TL info on Tivo

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003 | 09:50 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

TL info on Tivo

"A higher form of performance from Acura" They should have marketed the CL this well. Tivo has these commercials they upload to you that you can't delete. This one is all about the TL. The current commercial, segments on Hands Free Link, Voice Recognition Navigation and Keyless Memory Settings.

You learn something new everyday. I didn't realize that with the Navi versions they can dial phone numbers of businesses listed using the Hands Free Link and your bluetooth phone.
Old 10-21-2003 | 11:06 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

you can't delete the commercials off the TIVO???!?

If this is the case I am glad I have not purchased one as of yet...
Old 10-22-2003 | 04:52 AM
Advanced

It's not as bad as it sounds. There is an option on the main menu to view these commercials if you want. There is also a section where you can go in and select which showcases (their term for the longer commercials) you'd like to watch; typically it keeps the last 3 or 4 series.

Unlike commercials on regular TV, you never have to watch these, and if you do like the content, you can watch them whenever you want. The TL ones are actually pretty sweet, showing the technical details of the car including the nav system, how the bluetooth phone feature works, etc.

The commercials are also stored in a reserved portion of the hard drive that is not advertised as part of the space of the unit. In other words, if you buy a "40 hour Tivo unit", you really get at least 40 hours of storage space for your own recordings, plus there is a reserved space to store these commercials and other data.
Old 10-22-2003 | 06:22 AM
Racer

Yeah I saw this last night. I thought it was VERY cool!
Old 10-22-2003 | 06:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
you can't delete the commercials off the TIVO???!?

If this is the case I am glad I have not purchased one as of yet...
It isn't as it sounds.....

When you record something, you can Fast Forward through commercials at 10x, 30x or 60x speed. You can also turn on a hidden 30 second skip feature that allows you to instantaneously skip 30 seconds (not FF, but jump).....4 pushes of the button instantly jumps 2 minutes ahead.

The "commercials" that the original poster is speaking about is in the form of a "Yellow Star" with text next to it that appears at the bottom of the main menu. You can choose to ignore the star, or if you click on it, it brings you to a screen where you can play clips related to the content. In this case, there is a Yellow Star with the text "A higher Performance from Acura" next to it that appears on the main menu. You aren't forced in any way to go any further than to see that star. If you click on it, there are different video clips you can watch about the TL, the Navi, etc.

If you have NFL sunday Ticket and a DirectTV/TiVo combo box, on Monday a yellow star shows up for highlights from all of Sunday's games that you can watch. There are sometimes movie trailers, show trailers (before last season's Sopranos, they had previews of the upcoming season that no one else saw). They have had premiere music videos before they are on MTV/VH1 and have showcased new cars.

Again, you can choose to ignore these....it doesn't use up any useable space on your hard drive.....there is a reserved space put aside for the OS and for this type of content.

If you want find out more about TiVo, check out http://www.tivocommunity.com
or ask me.....I have 5 Tivos, with several of them upgraded with extra drive space (one can store 228 hours of programming, and two others 108 hours.)
Old 10-22-2003 | 06:50 AM
The Creator

those TL clips are phat. i want the TLs navi