Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:32 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
When Top Gear first started, it was all about the cars.
Around the 6 - 7 year, it was about the 3 comedians and the cars 2nd.
Top Gear should stick the theme around the cars instead of replacing Jeremy, Richard and May. The good hosts will come in time.

Originally Posted by ttribe
+1. Also, Eddie Jordan has to go. He's not funny. He's not informative. He's not even interesting. He's just annoying.

And, I think I had a Clarkson-style "crisis" during the segment on the Vulcan. That SOUND!!!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Multiple media outlets reporting LeBlanc is threatening to leave if Chris Evans isn't fired.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Why/ok
Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Last episode was best so far. That Tesla looks cool.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Why/ok
Apparently he's a complete ass on set. An Executive Producer left citing the similar things regarding Evans' behavior.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Matt LeBlanc is 'planning to quit Top Gear if co-host Chris Evans does not go first'

You gotta agree with MATT on this...
Old 06-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Damn. That 2.3 was fairly early on in its life, & in the 2nd season when James first came on, but the show was still hovering around 3.5 million for the first 2 seasons.

Looks like Evans' first 3 episodes has done its damage for this season if the viewership is still declining.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i finally watched the new top gear and started with episode 4.

not bad i guess.

then agian i havent watched any top gear since 2012 so

Old 06-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
I was in shock seeing Top Gear trending on Facebook...

I agree with Matt, if Evens is an a**, let him go...

I'm now an even bigger fan of Matt LeBlanc for it!!!

The star needs to respect and appreciate the crew, they're the ones mainly doing the work...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 06-26-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Finger to keypad error...
Old 06-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
nails are getting ready to be put in coffin
Old 06-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Just read an article saying that TGUSA was supposedly cancelled
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
Just read an article saying that TGUSA was supposedly cancelled
I wonder if it was due to low viewer numbers. Wonder what those viewer numbers were.

Netflix should pick it up.

Top Gear USA Cancelled - Top Gear on History Last Episode

Top Gear USA Has Been Cancelled

In a post on Facebook, Rutledge Wood announced that Tuesday's episode is the last that was filmed for History Channel.​

Top Gear USA, the History Channel's version of the long-running BBC automotive show, has been cancelled. Co-host Rutledge Wood announced in posts on Facebook and Instagram on Sunday night that the episode set to run on June 28th will be the last to air on the History Channel.
I'm very sad to say, but Tuesday night's #TopGear on @History is the last TG US that we have shot for you. I'm not saying Top Gear USA is done, but it's done for the immediate future on @History .

I remember the day that I got the phone call to ask if I'd be interested in talking to one of the producers about possibly being one of the hosts of the US's version of the world's most iconic car show. It's been an amazing ride for sure, and although I don't think the show is done, it appears that it's done with our friends at History, and we're incredibly grateful for being a part of the A&E Networks family.

I have had so much fun with Tanner and Adam, they really are like brothers to me. We've traveled this amazing country and to some of the coolest places on earth together, and even in the hardest moments, it's been a total dream come true.

The three of us will stick together and hope to bring you much more Top Gear USA, albeit it somewhere else it appears.

To the FANS- we cannot say enough how much we truly appreciate each and every one of you. You have always been there for us in great numbers, and we really do love you all. You are the reason shows like ours exist, and you're also the reason we've been so lucky to do this show for so long together. We never dreamed how many families would sit and watch our show and laugh together. We never knew how many couples would sit and watch three goofballs go out and try to make each other laugh. And yet, you all watched...and you told other people and shared in the joy.

To everyone who worked on TGUS- thank you. For everything. You're our family and you're the reason we got to do this for so many years together.

So here's a toast to all of you out there. I hope you'll watch Tuesday night and enjoy the last show we made for you. We took a trip of a lifetime down to Cuba and drove classic American cars from the 50's down there, and I can tell you it's one of the coolest things we have ever done together. Cheers and lots of love, Rutledge
Top Gear USA had an uphill battle when it first hit the air. The show had to compete against the years-long popularity of the original BBC version starring Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. In the first season, the US version didn't have the polished production and unfakeable charm of the long-running British hosting trio.

But US hosts Rutledge Wood, Adam Ferrara, and Tanner Foust thankfully stuck with it. And as the trio worked together, they defined a Top Gear that could stand on its own, with enough unique features and local flavor to distinguish it from the British show it was named and modeled after.

And as BBC Top Gear imploded in the wake of Clarkson's firing, the History Channel version offered US viewers a distinct and sincerely enjoyable alternative.

Of course, having a US variant of the show only became more important when the BBC put the original Top Gear in for a full post-Clarkson revamp. While the BBC's new six-member Top Gear team tries to figure each other out, having Wood, Ferrara and Foust as the well-oiled US team was welcome and refreshing.

It's unclear what happens next. As Wood points out in his Facebook post, it seems like the History network has severed its ties with the program. Perhaps a different network, either on cable TV or online streaming, is interested in continuing with the show. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Need to give TG USA another chance.

Actually I need to catch up on general with both TG shows.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
That's too bad about TG-USA; they'd finally started to get good chemistry among the three hosts.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
That's too bad about TG-USA; they'd finally started to get good chemistry among the three hosts.
Agreed, it's gotten dramatically better than the first couple seasons when they were trying to emulate TGUK.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM
_

I've said that it's better to have a decent to pretty-good car show vs no car show. But people didn't want to watch/support this show because it wasn't as good as (the Clarkson-Hammond-May version of) Top Gear. Now we get nothing.

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

In defense, the problems the US show ran into was them trying to replicate the UK show. Once they started doing their own thing, it really took off.

The hard fact is that May, Hammond, & Clarkson became Top Gear after decade together and that's why a lot of people ended up continuing to watch it. This re-boot or whatever still has the unique challenges, highly desirable cars, & even same cinematography-style with great shots & music (actually, I've felt the new show does a lot of cuts during segments). It's the hosts that can't carry it, and part of the problem is far too many of them. Harris & Rory have already done actual review segments whilst Sabine is Stig's hot German cousin, & Eddie is just used for comedic relief. Evans', as someone pointed out perfectly, is just a brochure-reader. I have no desire to go back & actually watch his segments, but reflecting on what I remember, he doesn't seem to actually present actual pros & cons like Rory & Chris can.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Oh man, you guys beat me to the TGUS news. I posted in the TGUS thread. It's too bad really, I enjoyed TGUS from the start and it only got better.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Null and proud of it

I've known for a while TGUSA came and went, read an article from over a year ago stating it was cancelled... But the shows been excellent this year, I nearly prefer over the UK Top Gear...

That being said, I just don't think it's dead, maybe just a bad break up with the History Channel, like it belongs there...

Better off selling the show to MSNBC to air alongside Jay Leno's Garage, then they could make it a whole-night event, or go to Netflix...

That, or merge it with UK Top Gear and finally get rid of Evens... But that kinda ruins the whole "British" thing...
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Saw the new episode last night. It seems Chris Harris really gets it.... Matt is decent. Chris Evans is still annoying.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Saw the new episode last night. It seems Chris Harris really gets it.... Matt is decent. Chris Evans is still annoying.
Every episode convinces me more than the previous that Matt, Harris, and Sabine should be the every day crew for the show. It would be so much more watchable.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 PM
_

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Every episode convinces me more than the previous that Matt, Harris, and Sabine should be the every day crew for the show. It would be so much more watchable.
And they could save costs by using a cardboard cut-out of Sabine for the in-studio parts.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

i say Evans is gone after this season.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I was in shock seeing Top Gear trending on Facebook...

I agree with Matt, if Evens is an a**, let him go...

I'm now an even bigger fan of Matt LeBlanc for it!!!

The star needs to respect and appreciate the crew, they're the ones mainly doing the work...
Really, this show needs to be rebranded as "Top Drama". Wow.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

or "The View"

or they should make it a reality tv show. The Next Top Gear Host
Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
or "The View"

or they should make it a reality tv show. The Next Top Gear Host
So, you're saying they should hire Bahbwa Waltahs.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

sure. She can host the Grandma could drift segment.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
KaMLuNg (06-29-2016), Mizouse (06-28-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i watched episode 1 on demand yesterday... or rather i started to watch episode 1... i turned it off after it got to the SIARPC segment... yea Evans is annoying... he is trying to hard and you can see it in the studio audiences face as well...
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
It gets better & has improved slowly as the season has progressed.
Getting Harris & Reid more screen time & less of Evans seems to help.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

^ it is pretty noticeable and obvious that they are reducing Evans' time

I guess this is the beginning of the end for him.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 AM
_

Top Gear host Evans facing 'crisis talks' with BBC entertainment boss - Autoblog

Top Gear host Evans facing 'crisis talks' with BBC entertainment boss

Kate Phillips wants to rein in Evans' allegedly diva-like behavior and force him to release some creative control.

Chris Evans has a new boss, and it sounds like she's not too tolerant of the Top Gear host's allegedly diva-like behavior. Of course, this is a report from The Sun, essentially a gossip tabloid. But considering the numerous reports of behind-the-scenes trouble, we aren't recommending much salt with this story.

The BBC's new entertainment boss, Kate Phillips is going to have a sit down with Evans later this month to discuss his alleged tantrums. – the tabloid is calling it "crisis talks". Pushing the meeting back to the end of July gives the Beeb ammunition in the form of the worldwide viewing figures for Top Gear's most recent run. Phillips will reportedly draw up a plan to manage Evans' behavior and force him to release some creative control over the show, or risk losing the hosting gig on Top Gear's 24th season (or series, if you prefer British English).

If Evans gets the sack, The Sun claims the BBC sees Matt LeBlanc as the show's future. An unnamed source says the other hosts – Rory Reid, Chris Harris, Sabine Schmitz, and Eddie Jordan – would fall in with LeBlanc for an ensemble, rather than the Chris Evans-and-everyone-else format displayed earlier this season.

"Chris has annoyed a lot of the crew with his behavior and by being a control freak," the source claims. "He's now going to be told there will be changes and if he doesn't like it then he should go. Matt is more well-known and popular with audiences, so Chris will take a back seat like he did towards the end of the series."

For fans, Phillips' lordship over Top Gear is a good thing. According to the source, she was the driving force in bringing the celebrity ballroom dancing show Strictly Come Dancing to the US as the hugely successful Dancing With The Stars. That doesn't mean we'll see hosts doing the foxtrot with the guest of the week, but it does mean that the show has a steward that The Sun's source claims "knows what makes shows successful around the world." Sounds like just what Top Gear needs.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...on-_-506778840

Final warning Chris Evans will be told to drop the tantrums in crisis talks with the Beeb’s new big boss… or face being kicked to the kerb

Motormouth DJ will be ordered to rein his behaviour in if he has any hope of returning for a second series

30th June 2016, 9:47 pm

TOP GEAR host CHRIS EVANS is heading for the biggest telling-off of his career.

The motormouth DJ has been summoned for crisis talks with the Beeb’s new entertainment boss after a string of complaints about his behaviour on set.

Kate Phillips will tell Evans to drop the tantrums and allow others to have some creative control, otherwise he is getting kicked to the kerb.

She will demand he stick to a plan drawn up to rein him in if he has any hope of returning for a second series.

Insiders have revealed Chris’s diva act is severely testing the patience of BBC execs, who see co-host MATT LeBLANC as the future of the show should Evans not change.

A Top Gear source said: “Chris has annoyed a lot of the crew with his behaviour and by being a control freak.

“He’s now going to be told there will be changes and if he doesn’t like it then he should go.

“Kate’s background at the BBC is taking Strictly to the US and she knows what makes shows successful around the world.

“Matt is more well-known and popular with audiences, so Chris will take a back seat like he did towards the end of the series.

"The other presenters will have a more prominent role and it will be seen as an ensemble rather than Chris and his team.”

The crisis talks are planned for later this month after the final episode of the six-show run airs on BBC2 on Sunday — and once worldwide viewing figures can be analysed.

It has already recorded its lowest-ever ratings under the revamp following JEREMY CLARKSON’s sacking last year.

Entertainment chief Kate is now spearheading transatlantic negotiations with Episodes and Friends star Matt, whose contract expired last week, to return for two more series.

Earlier this week I revealed how the corporation has already advertised internally for a series producer to wrestle back editorial control from Evans.

Beeb chiefs feel the programme was left “rudderless” when executive producer Lisa Clark quit in December, after just five months in the job, having clashed badly with Radio 2 breakfast show Chris.

However, they are publicly claiming that the new role reflects “greater ambitions”.

Their first ambition should be to win back fed-up viewers.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

yup. We saw it coming.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
And he's gone.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/its...quit-top-gear/

After weeks of poor critical reception from viewers and rumours of co-star Matt LeBlanc threatening to quit, Chris Evans has announced that he is to step down from his role as host of Top Gear. Announcing the news on Twitter, Evans said the he: “Gave it my best shot but sometimes that’s not enough.”

From reaction in mainstream media to our own opinion polls, it’s clear that Evans was the least liked aspect of Top Gear for much of the show’s audience. There had also been numerous newspaper reports of Evans being difficult to work with behind the scenes, claims he branded as “Mad and made up,” just before the series started.

In a statement, BBC Studios Director, BBC Studios Mark Linsey said: “Chris is stepping down from his duties on Top Gear. He says he gave it his best shot doing everything he could to make the show a success. He firmly believes that the right people remain, on both the production team and presenting team to take the show forward and make it the hit we want it to be.”

It’s not clear exactly what will happen next with the show. One option would be for Matt LeBlanc to be the only host, if the BBC choose not to directly replace Evans, which - judging by the wording of the statement from Linsey - might well be the case. Such a move would also free up space for Chris Harris and Rory Reid to appear more frequently, something which Top Gear producers may well be considering, since the pair have been well received by the audience and critics alike.

With Chris Evans at the helm, ratings for the show fell dramatically. After opening with 4.4 million overnight viewers, the show’s audience fell to 2.34 million by the fourth episode. The fifth episode fared better at 2.7 million viewers, but Sunday’s show was the least viewed so far with just 1.9 million tuning in.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Azine Jabroni

Just promote Harris.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Old 07-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

They should have a host.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Matt, Sabine and Chris Harris will be a great trio.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Harris, Rory, & LeBlanc. Get it done BBC.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Null and proud of it

Hmm... What's that song from The Wizzard of Oz?

Oh yeah, the wicked wich is dead!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Growing pains for the new Top Gear. Chris Harris as host, please.

Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread