Temporary Tags

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
† equals ☺

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Tags

About four weeks ago I was walking to my car, which I parked a street away from school to avoid all the bad drivers, when my friend called me over. Lo and behold, a parking ticket citing expired year tags on the license, 40 dollar fine.

Now 40 dollars isn't a WHOLE lot, but nonetheless I was outraged. I bought the car used from a dealer, they put the sticker on the front windshield, registration was paid on the spot. Yet the officer who cited me didn't even have the courtesy to check for temporary tags. I drove up the city hall, filed my administrative review (attached with an encyclopedia of evidence) and was on my way.

Fast forward to today, I'm parked on the same street, about 50 feet from where I parked last time, and once again a nice pink parking ticket. Same officer. Violation? Expired tags. WTF? Again I drive up to city hall, they pull up my file and tell me my last violation was dismissed, so I ask why I was cited again. They point me to the Police office; long story short, they don't admit they were wrong but they "dismissed it this time". It's not my fault the DMV doesn't work faster to issue registration and titles. Ironically when I came home to check the mail, my 2009 sticker was inside .

So correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all newly purchased cars, new or used, come with a 60 day temporary registration? Just because I don't have new car plates doesn't mean the officer can't take two extra seconds to peek over to the passenger windshield. Hell, he took the time to stand at the drivers side to copy down the VIN.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by mistuh_fu
About four weeks ago I was walking to my car, which I parked a street away from school to avoid all the bad drivers, when my friend called me over. Lo and behold, a parking ticket citing expired year tags on the license, 40 dollar fine.

Now 40 dollars isn't a WHOLE lot, but nonetheless I was outraged. I bought the car used from a dealer, they put the sticker on the front windshield, registration was paid on the spot. Yet the officer who cited me didn't even have the courtesy to check for temporary tags. I drove up the city hall, filed my administrative review (attached with an encyclopedia of evidence) and was on my way.

Fast forward to today, I'm parked on the same street, about 50 feet from where I parked last time, and once again a nice pink parking ticket. Same officer. Violation? Expired tags. WTF? Again I drive up to city hall, they pull up my file and tell me my last violation was dismissed, so I ask why I was cited again. They point me to the Police office; long story short, they don't admit they were wrong but they "dismissed it this time". It's not my fault the DMV doesn't work faster to issue registration and titles. Ironically when I came home to check the mail, my 2009 sticker was inside .

So correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all newly purchased cars, new or used, come with a 60 day temporary registration? Just because I don't have new car plates doesn't mean the officer can't take two extra seconds to peek over to the passenger windshield. Hell, he took the time to stand at the drivers side to copy down the VIN.
You are wrong. It varies by state. In MA there is no such thing as a temporary tag, you have to get new plates the day you buy your car, or else.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
some states give you only 30 days.....I usually gather up all the paperwork and get the plates my self the same day I buy the car.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Oregon issues two temporary tags.

One is a 90-day temporary permit while waiting for license plates from a dealer. The other is a 30-day trip permit which is for those buying cars from Oregon who live out of state. It is meant to be used to get out of Oregon and back to your home state only.