Street racers get busted in Charlotte

Old 11-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant believe all these people where caught. I live maybe 7-8 minutes from stonecrest. I saw them there all the time there was on REALLY nice TL there it was an 04-06 but by the looks of things they didnt catch that person. You used to seem that at stonecrest all the time between target and harris teeter. They would line up on the road that divivded the two so to speak.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I wouldn't be happy if my police department spent 4 months of time (and overtime, most likely) to end up with a few cars and some kids in handcuffs. That just can't be justified. There have gotta be more serious "criminals" out there... like a drug dealer, maybe.
Well, I live in the area and I'm very happy. There is a large police presence all around the area, both by Charlotte police as well as local town and county cops, so the fact that a small number of them were assigned to this case doesn't bother me in the least. Such a small percentage of the police department was assigned to this matter that it's hardly worth even thinking about, leaving more then enough available to handle the other criminal elements.

Additionally, since we moved down in Spring of 2005 there have been several fatal accidents on I485... most involving kids, and sometimes alcohol. In all of the years we lived in NY I never heard of so many of these types of accidents as we have in the 18 months we've been here. It's crazy. For a while there it was like everytime you turned on the news, another fatal crash. They had to know I485 was under heavy watch b/c of those accidents, yet they still chose to race on there, and now they paid the price.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Well, I live in the area and I'm very happy. There is a large police presence all around the area, both by Charlotte police as well as local town and county cops, so the fact that a small number of them were assigned to this case doesn't bother me in the least. Such a small percentage of the police department was assigned to this matter that it's hardly worth even thinking about, leaving more then enough available to handle the other criminal elements.

Additionally, since we moved down in Spring of 2005 there have been several fatal accidents on I485... most involving kids, and sometimes alcohol. In all of the years we lived in NY I never heard of so many of these types of accidents as we have in the 18 months we've been here. It's crazy. For a while there it was like everytime you turned on the news, another fatal crash. They had to know I485 was under heavy watch b/c of those accidents, yet they still chose to race on there, and now they paid the price.

Now granted I dont Street race on 485 I do speed on there (not a lot but I do) and I almost NEVER see cops on that road. The place I see the most cops is on providence road (probably because my school is there and they use our parking lot as a speed trap) but theres usually a lot on providence.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Now granted I dont Street race on 485 I do speed on there (not a lot but I do) and I almost NEVER see cops on that road. The place I see the most cops is on providence road (probably because my school is there and they use our parking lot as a speed trap) but theres usually a lot on providence.
Agreed, there are not a lot of cops on 485. However, there are always cops on the overpasses and interchanges. In fact, just the other night on both Rea and Johnston there were DUI/DWI checks right by the entrances/exits to 485 from both of those roads.

Just b/c the cops aren't actually sitting on I485 doesn't mean it isn't being heavily monitored...
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Race Director

Agreed, there are not a lot of cops on 485. However, there are always cops on the overpasses and interchanges. In fact, just the other night on both Rea and Johnston there were DUI/DWI checks right by the entrances/exits to 485 from both of those roads.

Just b/c the cops aren't actually sitting on I485 doesn't mean it isn't being heavily monitored...
Wow what time on johnston road that is my exit and I was there and there was diffenently no DUI checks at all im assuming it was really late.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow what time on johnston road that is my exit and I was there and there was diffenently no DUI checks at all im assuming it was really late.
It was either Thursday or Friday night... around 2-3am. Can't remember which (long weekend), but we were out both nights around that time and usually come home that way b/c it's quicker for us. Luckily we were sober
Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Race Director

It was either Thursday or Friday night... around 2-3am. Can't remember which (long weekend), but we were out both nights around that time and usually come home that way b/c it's quicker for us. Luckily we were sober
Yeah I have always wanted to go through a random check completely solber just to be like "WHAT NOW" but drunk driving is a big problem here remember all those wrong way accidents on 485 and stuff. I mean you have to be pretty freakin smashed to go the wrong way and not even know it. I personally think driving drunk is really stupid and would never do it not even from neighbors house to neighbors house.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah I have always wanted to go through a random check completely solber just to be like "WHAT NOW" but drunk driving is a big problem here remember all those wrong way accidents on 485 and stuff. I mean you have to be pretty freakin smashed to go the wrong way and not even know it. I personally think driving drunk is really stupid and would never do it not even from neighbors house to neighbors house.

Hahahaha, I always wanted that experience too. I got lucky one night and actually saw where they were doing a sobriety checkpoint and actually wernt throught on purpose. they just made me follow some lights and blow a breathelizer. I wanted them to make me walk in a straight line, or do my ABCs and hop one leg or SOMETHING! What kind of fun is that!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Hahahaha, I always wanted that experience too. I got lucky one night and actually saw where they were doing a sobriety checkpoint and actually wernt throught on purpose. they just made me follow some lights and blow a breathelizer. I wanted them to make me walk in a straight line, or do my ABCs and hop one leg or SOMETHING! What kind of fun is that!
Me too I really want to take one and pass with flying colors just so I can be like "psh you just wasted your time while the real drunks are out there" I have never once been through a random check point. I think I need to go out at 2 in the morning and just start driving around to find one.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro

Me too I really want to take one and pass with flying colors just so I can be like "psh you just wasted your time while the real drunks are out there" I have never once been through a random check point. I think I need to go out at 2 in the morning and just start driving around to find one.

Haha, thats pretty much how I found mine. My friends and I were on a late night taco bell run during a break from some poker action. I couldnt resist. We took 3 seperate cars and alll went through it. Haahaha.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
TSX

update story

Street racing probe reveals organized, dangerous world
Evidence of criminal activity, drinking
KIRSTEN VALLE
kvalle@charlotteobserver.com

Young drivers in souped-up cars have been racing for months late at night on roads around Mecklenburg County, traveling at speeds of 100 mph and higher.

More than a few times, they nearly collided with city buses, tractor trailers and motorists on stretches they expected to be abandoned.

After four months of surveillance, authorities cracked down.

They arrested 10 drivers this weekend and two more Monday night, and have seized 19 modified cars.

Police said this week that their investigation revealed an organized, complex and dangerous racing culture.

"This isn't just a bunch of high school kids," said one undercover Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer who asked not to be identified because he's still involved in the investigation. "This is an organized group in their mid-20s, and there's evidence of criminal activity, from drinking to stolen vehicle parts to weapons."

The problem is not new.

In May 2005, five people were injured in Gastonia when a street racer lost control of his car and crashed into a line of people outside a Dairy Queen.

And about four years ago, police launched a smaller probe in northern Mecklenburg that ended with several arrests and car seizures, the officer said.

The latest investigation, a joint effort of police, the N.C. Highway Patrol and the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles, started after residents and business owners complained of loud engines and racing after midnight near the Stonecrest at Piper Glen shopping center in south Charlotte.

Police found efficient, organized races across the county and in nearby parts of South Carolina, many involving 75-100 racers, 200 spectators and drivers stationed along nearby roads to watch for police.

"You have to get creative," the officer said. "You can't even get close to the spot. If they hear a siren, even an ambulance, or see police cars, they instantly notify the rest of the group. There's a mad dash, and that created a dangerous situation as well."

Many races took place at business parks, but sometimes drivers held "roll races" along Interstate 485, where they would slow to around 30 mph and take off, sometimes reaching speeds of 130 mph or more, he said.

Police stopped racers on I-485 as they saw them, making eight such arrests over the past two months.

Authorities watched and waited for the rest of the racers. By the time police made their arrests, they had had warrants ready for weeks.

Some car enthusiasts, known as "tuners," say there's more to their culture than police and the media have let on.

Many say modifying cars is a hobby, more about socializing than speed, and many say they compete legally at drag strips and autocross events sponsored by the Sports Car Club of America and other groups.

Several colleges in the area, including UNC Charlotte, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College and Central Piedmont Community College, offer increasingly popular courses in automotive and motorsports technology.

While most of the classes deal with repairs, not modifications, many students are interested in both, RCCC instructor Nathan Snyder said. He said drivers who don't take classes learn to modify their cars from friends or car shows.

"My friends and my group, we're really no different than our fathers working on cars in their garages," said William Huneycutt, 25, a student at RCCC. "The few who do choose to street race are giving the rest of us a bad name."

Sonny Nguyen, 19, a student at UNC Charlotte, said he enjoys working on his 2003 Acura RSX and competing legally because "it brings a lot of my friends together. It's just an awesome culture to get into."

He goes to Stonecrest occasionally on the weekends, but more for the movie theater and restaurants than the cars, he said.

"The scene out there on Saturday nights is very diverse," he said. "I just want people to know it's not everybody."

Other tuners said building racetracks closer to Charlotte would help keep illegal racers off the roads and give enthusiasts a place to gather.

"There isn't anywhere in Charlotte to congregate," said Mary Bruce, 28, a stay-at-home mom who has been working on cars since she was 16. "A lot of us just like to drive around and show off our vehicle, and it's kind of hard to invite 35 friends over to your house when you live in a subdivision."

Police said their recent investigation wasn't about the crowd at Stonecrest.

"A lot of people don't have anywhere to go, and I understand that," the undercover officer said. "I can sympathize with that, but I can't sympathize with taking it to the streets."

The investigation isn't over. About 60 warrants are pending, and authorities expect to make more arrests and seize more vehicles in coming weeks.

"Everybody thinks it's just a fad for the police department, that it's a short-lived investigation, but it's not," the officer said. "It's something we need to get a hold on real quick."

Arrests

Arrested Monday:

Edwin Figueroa and Ruben Chen

Arrested Sunday:

These people were charged with reckless driving and prearranged speed competition:

Brian Kanabroski, 31, of Charlotte.

José P. Hernández, 22, of Charlotte.

Jorge Alfonso Maldonado, 21, of Monroe.

Michael King, 20, of Kannapolis.

Emanuel Fakhori, 20, of Charlotte.

James Ivey, 19, of Kannapolis.

Thomas Blakney, 19, of Kannapolis.

Timothy Roberts, 19, of Charlotte.

Michael Clontz, 19, of Monroe.

Vincent Aupied, 18, of Charlotte.

In a separate investigation, the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles has seized six vehicles to determine whether they contained stolen parts and whether some modifications were street-legal.

SOURCE: Charlotte-Mecklenburg police
Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

That would be funny.

But yeah, I think all of those accidents on 485 is why they are watching it so closely. We didn't have to do any actual sobriety stuff. They just asked us where we were coming from, where we were going, if we had anything to drink, etc. They can tell right away if you've been drinking or not, so they don't waste time testing everyone...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

BTW, if we had some expendable income (well, a lot extra since it would not be cheap), I would totally build a strip or something around here for the kids to compete at.... just to keep them off of the streets.

There is plenty of land around here to do that. The problem is that the land is getting more and more expensive, and with houses and communities going up everywhere, it would be hard to find a plot of land that be zoned for such use.

If Lowe's Motor Speedway was smart they'd start hosting events to cater to these guys...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro

Apparently, its a lot of hassle paying to get it insured for drivers and such. But really, do you know how fast you could make that cost up. During the summertime in my hometown, they open it up to racers on wednesday nights. The course is so small though that it just isn't the same. It got to the point where people were driving around looking for abandoned railroads. The moeny the spend doing things like this could just as easily be put towards a track. Like they always say... "If you build it, they will come!"
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro

That would be funny.

But yeah, I think all of those accidents on 485 is why they are watching it so closely. We didn't have to do any actual sobriety stuff. They just asked us where we were coming from, where we were going, if we had anything to drink, etc. They can tell right away if you've been drinking or not, so they don't waste time testing everyone...

Haha, I actually think they made me do the light thing and the breathelizer because I was driving all over the dotted line. I mean, heck its 2am, and i'm trying to put the straw in my mountain dew. I can't be focused on effing lanes!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Apparently, its a lot of hassle paying to get it insured for drivers and such. But really, do you know how fast you could make that cost up. During the summertime in my hometown, they open it up to racers on wednesday nights. The course is so small though that it just isn't the same. It got to the point where people were driving around looking for abandoned railroads. The moeny the spend doing things like this could just as easily be put towards a track. Like they always say... "If you build it, they will come!"
Well, I'd love to build something that was open to "street racers" more then just once per week.. otherwise you're not really getting them off of the street. And yeah, you'd make good coin, but like you said, insurance alone is a fortune. Not to mention the land. My wife's father is building a motorsports park in Florida (monster truck/mud bog, that sort of thing) and for 40 acres or so you're looking at a multi-million dollar purchase. And land here is more then where he's looking down there.

Oh well. Maybe one day if we're rich I'll think about it . Or maybe I can work with the near-by counties and have them pass a tax to charge each household a one-time $5 fee to go towards construction, and I'll handle the rest. That may fly!

Last edited by juniorbean; 11-10-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
It's one thing to soup up a car, another to go actually racing on a highway like that every month. People like that gave us Car enthusiasts a bad name.....

people like that were the original car enthusiasts
Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

Damn thats crazy...the funny thing is that i live in NC for exactly one month in 2001. I lived in North Mecklenburg thats like 10 min away from Charlotte...on a side note...is it legal to list the names of the people that were arrested on a public site?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLpower
people like that were the original car enthusiasts

those people who say that just front for the media to portray a different side...

who the hell goes through the trouble or getting a turbo kit installation cost's and tune time but park it in the garage to never give it any street time... thats a lie

no one can help just cruising the roads every once in a while in a car they have built and just tear it up. It may not lead to consecutive attendances to race scenes but im sure everyone who's doing shit to their cars are gonna let them loose sometimes....

its going to continue the way its happening its been going on for years... streetrace / ticket / tow / state ref / fee's / points on record.... rinse and repeat
Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dabusabus1
Damn thats crazy...the funny thing is that i live in NC for exactly one month in 2001. I lived in North Mecklenburg thats like 10 min away from Charlotte...on a side note...is it legal to list the names of the people that were arrested on a public site?
Your local paper should have a crime log.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Race Director

Well, I'd love to build something that was open to "street racers" more then just once per week.. otherwise you're not really getting them off of the street. And yeah, you'd make good coin, but like you said, insurance alone is a fortune. Not to mention the land. My wife's father is building a motorsports park in Florida (monster truck/mud bog, that sort of thing) and for 40 acres or so you're looking at a multi-million dollar purchase. And land here is more then where he's looking down there.

Oh well. Maybe one day if we're rich I'll think about it . Or maybe I can work with the near-by counties and have them pass a tax to charge each household a one-time $5 fee to go towards construction, and I'll handle the rest. That may fly!

Oh that is a sweet idea. That is true insuance is A LOT but imangine if you got someone rich in charlotte to do that (there are a lot of rich people in charlotte.) I thnk it would be sweet if someone did that.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
The orchestration that was conducted by the CMPD was extremely professional from my understanding.

It was initiated due to:
1) an elevated rate of auto larceny and theft in the area.
2) organized street racing
3) loitering and congregating in the Stonecrest shopping center
4) relentless reckless driving

I drive an 04 Acura TL and religiously drive to south Charlotte to hang out in the area around Stonecrest. Saturday nights are designated car nights for me, and I enjoy spending my time with my friends that also enjoy modifying cars.

Traditionally, one of the CMPD officers would show up and tell everyone to leave the premisis. But more recently, I noticed that not a single marked squad car would even drive through the shopping center. I knew the Police Dept. was up to something.

One of the first to be arrested about 6 weeks ago was my friend with a black M3.

The next week an 06 WRX Sti and 2 Mustangs were loaded up on roll backs.

The main event was last saturday night/sunday morning. I was missing in action but all my friends called me and told me about the orchestration the next day.

They all said it was a sight to see!...helicopter, USDOT trucks, squad cars, and about 70 officers in attendance.

...Has any of the other metropolitan police departments conducted similar operations similar to this?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
tehLEGOman

Savio thanks for the pictures from the bust.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 AM
tehLEGOman

I cant believe all these people where caught. I live maybe 7-8 minutes from stonecrest. I saw them there all the time there was on REALLY nice TL there it was an 04-06 but by the looks of things they didnt catch that person. You used to seem that at stonecrest all the time between target and harris teeter. They would line up on the road that divivded the two so to speak.
haha i think that might be me that you're talking about.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
The orchestration that was conducted by the CMPD was extremely professional from my understanding.

It was initiated due to:
1) an elevated rate of auto larceny and theft in the area.
2) organized street racing
3) loitering and congregating in the Stonecrest shopping center
4) relentless reckless driving

I drive an 04 Acura TL and religiously drive to south Charlotte to hang out in the area around Stonecrest. Saturday nights are designated car nights for me, and I enjoy spending my time with my friends that also enjoy modifying cars.

Traditionally, one of the CMPD officers would show up and tell everyone to leave the premisis. But more recently, I noticed that not a single marked squad car would even drive through the shopping center. I knew the Police Dept. was up to something.

One of the first to be arrested about 6 weeks ago was my friend with a black M3.

The next week an 06 WRX Sti and 2 Mustangs were loaded up on roll backs.

The main event was last saturday night/sunday morning. I was missing in action but all my friends called me and told me about the orchestration the next day.

They all said it was a sight to see!...helicopter, USDOT trucks, squad cars, and about 70 officers in attendance.

...Has any of the other metropolitan police departments conducted similar operations similar to this?

LEO have been doing this type of thing in S. California since 98 when I was in highschool and I used to frequent the "runs". Early in the morning the highway patrol/police would block off all exits, and show up with multiple agencies... one in particular called dragnet (they are dedicated to stop street racing scene in california).

The scene got real big out here after Fast and Furious, and people were driving their tercels, and cavaliers to the street races People were dying left and right. It was a joke. Major streets would be packed with a bunch of ricers, racing up and down a busy street. It was so crowded and yet people would still be standing out there while cars are flying by at +100mph in both directions.

Since then, the import culture has died out here. The state cracked down on the aftermarket and its emissions. You do get the occaisional street racers, but they are much more organized because it is very risky to race on the streets. They race for large sums of money and they don't cruise around like they used to.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The majority of automobile accidents/deaths/injuries involve people who were NOT drinking or racing, but rather by those who just don't know wtf they are doing, are in a hurry, have bald tires, were doing their make-up, following too closely, ..... Sure, get the ricer off the road, because his intake is too loud, and the authorities can say they're doing something about road safety. Upgrade your brakes, or suspension, and hey, you've crated a monster - another reason I bought a TSX instead of modifying an Accord.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
That bust happened about 10 mins from my apartment. I used to see a lot of those cars around. There's no way I'd ever bring my Civic to Charlotte unless I had a garage for it. A guy I work with lives in the same town as me (Pineville) and his '94 bone stock ugly green Accord was stolen from his apartment. They found it 3 days later lit on fire in some field in Chester County.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
That bust happened about 10 mins from my apartment. I used to see a lot of those cars around. There's no way I'd ever bring my Civic to Charlotte unless I had a garage for it. A guy I work with lives in the same town as me (Pineville) and his '94 bone stock ugly green Accord was stolen from his apartment. They found it 3 days later lit on fire in some field in Chester County.
Yeah it is very close to me also I live about 7 minutes from stonecrest and I STILL see cars like that driving around all the time and they think there just so awesome, but its just like ummm no.