Midnight Mystery's Honda Accord Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Midnight Mystery's Honda Accord Thread

Since July of 2015, when I accidentally came accross the 7G Honda Accord while looking for a 4G Toyota Camry used, I fell in love! After that, I started seriously researching Honda and Acura (mainly of that 'era) and this is how I came to find the RDX, TL and Acurazine!

I have riden in a few back in 2015, but never had the privilege or ability to really drive one (except a beater K24 model in a gravel parking lot, after which I got the TL).

Let me say this, I've driven three Accords prior, a beater 1998 F23 auto, the beater 2007 K24 auto and a 2008 K24 auto, and while they all had their qualities, none of these cars were very memorable to me...

After having the TL and having so many dislikes for it, I abandoned it for the Kia, which I new realize was a mistake, but I still wasn't completely satisfied with it...

Recently, I drove a 2012 Lexus IS250 AWD, which I REALLY liked, but it was pretty slow and needed a few modifications to get it to suit my needs better...

As time went on, I decided I really need more power (to make the upgrade worthwhile), so I decided *need* an IS350, and good luck finding a clean 2008 IS350 for a respectable price...

Between the small issues, needing a seat riser to add thigh support, and being overpriced on the used market, I went and looked up 7G Accord V6's on CarGurus again, and to my surprise, I found several clean Accords for MUCH, MUCH cheaper than any IS...

I decided to look at a nice, blue one owner couple, but it had sold, they still had a nice red K24/5-speed but I'm not into that...

I went and found the next two nicest cars and picked one... I went in with the intention to do nothing but sit in and drive the car to see if I even would really like it...

Well, OMG!!!! It is exactly what I was hoping it would be and then some!

The steering was the best I have ever felt in a car! PERIOD!

It was super heavy and tight, like I'd imagine a BMW to be! And yes, it was BETTER than my TL!

The car felt lighter and more nimble than the TL! Visibility was better, the seats were the best I've ever sat in!

The interior was super easy to navigate all around. The climate control was easier to reach, the e-brake is a handbrake on the drivers side!

The brakes weren't as strong as the TL's, but better than the RDX, so that's still good!

The suspension was still pretty soft, but the car was more nimble and lighter on it's feet than the TL! Nothing a TL RSB couldn't fix!

The low-end to mid-range torque was smoother and stronger than the TL!

All in all, I enjoyed the Accord WAY mire than the TL!

It didn't have that big, heavy lethargic feel to it the TL did, and the interior/exterior quality would match any Acura I've ever been in!

Just add some HID's and it would be perfect!

My point is, I've never enjoyed a car so much before!

No, I didn't buy it! I'm not really looking to buy yet, just getting the feel for it! This car had a few cosmetic issues that were too much for me to deal with although the interior was nearly perfect! (headliner was horrible, though) It was at a Ford dealer, so they wanted to "sit down" after, where the Used Car Sales Manager and I had an hour long smart-off, until I left... Their trade allowance was beyond laughable and damn near insulting...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 05-24-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Fuck!

Popular Reply

10-08-2019, 06:45 AM
civicdrivr
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Hmmm, I've driven lots of Gen6 and Gen7 Accords, and compared to any of the Gen3 TLs, they are pretty much inferior in every category. That said, maybe your former TL was totally beat, in which case, I might understand why the Accord felt better.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (05-27-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
How much are they going for now? My Mom had one until she got rid of it for a Mazda CX-3 last year.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Null and proud of it

I find your comment discouraging... That being said, the 07-08 base TL is a heavy car with a soft suspension... The dash cracking, HFL battery drain, and other negatives were enough to burn me out on that car... Plus, it sat too low to tge ground, and the seats didn't moove up high enough for me too see over the dash... Also, I find the TL's interior less attractive than the Accord for some reason. I also don't like preferred leather...

Given this, and the TL requiring premium fuel, I think the Accord is the better bet! I also love the wheels on the Accord! One of my favorite styles!

The Accord doesn't have so many electrical gadgets either, therefor, the interior is less cluttered and more functional...

It's just an easier car to live with, and I think it looks better, to me!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Yumcha
How much are they going for now? My Mom had one until she got rid of it for a Mazda CX-3 last year.
Between $4,500-$8,000 USD... Pending on mileage/condition and of couse, who's selling it!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:54 PM
Null and proud of it

The example I drove was a 2007 EX-L V6.

147,00 miles, if I'm remembering correctly...

Taffeta White with the Ivory interior, no nav, with an accessory OEM pedestal spoiler and fog lights...

Interior was an 8/10 (bad headliner)

Exterior was a 5/10 (hole in front bumper, paint was chalky on drivers rear quater and small area paint was missing on roof behind XM antenna)

Mechanically was 7.5/10 from what I could tell...

Suspension was tight, needed tires badly, slight right pull under hard braking... Transmission was smooth, alignment was dead on!

The internet price was around $5,300, however, in the office, the manager threw out the number $5,900...

He drafed up a trade and pricing sheet for us to see...

At the bottom, it said $5,800 due, so I assumed that meant it would've been an even trade (car too bad of condition for me to accept still), but he kept saying, this is what you'll owe...

Then, he finally pointed out "Trade Allowance... $1,000"....

What a dick....

We argued for an hour until I left... Hey, he could've stopped before he pulled up the video of the 1998 Toyota Carolla crash test...

I walked with pride!

I got $7,200 for the Camry and $5,300 for the TL, so I know I can do better and will be finding my future Accord through a privately owned HONEST dealership or on Craigslist...
Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts

Umm. Wat? Is this a shitpost?
The following 3 users liked this post by charliemike:
civicdrivr (06-04-2019), CLtotheTL32 (05-28-2019), Midnight Mystery (06-16-2020)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:44 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by charliemike

Umm. Wat? Is this a shitpost?
I don't think we know each other... Yeah, I really, REALLY want an Accord! I'm not making this up!
charliemike (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:17 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I find your comment discouraging... That being said, the 07-08 base TL is a heavy car with a soft suspension... The dash cracking, HFL battery drain, and other negatives were enough to burn me out on that car... Plus, it sat too low to tge ground, and the seats didn't moove up high enough for me too see over the dash... Also, I find the TL's interior less attractive than the Accord for some reason. I also don't like preferred leather...

Given this, and the TL requiring premium fuel, I think the Accord is the better bet! I also love the wheels on the Accord! One of my favorite styles!

The Accord doesn't have so many electrical gadgets either, therefor, the interior is less cluttered and more functional...

It's just an easier car to live with, and I think it looks better, to me!
Hmmm, "a heavy car with a soft suspension", well, it is about 180 pounds heaver than the Accord, but all in all, they are both pretty heavy. As for the soft suspension, I've never driven a 2007-2008 base TL, but I'd be surprised if it is any softer than a V6 Accord from that same era.

Last edited by horseshoez; 05-25-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Umm. Ok. Dream car?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
We had a 7G Accord EX-L V6 with nav for many years. It was solidly ok to drive and incredibly reliable. The only concern I had was with the transmission.
charliemike (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Umm. Ok. Dream car?
Too much jambalaya too close to bedtime?
The following 2 users liked this post by svtmike:
alex2364 (05-26-2019), charliemike (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, "a heavy car with a soft suspension", well, it is about 180 pounds heaver than the Accord, but all in all, they are both pretty heavy. As for the soft suspension, I've never driven a 2007-2008 base TL, but I'd be surprised if it is any softer than a V6 Accord from that same era.

The TL hit the bumps harder, but had more float, it's hard to describe... The TL felt more like a low tank, by comparison... The Accord feels softer, but has less float or rebound to it...
Old 05-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Null and proud of it

This thread over on Drive Accord kind of sums up what I'm saying... Read the first few posts...

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...cord-ex-l.html

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 05-25-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Drive Accord.... :facepalm:
Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Ex-OEM King

Having had copious experience with both cars, I have to agree with him. Compared to the Accord, the TL just feels heavier and lazier while the Accord feels more nimble and wanting to play. The TL, especially in type S form, is definitely faster but it feels more like a luxury boat compared to the Accord. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but it is true.
Midnight Mystery (06-16-2020)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Having had copious experience with both cars, I have to agree with him. Compared to the Accord, the TL just feels heavier and lazier while the Accord feels more nimble and wanting to play. The TL, especially in type S form, is definitely faster but it feels more like a luxury boat compared to the Accord. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but it is true.
Thanks! That means I'm not crazy after all...

Between that "wanting to play" feeling and the Accord seemingly being more durable to age/abuse, I feel it's a more fitting car for me!

Our 2007 RDX, has that zippy feel to it I love! My TL just felt too heavy to save it's own life...

My Optima feels lighter, like the Accord, but is still a boat, like the TL...

One good thing about the TL was that it would hook and hunker down in the hard corners, though! It just felt to "boaty" otherwise...
Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Latent car nut

Thanks! That means I'm not crazy after all...

Between that "wanting to play" feeling and the Accord seemingly being more durable to age/abuse, I feel it's a more fitting car for me!

Our 2007 RDX, has that zippy feel to it I love! My TL just felt too heavy to save it's own life...

My Optima feels lighter, like the Accord, but is still a boat, like the TL...

One good thing about the TL was that it would hook and hunker down in the hard corners, though! It just felt to "boaty" otherwise...
You contributed to a thread a while back where you favorably compared the ride and handling of an RDX to a TL (yours), and in that thread it was theorized there was something wrong with your TL. Now you are again favorably comparing a 7G Accord to a 3G TL; and once again, I'm going to suggest the only reason you're so impressed with the Accord is that your TL had been beat to death in a previous life and was not functioning up to spec. While I had no experience with the RDX, the sheer number of neighbors and co-workers I have with 7th Gen Accords means I have a LOT of experience in them. The fact is, the Accord is pretty much the lesser car, regardless of which metric you choose to examine and compare.

Long story short, go drive a well maintained TL and then draw your comparisons.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Null and proud of it

You contributed to a thread a while back where you favorably compared the ride and handling of an RDX to a TL (yours), and in that thread it was theorized there was something wrong with your TL. Now you are again favorably comparing a 7G Accord to a 3G TL; and once again, I'm going to suggest the only reason you're so impressed with the Accord is that your TL had been beat to death in a previous life and was not functioning up to spec. While I had no experience with the RDX, the sheer number of neighbors and co-workers I have with 7th Gen Accords means I have a LOT of experience in them. The fact is, the Accord is pretty much the lesser car, regardless of which metric you choose to examine and compare.

Long story short, go drive a well maintained TL and then draw your comparisons.

I get what you're saying, but my TL was cleaner than most I've seen, had low mileage and lived in the same area that the Accord did...

There is probably a lot of truth to what you're saying, Horseshoez, but I have no desire to have another TL, for me, it's just not what I want... I'm not attracted to the interior, the wheels somewhat look boring, burns premium fuel and has too many things that put parasitic drain on the electrical system.

Not too mention that the TL seats, no matter how I set it, was still way too low and I couldn't see over the instrument cluster... It also sat too low the the ground and caused me great difficulty entering/exiting!

If I were to get an Accord, I wouldn't regret getting it over another TL...
Old 05-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
When I clicked on the title I thought I was going to be reading about someone driving a NA1 NSX or similar, but a 15 year old Honda Accord as their dream car? At least dream about something sporty like an Acura Integra or Honda S2000.

Last edited by alex2364; 05-26-2019 at 09:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by alex2364:
00TL-P3.2 (05-28-2019), charliemike (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Null and proud of it

I don't like 2 doors, plus, the Accord was 12 years old...

Hell, it was just an 8 year old car when I started wanting one...

I want those soft, comfy seats!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
There's a big difference betweeen a dream car and what you want your next car to be.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aman:
00TL-P3.2 (05-28-2019), 1killercls (05-28-2019), civicdrivr (06-04-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:24 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Aman
There's a big difference betweeen a dream car and what you want your next car to be.
In my case, they're the same...

I have/want nothing else... Well, maybe an IS350, but I think I'd enjoy the AV6 more!

I don't like sports cars or supercars... So for me, a Vette, Mustang or GT-R does nothing for me...

Wait, I have one other car I LOVE, the 1997-2001 Lexus ES300... Wanted one of those badly too!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

In my case, they're the same...

I have/want nothing else... Well, maybe an IS350, but I think I'd enjoy the AV6 more!

I don't like sports cars or supercars... So for me, a Vette, Mustang or GT-R does nothing for me...

Wait, I have one other car I LOVE, the 1997-2001 Lexus ES300... Wanted one of those badly too!
You can probably buy ALL of your "dream cars" for less than the cost of a new base model Civic.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You can probably buy ALL of your "dream cars" for less than the cost of a new base model Civic.
I'm sure I could...

I dream about things that are attainable to me, instead of wanting something I can never have....
Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Latent car nut

I'm sure I could...

I dream about things that are attainable to me, instead of wanting something I can never have....
Why "never"? This is the land of opportunity; strive for greatness, even if you fall a little short, you're still doing damn well.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
00TL-P3.2 (05-28-2019), civicdrivr (06-04-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Null and proud of it

Why "never"? This is the land of opportunity; strive for greatness, even if you fall a little short, you're still doing damn well.

I am just trying to get what I need... Greatness is great, but I'm not really sure what I want.

I'm trying to envision a plan to hold me the next 6-24 months, then move on from there.

I'm not really sure where I'll end up, however...

Also, I am mainly attracted to old things. Nothing new really ever warms up to me. New things feel institutional to me.

I'm kind of old fashioned and set in my ways, I guess...
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Latent car nut

Hmmm, bettering one's self is pretty darned old fashioned.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
MM completely oblivious that his TL had blown struts, a flailing transmission, was generally trash..

MM also oblivious that the 7G AV6 is inferior in most categories except where they sourced from the same parts bin.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Majofo
MM completely oblivious that his TL had blown struts, a flailing transmission, was generally trash..

MM also oblivious that the 7G AV6 is inferior in most categories except where they sourced from the same parts bin.

My struts were not blown, my tranny never slipped, it needed tranny mounts, and the old fluid/pressure switches probably, but it shifted well...

It was a two owner, cosmetically clean, and only had 100K miles on it...

It's just not a car that I liked... Damn, didn't yall hear me say shit like it was too low to the ground, and the dash was too high, and shit... The rear cup holders sucked, none in the door... The door pulls were hard to reach, the doors were heavy and wpuld close on you, stuff like that...

I have driven several Hondas before and I feel that they are almost as nice as driving am Acura... To the point where I can't tell the difference, in terms of quality, from behind the wheel....

I just don't feel like having a big, heavy luxury sedan when I can drop the Acura badge and broken HFL and just go with a Honda that is 95% as good as a TL compared to everything else on the road...
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 PM

I'm now under the impression that..

MM never owned a TL..
Has never driven one..
And hasn't even sat in one..
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
Midnight Mystery (01-05-2020), thoiboi (05-29-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Majofo
I'm now under the impression that..

MM never owned a TL..
Has never driven one..
And hasn't even sat in one..
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ething-959190/
Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 PM

I'm well aware of that thread
Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 PM
Null and proud of it

I don't have any pics of the TL and RDX together on this phone to post, but you can see my red Camry in the background of the first pic and I have pics of it and the RDX posted together!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Is this a brake fluid post?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:22 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Man, I was just in Mississippi for work, wish I could have been in that office to hear this conversation.
Midnight Mystery (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Kill me now.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:36 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
The following 9 users liked this post by CLtotheTL32:
00TL-P3.2 (05-28-2019), 1killercls (05-28-2019), civicdrivr (06-04-2019), Hockeyman (05-28-2019), Majofo (05-28-2019), Midnight Mystery (03-10-2020), mrmako (02-22-2020), thoiboi (05-29-2019), ttribe (05-28-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Certified

The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
cu2wagon (05-30-2019), Midnight Mystery (01-06-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I test drove a 7G gen Accord with the V6 and 6MT and was pleasantly surprised as well. It wasn't in the best shape but wow, it really moved. The transmission wasn't quite what I was used to coming from the 3G - longer throw and the clutch was less sensitive but it was still nice. Unfortunately, I was used to the creature comforts of the 3G TL by that point and it just didn't meet that standard but it was definitely a match in terms of performance.

I ended up going with a 2007 TSX AT which was still a step down but better than the Accord IMO. Have you test driven the 1G TSX? It's a pretty nice car. The K24 is a peppy engine, especially at higher RPM's. The TSX's 0-60 is only about 1 second shorter than the 7G Accord V6. It might be worth a try. It's slightly smaller than the 7G in terms of width and length but it's very nimble and super reliable. And prices are pretty good at this point being that it's a 10+ year old car. The only exception is the AC compressor in the 2004-2006. There is a higher than average failure rate on those. But they fixed it in the 2007-2008.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Latent car nut

Hmmm, all of the test reports I've seen on the Gen7 Accord V6 with the 6MT show the car in the mid-6 second range for 0-60 while the 3G TLs with the 6MT are almost universally under 6 seconds. Yes, the Accord 6MT is no slouch, but it is not a match for the TL.

Quick Reply: Midnight Mystery's Honda Accord Thread