Shouldn't have done this. :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013 | 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Shouldn't have done this. :(

First off, don't laugh at me. Secondly, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I was bored and had nothing better to do then play around with some of Acura's golden age cars.. The Vigor being in my 2nd sweet spot of the golden age Acura', The Legend Type-II Coupe being my 1st, I decided to give it some attention in Photoshop. Turns out the attention brought more attraction and with the more attraction comes the desire to own one. Easy right? Yeah.. If only they were still around! These cars are beyond rare, and the only videos of them on YouTube are in low quality and the cars aren't in the greatest shape either.

I've once made a long to-do list with a 1994 Acura Vigor GS 5sp (auto if fine too, I'll take what I can get) about how I wanted to find one in a decent or at least repairable shape so I could fix it up. It would be a great build/ project car since I have a TSX as DD and don't plan to mod it much anytime soon. Anyway, to sum it up, I plan on stripping the Vigor down to its bare bones (minus the drive train and dash basically), re-painting it to a modern Acura color, and loading it down with sound deadening material, insulation everywhere possible, and if possible thicker glass (custom maybe?). It would be nice to add structural support as well. A good amount of modern touch basically. Audio, Lighting(LED Gauges, Map lights, JDM projector lenses W/ HID kit, Custom puddle lights, Custom door handle (in and Out side) lights (like 05-12 RL/ '14+ RLX's and MDX's), and numerous other ambient lighting to freshen the car up. The car would then be pieced back together with as many new parts that I could find, only using the old ones with minimal wear. Seats and leather inserts on the doors would be re-upholstered and the headlining will be aided to as well unless not needed. I want the plushness my TSX's has. Of course there would be tune ups across the board as well as a few slight modifications ei. Custom dual exhaust and Intake. That's really all that available. Notice it has to be custom/ DIY. No support for the Vigor. Luckily the suspension and breaking system is shared with its platform; The 91-97 Accord and of course the Legend as well. To finish it off, it would be sitting on 17x7 04-05 Acura TSX OEM wheels. My exact list from about a year ago goe's as:
My goal in life is to find one. Restore it by:

"Stripping it down.
Restructuring it with internal supports ect where possible and fixing broken welds.
Re-Paint (not maaco)+ Rust protection coating ALL OVER.
Loads of sound deadening material and weather stripping.
Acoustic glass for all windows (Custom made if needed for that car)
Reupholstered interior + newest/ bast conditioned parts.
Better breaks.
17 or 18" rims (Tasteful, not ricey or whatever). Probably a Current OEM form Acura design.
Suspension (for the sake of a slight drop —NO SLAMMING OR RUBBING—)
Genuine Accessories parts.
Light engine modding: Intake, Exhaust, fuel Management, Ignition and over cleaning/ rebuild.
Possibly RWD conversion if a Transmission (say S2000(?) is compatible with the G25a.

Modern touches:
LED DIY gauge mod (Acura Legends and CLs have been done before)
HID's in the Japanese one piece headlights (they came with projectors)
LED interior lighting.
LED taillights (If I could make them decent'y)
Possibly mild looking Dual exhaust DIY 3rd gen TL-S look.
Tasteful sound system with a mostly-stock appearance.
Modern Acura color —I like Brown, White and Black. I'd go with the new RDX's Mocha color. Closes thing to Black but while staying Brown. Dark colors look best on older Acura's."

It's a expensive and timely build, and most likely will never be done due to the rarity of the car (though there is one green one in my home town) and then there is my financial situation and age that factor in heavily. Plus I don't even have a garage to do the work in. lol.

Anyway.. here it is. Some of you may not like it, everyone has a different taste and that's ok. I think it looks pretty good for such a older design.

Now this is where it gets iffy and really custom. I'm not a big fan of the Vigors and Legends bland rear end's, mainly to blame the taillights are just blocks.. To 'fix' it, I've kinda chopped the inner corners off and re-positioned the turn signal and reverse lights (clear). Overal going for a 2nd Gen TL-S taillight look. This mod would require alot of fabrication to the trunk and who knows how the taillights would come together if I cut them. But it's something I like the look of and if I ever do get the opportunity and right tools I might try it.

The Dual exhaust should be pretty easy though.

Ideal interior condition and combo.

JDM Projector beam headlights (would make it Dual projector with HID Hi and Low beams)

If I ever win the lottery, I'll definitely come back to this thread with pictures and progress updates.

Just my late-night boredom post. Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.. But Acurazine doesn't have a Acura Vigor thread as far as I know..
Old 06-01-2013 | 11:39 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

IDK about the rims, but I would love to have that as a side project car.
Old 06-02-2013 | 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

The rims are what I would probably have on hand after putting 19X8 1G RDX accessory rims on the TSX with a slight drop, CAI, Exhaust, Hondata and UR pulleys.
Old 06-02-2013 | 08:00 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I don't think the trunk would be that hard. You may not even have to modify the taillights.

A lot of Jetta people get "Boser" hoods, which essentially do the same thing you're talking about, only on the front end. It seems to just curve over the housings. No modification to the headlights needed:

Dunno how plausible it is to rebuild the taillights with all the lights rearranged, though. But with all your other plans, should be a piece of cake.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Timmy18 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013 | 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Aman.

The Jetta hood idea would defiantly save me from a lot of labor and screw ups, but since the Vigor has 0% aftermarket support, custom fabrication will still be a mandatory choice.
I already knew it would have to be custom, but thanks for the mention. I could probably get some shop to fix one up.

About the actual re-arranging of the taillights I feel like its a easy job. Assuming their is plenty of room to re-position the bulbs then I'm good to go. Drilling new holes isn't a hard job and I'm brave enough to do it. Hell, I'm the kid telling everyone to cut their ILX and RLX bumpers and fabricate some Dual exhausts. I better be willing to drill a few holes that no one is going to see, lol.

I'll add reflective tape where needed and have the plastic lens cleared where needed as well. Maybe custom the lenses for better quality.

The dual exhaust is probably the next biggest project with this car when I get it. I have no idea how much room there is under there behind the axle (assuming I can't have a Y piece before the rear axle due to no room for the 2nd pipe to go to the rear) so I'll have to do all the splitting and routing there. Ideally a RDX - like set up.

The structural support isn't going to be easy either but my idea is to add plenty of roll cage like-support in the fire wall and crumble zones. Especially the rear. If I can get a cage small enough to fit behind the interior trim pieces then I'll do the A, B and C pillars. But the likely hood of doing the structural support is very little, which is why i'm not stressing over it.

Repainting will be done professionally by someone spoke well of. I don't know who yet, but finding someone isn't hard.

Finding the car is the hardest.