SUV with 3rd row suggestions

Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I wish I could sell my wife on an ExSport. She's sold on another Flex, or something else altogether (Mercedes GLC).
Even an Edge Sport would work for us, since we so rarely use the 3rd row.
Old neighbor had an Edge Sport, they're nice!. I see a lot of women in my area driving sports though. Out of SUVs in my area the most common are 1) Explorer 2) Pilot. I rarely see Highlanders anymore.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,826 Likes on 3,848 Posts
I wish I could sell my wife on an ExSport. She's sold on another Flex, or something else altogether (Mercedes GLC).
Even an Edge Sport would work for us, since we so rarely use the 3rd row.
You could also spring for the Edge ST though I wouldn't get a smaller SUV. I went from a Yukon XL to my Cherokee and miss the space to haul stuff dearly. Though the fuel economy is quite a lot better now than before...
Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Yeah, I don't see us moving back to a 2 row SUV, even though we don't use the 3rd much, until we're 100% into no-more-kids.
So, it'll likely be another Flex when it's time to replace the '13. At least this time, I'll spring for the EcoBoost Limited
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Yeah, I don't see us moving back to a 2 row SUV, even though we don't use the 3rd much, until we're 100% into no-more-kids.
So, it'll likely be another Flex when it's time to replace the '13. At least this time, I'll spring for the EcoBoost Limited
Isn’t the flex being discontinued? Or are you going to be buying used down the road? Also not to get off track here but I can’t wait to see the next gen explorer, the most recent refresh ones look AMAZING in silver....but I don’t need or want something that big.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 PM

IIRC, 2020 is the last model year for the Flex. So, we've got a bit to find one. Not opposed to used either, though it'll be a 2016+ to get Sync3.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
Isn’t the flex being discontinued? Or are you going to be buying used down the road? Also not to get off track here but I can’t wait to see the next gen explorer, the most recent refresh ones look AMAZING in silver....but I don’t need or want something that big.
I'm waiting for the next gen Explorer as well, just to see if I decide to say screw sliding doors.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I'm waiting for the next gen Explorer as well, just to see if I decide to say screw sliding doors.
My biggest gripes with the current model are the 6 speed and the AWD system. I am certain the next gen model will be moving up to a 8 speed and fingers crossed it gets the SH-AWD-like system from the continental/RS.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM

Does Ford currently have an 8 speed? I don't see a FWD/AWD version of the 10 speed going in, but that would be interesting.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

I was never a Ford person, but, Ford has come up.

My buddy has an F-150 I want to say 2015-2016 already racked up 100k+ and it still runs like a champ.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM

Only 22k on mine, but still runs great. Only problem has been the sunroof.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Does Ford currently have an 8 speed? I don't see a FWD/AWD version of the 10 speed going in, but that would be interesting.
Yup, an in house designed 8 speed just went in on the refreshed Edge and Nautilus (MKX). So it will definitely find it’s way to the explorer soon. Kia just imsalled an 8 speed auto on their refreshed sorento, 6 speeds is simply obsolete at this point.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Rumor has it that ford should be going 9 speed. Turbocharged is being rumored as well as a Hybrid model for the explorer.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Rumor has it that ford should be going 9 speed. Turbocharged is being rumored as well as a Hybrid model for the explorer.
I highly doubt that. They just came up with the 8 speed so why would they also come up with the 9 speed? Unless they also worked with GM on making it like they did the 10 speed and GM is using a new 9 speed on the equinox and terrain so I guess it’s possible. As for turbocharged, they already have 2 turbo options and have for a while now. Unless you mean turbo hybrid combo?
Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
This new Subaru Ascent looks promising

https://www.subaru.com/ascent
Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 AM
Team Owner

I highly doubt that. They just came up with the 8 speed so why would they also come up with the 9 speed? Unless they also worked with GM on making it like they did the 10 speed and GM is using a new 9 speed on the equinox and terrain so I guess it’s possible. As for turbocharged, they already have 2 turbo options and have for a while now. Unless you mean turbo hybrid combo?
It's rumors from multiple sources. I was curious to see if there was any revealing of the 19' Explorer. Then I can across that article about a 9 speed and hybrid model possibly coming.

I'll have to link it when I get into the office.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Ex-OEM King

Hybrid is an almost certainty at this point. 9 speed is, as said, unlikely. It'll either be the 8 speed or the 10 speed from the F150.

At what point does adding more gears get to be pointless. The 9 speed in my Jeep has never, ever used 9th gear since it's too tall unless going downhill, with the wind, at 80mph for 30 minutes.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Team Owner

I remember when everyone was like "Oh shit, 8 speed."
Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan

Not bad, like a Forester & Outback made a baby.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I remember when everyone was like "Oh shit, 8 speed."
FCA's 8spd > FCA's 9spd by light years.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan

I really like this thing, but I hate that they put a CVT in something this large. I don’t feel it can handle the load.

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Hybrid is an almost certainty at this point. 9 speed is, as said, unlikely. It'll either be the 8 speed or the 10 speed from the F150.

At what point does adding more gears get to be pointless. The 9 speed in my Jeep has never, ever used 9th gear since it's too tall unless going downhill, with the wind, at 80mph for 30 minutes.
I personally believe that 8 speeds is the golden number. It allows for close ratios in city speeds and allows a tall enough top gear for efficient driving on the highway. Like you said, anything above that and it’s very very rare to see the top gear and it’s kind of pointless because almost nobody is cruising at those speeds. But I just thought about something, the ZF9 is made by a German company right? Is it possible they made the top gear so high because of the absence of speed limits on the autobahn?

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
FCA's 8spd > FCA's 9spd by light years.
It’s a completely different transmission design though so you can’t really compare them. But I fully agree with you. I always wonder if they could have avoided the dog clutches if they stuck to 8 speeds (like how other transverse 8 speed autos avoid the dog clutch). A lot of people complain that there is something wrong with their ZF9 when it’s not really that something is “wrong” but rather that is the inherent design that causes a lag due to those dog clutches.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM
The Third Ball

?

It’s a completely different transmission design though so you can’t really compare them. But I fully agree with you. I always wonder if they could have avoided the dog clutches if they stuck to 8 speeds (like how other transverse 8 speed autos avoid the dog clutch). A lot of people complain that there is something wrong with their ZF9 when it’s not really that something is “wrong” but rather that is the inherent design that causes a lag due to those dog clutches.
Well, I owned both at the same time, so I actually can compare them. And while I had the first gen ZF9...it was a turd to the point that it sometimes made the car feel unsafe. I’m told their better...but reviews Ive read still say they aren’t the best.The 8spd is fantastic. Ive driven a couple models with it including my own and they are all a joy.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Well, I owned both at the same time, so I actually can compare them. And while I had the first gen ZF9...it was a turd to the point that it sometimes made the car feel unsafe. I’m told their better...but reviews Ive read still say they aren’t the best.The 8spd is fantastic. Ive driven a couple models with it including my own and they are all a joy.
No, I mean the 8 speed is an actual longitudinal transmission whereas the 9 speed is a transverse transaxle. They are not the same design so that’s why they can’t really be compared. If the ZF9 was the same design as the ZF8 then it would make sense but I’m saying from a actual physical design point of view, not from an “experience” point of view if that makes sense. I agree with you, the ZF8 is an absolute beauty of a transmission while that ZF9 is just too weird in operation. I also hear they are supposed to be better now but I don’t buy it.
Sarlacc (01-26-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

I personally believe that 8 speeds is the golden number. It allows for close ratios in city speeds and allows a tall enough top gear for efficient driving on the highway. Like you said, anything above that and it’s very very rare to see the top gear and it’s kind of pointless because almost nobody is cruising at those speeds. But I just thought about something, the ZF9 is made by a German company right? Is it possible they made the top gear so high because of the absence of speed limits on the autobahn?

I think it's just the programming by Jeep in regards to not using 9th gear and it goes into 8th at like 60mph so it's not like it's already at high speeds and all the Honda products can use it no problem. There aren't any German brands using this gearbox so I highly doubt it has anything to do with autobahn speeds.

Yes it's a different transmission and it wasn't just the inherent design that was the issue. The programming was total dogshit when I first got the thing. You don't experience the issue until after the "learning period" is over. After that is when you get the jerky shifts where it slams into another gear for no reason. The good news is that I got the software flashed over the summer and it has been fantastic ever since. The dog clutches are always going to delay a shift and in a Jeep that's not that big of a deal. The problem wasn't time, it was quality and now that the software has been updated, it's a lot better than before.
RDX10 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I think it's just the programming by Jeep in regards to not using 9th gear and it goes into 8th at like 60mph so it's not like it's already at high speeds and all the Honda products can use it no problem. There aren't any German brands using this gearbox so I highly doubt it has anything to do with autobahn speeds.

Yes it's a different transmission and it wasn't just the inherent design that was the issue. The programming was total dogshit when I first got the thing. You don't experience the issue until after the "learning period" is over. After that is when you get the jerky shifts where it slams into another gear for no reason. The good news is that I got the software flashed over the summer and it has been fantastic ever since. The dog clutches are always going to delay a shift and in a Jeep that's not that big of a deal. The problem wasn't time, it was quality and now that the software has been updated, it's a lot better than before.
Yeah you have a good point. It is not used in any German vehicles so my autobahn theory doesn’t hold water lol. Odd that jeep would program it to rarely go into 9th. Does it still not go into 9th? Also what is your take on the facelifted cherokee? I really like it and think they did a really good job with it. You are also correct about the programming being horrendous, they have fixed it tremendously over the years but I have to wonder what made them rush it and shove it into everything. Everything that had the original ones has had nothing but terrible reviews. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local Jeep dealership and he told me emphatically “AVOID THAT JEEP WITH THE THIN HEADLIGHTS we change the transmissions on them multiple times a day”. Keep in mind that was when they first came out. Not sure what he thinks now.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

Yeah you have a good point. It is not used in any German vehicles so my autobahn theory doesn’t hold water lol. Odd that jeep would program it to rarely go into 9th. Does it still not go into 9th? Also what is your take on the facelifted cherokee? I really like it and think they did a really good job with it. You are also correct about the programming being horrendous, they have fixed it tremendously over the years but I have to wonder what made them rush it and shove it into everything. Everything that had the original ones has had nothing but terrible reviews. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local Jeep dealership and he told me emphatically “AVOID THAT JEEP WITH THE THIN HEADLIGHTS we change the transmissions on them multiple times a day”. Keep in mind that was when they first came out. Not sure what he thinks now.
Nope, still no 9th. Only difference pre and post update was vastly improved shift performance and times. Even the dog clutch changes are now really good. The first year (2014) and part of second year had an actual mechanical defect with one of the c-clips used in the manufacture of the gearbox which is what caused all the catastrophic failures. Once that was fixed it was good to go other than software which has now been rectified. New ones look nice but, IMO, now just look like every other crossover out there. At least the pre-facelift models were very distinctive. The look definitely grows on you, especially in TH form.
RDX10 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:31 PM
The Third Ball

My issue was those same jerky shifts...slowing to stop at stop signs and the thing would go to 2nd...then after my stop and and resume wouldn't drop to first until after I had started again, resulting in a super jerky downshift. Gassing it on freeway on ramps or to pass and sometimes it would downshift and vroom, no problems...other times it would dog out...and suddenly your the guy changing lanes or merging without speeding up...until it decided to downshift...which was too late.

Having it flashed did nothing for me. But again, first gen tranny and I remember reading they made changes to the 2015+ that made it better.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Nope, still no 9th. Only difference pre and post update was vastly improved shift performance and times. Even the dog clutch changes are now really good. The first year (2014) and part of second year had an actual mechanical defect with one of the c-clips used in the manufacture of the gearbox which is what caused all the catastrophic failures. Once that was fixed it was good to go other than software which has now been rectified. New ones look nice but, IMO, now just look like every other crossover out there. At least the pre-facelift models were very distinctive. The look definitely grows on you, especially in TH form.
I had no idea about the C-clip. Thanks for educating me on that! I agree completely that the pre-lift model in trailhawk trim was actually pretty cool looking and I would not mind one at all! I also fully agree that everything is similar these days that it’s beginning to get all bland. Automakers are having a hard time between distinctive and over the top gaudy (see toyota and lexus).
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
CPO Mercedes Benz GL350 Bluetec https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/gl-class
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Narrowed the search down to either the pilot or MDX. Drove both and I like dynamics of the MDX but the space and economical value of the pliot cannot be beat. I don't normally buy new cars but I was offered a 2018 EXL Pilot for $33500 with 0.9% financing. Carmax has a few 2016 used ones for more than that price. Gf drove the pilot yesterday and loved the amount of space it offers. She thought the interior was a tad basic but she doesn't mind. On top of that we were offered a really good trade in value (about what I'd accept if I sold privately) for the Maxima. She wants to go drive the MDX but I know the Pilot will be one because her main priority is getting a vehicle with enough space. I'm 6'3" and I fit pretty well in the 3rd row of the Pilot. Hoping to get things wrapped up in the next week or so
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

That's a good deal. 33.5 for an EX-L.
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
That's a great deal, $33.5 for 2018 Pilot EX-L.
We were looking last year at the CRV and the Pilot about this time and could not get anywhere near that (IIRC ~$36k for the 2017 EX-L Pilot was about the best).
My wife decided the CRV better fit her needs with not needing that much room and seating.
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Done deal
The following 2 users liked this post by TLDude876:
JS + XES (02-09-2018), Legend2TL (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLDude876

Done deal
Congrats man! I don’t know what it is but I really have a thing for those new pilots. They are GINORMOUS!!! But I love that about them. Enjoy in good health!
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats and good choice. Pilots are still solid (though I prefer the 1G myself, which I had for 8 years). It'll last you forever.
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Thanks guys. Hoping to get at least 10 years out of it. As mentioned before I never purchase brand new vehicles but everything aligned for this one. I guess I've learned somehting new. Luxury/High end vehicles depreciate much quicker and it makes sense to wait a year or two to purchase used ( Saved over 15k off Msrp on the Infiniti when it was a year old with 11k miles). In the case of the Pilot there were a few 2 year old examples selling for the price we got the 18 for.

The dealer gave us more than kbb clean trade in value on the Maxima. That along with the price, reliability, cabin space and 0.9% apr make it seems worth it. We had a good amount of cash as downpayment but decided to keep it in our pockets and finance everything since the interest rate is so low.

I don't know if I had mentioned it before but I gave the gf the choice of getting a new car vs getting a pool built in the backyard. From the jump she chose the pool. It was always her dream to have one at home and the Maxima (her first car) never had any issues. I was excited that she was on board with the pool and even had bids from several companies. After months of debating, we eventually decided on the car as the space would be needed eventually with the little one on the way. Eventually we will get to the pool but for now we'll mooch off the next door neighbors

Back to the Pilot now Of course a few accessories will be necessary. Current plan is to order running boards and all weather mats ASAP. I'm still doing some research on the roof rails and debating whether I like mud guards or not. I'll try to get some better pictures over the weekend.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Smokin deal.
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Back to the Pilot now Of course a few accessories will be necessary. Current plan is to order running boards and all weather mats ASAP. I'm still doing some research on the roof rails and debating whether I like mud guards or not. I'll try to get some better pictures over the weekend.
Congrats! That looks like an awesome deal for a new Pilot.

Also, weathertech mats FTW. I'm not sure why cars even come with carpet anymore, most people just cover them with all weather mats anyway. I'm not sure I've ever seen the actual carpet in the Jeep because they've been under weathertech mats since I drove it off the lot.
TLDude876 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM

^ Houston & the fact that 90% of the time, it's just me or me & an adult passenger, I've never bothered for weathertechs. Though, they'd probably be a good idea for the Flex with 2 kids.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Congrats! That looks like an awesome deal for a new Pilot.

Also, weathertech mats FTW. I'm not sure why cars even come with carpet anymore, most people just cover them with all weather mats anyway. I'm not sure I've ever seen the actual carpet in the Jeep because they've been under weathertech mats since I drove it off the lot.
Honda has a "high wall" set similar to weathertec and they are cheaper so I might get a set of those.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Hell yea!

Everyone over here buying new cars makes me want to go and get a new one now. But I have to wait until August.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SUV with 3rd row suggestions