So I Have Located a New Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011 | 08:44 AM
All About Trance

So I Have Located a New Car

However, this is with a private seller located in Connecticut. I am leery of the under carriage with cars from the northeast. I'm wondering how those that live in the snow belt winterize their cars to protect it from rusting. I still need to run a Carfax on it to see where it had come from originally. It is an '07 TL Type-S with 55,000 miles on it. From the pictures I've seen, the paint looks immaculate from the outside but pictures don't tell you much about a car until you have a pair of eyes on it. So, anyone near Waterbury that can look at this for me?

Another concern of mine is if I do decide to purchase it from him (who still has a lien on it), how can I bring it with it? There's driving it down which I don't really want to do because I don't want to have any rock chips on the hood/bumper. I did that last time when I had first gotten my car from NJ and the hood and bumper was a mess. If I do drive it down, how will I be able to do so since I won't be able to get a temporary tag? Another option is to have the car shipped. For those of you who had bought vehicles out of state, how did you arrange for shipment? Who did you use and what was the cost associated with it?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011 | 08:53 AM
Racer

Hope this works out for you Ty.
Old 10-11-2011 | 08:54 AM

Drive it down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a waste of a car if not taken on its first road trip in your possession
Old 10-11-2011 | 09:10 AM
My first Avatar....

I wouldn't be concerned with rust too much. I'm in NJ and my 06 TL has 98K miles on it, and it's rust free.

As far as rock chips are concerned - tape the front end with painters tape and drive it! You'll arrive chip free.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2011 | 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

uship.com. Purchased several motorcycles over the years from there and had them shipped through that site. It's almost like an eBay for shipping. Shippers bid on your "job", you pick which one you want and go from there. Never had a problem. Shipped a car to a buyer in CA this way also...
The following users liked this post:
mn2trance (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011 | 09:39 AM
Racer

I say tape it!
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:00 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by saucy
Hope this works out for you Ty.
Thanks dude. We shall see.
Originally Posted by justnspace
Drive it down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a waste of a car if not taken on its first road trip in your possession
No! I don't want to add any more miles to it.
Originally Posted by pttl
I wouldn't be concerned with rust too much. I'm in NJ and my 06 TL has 98K miles on it, and it's rust free.

As far as rock chips are concerned - tape the front end with painters tape and drive it! You'll arrive chip free.

Good luck!
There's going to be some rust on the car due to moisture from rain/snow. Even my '05 had some rust on the rotors.

Thanks! I was thinking about that route, too, since the painter's tape will match the color. I hope it doesn't rain on the way down lol.
Originally Posted by juniorbean
uship.com. Purchased several motorcycles over the years from there and had them shipped through that site. It's almost like an eBay for shipping. Shippers bid on your "job", you pick which one you want and go from there. Never had a problem. Shipped a car to a buyer in CA this way also...
Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep this in mind if I do decide to pursue this further. Have you ever dealt with a seller who still had a lien on their cars? If so, how would I go about getting a title from him? He pays the lien holder, gets the title, and then I pay him or do I pay the lien holder off and receive title when we meet at his bank?
Originally Posted by saucy
I say tape it!
Yeah, tape will definitely help.
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:01 AM
it's a car-drive it

Drive it-I live in NC, bought my tsx from a dealer in PA and drove it home-Loved it.
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:04 AM
Racer

I live in the center of the Ohio snowbelt. I do the basic stuff, as I don't know of any more complex treatments that are effective. I mainly wax it before winter and, when the roadways are being salted, try to wash the undercarriage regularly. For the most part, cars have gotten far better at resisting rust, but it will happen eventually. I have a 2000 Accord Coupe with 184,000 miles and just replaced the rusting brake and fuel lines, but given the environment, I have no complaints about their lasting that long.

I don't know enough about the lien process to comment, but for having a look at it, I'd contact a local Acura dealer and ask about arranging a pre-purchase inspection (it'll probably cost around $100, maybe more since it's at a dealer) then see if the seller could take it there. Of course, you'd pay for the inspection, and it would take some cooperation. Or you could fly up, do the inspection, then either drive it down or arrange shipping. (Worse case, you don't buy the car and spend a Fall day in Connecticut).
The following users liked this post:
mn2trance (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:07 AM
I got the Shifts

Buy painters tape and drive it down. Works wonders
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:09 AM
I got the Shifts

Rust on the rotors is normal. Rust on body panels is unacceptable
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:24 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Drive it-I live in NC, bought my tsx from a dealer in PA and drove it home-Loved it.
I don't mind the drive down. I'm just concern with bringing it down as I will not have a temporary tag to use on it as if I were buying from a dealer. I still have my plates from my old car that I was thinking about slapping on the car, but it's registered to my old car. I guess that's something I could ask at the DMV.
Originally Posted by Carraway
I live in the center of the Ohio snowbelt. I do the basic stuff, as I don't know of any more complex treatments that are effective. I mainly wax it before winter and, when the roadways are being salted, try to wash the undercarriage regularly. For the most part, cars have gotten far better at resisting rust, but it will happen eventually. I have a 2000 Accord Coupe with 184,000 miles and just replaced the rusting brake and fuel lines, but given the environment, I have no complaints about their lasting that long.

I don't know enough about the lien process to comment, but for having a look at it, I'd contact a local Acura dealer and ask about arranging a pre-purchase inspection (it'll probably cost around $100, maybe more since it's at a dealer) then see if the seller could take it there. Of course, you'd pay for the inspection, and it would take some cooperation. Or you could fly up, do the inspection, then either drive it down or arrange shipping. (Worse case, you don't buy the car and spend a Fall day in Connecticut).
Thanks for the info. I've seen it happen where both parties go to the seller's bank to work out the lien issue, get a check cut for the amount owed, then cut another check to receive car from seller to obtain title. Sounds like a huge headache.

The concern about rust stems from wanting to remove bolts from control arm, camber, etc. so that I could swap it out with aftermarket parts. Whatever makes the job of unbolting them easier is a huge plus in my book.
Originally Posted by phee
Buy painters tape and drive it down. Works wonders

Rust on the rotors is normal. Rust on body panels is unacceptable
I agree. Without inspection, I'll have to take someone's word on it.
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:35 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by mn2trance
I don't mind the drive down. I'm just concern with bringing it down as I will not have a temporary tag to use on it as if I were buying from a dealer. I still have my plates from my old car that I was thinking about slapping on the car, but it's registered to my old car. I guess that's something I could ask at the DMV.
I know here in AZ (not sure if it's the same in GA) you can go online to the DMV (MVD here wtf?) and order a 15-day temporary plate just for your purpose. You should check it out.
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Whats the point of having a car you dont want to drive? Thats what cars are made to do
Old 10-11-2011 | 01:05 PM
2011 M37x

Originally Posted by pttl

Good luck!

Every time I drive to NYC or nj I always tape my front end and mirrors so I wouldnt get rock chips. I highly suggest you tape the front also cause of bugs
Old 10-11-2011 | 03:06 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I know here in AZ (not sure if it's the same in GA) you can go online to the DMV (MVD here wtf?) and order a 15-day temporary plate just for your purpose. You should check it out.
Thanks. I have contacted my local DMV to see if they offer a temporary tag for occasion such as this.
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Whats the point of having a car you dont want to drive? Thats what cars are made to do
I thought the tongue would equate to red text as well.
Originally Posted by blacktsx05

Every time I drive to NYC or nj I always tape my front end and mirrors so I wouldnt get rock chips. I highly suggest you tape the front also cause of bugs
Yeah, I had forgotten about the mirrors. I'll have to remember that if this pans out.

Has anyone dealt with a seller who still had a lien? If so, how did you two work it out so that you can have title in hand?
Old 10-11-2011 | 04:28 PM
Racer

Thanks dude. We shall see.

There's going to be some rust on the car due to moisture from rain/snow. Even my '05 had some rust on the rotors.

Thanks! I was thinking about that route, too, since the painter's tape will match the color. I hope it doesn't rain on the way down lol.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep this in mind if I do decide to pursue this further. Have you ever dealt with a seller who still had a lien on their cars? If so, how would I go about getting a title from him? He pays the lien holder, gets the title, and then I pay him or do I pay the lien holder off and receive title when we meet at his bank?

Yeah, tape will definitely help.
lmfao it already has 55K miles on it, no difference adding 2K or more Just drive it down. If youre really worried about pebbles chipping your car, get a nose mask for it!
Old 10-11-2011 | 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Hell yeh. Fly up, pick it up, put gas in it and enjoy the drive.
Old 10-11-2011 | 08:24 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Hell yeh. Fly up, pick it up, put gas in it and enjoy the drive.

This is what I did when I got my E28. Although the drive down to my house was only about five hours, it was still fun being able to drive my new car on a little road trip the first day it was in my possession. I say do it.
Old 10-12-2011 | 09:03 AM
Team Owner

OP - Why not just buy something local? There has to be a bunch of TLs available in the ATL area.
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:11 AM
All About Trance

OP - Why not just buy something local? There has to be a bunch of TLs available in the ATL area.
I've looked locally, but most of the Type-S in the area are AT which I don't want. I prefer MT and the only ones I can find are in different parts of the country. Narrowed that down and then there's the issue with the interior color and that makes it more difficult. I prefer Ebony/Silver over Taupe .
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:22 AM
Racer

Glad to see you found a car man.. I say drive it haha couldnt hurt. And on your way drop that exhaust off at my house
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Check the car for rust but I'm sure you will be fine. My MDX has been in the tristate area all its life and in CT for a few years not and there is not problems with under carriage rust. That shouldn't be an issue at all.

Just tape it and drive it down! Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:25 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by Imabeast31
Glad to see you found a car man.. I say drive it haha couldnt hurt. And on your way drop that exhaust off at my house
I doubt I can put that on a plane, then a cab, and fit it inside the trunk on the way down. I doubt you'd want to wait that long lol.

His lien holder is Honda Financials. If I want to pursue it further, I guess I'll have to get this figured out first so that I can have the title in my hand before I leave the state.
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:34 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by CAgine
lmfao it already has 55K miles on it, no difference adding 2K or more Just drive it down. If youre really worried about pebbles chipping your car, get a nose mask for it!
I was being facetious about not wanting to add more miles to it. My last car was daily driven and I've enjoyed every miles in it.
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Check the car for rust but I'm sure you will be fine. My MDX has been in the tristate area all its life and in CT for a few years not and there is not problems with under carriage rust. That shouldn't be an issue at all.

Just tape it and drive it down! Good luck!
Thanks for that bit of info! I've heard horror stories and one from a co-worker about northern cars. And can I ask a favor? How far are you from Waterbury? If not too far, can you check out the car for me?
Old 10-12-2011 | 10:42 AM
Racer

I doubt I can put that on a plane, then a cab, and fit it inside the trunk on the way down. I doubt you'd want to wait that long lol.

His lien holder is Honda Financials. If I want to pursue it further, I guess I'll have to get this figured out first so that I can have the title in my hand before I leave the state.
put it in your bag.. they'll never notice it haha. and I definitely agree with getting the title first.. that way there are no complications once you get there
Old 10-12-2011 | 12:18 PM
Team Owner

I've looked locally, but most of the Type-S in the area are AT which I don't want. I prefer MT and the only ones I can find are in different parts of the country. Narrowed that down and then there's the issue with the interior color and that makes it more difficult. I prefer Ebony/Silver over Taupe .
What color exterior and price range?
Old 10-12-2011 | 12:30 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by Imabeast31
put it in your bag.. they'll never notice it haha. and I definitely agree with getting the title first.. that way there are no complications once you get there
I'm really hesitant to buy from this guy since he doesn't have title in hand already, but he has the color combo I REALLY want! lol
What color exterior and price range?
My order from best to worst and must have ebony/silver interior are:

KBP
CBP
MRP
WDP
NBP
ASM

Price range is from $25K down.
Old 10-12-2011 | 12:51 PM
Team Owner

I'm really hesitant to buy from this guy since he doesn't have title in hand already, but he has the color combo I REALLY want! lol

My order from best to worst and must have ebony/silver interior are:

KBP
CBP
MRP
WDP
NBP
ASM

Price range is from $25K down.
You're right about it being far to get one. This one is CPO....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 10-12-2011 | 01:57 PM
All About Trance

You're right about it being far to get one. This one is CPO....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Thanks for looking up cars for me. However, I had seen that car during my search and had to pass it up due to it having taupe interior lol. I guess I'll have to hold out until I can find one closer. There was a MRP down in FL, but it has taupe interior too.
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for looking up cars for me. However, I had seen that car during my search and had to pass it up due to it having taupe interior lol. I guess I'll have to hold out until I can find one closer. There was a MRP down in FL, but it has taupe interior too.
I would hold out if I were you. I am not a big fan of buying a $25K car without driving it first or seeing it. It's tough when it is in CT. If I see anything at the local dealers near me I'll drop you a line. There is a black one at a dealer near me but it is more than $25K.
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:58 PM
All About Trance

I would hold out if I were you. I am not a big fan of buying a $25K car without driving it first or seeing it. It's tough when it is in CT. If I see anything at the local dealers near me I'll drop you a line. There is a black one at a dealer near me but it is more than $25K.
Yeah, that's the problem with buying used from out of state. Buying new out of state is not a problem for me. I'm thankful I have another car to use while I'm on the hunt for another car. I may get a S2000 since they're less than $15K now lol.
Old 10-12-2011 | 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Yeah, that's the problem with buying used from out of state. Buying new out of state is not a problem for me. I'm thankful I have another car to use while I'm on the hunt for another car. I may get a S2000 since they're less than $15K now lol.
I miss having that extra car. I had one when I had my CL. It was nice to have. I'd say save the money. Chances are the 08 TLs will come down in price next year from where the 07 TLs are now. They told me at the dealership that they have a shortage of the 3G TL because everyone hated the design of the 4G TL.
Old 10-12-2011 | 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Wow, reading this thread, now I'M excited for you. Best of luck, you'll like the upgrade for the Base TL to the Type S.
Old 10-12-2011 | 04:55 PM
All About Trance

I miss having that extra car. I had one when I had my CL. It was nice to have. I'd say save the money. Chances are the 08 TLs will come down in price next year from where the 07 TLs are now. They told me at the dealership that they have a shortage of the 3G TL because everyone hated the design of the 4G TL.
It's my old car that I had given to my sister so I took it back lol. Nah, she had offered since she has a company car that she can take. And I'm glad to see that the 3Gs are holding their values well. I had missed out on a couple of KBPs with ebony/silver interior while I was waiting to hear from insurance. I'm sure I'll get that Type-S by the end of the year when dealers are ready to unload.
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, reading this thread, now I'M excited for you. Best of luck, you'll like the upgrade for the Base TL to the Type S.
Thanks Steven! I was really envious when I had found out when the UA7s first came out that it could play mp3s! Not to mention, the navi and backup camera are a major upgrade from my base.
Old 10-12-2011 | 09:53 PM
Instructor

Im about to purchase my first Acura from a dealer in Chicago and had the same concerns bring a northern car down to southern humidity but from my research I shouldn't worry too much. And I'm going to probably tape my front end up since it'll be a lengthy 8 hour driver probably.
Old 10-13-2011 | 05:16 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by ACE2790
Im about to purchase my first Acura from a dealer in Chicago and had the same concerns bring a northern car down to southern humidity but from my research I shouldn't worry too much. And I'm going to probably tape my front end up since it'll be a lengthy 8 hour driver probably.
Nice! Congrats on the purchase! I'd rather do the 8 hour drive than the 14+ hours if I were to pick this one up from CT.
Old 10-13-2011 | 10:20 PM
Instructor

Nice! Congrats on the purchase! I'd rather do the 8 hour drive than the 14+ hours if I were to pick this one up from CT.
Haha, ouch!
Old 10-14-2011 | 12:33 PM
Drifting

Drive the thing....and don't go taping it up, looks horrible. It is an Acura, not a 100K+ showcar. You will drive all that way just to come home, take the tape off, and get a huge chip the next day on your short commute. Just enjoy the car, if you buy it. Personally I'd prefer to buy it CPO, you get a better warranty then if you bought new.
Old 10-15-2011 | 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Did someone say painters tape?

Quick Reply: So I Have Located a New Car