Some General Maintenance Questions About Anti-Freeze and Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016 | 09:47 AM
Colorado Springs

Some General Maintenance Questions About Anti-Freeze and Ball Joints

I'm going to replace the coolant in my Prelude this summer, and I have two unopened jugs of Honda Type 2 predilluted antifreeze that I bought in the summer of 2008, so it's basically 8 years old. My question is, is this stuff still good? Does antifreeze have a shelf life? The internet searches are devoid of answers to this question, but all internet questions seem to refer to the life of antifreeze once it's in the car.

Second question, I just witnessed yesterday that one of my adjustable ball joints is leaking grease out of its rubber boot (the rubber is also starting to crack around the creases). These were installed in 2008 as well, but I've always checked them every year for deterioration and found none until now. If this was your car that you knew you'd only drive for maybe 1000 miles this summer, would you bite the bullet and replace it? Or would you hold out for another year?

I'll ask more questions as I can think of them, I'm starting to pull off the car cover after this winter and see what needs maintained or replaced to keep it in running condition.
Old 03-16-2016 | 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

A sealed can/bottle of antifreeze has an indefinite shelf life. The new non silica extended antifreeze when opened has a shelf life over 8 years. Antifreeze is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water, therefore if you keep it air tight you will not have a problem.

I wouldn't call that 'devoid' of answers it was literally the first hit
Old 03-16-2016 | 12:25 PM
GEEZER

Well I can tell you this..you NEVER want to freeze your balls. Does that help?