Spark Plug Part Number, and other maintenance questions (2003 Honda Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Spark Plug Part Number, and other maintenance questions (2003 Honda Accord)

03 Accord, 4cyl auto.

I checked the owner's manual, and I plan on replacing the plugs with NGK Iridiums (same as from factory). But the manual gives two part numbers:

IZFR6K-11
IZFR6K-13

Manual says use -11, -13 on some models, but doesn't specify which.

So which is it?

More questions: Do you guys think it's worth getting a valve adjustment? 116k miles, there's no chatter yet, and I hear the K engines hold their valves very well. Or should I just have the mechanic check while he's down there changing the plugs?

Also, should only the head gasket be checked when changing the plugs? Or are there any other seals that should get some attention?

Stopped by the dealer the other day, and the service advisor said on high-mileage cars such as mine (I don't think it's that high, but I digress), a transmission fluid change should be done as opposed to a flush. Now all the transmission fluid changes I've seen or read on these cars have all been flushes. Thoughts? Opinions? I'l be changing the filter regardless.

I think his main concern was that the flush would unseat any fluid in the seals hiding their damage. If the fluid is unseated, it might cause the seal to be compromised. Would this be an issue with a car this new, or is the advisor blowing smoke up my rear?

Brakes: I've got warped rotors, both in the front, and maybe one in the rear. Is it worth getting the rotors machined? They'll just warp again anyways, won't they?

So I'll be looking at new rotors and pads, preferably non-OEM because I know brakes aren't these cars' strong points. The best combination I've seen have been Brembo blank rotors and Hawk pads, but God they're expensive. You guys have suggestions on a good set of pads and rotors on a student's budget? Preferably a combo that resists warpage and brake dust. The finish on my wheels has already been compromised by excessive brake dust.

And of course, I'll be getting new brake fluid. Honda OEM the best?

For you Toronto-area folks, the work will be done by All About Imports in Mississauga.

Last question: Lately I've been having trouble coming to a completely smooth stop. I'm the kind of driver that likes to avoid the jerk that comes from regular stopping, so as the car slows down, I let up on brake pressure slowly to avoid that jerk. As I'm almost coming to a stop, the transmission makes a really jerky downshift into (I assume) first gear. It's so bad sometimes that there are residual jerks, kind of like the feeling you get from a clutch bouncing on a flywheel when you engage it too quickly on a manual car, except it happens when you're coming to a stop as opposed to accelerating.

I'm hoping this will be cured by the transmission flush, but is this a symptom of a car with old tranny fluid?

If I can I'll be doing a Seafoam treatment before any of this work is done. The most common way of doing this from what I've read is 1/3 of the bottle in the gas tank, oil crankcase, and the final 1/3 through an intake tube while the car is idling. Then go for a spirited 15 minute drive. How dirty your engine was could be measured by how much white smoke there is coming out of your exhaust?

Any other maintenance I should attack at this mileage?

Thanks in advance, guys.