speed, I felt like I had to keep a lot of pressure on the throttle to maintain speed. Lame. During the circuit around town and on the freeway, the traction control light came on a few times, but I never noticed it operating or the lack of traction that caused it to engage. It's not a sportscar, but neither is the CLS. It's a "near supersedan." Overall, a total sweetheart!

Next was the hot rod MB. Wow! Classic silver on black. My heart started to race as soon as I saw it and didn't stop until I brought it back. Ugh, that was dumb ... I should've just kept going and going. Great proportions and sweet AMG wheels. I was last in a '98 C220 and '88 560SL, which left a lot to be desired in the interior design department. I got the same feeling here, but I liked the look of the Command screen in the center dash; however, it's too low for my tastes. Ridiculous cupholder. Once fired up, I expected to hear the rumble of the massive V8 - no dice, yet. Before I headed out, I had to figure out the seats. They use what appears to be pneumatic adjustment set-up. No manually pumping it up fortunately, but when you decrease the amount of "hold" by the seats, they emit a whoosh of air. Odd, but maybe cool if I could figure out how to properly adjust them. Whatever. Just idling out of the lot, the V8 rumble comes through loud and clear. I was in for a surprise as I pulled into traffic ... at what must have been barely half throttle, this thing absolutely moves! I was shocked at its effortless low-end power. It was over from there for the poor little traction control light, as I repeatedly exercised WOT in SS (or their equivalent) and held 2nd gear to decelerate the car on the rain soaked roads. The loud rumbling V8 is simply intoxicating. Under WOT on the wet roads, the car got unsettled in the rear numerous times - making my perma grin even bigger! Memo to self: OK, that's what it's like to drive car with real muscle. In comparison to the plush GS430, the suspension on the CLK55 is super firm. Certianly not bad, but probably too much of a good thing 7/10ths of the time. Give me suspension settings! I also recall that it had big time brakes that matched the car's big time powerplant. This car made me want to try a E55 and C6 Vette. Would the bigger, but more powerful E55 move down the roadw ith this kind of authority?! Would the Vette make even better noises from underneath the hood?! I want to work for MotorTrend. damnit. Overall, it's a healthy sportscar impersonator.

Last up was something a lot closer to home financially. I asked to drive an '02, but I got keys to a new IS300 instead. Love the gauge cluster (except the self-promoting "Lexus" inscription dead center - cheesy), but it's a lot of info crammed into a tiny area. Who cares, it looks great! I'll deal with information overload. The seude inserts were a nice touch and made me feel like they'd hold me in place. I like the exterior dimensions of this car and its jampacked gauge cluster reminds me that this is a small sedan. Fortunately, the rest of the interior didn't remind me of the same. Like it's GS big brother, the IS300 is quieter and smoother than my CLS (has Comptech cans w/silent tip inserts) underway. Around turns, it feels a lot closer to a Mini Cooper S than my rolly polly CLS. I haven't driven a TSX, but think the Lexus inline six (apparently shared with the higher buck GS300) might sound better. Who knows for now. Lots of buttons on the center console and I like that. It means this car has a high BPD quotient (buttons per dollar). The console shifter was nicely rubber isolated that didn't require He-Man strength to engage SS (those of you with an '01 CLS, you know what I'm talking about) and its steering wheel mounted shift buttons were novel. Both left me green with envy. The 215hp IS300 has adequate punch, but I want more. Do I need more? Maybe not. Overall, it's an excellent sedan - assuming the backseat is bigger than it looks. [Inside info: The next IS will come in an AWD "250" version with about 225-250hp and a "RWD 350" version with +300hp.]

As I left the lot for the day, I was again impressed with the neck snapping performance of my stock CLS. It's a good looking car that goes like hell and doesn't cost a mint to buy or maintain. It'd sure be nice to upgrade one day, but I'm happy where I'm at for now. OK, still a little green with envy...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:07 PM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the descriptions. Coming from a 1998 Subaru Forester, I must say that Im thoroughly satisfied with my CLS!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
Thanks for the descriptions. Coming from a 1998 Subaru Forester, I must say that Im thoroughly satisfied with my CLS!

I went from an 88 Celica (complete with broken frame) to a 95 Camry (salvage title but I knew the owner) to an 01 CL-S in a matter of one year. Have had chances to upgrade since, but it'd be a waste. This is all the car I'll ever need. I just need to drop it now

Excellent write-ups. Is it a magazine that you work for? If not, you might as well. And I'm a fan of the BPD quotient myself, especially around the steering wheel area.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what mods do u have on your cl-s??

nice reviews
Old 10-21-2004, 01:02 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
nice reviews. that was a good read. wouldnt mind driving the clk55 anyday
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write-up on the 3 cars.

Are you looking for a new car or were you just testing for the fun of it?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Racer

Stock CLS except for the big cans on the back with quiet tip inserts. Whatever gain I might've had was returned when I plugged them. Hated the resonating at fwy speeds.

Sorta in the market, but mainly a car salesman best friend. He's had lots of incredible cars come across his lot, but I've never taken him up on the offer to take them out for a spin. Hate to ruin his gig with a joy ride.

Yes, the CLK55 was AWESOME! I'm not generally a MB guy, but this one changes everything.

Glad you enjoyed the write-ups. I enjoyed the wheel time!

I read the G35 rental car write-up and am convinced that I need to drive one of those next.