Speeding motorcyclist taunts state trooper trapped in crashed car

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I suppose it's easy to single out motorcycle riders, but I've yet to hear how automobile operators acting irresponsibly aren't a danger to others as well (including the danger they pose to motorcyclists). The idiot driving his sportscar at high speed in and out of traffic. The young lady texting behind the wheel. The superhero in the lifted 4x4 riding someone's ass because he thinks the car in front is going to slow. And the average driver who is often in a waking doze, not aware of anything around him.

The only difference between one type of moron driving or riding a motor vehicle is the perception of the other.
Well said Terry. This x 100.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I agree with you Rick. It's very easy to generalize and claim that a particular motor vehicle demographic is more reckless than another. And it's even more ludicrous to claim that a particular operator of specific style of motor vehicle is more foolhardy than another. For every reckless motorcycle rider I know, I know many, many more that are careful and obey the rules of the road. And these dangerous riders are on all styles of motorcycles.

I suppose it's easy to single out motorcycle riders, but I've yet to hear how automobile operators acting irresponsibly aren't a danger to others as well (including the danger they pose to motorcyclists). The idiot driving his sportscar at high speed in and out of traffic. The young lady texting behind the wheel. The superhero in the lifted 4x4 riding someone's ass because he thinks the car in front is going to slow. And the average driver who is often in a waking doze, not aware of anything around him.

The only difference between one type of moron driving or riding a motor vehicle is the perception of the other.

Terry

Thats probably one of the most well said things I have ever read on this forum.

But on another note, and I tell you this with 100% seriousness, this is not a lie....I had to get on I-95 about 2 hours ago and I was cruising along doing roughly 75-80mph in one of the middle lanes when out of no-where 2 sport bikes FLY past me to the left and then move all the way into the left lane....I swear, they were probably doing close to 145-150mph, and then they were gone...
Later on in the night, me and a buddy drove my friends car back to his house so he could take his bike home...(It was left here last night due to the rain, he did not want to ride home) Sure enough, at 11.30-12 theres not much traffic and he was speeding and doing wheelies for a good portion of the ride home, which is like 4-5 miles....

I WISH I had a video camera so I could put it up, but I had 3 examples just tonight alone....Usually I never see this on a daily basis, but tonight awkwardly enough, after our conversations on here there were 3 examples in one night!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I could argue that what most cops are actually trying to do is generate revenue for their county/city/state. Why is it considered so reckless to ride a bike at 100mph but perfectly safe to do so at 80mph? I certainly don't know the circumstances of this incident and all we have to go on is the word of an obviously biased and quite angry police officer. For all we know it was just a case of one cop chasing down some speeders and losing control of his car.
I think it depends on the highway & current situation.

Using my town as an example again (sorry), the GWB Tollway is 70Mph, but traffic runs at 80Mph. I imagine when you're on a bike going with the flow of traffic, it becomes easier to keep yourself prepared for anything other drivers might do. Is it reckless? Technically, yeah, but you're also not the fastest thing moving at that moment.

Now, going 100Mph makes it a bit of a different story, imo. I've done 90-100+ (granted I am in a car) on this same stretch, & the recklessness comes when in you're suddenly the fastest moving thing on the freeway & nobody is expecting somebody to coming up so fast. Being so, I imagine the bikers really get the wrap for this because unlike a car, a biker may just easily dodge to the left/right quick enough thanks to their versatility.

Not posing this as a lecture to you or anyone else, just my on your question.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 08-12-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
First off, the idiots that were the subject of the thread to start with are just plain dumb. They should be caught, and sent to prison.

Terry, well said. Idiots are in all shapes, sizes, and modes of transportation.

And last, if weaving in and out of traffic is a bad thing (and under most circumstances it is), then never come over to the Far East, where it is a way of life.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ANC297

But on another note, and I tell you this with 100% seriousness, this is not a lie....I had to get on I-95 about 2 hours ago and I was cruising along doing roughly 75-80mph in one of the middle lanes when out of no-where 2 sport bikes FLY past me to the left and then move all the way into the left lane....I swear, they were probably doing close to 145-150mph, and then they were gone...
Later on in the night, me and a buddy drove my friends car back to his house so he could take his bike home...(It was left here last night due to the rain, he did not want to ride home) Sure enough, at 11.30-12 theres not much traffic and he was speeding and doing wheelies for a good portion of the ride home, which is like 4-5 miles....

I WISH I had a video camera so I could put it up, but I had 3 examples just tonight alone....Usually I never see this on a daily basis, but tonight awkwardly enough, after our conversations on here there were 3 examples in one night!
And I could make videos of hundreds of motorcyclists (and even *gasp* sportbike riders) that I see every day on my commute, riding safely and obeying the rules of the road.....but that wouldn't make a sensational story...so what's your point?

What these guys in the article did is reprehensible....absolutely. But if they were driving boosted Subaru STis, would people post that all STi drivers are reckless maniacs and we should ban these death machines from the road? Please....
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I love how some people are saying that they have certain "views" against other people who drive certain cars. Would it be any different if they guy were driving a Toyota Camry or Prius? Hey, at least the car stopped!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Yea, the speed doesn't make them as wreckless, but it is when they are on one wheel, or going between 2 cars that are side by side, or too lazy to deal with traffic and go 100mph on the shoulder that makes them reckless.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I do not own a motorcycle, nor do I ride on a regular basis,
And therein lies part of the problem. I do ride daily, and I do ride in groups. I also do a lot of road trips both with my bike and car and everytime I'm out, people are behaving. The hundreds of other riders I pass are also just doing their thing, within the laws of the road.

But lets say you are at a motorcycle meet and 100 bikers show up...
How are you gonna tell me that out of those 100 riders, only 1 of them speeds through traffic, in and out of lanes on a regular basis...I am gonna continue to dis-agree with that statement, but thats just me.
I go to a regular meet every Wednesday at a local place where literally THOUSANDS of motorcycles show up as well as hundreds of spectators in cars which fill the surrounding lots. Do some riders ride faster then the speed limit? Sure. But at the same I get passed by more cars then bikes when heading to the meet. The speed limit on the interstate is 65mph... but are there times that I go 75mph or so when heading up? Sure. But on that same interstate I do the same speed with my car. I can also honestly say I have never seen any motorcyclist riding recklessly either to or from the event. While there some of the custom bikes may fire their engines and rev up for the crowd and some may do a burnout or two... that is in the parking lot at the even. Once everyone is on the road they are riding in formation and obeying traffic laws. And that's just one meet... I go to several per month and have never seen any incidents or reckless driving.

It's funny b/c like you, I don't get why you can't understand what I'm saying. The problem is that you're aking the 1% thing too literally. My original statement said that 99% of the riders out there are good riders. That's a general statement. That means, of all of the motorcycles on the road, 99% of them are law abiding riders. I never said that at any given time the 1% rule was an absolute. No where did I state that if 100 people gather, only 1 may be the asshole. Or if 350 people show up, only 3.5 may be assholes. It's a general statement/statistic summarizing the entire riding community.

Last edited by juniorbean; 08-12-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Whether it's in the news or not, these morons jumping on bikes seems to be rising.
That's the thing, it's not rising... it's actually on the decline.

The AMA is actually in the middle of a HUGE crash study which is being done to update a prior study that is decades old. The preliminary findings showed that in just about every category, numbers are down. Everything from incidents to injuries to deaths. And some categories are down by double digit percentages. I wish I had the AMA magazine handy so I could rattle some off... but with the move they're in boxes in storage. If I have some time I'll snoop around the AMA's website...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Here are some recent comments that I read from the local paper from readers.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour..._id=2012600509

"witnesses told police that there may have been as many as 60 to 70 riders in the group and that the two that taunted the trooper may have been behind his patrol car during the pursuit, she said."

What in the world was this officer thinking? Why is the eye witness account so different from the police account?

Sounds like very poor judgement on this cops part and an attempt to place blame elsewhere.

Trooper Brian Salyer. If you read this. This is your karma.

Another bunch of kids on Crotch Rockets thinking they're Supermen (or women). One day the rules of gravity and inertia will catch up with them and they'll be a greasy stain on the road somewhere.

I know the type of groups herrbrams has seen and they're nothing but punks, plain and simple. They run when confronted about breaking the law, talk the talk but never walk the walk. And the funny part is most of the time their bikes have some kind of duct tape "repairs" on them.

I don't understand why a trooper who is trained to be cool under pressure would swerve to avoid hitting a motorcycle he is pursuing. If he had done the right thing, the BIKERS are the ones who would be upside down and bleeding.

While I do not condone the actions of the motorcyclists, too often have I seen the cops laughing, joking, mocking and, sometimes, abusing those they arrest, even if they are hurt.

No sympathy.

Eyewitness to the incident after the crash stated that the riders that were in the first group were far gone after the cop failed to maintain control his vehicle.

The cop is clearly lying. But what would you expect from cops?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

^
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Agreed...although like the internet, anonymous posting tends to empower a lot of people to make silly posts like "No sympathy" or "The cop is clearly lying. But what would you expect from cops?"....you can't cure stupid.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i too dont believe a cop would be able to keep up with a sportbike. by the time the cop reached 100mph. the bikes were probably out of sight.

just a though
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell yeah rep that QC
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like Super Trooper Douche was being an asshole.

But the assholes that taunted him should be hauled off and locked up.

It's a no win story for all involved.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._taunt13m.html

Witness disputes trooper's version of crash with bikers

An eyewitness to the crash that left a state trooper in a ditch on Tuesday night is disputing the trooper's claim that the accident was caused by two motorcycles that cut him off.
By Christine Clarridge
Seattle Times staff reporter

Related

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.getElementById('stBackgroundLa bel').style.display = 'block';</SCRIPT>An eyewitness to the crash that left a State Patrol trooper injured on Tuesday night is disputing the trooper's contention that the accident was caused by two motorcyclists who cut him off.
Francisco Sanchez, 32, of Seattle, said he was driving his car on the ramp that links Interstate 5 to northbound Highway 599 in Tukwila when he saw a motorcycle racing up behind him. The rider slowed, turned around and waved his arm, Sanchez said. Two other riders then joined him and the three raced off together, he said.
Seconds later, said Sanchez, he saw a State Patrol car behind him heading into the curve.
"It was completely out of control," he said of the patrol car. "The car was just dancing. It hit the dirt and then cartwheeled like a cheerleader at nationals."
It did not appear that the motorcyclists in front of the patrol car cut him off, said Sanchez, who was interviewed Thursday by the State Patrol.
However, Sanchez said he did witness some riders taunt the injured trooper — identified by the State Patrol as 22-year veteran Brian Salyer — after he was pinned in his wrecked patrol car. He said several riders pulled up to the accident scene and some cheered and applauded. "They were excited. There was clapping and cheering, and a couple people got off their bikes to take pictures of the spectacle," Sanchez said. "There were also some good, normal citizens asking if he was all right."
Sanchez pulled up and got out of his car to see if he could assist the officer.
According to the State Patrol, Salyer was pursuing a a large group of motorcyclists speeding at more than 100 mph when he was "intentionally" cut off by two riders, causing him to lose control of the vehicle. The State Patrol said that at least two motorcyclists taunted the trooper while he was injured and pinned inside his vehicle and did not call for help.
Salyer was treated at Harborview Medical Center and released.
State Patrol spokesman Cliff Pratt said detectives are aware of the many different versions of the accident that are circulating. There were 70 to 100 motorcyclists in the group, according to State Patrol estimates.
"We've got several witnesses that have confirmed the officer's account and several people who have denied it," he said. "What we are trying to do is sort out fact from fiction."
According to another man, who claims he was among the motorcycle riders who encountered Salyer that night, all immediately slowed down when they saw the trooper.

The trooper then pulled his patrol car in front of the group of riders and attempted to act as a speed barrier by preventing them from passing him, said the man, who refused to give his name. He said the trooper had activated his yellow lights.
When motorcyclists tried to pass the officer, the officer changed lanes to block them, the rider said.
"He was trying to play Superman and take out a hundred bikes by making his one car take up all the lanes," the rider claims. "To us, it looked like he was swerving and trying to hit us."
He said three motorcyclists eventually "gunned it" and pulled around Salyer. The trooper then began to pursue them at a high rate of speed. Salyer crashed a short time later.
The rider who spoke with The Seattle Times said he did not witness the crash or what happened afterward. He said the riders were among a group who gather every Tuesday for "Two-Wheel Tuesday," a mass ride around the Seattle area.
State Patrol spokesman Pratt said the idea that the trooper would deliberately try to hit a motorcyclist is "outlandish."
But, he said, it's not inconceivable Salyer might have tried to use an approved technique called a "rolling slowdown" to deter speeding.
"It's an acceptable practice to slow down a large group of people," Pratt said Thursday.
Riders who stopped and taunted the officer without calling for help could possibly be charged with failing to summon assistance, a misdemeanor that could net up to three months in jail
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
Very interesting. Im still curious as to why the trooper would chase the motorcycles. That just seems to add to the problem, as the bikers are going faster to escape and he is doing 100mph through traffic which makes it more dangerous for those around him.

Does Washington have a general rule for troopers that after a certain speed they just need to back off?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not quite sure the exact MPH, but yes after a certain speed they're not suppose to give chase.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
was there no dash cam in the cop's car?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
I was thinking about that as well. But if the video doesnt line up with the cops story they wont release it.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
There wasn't a dash camera on this patrol car. WSP says they can't afford to put on in every patrol car at the cost of $500 per camera