Sell Corvette to get 04' TL????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell Corvette to get 04' TL????

I have an 01' Corvette which I Really LOVE! However, I am getting annoyed at only having room for 1 passenger, plus I think I have passed the stage of wanting a rocket on wheels....SO, am I crazy to give up my Vette for a TL? If I do sell the Vette, I have narrowed my choices down to the Infinity G35, BMW 330, or the TL.

What do you think I will like better about the TL than my Vette?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlinn
I have an 01' Corvette which I Really LOVE! However, I am getting annoyed at only having room for 1 passenger, plus I think I have passed the stage of wanting a rocket on wheels....SO, am I crazy to give up my Vette for a TL? If I do sell the Vette, I have narrowed my choices down to the Infinity G35, BMW 330, or the TL.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am the right person to give you advice since I have 2 Vettes (ZR-1 and a 95 Vert), and a TL. Depending on your financial situation, you may want to keep them both. I use the TL as my daily driver, and the Vettes for pleasure. While the TL is a fast sports sedan, it cannot give you the handling and sheer power of your Vette. However, having the extra room, and all the creature comforts, along with a smooth ride for long trips is something the TL will provide. So, consider having both, but if you do decide to sell the Vette and by a sports sedan, I highly recommend the TL over the other cars you mentioned.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Traded in a 2003 350Z (6MT)for a TL. Like you, I also grew up. However, I would be lying if I said that there weren't times that I miss a 2 seater with a lot of get up and go!
The TL is a sneaky fast car (especially the 6MT) that is a lot more practical and comfortable. I drove the G35 AWD and I found it sluggish in comparison, I can't speak about the BMW.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:59 PM
5th Gear

You say the G35 felt sluggish in comparison?????? It has more horsepower and torque than the TL does...How is that?

I don't really want to sell the Vette, but I can't afford to have both. I used to worship my Vette, now I only wash it once or twice a month...I don't know what has happened to me. I just don't get the thrill from it that I used to. The TL has really caught my eye..

Questions?

Does the TL have a Driver Information Center, like the Corvette?
Which spoiler looks best on the TL?
Does the TL look better with or without body side molding?
In my opinion, the standard wheels look better than the 18 inch....anyone else?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Banned

Questions?

Does the TL have a Driver Information Center, like the Corvette?
Which spoiler looks best on the TL?
Does the TL look better with or without body side molding?
In my opinion, the standard wheels look better than the 18 inch....anyone else?
Answers

Yes, only different.

With the high rear end, I chose not to get the spoiler this time. However, the stock spoiler does look nice. The lip to me is too small to make any type of visual impact.

Side moldings are subjective. The stock body style looks as if it already has them, but the add ons do enhance the look somewhat. Again, it is a personal taste issue.

I agree with you on the standard wheels, but then again, I'm not into rims like some people( I do have ZR-1 rims on my 95 Vert though )

---

If you must sell your Vette to buy a TL, consider also picking up a C4 at a good price to keep one in the family. The used car market is in the dumps, and used C3's & C4's can be had for a steal right now.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pices312
Traded in a 2003 350Z (6MT)for a TL. Like you, I also grew up. However, I would be lying if I said that there weren't times that I miss a 2 seater with a lot of get up and go!
The TL is a sneaky fast car (especially the 6MT) that is a lot more practical and comfortable. I drove the G35 AWD and I found it sluggish in comparison, I can't speak about the BMW.
Motor Trend May 2004 Pg.82

TL vs G35

0-60 TL= 6.3, G35= 6.2
1/4 mile TL=14.78, G35= 14.68

Braking 60-0, TL=128ft, G35=111ft

Pretty close in performance, but the G35 has way better brakes.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

i think he said the G35 felt sluggish because he test drove the awd version its a little heavier and from other tests from car mags the rwd performed better than the awd. the HP on paper is not greater than the TL. it has 260hp and 260lbs torque, but most have said that when dyno'ed its closer to the 280+ hp that the Z produces which i am not surprised cause its the same engine. the vette is a nice car and is a great sports car. but if you can only have one car and need to drive more than 1 person around then i would get something more practical. i think all the choices you listed provide a nice compromise between performance and practicality. of course the forum here will be bias towards the TL. you should test drive them all and see which one you like more. the consensus here is that the TL offers more bang for your buck. the tech goodies that come on the car give it an advantage. the interior is favored over the G35 and the hp figures are higher than the 330. its also alot cheaper than the 330 when configured to the same specs.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:56 PM
2004 TL 5AT Desert Mist

Originally Posted by Z Factor
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am the right person to give you advice since I have 2 Vettes (ZR-1 and a 95 Vert), and a TL. Depending on your financial situation, you may want to keep them both. I use the TL as my daily driver, and the Vettes for pleasure. While the TL is a fast sports sedan, it cannot give you the handling and sheer power of your Vette. However, having the extra room, and all the creature comforts, along with a smooth ride for long trips is something the TL will provide. So, consider having both, but if you do decide to sell the Vette and by a sports sedan, I highly recommend the TL over the other cars you mentioned.

Z Factor, I did as you. Kept the vette and the TL. The problem I'm faced with is what goes in the garage. I don't want to park my $30K+ new TL in the driveway. I'm sure my wife would love it if I told her she had to park in the driveway :toothless , and of course, the driveway is no place to park a vette. Oh well, if all of life's problems were like this I'd have no complaints at all.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

keep both
Old 05-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim123
Z Factor, I did as you. Kept the vette and the TL. The problem I'm faced with is what goes in the garage. I don't want to park my $30K+ new TL in the driveway. I'm sure my wife would love it if I told her she had to park in the driveway :toothless , and of course, the driveway is no place to park a vette. Oh well, if all of life's problems were like this I'd have no complaints at all.
Yes, once you've owned a Vette, it is tough to let it go.

My garage is full as well, so I use car covers, and will be building a Porte Cochere that will cover two cars.

I like your outlook, and couldn't agree more.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Be prepared for a serious acceleration shortfall compared to the Vette. I love my TL but find myself hammering it frequently on the expressway. I have less than 2000 miles and gave gone WOT (wide open throttle) probably 100+ times. Everyone here loves to quote magazine performance data, but my auto seat of the pants feels like a 15 second car with a mid to low 90s trap. Maybe my car is not fully broken in yet. Anyway, I like other have mentioned have a sports car (Firebird with a LS1), and the biggest problem was deciding which car gets the garage. My 02 Formula with 3800 miles has the spot , its my baby, they don't make'um anymore either.
Regards,
Old 05-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

Do what I did Buy a TL and an S2000....
Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I have a 2003 Corvette (had an 01 coupe previous) and have a G35 Sedan. I have also driven a TL. As far as the choice of the G or the TL, I'd say personal preference. Both nice cars, both quick.

If I where having to make your choice, I'd go with a G35 coupe - unless you really seriously need a back seat frequently. Also, consider a GTO. Many complain about the bland appearance, but it's a hell of a four place GT, with very comfortable back seat. Another option would be an RX-8. The back seat is actually pretty nice.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by roadman
Motor Trend May 2004 Pg.82

TL vs G35

0-60 TL= 6.3, G35= 6.2
1/4 mile TL=14.78, G35= 14.68

Braking 60-0, TL=128ft, G35=111ft

Pretty close in performance, but the G35 has way better brakes.
that wasn't the 6MT version they tested was it? the 6MT posted 0-60 under 6 seconds(i think it was 5.7) and a quarter mile time of 14.20 i think.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Caball88, what do YOU think?
You have one correct? What do you think your car does in the quarter?
Maybe think is not a correct term, you have probably gone to the track, what did your car do in the quarter mile? What 60' did you get? What kind of MPH at the eighth? I'm pretty sure my car can beat most Ferrari's but just want to confrim with your time slips.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Comon...

those 2 cars from totaly different league...

vette = statement
TL = nice car

dont get me wrong (I have a TL), but comparing those 2 cars is just wrong(period).
Old 05-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Advanced

In Broogilvile, no one can compare so don't dispare. I would just like to say that I would prefer to have a larger displacement motor. Prehaps a 3.6 for the low end torque. I don't care if the 270 peak only bumps a 1 or 2 hp, I would like more low-mid range torque. And for all of those yahoos who keep complaining about torque steer, please drive my car, because the the thing tracks straight (A5), and shifts so smoothly that, abosultely no one (passengers) is impressed with the car's performance. At least the individuals who have rode in mine. My 1989 Cavalier Z24 (auto) had more torque steer than this car. Check your alignment.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ArcticFormula
Caball88, what do YOU think?
You have one correct? What do you think your car does in the quarter?
Maybe think is not a correct term, you have probably gone to the track, what did your car do in the quarter mile? What 60' did you get? What kind of MPH at the eighth? I'm pretty sure my car can beat most Ferrari's but just want to confrim with your time slips.
nah dude i have never timed myself in any way. nor have i taken it to the track and i don't plan to. its my daily driver and i use it to go to work. i do not plan to race it, it is not a super car but just a nice sports sedan. the facts i posted about the TL's time is from a magazine and take it with a grain of salt.