TL = overpriced Honda according to coworker

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL = overpriced Honda according to coworker

One of my coworkers who is a sarcastic SOB made the following comment to me last week. I have the mindset that if someone's got my goat, I never let them know they got my goat, so I laughed the comment off at the time. However it did get under my skin.

He said something to the effect of, "It's amazing how they take a pair of pliers and squeeze the H of Honda at the top to make a A, charge you another $15000 and then call it an Acura."

I replied that my overpriced Honda could kick the sh*t out of his crappy-*ss Buick.

I never understood peoples' fascination with luxury vehicles and why they would pay extra money to drive a luxury car, but now that I own one, I see why. God willing, I'm driving luxury cars from here on out and never going back to regular cars. My TL is no overpriced Honda.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Exactly...Tell your coworker to shove it! My coworker says the same crap about my acura.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you both need to learn how to grow thicker skins and then find out how to deal with the now older-versions of the kids that used to poke fun at you on the playgrounds.

Either that or you're hanging around people that brag too much and think their opinions matter all the time. The best solution is to not make a remark about it, either positive, negative or neutral. They'll eventually get bored.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you btomcik but no point in arguing with these ppl because they don't know what we know and are too ignorant to even find out. And since they making comments like those, their mind isn't ready for an adult discussion anyway.

Btomcik, looks like you're a new owner, welcome! Which TL you got?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced

heck i'm currently a honda owner trying to move up to an acura owner, and i see nothing wrong with either car....i'm a proud honda owner, these cars beat any american car anyday...so to me i would've took that as a compliment
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Your co-worker drives a buick... nuff said... When he sells his @50k miles because it's falling apart you can give him some crap.

My last car GM car was a Pontiac Grand Am, started falling apart at 40k miles, put in about 4k between 40k and 110k miles when it finally died. Ugg I hate GM cars (and I grew up in Michigan).
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Buick is 'luxury' version of cars from GM. So its basically a Chevy underneath with fancy soft leather...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

pwned.

I went to buy my Mazdaspeed 6 a few years ago..
The same day, my father bought my brother a new RSX Type-S.
I was just making small talk with the rep while going through paperwork and what not, and he said the same thing.. that my brother was paying for the badges.

An Acura is a Honda, yes, but it is not overpriced.

I don't know anyone who would want a Honda Accord over a Acura TL, or an Civic over a RSX, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Yes, I'm a new TL owner. Actually, I have had the car for about 4 months but have been following this forum since then before joining officially today.

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD with the 6-speed manual. Black on black. Really enjoy the car, though I don't like the headrests.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by btomcik
Yes, I'm a new TL owner. Actually, I have had the car for about 4 months but have been following this forum since then before joining officially today.

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD with the 6-speed manual. Black on black. Really enjoy the car, though I don't like the headrests.
Congrats! Post some pics of your ride.

My friend took his 04 in for servicing & they gave him an 09 SHAWD. Man that baby handles well. I was waiting until the summer to get rid of my 04 & into the 2010, but I think i'll do it sooner.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
B-
Simple solution. Take him for a ride in your overpriced Honda. Give a few voice commands and then open it up. He'll never say anything bad about it again.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by btomcik

Congrats! Post some pics please!

What I would do with a co-worker like that is just agree with them. That way they have no reason to ever say anything back and it will usually just end right then. If you told someone that their Acura was just an overpriced Honda and that person flat out agreed with you, what could you possibly say back to them? Nothing with any significance at least.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So then, according to your co-worker's thinking, a Lexus is an overpriced Toyota, an Infinitis is an overpriced Nissan, a Buick is an overpriced...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, is it?
It is a Honda. That should mean it's extremely reliable and a relative value.

So is it overpriced? Name another four-door sedan with that speed and features at the price. (Don't mention that it lacks a lot of finishing touches in other similar-priced sedans - that savings had to come from somewhere! )
Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah Acura isn't overpriced, I'm sure Honda would love to overprice them like Lexus does, but they failed at marketing and the Acura name doesn't really carry any extra value on its own. Acuras are pretty much intended for people who are analytical about car buying but want lots of gadgets, so nerds basically. =P

A loaded TL is about $7000-8000 more than a loaded Accord (plus higher fuel/insurance costs), but it will hold its value better so you may come out the same in the long-term. And you're getting better gadgets, service, interior materials, stereo, build quality, warranty, etc. Plus the option of AWD.

Last edited by Eli; 03-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
This is simply jealousy

he/she just wishes they could drive that car but instead justifies it as "over priced"

just ignore it and move on to more important things

also Welcome!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Acura is the thinking man's car. Best resale value, top notch overall reliability, comfortable interior, gas paddles that don't "stick" and having to deal with elevated risk in killing yourself and a family, superb SH-AWD system, slick 6MT transmission in the TL, time tested Vtec engines, manageable insurance rates, and a unique exterior design to boot.

"It's just an overpriced Honda." So WTH is wrong???
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like sour grapes

Last time I checked the best Honda Accord is ~10hp less than the TL and does not have keyless operation, but still goes for about ~$30K. Regardless, the real difference is the service. Please remind him of that as you drive your loaner back to the office, while he enjoys the free popcorn in the the GM waiting room.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a new Bugatti Veyron on order, but then I realized it was an overpriced VW, so I cancelled my order and bought my overpriced Honda instead
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i think your fellow ziners may have just 'ed him up for you...lol
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
So, my question is, is the coworker driving a...

New Lacrosse = overpriced Opel/Malibu
Last generation Lacrosse = overpriced Lumina/Grand Prix
Lucerne = Overpriced last generation Bonneville
Enclave = Overpriced Traverse

If he's driving a Rendezvous, he probably didn't pay too much extra over its sibling, the Aztek. If someone calls my future TL ugly, I can always be thankful it isn't one of those.

If he plans to put in an order for the '11 Regal, I wouldn't push too hard on that one, though. If they bring the GS to production with awd, DI turbo 6MT like the show car, it might be a decent substitute for a TL SH-AWD at almost $10K less, and drop TSX off some people's shopping lists (especially those looking for 6MT with 50+ more hp and torque than TSX). If they keep it under 35K, I wouldn't call it an overpriced, rebadged Opel Insignia. The only thing that would give me pause is the reliability of the last generation Chevy Cobalt SS engine from which that DI turbo 4 is derived (although the pundits are saying the normally aspirated version in the latest Equinox is proving very refined and fuel efficient).
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
A guy driving a Buick is poking fun at your TL? That's really too funny. The guy has no sense of irony, obviously.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Keepin'it Real

Originally Posted by docboy
Acura is the thinking man's car. Best resale value, top notch overall reliability, comfortable interior, gas paddles that don't "stick" and having to deal with elevated risk in killing yourself and a family, superb SH-AWD system, slick 6MT transmission in the TL, time tested Vtec engines, manageable insurance rates, and a unique exterior design to boot.

"It's just an overpriced Honda." So WTH is wrong???
Well said.

Coming from an Acura TL owner,

YES!! The TL is an Honda. Overpriced, not really.

Luxury car?? Not quite.

One can argue that a Lexus is an overpriced Toyota. Yes it is, but only some models. The LS, GS and the LX, to me are luxury vehicles.

It is a thinking man's car. This why I bought one. It could be driven everyday and parked anywhere. The technology, amenities and daily livability is excellent.

Luxury cars = Bentley, RR, 7 Series BMW, S-Class Benz and S8 Audi.
Overpriced Honda's = Crosstour, Ridgeline CR-V EXL NAV ($34k for a CRV?)
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
9th Gear

IMHO...the coworker is jealous and can't afford a TL! Enjoy YOUR new car!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
IMO the only Acuras that should be considered overpriced Hondas are the TSX, RL, and the ZDX and i can explain why.

TSX- really should come with more hp standard. It is priced at a V6 Accord level but only has 200hp? wtf? it should at least come with the turbo 2.3 from the RDX. And if you go for the V6 TSX, you get dangerously close to the price of a base TL. So why get a TSX then?

RL- supposed to be Acuras flagship sedan but has no more rear leg room than the TL. Yes the seats are a little softer and its probably quieter at high speeds, but is it worth it? Why get an RL when you can just get a TL with 300hp and AWD all for thousands less?

ZDX- should have really been priced between the RDX and MDX, not between the MDX and the RL. Its like an MDX but is less practical and has 2 less seats, or should i say 5 less seats. I recently sat in one at the dealer and the rear seats were miserable. Shouldnt that mean it will be cheaper than the MDX? I dont get it.

The rest of the Acura lineup (TL, RDX, and MDX) does not really have a USDM Honda counterpart. You just cant compare the Accord to the TL, the CRV to the RDX, and the Pilot to the MDX. So it would not be fair to call those models overpriced Hondas.

Yes theres a hella lot of parts sharing between Honda and Acura but look at GM and Ford. Compare a Buick Enclave to a Chevy Traverse. Theyre literally exact copies of each other underneath all the chrome and what not. Same thing with the new Ford Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKS. Your coworker with the Buick aka Chevy has no argument. He represents a majority group in the US; the ignorant SOBs that dont take a second to look around and actually see whats happening around them.

All that said, i still love Acura. I have an 08 TSX and 03 TL-S now and recently returned an 07 RDX tech. And i plan to keep buying/leasing Acuras for years to come. I just wished Acura would change some things so they could steal more sales from BMW, Audi, and Mercedes.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Acura's have great residual values. The amount you pay monthly to LEASE depends on the difference between the total cost, and the end value of the lease.
In many cases you can drive the Acura, for the same, or close to the same monthly payments you'd be paying for the acura.

Meanwhile you get to enjoy the better performance, luxury, and quiet, spotier looks, and SH-AWD.

My father recently leased a Lexus RX350 for less, then Toyota wanted for a highlander. Go figure.

Or take the RDX. It is faster, more comortable, better AWD then the CR-V. Very similar lease payments. Why would anyone drive a CR-V instead of an RDX.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
IMO the only Acuras that should be considered overpriced Hondas are the TSX, RL, and the ZDX and i can explain why.

TSX- really should come with more hp standard. It is priced at a V6 Accord level but only has 200hp? wtf? it should at least come with the turbo 2.3 from the RDX. And if you go for the V6 TSX, you get dangerously close to the price of a base TL. So why get a TSX then?

RL- supposed to be Acuras flagship sedan but has no more rear leg room than the TL. Yes the seats are a little softer and its probably quieter at high speeds, but is it worth it? Why get an RL when you can just get a TL with 300hp and AWD all for thousands less?

ZDX- should have really been priced between the RDX and MDX, not between the MDX and the RL. Its like an MDX but is less practical and has 2 less seats, or should i say 5 less seats. I recently sat in one at the dealer and the rear seats were miserable. Shouldnt that mean it will be cheaper than the MDX? I dont get it.

The rest of the Acura lineup (TL, RDX, and MDX) does not really have a USDM Honda counterpart. You just cant compare the Accord to the TL, the CRV to the RDX, and the Pilot to the MDX. So it would not be fair to call those models overpriced Hondas.

Yes theres a hella lot of parts sharing between Honda and Acura but look at GM and Ford. Compare a Buick Enclave to a Chevy Traverse. Theyre literally exact copies of each other underneath all the chrome and what not. Same thing with the new Ford Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKS. Your coworker with the Buick aka Chevy has no argument. He represents a majority group in the US; the ignorant SOBs that dont take a second to look around and actually see whats happening around them.

All that said, i still love Acura. I have an 08 TSX and 03 TL-S now and recently returned an 07 RDX tech. And i plan to keep buying/leasing Acuras for years to come. I just wished Acura would change some things so they could steal more sales from BMW, Audi, and Mercedes.

Pretty much agree with all of your points here. Just like to add, though, in RL's defense, it does have more luxury touches than the TL such as wood accents and ventilated seats...but still terribly priced and underpowered compared to the competition. The ZDX is also a big question mark...it's got a ton of features and bold looks but practicality is almost nil. The Crosstour is better vehicle (even looks-wise to me) and a much better value. As for stealing sales away from BMW, Audi, and MB....not gonna happen. Acura's image in the marketplace is too well-known and established to change the minds of those who already love German luxury cars.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Yeah I think he's jealous he can't afford a luxury car. His Buick is late model and he got it free from a family friend that passed away a few years back.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I think that the most recent Buicks, the ones hitting the showrooms right now and based on Vauxhall/Opel designs, point to better times ahead for General Motors.

They did the right thing holding onto Vauxhall and Opel. They are responsible for the best things coming from GM right now.

They're not the ultimate at anything...but they're a very nice, reasonable alternative for many purchasers.

These are not the kinds of purchasers who'd generally be looking at Acura because of the perceived technological and performance orientations of the two different marques...but I think Buick is going to be doing better in the future than it has done in the recent past.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Pretty much agree with all of your points here. Just like to add, though, in RL's defense, it does have more luxury touches than the TL such as wood accents and ventilated seats...but still terribly priced and underpowered compared to the competition. The ZDX is also a big question mark...it's got a ton of features and bold looks but practicality is almost nil. The Crosstour is better vehicle (even looks-wise to me) and a much better value. As for stealing sales away from BMW, Audi, and MB....not gonna happen. Acura's image in the marketplace is too well-known and established to change the minds of those who already love German luxury cars.
No way the Cross Tour looks better than the ZDX, every comment I heard about the ZDX was pretty much positive. May not be the best practical but it is an attention getter. The Cross Tour looks out of place.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Acura is a slightly overpriced Honda.. what's the matter with that? You're buying more into the styling than anything else, it's luxury. You grab the attention of young women.. he grabs the attention of old women..
Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
where did i read that the more educated people buy the foreign cars?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Who cares....in the end the TL is an abortion of car design.

Who wants to drive ugly?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Who cares....in the end the TL is an abortion of car design.

Who wants to drive ugly?
LOL considering this came from 4G (assuming since almost every post is by someone who owns a 4G).
Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Interesting thread. First off, I like both Honda and Acura. When I first started shopping for a Japanese based car in late 2004, my first choice was the TSX, a car I still admire and respect. My second choice was a TL, as it offered a V6 with it's manual. Before inking the deal, however, I decided to walk over to the Honda store that was located nearby the Acura dealership.

Long story short, I left with an '05 Accord six speed coupe. Other than giving up a few creature comforts and the appeal of the Acura badge, I couldn't justify the additional $10 000.00 it would have cost me for the TL. Especially once realizing that underneath the bodywork they were essentially the same car.

Terry
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't really know what to say honestly. In some ways yes and in some ways no. I'd probably swap my RSX for an SI if it had a lot less miles. Only thing I see Acura that beats out Honda would be the AWD they offer in some cars. Front Wheel Drive is just a pain in the ass. If the new Accord came in RWD or AWD I'd be all over it.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Thank god he didn't make fun of the looks or we in the acura community would be in trouble.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Ask him how his badge-engineered pile of shit put together by lazy, incompetent UAW employees is holding up as the miles accrue.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
http://www.acura.com/tools/Competiti...27640&v1=27461

The TL has 9 more HP than an Accord (but weights 115 more), better navigation (using voice) and a better warranty for an extra $8,540. Most everything else is relativity the same except for looks IMO. An Accord EX-L V6 with leather is pretty nice inside. If I'm not mistaken an Accord has a better resale value over a TL also. Is it an over priced Accord, no... is it a better deal than an Accord, I don't see the advantages personally if your buying a new one. I'd look at a used TL over an Accord for the same price!

Base Price MSRP $38,835 $31,105
Comparably Equipped Price $39,645 $31,815 + DPI

Last edited by Bdog; 03-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I think it is a little over priced but I can see why now. I am not talking about 4G TL, because just ewwww. But when I was buying a 3G, accord was on the list as well (coupe tho) and I liked the TL better. I think it lookes nicer inside, and outside. Has a little more HP and yea, you are paying a little more for the name. but in the end it's worth it. And yea it's a honda, but it's nice looking. And in my engineering company, top engineers drive high end luxury cars and when they sit in my honda they have nothing bad to say about it. they all say, I can't believe this car is this nice, who cares it's a honda. One guy said he fucked up buying a 530 when he could have had a TL for less money.

Quick Reply: TL = overpriced Honda according to coworker