TL: A Goofy Name for a Great Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL: A Goofy Name for a Great Car?

One of the reasons that the TL hasn't been as successful recently as Acura would like is the TL nameplate. I am going to be buying a CPO Acura TL, and the first thing I am going to tell the dealer is to remove the emblems saying Acura and TL from the trunk lid. The "A" looks fine though, and that will stay.

Let's face it, Acura was trying to ape Lexus which was trying to ape Mercedes Benz by coming up with these ridiculous initials like TSX, TL, RL MDX , etc. instead of the older names like Integra, Vigor, and Legend. It is probably too late for Acura to admit that made a mistake, but I think they should bring back the old nameplates back to Acura. Acura isn't a Mercedes or BMW, and never will be. Acura is better in its own niche and needs to make its own identity, instead of parroting the other "luxury brands". I should note that Rolls Royce, the most prestigious automobile make of all, never fell for the meaningless initial nomenclature. Rolls Royce uses names like Phantom and Silver Spur and Bentley uses Azure and Continetal.

It is time for Acura to dump the bogus initials (that are absolutely meaningless), for some new and creative nameplates. Back to the Future in other words.

And if my dealer won't remove the TL logo from my new TL, I will not be accepting delivery!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
0.o
Interesting...
Reminds me of all the other similar threads.
What happened to those? moved? Deleted?

This sounds like a thread for ramblings/car talk
Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
e92 335i

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I personally like the "TL" and all the other acura nomenclature
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
Wow, another TL thread, cool.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Yes the car is a HUGE failure. And the name is totally to blame.

Sounds to me like you are aping an retard.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think it really matters to be honest, although I prefer the name Acura Legend over Acura RL.

But note that Acura has used the lettering nameplate since the introduction of the NSX, back in the early 90s, so

Your argument is invalid as a result.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing wrong the the TL name, its just rolls off the tongue. OTOH RDX, MDX is too easy to mix up.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
"TL" seems fine to me?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Mitch, if you're not going to accept delivery simply because your car has TL badging-something is really wrong. We all appreciate your opinion. But indeed, it is just an opinion-which you are entitled to.

You do realize that the TL badging comes off very easily (on your own), don't you? And you're hopefully buying this CPO because of the integrity of the car along with it's great track record-not necessarily the names, yes?

Ape-ing....?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Take it easy and accept delivery. Do what most people do, debadge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCHyK...eature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41F4...eature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Pbx1voDVQ
Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe you should ask the dealer to put "Type-R" on the back while your at it?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Mitch, if you're not going to accept delivery simply because your car has TL badging-something is really wrong. We all appreciate your opinion. But indeed, it is just an opinion-which you are entitled to.

You do realize that the TL badging comes off very easily (on your own), don't you? And you're hopefully buying this CPO because of the integrity of the car along with it's great track record-not necessarily the names, yes?

Ape-ing....?

If you can tell me what TL stands for, maybe I will change my mind. My understanding is that it stands for nothing, dreamt up by some hack in the Marketing Dept. "Ape" as in Monkey See Monkey Do. Acura came before Lexus and when Lexus started outselling Acura, the suits at Acura said, "I have a great idea, lets get rid of the models names and start using initials like MB and Lexus". This just shows a lack of imagination on Acura's part, and why now they are going to reposition Acura to compete against Audi and Volvo, not so much Lexus or MB.

Acura doesn't have the prestige of Lexus or MB, and never will. That is not important to me, but most Luxury car buyers are very concerned about it.

Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton both drive Benz's, and would never be seen driving an Acura. It is what it is.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lifetimeofwar
Take it easy and accept delivery. Do what most people do, debadge...

[
Yes, I am familiar with how to remove the emblems from the back trunk lid. But Acura Dealers are supposed to go the extra mile for the customer. It will take them 15 minutes at most and they can do it at the same time they are removing the Dealer name emblem from the trunk as well.

P.S. Are Acura Dealers still giving out free coffee these days? Last time I went to the Infiniti dealer, he was charging $1.25 for customers sitting in the waiting room. And a pastry was $3.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchflorida
Yes, I am familiar with how to remove the emblems from the back trunk lid. But Acura Dealers are supposed to go the extra mile for the customer. It will take them 15 minutes at most and they can do it at the same time they are removing the Dealer name emblem from the trunk as well.

P.S. Are Acura Dealers still giving out free coffee these days? Last time I went to the Infiniti dealer, he was charging $1.25 for customers sitting in the waiting room. And a pastry was $3.
REALLY?!?!?! Holy crap about charging people that's freaking homo. Idk about Acura but MB,LEXUS all have free stuff. Lexus has amazing penut butter cookies and coffee. MB just has a lot of good cold drinks.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Yes the car is a HUGE failure. And the name is totally to blame.

Sounds to me like you are aping an retard.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by phee
oopsy, youre right. finger happy typing right thur
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
The Third Ball

Jesus Christ you are a bitchy sad sack. Go find another forum to whine around.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced

I will post as much as I like, and if you don't like it, you can just ignore this entire topic. I should have mentioned, that I am looking for INTELLIGENT comments only. All others, need not apply.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Acura TL NBP

This is guy is so repolsive.. Tl stands for touring luxury if yu don't like it don't buy a acura and get off a acura based site..
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
and if my dealer won't remove the tl logo from my new tl, i will not be accepting delivery!
wtf are u on??? You swear like they named it pinky or something...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:34 PM
The Third Ball

I will post as much as I like, and if you don't like it, you can just ignore this entire topic. I should have mentioned, that I am looking for INTELLIGENT comments only. All others, need not apply.

Here is a clue. If you want intelligent replies, you need to make an intelligent post first.

Go find a banana ape boy.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Here is a clue. If you want intelligent replies, you need to make an intelligent post first.

Go find a banana ape boy.
2010 6-speed Challenger..
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by akplaya92
2010 6-speed Challenger..
Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
If you can tell me what TL stands for, maybe I will change my mind. My understanding is that it stands for nothing, dreamt up by some hack in the Marketing Dept. "Ape" as in Monkey See Monkey Do. Acura came before Lexus and when Lexus started outselling Acura, the suits at Acura said, "I have a great idea, lets get rid of the models names and start using initials like MB and Lexus". This just shows a lack of imagination on Acura's part, and why now they are going to reposition Acura to compete against Audi and Volvo, not so much Lexus or MB.

Acura doesn't have the prestige of Lexus or MB, and never will. That is not important to me, but most Luxury car buyers are very concerned about it.

Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton both drive Benz's, and would never be seen driving an Acura. It is what it is.
I'm still trying to determine why this should really matter at this point in the game particuarly as the 'TL' name was not the reason for the success of the 2G and 3G TL nor the sales failure of the 4G. (Whether you like it or not, the TL name now has a pedigree as evidence by the success of the prior two generations.)

But if it's that big a deal then please DONT take delivery of a new TL. I'm sure that some folks here wouldn't have any problem if you chose a Lexus or BMW instead.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^srsly? you go into a rant on a forum, starting your own thread, and you don't bother looking up to see if "TL" means anything first

and what the hell does what Lohan and Hilton drive matter in this at all?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
wow, whats this guys deal?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mitch14
^srsly? you go into a rant on a forum, starting your own thread, and you don't bother looking up to see if "TL" means anything first

What does MDX, NSX, RDX, RL TSX and ZDX stand for? I am not just talking bout the TL.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
The Third Ball

Who gives a flying fuck?

They are nameplates given to a vehicle. They don't have to mean anything.

If you have such an issue with this then go a buy a car with an actual name. Fuck, if we have to listen to you bitch like a little girl about the name of the car. What a miserable life you are going to have every time someone calls your car what it is...a TL. As if taking off the badges is going to change that fact.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
1) TL = Touring Luxury

2) Who gives two shits what Lindsay Lohan drives??

3) Lose the attitude

4) I have yet to see a Mercedes, Lexus or a BMW with a 'name'
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
2) Who gives two shits what Lindsay Lohan drives??
A homosexual ten year boy old named Mitch trolling around car forums because he got bored on TMZ.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, I posted at 1:35 PM. I came back from shopping 4 hours later-you guys have been busy!

I've been laughing just from "reading and catching up" with all the replies.

And hey, I just reread the title of your post Mitch. The TL is a GREAT CAR. If you don't take delivery of your CPO, it's YOUR loss. Buck up and get the TL (Touring Luxury).

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced

it's funny because Sarlac doesn't even drive an Acura . . he has saved up his nickles and dimes for a DODGE . . a DODGE for goodness sakes. Isn't that funny? A challenger to boot.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Disinformation Terminator

This will not be contender for thread of the year.

So would it be totally awesome for the TL to still be known as the Vigor?

Introducing the all-new Acura Vigor SH-AWD!

IMHO, Vigor was one of the :theghey:est names ever given to a motor vehicle. Calling it the Acura SnappyFish would have been better.

In conclusion, nomenclature like Acura's and Mercedes' is used to differentiate between ever increasing model lines. If it rubs you wrong, debadge or replace with VTEC stickers. Relating it to potentially lost sales is uncharted territory.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
it's funny because Sarlac doesn't even drive an Acura . . he has saved up his nickles and dimes for a DODGE . . a DODGE for goodness sakes. Isn't that funny? A challenger to boot.
Well he owned an Acura.

He now drives a Challenger which is the only Dodge that i'd ever be remotely interested in.

IMO, its better looking than anything Acura currently produces.

Is that funny? No, its not funny 'to boot'
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
The Third Ball

Ohhhh I didnt see this one coming at all!

I had an Acura was more than happy to dump it.

Now tell me mr.moronflorida...what exactly do you know about the dodge challenger? I'm guessing very little and youre trying to make an assumption that because its a dodge its just a cheap american piece of junk.

And everyone here knows how smart you are because of the assumptions you make about Acura using alpha numeric names.

Really, I guess you should be jealous....because both of my cars and my wife's car have actual names. Awwwwwwwwwww.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You still haven't answered my first post, mitchflorida.

If you are arguing that Acura had adopted the use of letters as nameplates between car models to emulate Lexus and MB, then explain why they used the NSX nameplate back in the early 90s whilest retaining the Legend and Vigor nameplate?

I think they realized that in order to establish uniformity within the brand they should retain a commonality between the varying models not only through the exterior design but by the nameplate as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread will not progress fruitfully nor will it end well. It was further evident that this was the intent of the thread starter. Hence, this thread has reached its terminus. Mitchflorida: do NOT attempt to resurrect this discussion in another thread.