Thinking of getting LoJack...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Question Thinking of getting LoJack...

I haven't started driving my Integra on a daily basis since picking it up last month and one of the reasons is because I'm really scared it will get stolen and it currently does not have any security system on it except for a cheapo aftermarket keyless entry system.

I have three options:
  1. Putting in the OEM security system by Acura, but that won't do much IMO except slow the theives down which is still a benefit.
  2. intall LoJack to make it easier to find the vehicle if it's stolen since they also have they have an early detection option that alerts you if the car is thought to be stolen (http://www.lojack.com/car/pages/car-solutions.aspx)
  3. Someone on the board suggested putting in a fuel cutoff switch which I would like to do, but lack the knowledge on how to do it. Either way, I would like to do this no matter which of the other two routes I go with. Another level of security to make it even harder.
Have any of you ever had Lojack installed in your car? Have any of you actually had your car stolen and recoverd using Lojack? Is it worth it?

I don't know pricing on this as it is not stated on their site, anybody know how much a Lojack system runs approximately?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
The main LoJack system runs around $700 and the early warning addition is around $300 from what I remember (was offered it by the dealer when I bought my car, but I declined it).
Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,847 Likes on 2,586 Posts
How could you forget that it was I who suggested the fuel cut off switch

I dont know how much it would cost, but i would get it done to any in demand car I might own. It wont prevent it from thieves who use tow trucks, but I think that is a rare or extreme case.

Just not sure if LoJack is worth it. My folks had it put into their first Lexus many many years ago...but i dunno seems useless
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
On the Integra, you might try an ignition kill switch rather than a fuel cutoff switch- installation would be simpler since you'd only be tapping into one wire.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 AM
_

I find LoJack to be a waste. But if you're gonna get it anyways, get the early detection add-on too otherwise it's really gonna be a waste. If your car gets stolen and you only have the main system, you pretty much need to know the moment your car is stolen, otherwise it's too late.

Let's say, for example, you're at the movies. Movies usually run 1.5 - 2 hours on average. You're inside watching the movie. 2 hours later you come out to your car and notice it's gone. 2 hours is an eternity to car thieves. By the time you call and get LoJack activated, your car will be gone.... stripped, driven down to Tijuana, etc.

If you really want to protect the car, get yourself 2 boots from parking enforcement and put one on the front wheel and one on the back wheel.

Last edited by AZuser; 02-08-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:13 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Will Y.
On the Integra, you might try an ignition kill switch rather than a fuel cutoff switch- installation would be simpler since you'd only be tapping into one wire.

Or do both as a double precaution
Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Sorry Sarlacc, didn't mean to forget it was your suggestion, I won't make the mistake again.

As for the ignition kill switch, that's another great suggestion, and honestly, I have no problem with having multiple levels of protection, especially ones that a thief has no clue about unlike an alarm which is in many cases only a deterant and not a solution.

As for the LoJack, my thing about it is IF the car is ever possibly stolen and using that early alert system, if I'm alerted that it may be stolen, I can take action right away. That's the thing that really draws me to wanting to get LoJack in the first place. And for that reason I probably will.

As for the OEM security system, I spoke with someone at acuraoemparts.com and they said the OEM alarm system is discontinued and can no longer be ordered. However, I do know someone that is selling one, but the one he has is for a 97 integra, and I have a 98 so I need to do a little more homework to find out if that one will work with mine. If so I'll definitly be getting that because the added keyless entry, engine immobilizer and stuff would be handy to have.

Does anyone have any tips or resources to point me towards that show how to implement the addition of ignition kill switches and/or fuel cutoff switches? It doesn't have to be specifically for integras, it could just be general knowledge on the subject, but model specific is greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Basicaly you want to install a switch that will interupt the lead into the fuel pump.
Fuel pump gets no power...thus no go for fuel.
Hide switch somewhere under the hood.

Do a search...it's more of a DIY...mod.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Basicaly you want to install a switch that will interupt the lead into the fuel pump.
Fuel pump gets no power...thus no go for fuel.
Hide switch somewhere under the hood.
Got it, but why do you recommend under the hood? if they break into the car and they can't start it, they could pop the hood and easily find the switch. if I hid it somewhere where the normal person wouldn't look it may be wiser don't you think?

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Do a search...it's more of a DIY...mod.
This isn't something I'd have the dealership do, I'd definitely be adding these switches on my own.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Got it, but why do you recommend under the hood? if they break into the car and they can't start it, they could pop the hood and easily find the switch. if I hid it somewhere where the normal person wouldn't look it may be wiser don't you think?

This isn't something I'd have the dealership do, I'd definitely be adding these switches on my own.
Apparently you might not have to go to the pump source.

The PGM-FI main relay assembly is the gray box right above the hood release and should have [Mitsuba RZ-0159 Assembly, Main Relay] stamped on the top of it. If you cut the black wire into this connector and run it through a switch, when the switch is open the ground of the ECM relay coil circuit is open which prevents the ECM relay from engaging and sending power to both the fuel pump and the ECM.
There are two relays in the main relay assembly - one controls a power feed to the ECM and the other controls the power feed to the fuel pump. The ECM relay has to engage in order for the fuel pump relay to engage (the ECM relay feeds the fuel pump coil circuit).
I chose the coil side because it carries very little current. Use a good switch, and if you use the starter interrupt to open this circuit, consider its failure mode (will the car still start if the alarm breaks). Even if my alarm breaks, my car will still start as my circuit fails closed. This also means if the alarm power is killed, my disable circuit doesn't work. My alarm has back-up power, so the chances of this are lessened, and this wire is not only switched by my alarm but also utimately grounds through my alarm, so if the alarm box is ripped out the car won't start, and if the .....
There isn't a right or wrong way, just consider the options.
If you want you can also kill just the fuel pump at this same connector. Just do the same, but cut the GRN/BLU wire. This puts the switch in only the fuel pump coil circuit.
I don't stand by the above or endorse it. I just grabbed it from a forum.
Most fuel kill switches are pretty similar for most cars.
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...g+Common+Topic
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or resources to point me towards that show how to implement the addition of ignition kill switches and/or fuel cutoff switches? It doesn't have to be specifically for integras, it could just be general knowledge on the subject, but model specific is greatly appreciated
If you're getting a security system installed, many aftermarkets come with either a fuel cutoff or an ignition cutoff. IDK about the stock Acura system, though.

When I installed an ignition cutoff (w/o alarm) back in the '80s, I went down to the local auto parts store and bought one it had in the stereo and alarms department- the cutoff was a switch, resistor, wiring and instructions on tapping into the ignition switch wiring.
I ended up installing the switch onto the back side of the ash tray, where the switch wasn't particularly visible when the ashtray was open.

Last edited by Will Y.; 02-08-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Fuck that shit. If they want my car they can have it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the info Moog and Will, combining your info with info I'll pull from a Helms manual when I get it, will be a very good start.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I used a switch and mounted it under the shift boot and to the side. I knew where it was and was able to push it with the boot in place. It was hidden and out of sight.

My friend went as far as to put a timed relay in place so that if he was getting carjacked he could push it, get out of the car and run. It let the power stay on for about 20 seconds then it would trip and the car would stall giving him enough time to get to safety
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I used a switch and mounted it under the shift boot and to the side. I knew where it was and was able to push it with the boot in place. It was hidden and out of sight.

My friend went as far as to put a timed relay in place so that if he was getting carjacked he could push it, get out of the car and run. It let the power stay on for about 20 seconds then it would trip and the car would stall giving him enough time to get to safety
Get a bulletproof Mercedes and give the carjacker the finger through the window
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by charliemike
Fuck that shit. If they want my car they can have it.
If you've never owned a GS-R you'll never truly understand why Integra would owners go as far as they do to protect their cars. So shut the hell up!

My insurance will cover the car, I'm not worried about the monetary aspects of it being stolen. The GS-R was one of the nicest cars that Acura ever made IMO. Very simple, sporty and good looking. If anything happens to this one, I'm gonna flip! My '97 Integra was totalled in a hit-and-run and to this day I still miss that car.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

With all that extra money spent on the merc, I could by 5 integra's and have spares.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend Lojack w/early alert... My wife's 2004 Accord has the system. Her car was stolen from a hotel in Atlanta, GA while on a business trip, and was retrieved within a few hours.

Personally, it's worth it if you want to protect your investment.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
A switch and a timed relay are much cheaper
Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
The Third Ball

This thread was more about car theft then car jacking. How is it you always seem to manage to veer a topic off course lately.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Just got a response from LoJack, just wanted to share the information they gave me:

Thank you for your interest in LoJack. By considering a state of the art LoJack package for your vehicle, you have taken an important step in helping protect it. Prices range from $695 to $995 and unlike other companies that charge large monthly, annual, and recovery fees, there are never any additional fees with LoJack. Please review the following packages to find a solution that best suits your needs:

· LoJack Early Warning System (our most popular package):$995

Our Early Warning System is our most popular package combining our LoJack Stolen Recovery System with our quick responding Early Warning Notification System. This added layer of protection alerts you by phone, email, or text message if your vehicle has been moved without your authorization. Thus, you will get your car back quicker, often with less damage and a good chance of catching the criminals as well. The product is guaranteed against workmanship for the first two years of ownership and you may extend the warranty if you wish to do so.

· LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System: $695

Our entry level package uses a small hidden transceiver to send a signal to police which allows them to track and recover your stolen vehicle. With this system, you won’t know that your vehicle was stolen until you notice it is gone. However, once you do, you call the police to start your activation. The product is guaranteed against workmanship for the first two years of ownership and you may extend the warranty if you wish to do so.

· Extended Recovery Warranty: $99

Our Extended Recovery Warranty enhances your LoJack Recovery system or Early Warning Recovery System by extending your LoJack 24-hour Limited Recovery and product warranty for as long as you own your vehicle. Regularly priced at $149, you can save $50 by combining this warranty with your system purchase.

Remember, these are one time charges and there are no monthly or annual fees or contracts to sign. In addition, when you purchase your LoJack directly from the company we will install your system for no extra charge Monday through Friday at your residence or place of business. If you have any further questions or would like to schedule an installation, please contact me directly at the number below.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Back in a TL again.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#3 Someone on the board suggested putting in a fuel cutoff switch which I would like to do, but lack the knowledge on how to do it. Either way, I would like to do this no matter which of the other two routes I go with. Another level of security to make it even harder.

pm me if you want me to explain where and how to do this simple ass pissing on your self....
Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vetalik
pm me if you want me to explain where and how to do this simple ass pissing on your self....

I know it's an easy mod, just lookin for guidance.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 02-08-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
If you've never owned a GS-R you'll never truly understand why Integra would owners go as far as they do to protect their cars. So shut the hell up!

My insurance will cover the car, I'm not worried about the monetary aspects of it being stolen. The GS-R was one of the nicest cars that Acura ever made IMO. Very simple, sporty and good looking. If anything happens to this one, I'm gonna flip! My '97 Integra was totalled in a hit-and-run and to this day I still miss that car.
3rd gen Integras in general are huge targets.

ITRs are the worst. Some of them get stripped to the bare metal, no interior at all, rolling on steelies with 4-lug hubs, no spoiler, no front bumper, etc.

There are better options out there though. Don't know if its true or not (hell, it could be thieves trying to discourage owners) but LoJack doesn't work as intended all the time. By that I mean police refuse to track your car despite having the GPS tracking, or shady shops disabling the system remotely and stealing your car without you knowing. Just rumors though, so I don't know for sure. I've heard of getting a cheapo Nextel phone with a tracking system (made to keep track of your kids) and taping it inside the dash or somewhere hidden. Its cheaper at least.

I hate thieves... if I caught one trying to get into my car I would beat them within an inch of their life with a breaker bar.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
_

.........· LoJack Early Warning System (our most popular package):$995

Our Early Warning System is our most popular package combining our LoJack Stolen Recovery System with our quick responding Early Warning Notification System. This added layer of protection alerts you by phone, email, or text message if your vehicle has been moved without your authorization. Thus, you will get your car back quicker, often with less damage and a good chance of catching the criminals as well. The product is guaranteed against workmanship for the first two years of ownership and you may extend the warranty if you wish to do so........
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

^^^^ I've seen so many pics of integras that were stolen and stripped. it's very sad. And Acura didn't do anything as far as I know to improve security on these cars until they came out with the RSX.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZuser
nice catch.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can just pull the fuel pump breaker every time you park. ( know someone who attached a ring on it so he can easily putt it every time and put it back in.