TL vs Lexis IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF 993TTR
nsx this nsx that...that car is not meant to drag...i'm ready for any nsx to run me on road track or drags. i sold my nsx because it was such an awesome car. you're bragging about an nsx running 11s.....let me tell you theres at least 40-50 sc300 and is300s running that time or faster...and theyre luxury overweight cars.

brahtw8 - give me an is300...you take an e46. we'll use the same amount of money and we'll see who win on a road track.
LIke so many other threads on this board, this one is getting a bit off topic and a bit out of hand.

I don't know why you care so much about these particular subjects. I didn't bring the NSX into this discussion, but rather responded on one occasion to 1SICKLEX's statement about the Comptech car. And no, the NSX is not designed to be a drag car and is ill-suited for forced induction owing to its high compression.

As for the E46, I don't think anyone (and certainly not me) is saying it has greater drag race or straight-line speed potential than the IS, or anything else with a 2JZ engine.

However, the kind of aftermarket support that exists for the 2JZ and/or the IS is not the same kind of aftermarket support that exists for BMWs. In the limited context of the modifications people do for HPDEs and to run SCCA races, I believe there are more parts available for the E46 and BMWs in general. These are not the kind of parts that dominate the NOPI catalog or that are made by Greddy, Blitz, etc.

Quite frankly, I don't see why you care what other people have. You say you have such a sick RUF and a sick SC300, good for you. Run all the people you want for slips if it makes you feel better.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:02 AM
Instructor

i never said i have a sick ruf or sick sc3...all im saying is if the car has a 2jz in it...it can be made fast cheap. maybe you feel what i said was out of line, im on this board to share thoughts and ideas...not to be an "internet macho man."

anyways, imma put in a plug...i have a set of forged multipiece wheels for sale. brand new for the e46 and also a 330ci (18k miles fully loaded navi and sports package) and a 330i (5spd fully loaded sports package, no navi).

some pics of the wheels

Old 06-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
e46? are you on crack? have u seen an e46 run 10s...have you seen more than one do so? i didnt think so. theyre owners are the types that say "drags are for pussies."...i owned a few in the pas year....good cars. but you'll spend twice the price of the car to make it run 10s. how much does the dinan intake cost for the e46? exactly my point. new motor = 12k. new clutch = 2k (clutch alone).

as for you youngTL - give me 5k and an is300 and i'll put it in low 11s...or else i'll give you my porsche. and if i can make it run low 11s...you give me a new TL. that's a deal or what?

nsx this nsx that...that car is not meant to drag...i'm ready for any nsx to run me on road track or drags. i sold my nsx because it was such an awesome car. you're bragging about an nsx running 11s.....let me tell you theres at least 40-50 sc300 and is300s running that time or faster...and theyre luxury overweight cars.

the is300 has a 2jz... one of the best production motor. if it goes FI, there's no motor that will be able to go against it...stock motors that is.

brahtw8 - give me an is300...you take an e46. we'll use the same amount of money and we'll see who win on a road track.

anyways, I am offering anyone on this board who runs a "fast" tl to run against my car of choice (that i own) since they have no faith in other cars besides the TL. wait...ill rephrase that...i'll run in my SC3 or IS3. we'll run for slip and have the webmaster be the judge. anyone up for it? btw..my sc300 has about 1500 worth of mods.....talks cheap...you'll learn that in business class

I didn't know it would be that cheap to get the IS300 to run that fast. Clearly you're in a better position than me to know how much modifications cost, cause I haven't done any to any car ever. When I buy a car I usually end up spending most of my money on it, so it better be good enough in the first place. I'd probably consider the IS300 if I had the money, but I don't. The only Lexus I could afford is a 1992 ES300 with 220000km on it...mind you Lexus has one of the best reputations for quality around. I'm gonna have a really hard time picking a car when I graduate because Lexus and Acura both offer a lot of what I want. Acura costs less and is more frugal on gas in general, and Lexus costs more, eats more gas usually, but has better build quality.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by youngTL
I didn't know it would be that cheap to get the IS300 to run that fast. Clearly you're in a better position than me to know how much modifications cost, cause I haven't done any to any car ever. When I buy a car I usually end up spending most of my money on it, so it better be good enough in the first place. I'd probably consider the IS300 if I had the money, but I don't. The only Lexus I could afford is a 1992 ES300 with 220000km on it...mind you Lexus has one of the best reputations for quality around. I'm gonna have a really hard time picking a car when I graduate because Lexus and Acura both offer a lot of what I want. Acura costs less and is more frugal on gas in general, and Lexus costs more, eats more gas usually, but has better build quality.
Lexus now offers a $750 rebate to college grads. The next IS 300 sedan/coupe/vert/wagon is out next fall. Acura is entry level luxury and Lexus is a full blown luxury car maker. People go from Acuras to Lexus and from Lexus to AMG/M models and so on.
The TSX is a great cheap car for a college grad to start with.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus now offers a $750 rebate to college grads. The next IS 300 sedan/coupe/vert/wagon is out next fall. Acura is entry level luxury and Lexus is a full blown luxury car maker. People go from Acuras to Lexus and from Lexus to AMG/M models and so on.
I'm also really tempted by the ES330. Too bad it's a pig on gas. If they come out with a hybrid (probably wont be too long), I'd hold out for that. I'm more of a cruiser than a hard driver, but I like to push my car sometimes. TSX is a good idea too, but it's not offered in Navi in Canada...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by youngTL
I'm also really tempted by the ES330. Too bad it's a pig on gas. If they come out with a hybrid (probably wont be too long), I'd hold out for that. I'm more of a cruiser than a hard driver, but I like to push my car sometimes. TSX is a good idea too, but it's not offered in Navi in Canada...
ES 330 Hybrid is coming I think in 2006. I agree the gas mileage currently could be better. The TSX has better mileage but it does have 2 fewer cylinders.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Instructor

2 fewer and a lot more interior noise in the long run IMO.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:30 PM

e46? are you on crack? have u seen an e46 run 10s...have you seen more than one do so? i didnt think so. theyre owners are the types that say "drags are for pussies."...i owned a few in the pas year....good cars. but you'll spend twice the price of the car to make it run 10s. how much does the dinan intake cost for the e46? exactly my point. new motor = 12k. new clutch = 2k (clutch alone).

as for you youngTL - give me 5k and an is300 and i'll put it in low 11s...or else i'll give you my porsche. and if i can make it run low 11s...you give me a new TL. that's a deal or what?

the is300 has a 2jz... one of the best production motor. if it goes FI, there's no motor that will be able to go against it...stock motors that is.

anyways, I am offering anyone on this board who runs a "fast" tl to run against my car of choice (that i own) since they have no faith in other cars besides the TL. wait...ill rephrase that...i'll run in my SC3 or IS3. we'll run for slip and have the webmaster be the judge. anyone up for it? btw..my sc300 has about 1500 worth of mods.....talks cheap...you'll learn that in business class
So what do u have on your car? lol

$1500 hm...

Have u been shopping on www.cheapturbos.com ?
Old 06-12-2004, 06:10 PM

Drag racing is gettin a bit old. You can make any car go fast in the quarter mile with lots and lots of money.

Its all about tuning a car to be able to do things other than go in a straight line... Stiffer chassis, full race suspension. etc etc. For example, a stock integra type r will eat a turboed h23/vtec hatch on the circuit track.
Yes the hatch may have 500 horsepower and pull 10 second quarter mile runs, but the weight distribution (because of the swap) is out of whack, you would have so much understeer. Youd spin the tires thru every turn, slamming into walls. Integra would probably lap u before u even finished the first turn.

For those of you who brag about an economobile with 1000 hp and 8 second runs...
If Ferrari wanted to, they'd make the enzo the weight of a CRX and really blow the doors off of econoboxes... but ..they built it to be a handling king.. the low 11 second ET doesnt mean shit on the circuit track.

All i know is i drive my TL everyday to school and work, its a great car... I never bought the car w/ the intention of puttin aftermarket parts on it but i did... it will always be slow i know that... But not as slow as an is300 :sqntfawk:

But im sure the is300 w/ forced induction would be one hellova super touring car hehe.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Theres a low 13 sec TL running the streets Its by far the fastest TL, why dont u challenge this guy LOL. He spent 7 grand tho

T3/T4 TURBO
CUSTOM TURBO MANIFOLD
3 IN STAINLESS STEEL DOWN PIPE
2 1/2 IN CHARGE PIPES
MSD FUEL PUMP
MSD BOOST TIMING RETARD
SAFC2
VORTEC FMU
TIAL 38 WASTEGATE
GREDDY TYPE S BOV
GREDDY TYPE 24 INTERCOOLER ( BIG ONE)
44O RC INJECTORS
GREDDY WIDE BAND
GREDDY BOOST
GREDDY PROFEC B
Old 06-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Edr0e
Drag racing is gettin a bit old. You can make any car go fast in the quarter mile with lots and lots of money.

Its all about tuning a car to be able to do things other than go in a straight line... Stiffer chassis, full race suspension. etc etc. For example, a stock integra type r will eat a turboed h23/vtec hatch on the circuit track.
Yes the hatch may have 500 horsepower and pull 10 second quarter mile runs, but the weight distribution (because of the swap) is out of whack, you would have so much understeer. Youd spin the tires thru every turn, slamming into walls. Integra would probably lap u before u even finished the first turn.

For those of you who brag about an economobile with 1000 hp and 8 second runs...
If Ferrari wanted to, they'd make the enzo the weight of a CRX and really blow the doors off of econoboxes... but ..they built it to be a handling king.. the low 11 second ET doesnt mean shit on the circuit track.

All i know is i drive my TL everyday to school and work, its a great car... I never bought the car w/ the intention of puttin aftermarket parts on it but i did... it will always be slow i know that... But not as slow as an is300 :sqntfawk:

But im sure the is300 w/ forced induction would be one hellova super touring car hehe.
What are you talking about...your car is slow...my arse! The TL is hardly a slow car. Try driving a 1990 Toyota 4Runner and then you will know what the true meaning of slow is. Or worse yet, a Ford Tempo Even my old 4Runner was faster than those (I know cause a friend had one and I raced him to the speed limit ). So just be thankful that you don't worry about dying every time you have to merge because your car is too slow to get up to speed in 10 seconds.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:24 PM

Haha funny that u mention a tempo. My good friend back in teh days used to have a black on tan tempo. Damn that thing had a top speed of 70mph, and when he gunned it the whole front end of the car/hood would lift up. I once borrowed my friends 88 chrysler Le Baron when i first moved to Hawaii, you'd put it in DRIVE and it would wait 20 seconds before actually engaging violently. Man those were the days
Old 06-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro

My mother-inlaw had one (Ford Tempo) for 13 years; she bought it new in 1988. That thing made NO pretense of performance. The only Tempo that had Okay performance was the 92-94 V6 coupe GLS w/5MT ; it could actually run low 16s (which makes it a rocket for a Tempo).
Old 06-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edr0e
So what do u have on your car? lol

$1500 hm...

Have u been shopping on www.cheapturbos.com ?

no sir, stock non-turbo manifold turbo'd sc300. does that make sense?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Thats funny; all this talk about racing for pink slips, e46's, NSX's, etc, etc.

I thought the guy just asked about the IS vs the TL?? With no mention of spending thousands on turbos, etc??? Of all the cars out there, even among enthusiasts, its not like those kind of cars are common.

Try to stay on track guys, and keep it objective. Impossible for some I know, but try anyway.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:03 PM

no sir, stock non-turbo manifold turbo'd sc300. does that make sense?

Old 06-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Thats funny; all this talk about racing for pink slips, e46's, NSX's, etc, etc.

I thought the guy just asked about the IS vs the TL?? With no mention of spending thousands on turbos, etc??? Of all the cars out there, even among enthusiasts, its not like those kind of cars are common.

Try to stay on track guys, and keep it objective. Impossible for some I know, but try anyway.
Yeah, it's always the same jerkoff who wants to race for pinkslips, money, catfood , lol,. That RUFTTR guy.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:29 AM

This is what i mean by supertouring
Old 06-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Damm, that thing looks like its body is made entirely of carbon fiber
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM

The IS 300 just beat the RSX (which did place 2nd) in the ST class in Watkins Glen, NY. The 996 beat the 350Z in the GT class. The RSX is great in ST class too.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
IS=nice car (but not luxury)

Originally Posted by Michaelvg1
How are our cars against the IS?

I see they are coming out with a V8....
The IS300 is a cute little car with a chronograph-like dash that I like. I also like the seat material. It's like suede.

Size-wise, it's in the TSX catagory, but with a 6 cyl. engine. It is nimble but underpowered. It's fun to drive and not unpleasant to look at.

I think it has great potential when Lexus figures out which market they are targeting and when they give it some cajones.

XP
Old 07-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Gee. That's three times now you've said that Acura is a luxury car. So often, in other posts, you say they're not.

My own read is that Models, not makes, are luxury (or not). All Acuras are not luxury. All Lexus are not luxury. All M-B are not luxury. All BMW are not luxury. But each manufacturer has luxury models.

It is a generalization for you to say people go from Acuras to Lexus. I went from Lexus and BMW to Acura. I now have a Lexus on order but not to "move up" from Acura. It was cheaper than an MDX.

All generalizations are false (including this one).

XP
Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Who Dis Is?

I have no idea what ya'll are thinking by ever saying that an Acura TL is better than an IS300. Yea the Acura has lots of toys to play with whenyour driving. But the IS has lots of enhancements that you'll actually use while your driving. The stock IS isn't too underpowered considereing it is a RWD and all 215 hp is rwhp not just the curb amount. As mentioned already all a IS300 is is an upgraded luxury supra and everybody knows the capacity of a supra. Shit they make a freaking stage 4 turbo for the IS. I drive a TL right know and I have a few mods on it not to peel the wheels on the track but just for my own enjoyment of spending my money and having fun with the car (which I do) but when it comes to driving an IS it's like taking a huge satisfying shit. The grip of the car while taking a turn that if you were in an Ack you'd have to hit the brakes just because of natural reaction when the IS you be hitting the gas. Truely an amazing car yeah I wish the price could be docked a little. But with a 5 speed RWD, LSD (not on 2004 anymore), and the countless and inexpensive amount of mods the IS300 would be my choice without a doubt there's no argument to it.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Correct me if I'm worng but I thought the GS 300 shared the same motor as the Supra and not the IS.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Come again?

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
I have no idea what ya'll are thinking by ever saying that an Acura TL is better than an IS300. ...The grip of the car while taking a turn that if you were in an Ack you'd have to hit the brakes just because of natural reaction when the IS you be hitting the gas. Truely an amazing car yeah I wish the price could be docked a little. But with a 5 speed RWD, LSD (not on 2004 anymore), and the countless and inexpensive amount of mods the IS300 would be my choice without a doubt there's no argument to it.
Tunaboy,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Even a teenager is entitled to that. I see that your TL is five years old and that you have done quite a bit of modifications to improve its performance. I also understand those are your priorities. But, for most new TL buyers, it is not (modifications).

The IS is an interesting little car with some good handling and performance characteristics. The 3 Liter straight 6 is a proven engine, as you say. However, you are mistaken about the 215 being Rear Wheel Horsepower. Lexus does not rate their cars at the rear wheels. Dyno tests will give true RWH.

You mention the great handling of the IS300. True again- but not as good as the NEW, 3rd generation TL. According to Road & Track magazine's testing, the IS300 has a skidpad number of .83g and slalom of 64.5 mph. A base TL is .87g and 65.8 mph. The TL is also quicker in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs.

Although I like the IS300, I don't put it in the same catagory as the TL. It is smaller, and lacks the features and refinement of the TL. It also has 55 HP disadvatage.

As for looks? That's a matter of individual taste. Obviously, I like the TL because that's what I bought. That doesn't mean I didn't like the IS300. I just like the TL better.

Also, when I drove the IS300, I thought it was a 4. It's performance characteristic were similar to a TSX I had driven just before it.

That's just my view.

XP
Old 07-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Instructor

The IS300 are so cheap looking. I don't care if there are performance parts for them or if it's a Lexus. It looks like a glorified Corolla.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Race Director

is a Inline 6 and a V6 that different?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket0901
The IS300 are so cheap looking. I don't care if there are performance parts for them or if it's a Lexus. It looks like a glorified Corolla.
Like your Accord/Civic look-alike?