Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Danil ACE
Gonna suck. The personalities of Clarkson/Hammond/Mays make Topgear great. Australian and Russian versions of Top Gear suck, so will the US version.
couldn't agree more
topgear would suck without clarkson... he brings out the worst/best in everyone and makes me
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'm not ready to call this a disaster.

It'll be different to a degree and I'm fine with that.

It's this or Motorweek. I'd rather they took a chance on this.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It's pretty unfair... having the Top Gear name will mean it will have increased interest, but also that people will compare it to the British Top Gear show as a standard. Seeing as how that show is one of my favorites of all time, the American version will probably pale in comparison, but I'd still be interested in it.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will suck but at least they got the short guy right (Tanner). At least the real Top Gear can be un-PC... the American version will be lame and tame.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much like the American version of Iron Chef is a watered-down, less interesting copy of the original Japanese show, the American Top Gear will be a watered-down, less interesting copy of the British Top Gear. I doubt I'll bother to watch a single episode.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
It will suck but at least they got the short guy right (Tanner). At least the real Top Gear can be un-PC... the American version will be lame and tame.
^ am i the only one who doesn't like tanner foust?
i've seen his show a couple time on speed channel or whatever, "supercars exposed"
and there is just something about him that i cannot stand, it's the way he talks or something... i dunno

they should have named the show something else, as pointed out, it's just gonna be compared to the first top gear, which i don't know how it could come close
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Disinformation Terminator

You see, the reason it will never be anywhere as good as the British version is that our network yobbos won't let them be as irreverent as the Top Gear guys.

I mean, can you see any of the proposed U.S. cast talking like this about the Mercedes SL63 AMG?

Clarkson from Times Online:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3945109.ece

Next, there was the woeful choice of colours for both the interior and the exterior. When you are spending £100,000 on a car, the dealer should be able to make the seats from his wife’s pubic hair if that’s what the customer wants. But no. You get more choice of colour and materials in a Turkish prison.

Then there was the laughable “linguatronic” system. In theory you could speak instructions and the car would obey. In practice it never had a clue what you were on about. So when you asked the sat nav to set a course for home, it would tune the radio to some shouty man on Fox FM. And when you asked it to ring the office, it would call up pretty well everyone but.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch14
i've seen his show a couple time on speed channel or whatever, "supercars exposed"
and there is just something about him that i cannot stand, it's the way he talks or something... i dunno

they should have named the show something else, as pointed out, it's just gonna be compared to the first top gear, which i don't know how it could come close
I'm with you on that, he reminds me of Drew Carey hosting the Price is Right, only not quite as bad. Something about him is just not all the way there
Old 04-23-2010, 02:10 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Tanner is annoying.

Originally Posted by mitch14

Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm still gonna watch in!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
protest... give us the original.. im glad i have BBC America on FIOS... even though it is delayed...
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this show may have some potential, especially since the British Top Gear is becoming increasingly boring. They try too hard to be funny now and act like idiots on purpose.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
In an exclusive interview with John Hesling, executive producer of the recently-announced-as-heading-to-the-History-Channel motoring show Top Gear USA, we learned this new American show plans on meeting or exceeding the bar set by the UK original. Wait, there's more.

This is the third attempt to copy the British version of Top Gear for an American audience. The first was for the Discovery Channel and the most recent try was the Adam Carolla-helmed pilot, a show NBC axed before it could air. The History Channel (now just "History"), is the third to try. The network formerly known for World War II documentaries has committed to ten episodes starring racer Tanner Foust, comedian Adam Ferrera, and NASCAR "analyst" Rutledge Wood.

Despite the past two failures, Executive Producer John Hesling thinks the U.S. version will match the high standard set by the original and provided these as-of-yet unreleased details before getting on a plane for more shooting of the show.

10.) They're Keeping Star In A Reasonably Priced Car

Top Gear USA: What To ExpectNo word yet on what the car will be, but the team isn't discouraged by the crappy Jay Leno version so they plan to put stars to the test around a track. It won't be a truly awful car like a Chrysler Sebring, but "something dull like a Kia Rio."

9.) The Show Will Be A Full Hour

History will give Top Gear USA a full hour by cable standards, so 44 minutes with commercials.

8.) It'll Look Just Like The British Show

"There's no sense in doing it if the production value isn't there." Hesling says. This means overexposed cinematography, splashy camerawork and quick cuts.

Does this mean a comparable budget to the expensive UK Top Gear? Hesling says "Yes," then qualifying that with "We wanted to get enough money to absolutely match the cinematic caliber of the UK version."

7.) Rutledge Wood Owns A Diesel Rabbit Pickup

Top Gear USA: What To ExpectThe biggest concern about the cast is Wood, who is mostly unknown to anyone who hasn't watched him interview Dale Jr. about jeans. We've learned he's owned 44 cars and has a lawn strewn with donors. He's also in love with his diesel VW Rabbit Pickup, which is a rare diesel-powered El Camino. Of course, he also just purchased a Honda Odyssey because of his new kid and "thought it was the best car he's ever driven."

6.) They Won't Pretend To Like Cars

It's hard to make fun of automakers when you rely on their money, something a show on BBC doesn't have to worry about. Top Gear USA is going to have advertisers, but they're promising it won't be brought to you by a car company.

"Not to disrespect other car shows, but they're fundamentally comprised," says Hesling. "They have to say the Prius 'handles like a NASCAR,' but Top Gear couldn't be like that... we will be absolutely and brutally honest. That's what Top Gear is."

5.) No One Can Fill Jeremy Clarkson's Shoes

Top Gear USA: What To ExpectTop Gear is helmed by one of the biggest personalities in Europe and the Exec Producer made sure we understood ain't none of these guys is Jeremy Clarkson. Hesling described Clarkson as "A force of nature" and reminded us "he's one of the most famous people in England."

So what can we expect from the hosts?

Ferrara: Works on cars with his dad, skeptical but not cynical, likes cars from the 1970s.
Foust: Doesn't care if a car looks like "an egg cart" as long as it handles well.
Wood: Enamored with shiny objects, boyish enthusiasm, massive head.

4.) The American Stig Won't Be The Stig's Fat American Cousin

Hesling wouldn't confirm or deny the existence of an American Stig, but then went on to assure us the American Stig won't be the big fat American Stig.

3.) Something Big Is Happening In The Mountains

Top Gear USA: What To ExpectShooting started on Monday and continues today, with the first major feature happening in the mountains around Monmouth, Oregon. No details but anyone in the area with a cameraphone should keep vigilant for one of these three men.

2.) Expect It As Late As This December

The press release said "Fall" but Hesling let slip it could debut as late as November or December.

1.) It'll Carry Over The Exact Same Format

Top Gear USA: What To Expect"We'll be doing star in a car, we'll be doing the power tests, car reviews, action films, and the studio element. It's a format that's the jewel in the crown of the BBC so we'll be doing it exactly like the British version. It's exactly the same format."
http://jalopnik.com/5521968/top-gear...yline=true&s=i
Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Not sure how it can be the same format as the original if it is 15 minutes shorter.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Not sure how it can be the same format as the original if it is 15 minutes shorter.
There will probably be two bits plus the SIARPC instead of three or so like the BBC version? Maybe?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I'll wait till it comes out before I comment on it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Still don't see point of making American version. Just bring the Brit version over ON TIME. I lived in England for four years and I totally understand and appreciate British humor and I keep up with many of their stars. Show is totally relevant for me and it's fun.

I'll probably watch this anyway. If it actually happens, and turns out good.....well, great! If not....then dangit, just bring the Brit version over.

They are right, no one can replace Jeremy, a consummate showman.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Top gear america fail. Is it so hard for them to bring the original here?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks for the update.

Still don't see point of making American version. Just bring the Brit version over ON TIME. I lived in England for four years and I totally understand and appreciate British humor and I keep up with many of their stars. Show is totally relevant for me and it's fun.

I'll probably watch this anyway. If it actually happens, and turns out good.....well, great! If not....then dangit, just bring the Brit version over.

They are right, no one can replace Jeremy, a consummate showman.
I don't see any reason this has to be an either/or ... Shame on the BBC.

As far as British humor goes, there are certainly a lot of Americans that get it ... But it seems like far more don't get it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I'm not hopeful. For as much as I find Adam Carolla annoying, Ferrara (what's with comedians and car-esque names?) is no Carolla. Infinitely more annoying.

And I'd have to say that TG on BBCA is just as annoying. You can't appreciate the show until you've seen it unedited. Clips missing, music changed (and their audio selections are simply brilliant - found a bunch of new music there), commercials. Do yourself a favor and download them. I'd gladly pay for them if they'd give me the option.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
^^^I agree. I have every single episode on my computer (all 70 gigs worth!)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
And I'd have to say that TG on BBCA is just as annoying. You can't appreciate the show until you've seen it unedited.
Agree 100%. I guess that BBC America figures that Americans are fat, thin-skinned folks who are easily offended, so they edit. OK, they may be right, sometimes.

I say, bring it over unedited and we'll be just fine.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 PM

I don't quite get their announcer choices. Foust is meh at best and not very entertaining to listen to, Ferrara is not a car guy like Corolla, and Wood
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM

Here's a little about them....

As we reported first earlier this year, Top Gear USA, the twice aborted attempt at colonization by the famous BBC franchise, will hit the history channel this fall. Here are the three hosts. Update!

The beloved original Top Gear airs on the BBC2 in Britain with spin-offs in both Australia and Russia, but attempts to bring it to the United States have twice failed. Most recently, NBC announced it was bringing the show to network television and even shot a pilot before cutting the show, reportedly fearful over the failure of Knight Rider.

The pilot starred funnyman Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Strommer and was apparently so bad it's never been released. Both Carolla and Strommer were dropped for this most recent version, replacing them with comedian Adam Ferrera and mostly unknown SPEED commentator Rutledge Wood.

History committed to ten episodes of the show debuting sometime this fall with production already in motion. A spokeperson for BBC Worldwide Productions, who is co-producing the show, said "Together we have worked to tailor the format for the American audience, while staying true to the original dynamic that fans across the world have come to love."

To understand what they've done to "tailor" it to an American audience it's best to look at the two new hosts: one of them is known almost entirely for NASCAR coverage and the other has almost no experience with cars. Detailed bios of the hosts below.

Who Is Rutledge Wood?

It looks like Rutledge Wood is going to be the funny man on Top Gear USA as he's best known for crashing SPEED's NASCAR pre-race show, often reporting from the beer-swilling infield and pulling pranks on drivers. Despite the NASCAR connection, Rutledge has some car guy cred, owning, among others, a 1953 Plymouth Suburban and a 1970 Datsun 240Z. He keeps both on the road himself, often diving for parts in local junkyards. It's a promising start, at least.

Rutledge was born in rust-free Arizona, but emigrated to moonshine-friendly Peachtree, GA to attend the University of Georgia. After graduating from there he went to work for Country Music Television and then jumped onto hosting a daily talk show for Clear Channel. Eventually he hooked up with SPEED for the "Need for SPEED Road Tour," which helped move him into the position of an on-air personality.

Who Is Adam Ferrara?

lAdam Ferrara has something of a personality disorder when it comes to television experience. He plays Chief "Needles" Nelson, alongside Denis Leary in FX's "Rescue Me," a drama about New York City firefighters, but is also known for his successful standup comedy career, including a Comedy Central special, "Funny As Hell!" He also had a roll in "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" playing Sergeant Howard.

But is he a car guy? With Adam Corolla as the comedian host of the last attempt at Top Gear USA it was at least abundantly clear he got cars. Here's what we know: he posted shots of himself posing with cars at the recent New York Auto Show on his twitter feed. He also told Top Gear that the Pagani Zonda F is his favorite car, but we're hopeful that that was just an automatic response to a lame question and that his real automotive taste is much more interesting.

Who Is Tanner Foust?

We've been through this drill before because Foust has been attached to host this show from the beginning. His best asset is his right foot. Foust has had most of his professional driving success as someone who can control a car at its limit, and then push it even further.

That's what he does as a stunt driver, hooning on the sets of productions such as The Bourne Ultimatum, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, and The Dukes of Hazard, as well as on various television shows and commercials. He also won a gold medal at the 2007 X-Games Rally and a championship in the 2007 Formula Drift series. He's currently competing in the series with a RWD Scion tC.

More recently, Foust co-hosts (or co-hosted?) SPEED's SuperCars Exposed, a program all about fast cars. We last saw him at the Texas Mile racing Paul Tracy in a heavily modified Mustang. While there he hinted he'd like to see how fast he could get our Lincoln MKT press car to go, so there's no doubt he's a bit nuts in way any Top Gear host should be.

UPDATE 2 If you want to get a sense of Rutledge Wood's on-air persona here's him trying to eat three pounds of chili cheese fries and a 22-inch hot dog for his segment "Rutledge At Large."
http://jalopnik.com/5521026/top-gear...istory-channel
Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
TG USA caught filming in L.A. on Mullholland --> http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/28/t...n-mullholland/

We understand if you don't believe that the History Channel has adopted Top Gear America. After all, you've been burnt before. But according to the keen-eyed crew from Kilometer Magazine, filming has already begun. During the U.S. launch of the new Jaguar XJ, the new cast of Top Gear America was spotted filming on none other than California's infamous Mulholland Drive.

What were they doing? From the looks of things, Tanner Foust was doing what he does best by laying down lots and lots of smoky burnouts under the baleful glare of the CHP. Though judging by the cars spotted on the set, we may be looking at a good old fashioned sports-car comparison when the show finally hits cable. Flip through KM's pictures, and you'll spot cars like the Porsche Carrera 4S, Hyundai Genesis Coupe and the Ford Mustang.

We have to wonder whether this was one big slip up or a planned leak. Having a parade of auto journos cruise by just as Foust opens up for his monologue is either the worst luck in the history of television or one very clever PR stunt. Either way, there are a boatload of photos for you to speculate over as a result. Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Just bring over top gear unedited. It will be a much larger hit than this could ever be.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I missed it, and i apologize if I did, but is there an air date?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 PM

This fall....no official date yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Top Gear USA Pits Viper Against Cobra... Attack Helicopter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YgrR...layer_embedded

We first caught Top Gear USA shooting Hyundais in California. Now they've been spotted in Georgia filming a Dodge Viper trying to outrun a Cobra... attack helicopter. Maybe there's hope for Top Gear USA after all.

In our exclusive interview with the show's executive producer he told us the "action film" segments from the British Top Gear will be a big part of the made-in-the-USA version. That explains whyTop Gear USA was spotted in Georgia filming at the Griffin Spalding County Airport yesterday with hosts Tanner Foust, Rutledge Wood, two Vipers and a Cobra attack helicopter.

The video and photos clearly show Foust and Rutledge racing around the track at high speed as the AH-1 Marine Cobra gunship attempts to keep up with them. No clue who wins here, but notice what's in the background of the last shot.
pics here:

http://jalopnik.com/5531514/top-gear...obra/gallery/1
Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^

I was about to post this. It appears really cool. OK, maybe I'll give TGUSA a chance. Maybe.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Yep, it sounds like they are really trying to follow BBC Top Gear format. My biggest concern still remains the hosts. I hope they don't blow it.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
The hosts make the show, Top Gear is great because of the hosts.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
So who was in the background of the last shot???
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM

^ Not who, but what......

Viper ACR
Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Update! Trailer!

There is a trailer for Top Gear America. Doesn't look so bad but probably nothing close to the top gear we love. Looks like they are going on the basis as the regular top gear, testing cars, challenges, I think celebrities also?

Here's the link for the trailer

http://jalopnik.com/5606884/top-gear...-first-trailer

This will probably be the best car show made in America, haven't watched many but there were always reasons for that.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
they need someone really funny for the third host, if you ask me.

have you guys seen the other shows tanner faust has been on? speed channel...

he looks like hammond but his personality is more may... he has good driving skills but lets just say when i need to cure my insomnia i just wait for him to start talking about the car thats on his show...

personally i would rather have bbc air topgear unedited, simucast and show the full season... just my 2 cents, if they had adam corolla it would balance out tanner's straight lacedness... if the topgear original 3 come and join up for the half of the first season and make occasional appearances i think the show will take off...
Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
That trailer is horrible and Tanner is annoying. The cast should have been...

1. Jay Leno - he is a true car guy and funny and he could have supplied cars for segments.

2. Jason Britton - He's kind of a car guy, would be great for stunts and has a good screen presences.

3. Tanner Foust - He can stay because of his driving experience and he is a car guy, but with the above cast he will be a little less annoying.

I still wish the show the best of luck.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Well it will give us something to watch till top gear airs again in probably october.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I hope the show is what they promised. However, I love the British sense of humor and I think it's safe to say that will be missing.

Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread