RL DUI crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I guess at your age, maybe. More difficult when you are younger. I spent 4 year away in college and then another 3 at law school. It is difficult to keep tabs on your friends when you aren't around them all the time. Plus I don't need to spend my time going through the police reports to find out who was arrested.

Impounding a loaner car is a stupid idea.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Impounding a loaner car is a stupid idea.

True but providing rental agencies with the tools to check driving records isn't. It's a quite simple process.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
One on the right for me

No, I totally agree with that. I think agencies need to do more in looking into the backgrounds of drivers. From what I know they only require you to check a box stating whether you have been convicted or not, which is pretty useless.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

I guess at your age, maybe. More difficult when you are younger.
Has nothing to do with age. I don't lend my car to anyone I don't know.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
One on the right for me

Neither do I.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

People who get DUI's most likely associate with other drunkards who don't give a damn.
That's not always the case. I have a friend of mine who is an alcoholic, and a repeat offender. NONE of his other friends (who are still friends with him) agree with what he does, or even talk to or hang out with him when he is drunk. We have all screamed at him on sooo many occasions it's like talking to a wall. He hasn't had a valid DL in at-least 6 yrs. He currently has 3 dui's on his record. Ill put money on it that within 6 months of whenever he gets his DL back he will get his forth one. I hope they permanently revoke him if that happens. It sucks because he is one of my oldest friends and I have done all I can to help him. But, you cant help someone who doesn't want or think they need the help
Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Taking the car away is a good start although I disagree with the taking of someone elses car, that will surely unleash a shitstorm of legal problems and will never, ever become a law.
Forfeiture laws are already in place to seize assets (cars, boats, houses, property, cash, etc.) linked to certain crimes; however, they vary between the federal system and the state system.

If the federal and state agencies already are seizing assets associated with drug and white collar crimes, one would think it would only be a matter of time before they institute similar law for alcohol violations.

In fact, I remember reading that Minnesota (or at least I remember a state from up there) has a state law on the books which allows a vehicle seizure for a 2nd DUI violation where the driver blows over a 0.20, and the seizing legal authority doesn't care who the car belongs to. Although, the rightful owner can file a grievance to obtain his/her rightful property back.

Just food for thought...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Um yeah I did. I'm just trying to figure out how these are your "close friends"

I guess I have different friends. I would know if my friends were convicted of DUI.
+1

If you don't know your "friends" close enough to know if they have a drinking and driving problem and/or history, then they are not close enough to lend your car to.

To this day, only my brother and one of my best friends have driven my car unsupervised. Subinf either trusts people way too easily or doesn't have a good definition or a concept of close friends.

Regardless, I hope the Honda driver survives the injuries and comes out okay. As for the Acura driver, I can't say that I really care whether she lives or dies and that's pretty sad.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Yuck...Gah.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripp11
Previous DUI by the Acura driver who caused this accident...do people not learn from their mistakes? If not, perhaps the penalty for a DUI (especially a REPEAT) should be much more harsh.
there was a woman locally that had 3 or 4 dui's and the next one she killed 2 or 3 men. It enrages me when people like this are allowed to still drive.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I have zero sympathy for people who drive drunk.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
a few years ago a friend was having issues and she was drinking heavily and she left a bar we we all at, she left a minute before we all did. I typically am the dd since i drank enough when i was younger so i am aware of the people around me and their actions.

I went out quickly and grabbed her keys and demanded that i drive her home. of course she resisted but eventually we drove her home. She puked in her car on the way home, i am sure of it that she would have wrecked it.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrxyboy
the RL is a mess
lol dude look at the civic it...the rl is nothing to dat...it looks like something feel on top of the civic....how did it get like that?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
One on the right for me

Forfeiture laws are already in place to seize assets (cars, boats, houses, property, cash, etc.) linked to certain crimes; however, they vary between the federal system and the state system.

If the federal and state agencies already are seizing assets associated with drug and white collar crimes, one would think it would only be a matter of time before they institute similar law for alcohol violations.

In fact, I remember reading that Minnesota (or at least I remember a state from up there) has a state law on the books which allows a vehicle seizure for a 2nd DUI violation where the driver blows over a 0.20, and the seizing legal authority doesn't care who the car belongs to. Although, the rightful owner can file a grievance to obtain his/her rightful property back.

Just food for thought...

I may have misinterpreted what was said earlier. Most every state impounds the car the driver was in so they can do an inventory search. It is fairly easy to get back. I have no problem keeping the drunks car until they jump through hoops. I would like to get my car back asap though and not have to deal with the same legal bullshit.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
+1

If you don't know your "friends" close enough to know if they have a drinking and driving problem and/or history, then they are not close enough to lend your car to.

To this day, only my brother and one of my best friends have driven my car unsupervised. Subinf either trusts people way too easily or doesn't have a good definition or a concept of close friends.

Regardless, I hope the Honda driver survives the injuries and comes out okay. As for the Acura driver, I can't say that I really care whether she lives or dies and that's pretty sad.

Ok.

I wouldn't lend my car to an alcoholic. In my case there is shit that a buddy of mine could have gotten into in college and kept to himself. Whatever. I don't interrogate people I know to understand their entire life story. But if you want to come off as that kind of dick then go right ahead.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
How about hitting the problem from another angle, as well.

Free cabs and free return rides too if you think you are impaired or if the bartender/proprietor thinks you are drunk.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stogie1020
How about hitting the problem from another angle, as well.

Free cabs and free return rides too if you think you are impaired or if the bartender/proprietor thinks you are drunk.
this is a good suggestion. people would respond better to positive reinforcement than negative reinforcement.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
that would be good, but like always money talks.

I hope all involved come out OK.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Jail is the only reliable way to keep someone from driving drunk.

These people have chronic alcohol abuse problems and will drink and drive regardless of the consequence. For anyone that has more than one DWI or DUI, jail is the only option to protect the innocent population from these repeat offenders.

There are way too many stories of people with six and seven DWIs who then maim or kill someone.

We need draconian laws to punish drunk drivers.

Does that mean putting them in gen pop with rapists? No. But a minimum security prison with an extended prison stay is probably the only way to get these people out of the cycle of alcohol abuse.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Send them to the salt mines

/thread
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Locally (Indianapolis, IN), we had an attorney for the State go out and get hammered and then blow a red light and plow his fancy red BMW sedan into an innocent male driver. Witnesses at the scene stated the first thing out of this guy's mouth was, "Look what you did to my new BMW!" Meanwhile, the man was dying and passed away from her injuries.

Asshole is only spending 2 years in prison.
Same deal with Leonard Little (Rams player). Back in 1998, he was drunk when he ran a light downtown and killed a mom in her T-Bird. Hit her broadside. He gets out - totally fine - and witnesses said as this lady is DYING he is ranting and raving how she destroyed his brand new Navigator. Pissed off a LOT of people around here, but of course he got a wrist slap and not only did he get ANOTHER DWI a couple years ago, but he's still on the team, which also pisses off a lot of people, myself included. How does that woman's family feel every time he's prancing around on the field, or interviewed on the news....
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Instructor

As far as ignition interlocks, I see an easy way around: grab any Joe Shmoe off the sidewalk and give them 5 bucks to blow in your tube (so to speak) so you can get home. How you gonna guard against that? How bout we install retina scanners in every new car, too - should only add 5 Grand or so to the cost of a new car...

And to the pics at the start of this thread, man, tough to imagine anyone surviving in that Civic ....I bet she is a lot more "critical" than the drunk in the RL. Not only is the car twice the size, but the drunks seem to ALWAYS survive...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Disinformation Terminator

RL driver drunk on Tuesday AFTERNOON.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
lool@ the two drivers -both women-....
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
oh and. that accident sucks
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
wow!

what a mess.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:46 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by MiataNut
As far as ignition interlocks, I see an easy way around: grab any Joe Shmoe off the sidewalk and give them 5 bucks to blow in your tube (so to speak) so you can get home. How you gonna guard against that? How bout we install retina scanners in every new car, too - should only add 5 Grand or so to the cost of a new car...

And to the pics at the start of this thread, man, tough to imagine anyone surviving in that Civic ....I bet she is a lot more "critical" than the drunk in the RL. Not only is the car twice the size, but the drunks seem to ALWAYS survive...
You clearly have no idea how the ignition devices work
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow, those cars are messed up.

I hope everyone will be okay.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
wow, terrible. sometimes i feel bad for any drivers that are involved in blacked-out driving, where decision-making is not really a factor. it could happen to almost anyone who is that overly intoxicated.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Needs to clean up

The RL is built like a tank. I am sure that the passenger side of the car is still intact and in one piece. However the Civic probably had the ACE structure which is designed to disppitate impact around the vehicle and hence all the body panels have crumpled out. Due to the severity of the hit I think even the crumple zone across the passenger side would have also deformed.

Hopefully the occupant of the Civic are able to go after the RL driver to make her pay for her foolishness...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
i agree with you guys on more severe punishment, but i was just in traffic school to get a ticket off my record.

DUI's came up, and here what the punishments are for the FIRST offense:
1. up to 3+ yrs in jail
2. currently its ~$16,000 cash when everything is said and done. if you cannot come up with the money instantly, there is jail time for you.
3. car will be towed because no legal driver at the scene (assuming all passengers if any are drunk.)
4. not to mention you will be a disgrace to your town and to your family, etc.

the punishment is pretty harsh, could be more harsh indeed...but no matter what, people will always be addicted to their bottles and this will always happen because people are fucking idiots only thinking of themselves!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I hope this drunk bitch is paralyzed. I thought the RL was the civic at first until I saw the side shot. I can't believe anyone survived that wreck. I hope the other lady makes it through.. If anything they should take parts from the other bitch to ensure her survival. Relating to loaning out cars, I don't let anyone drive my car other than my gf or parents, and I'd definitely wouldn't let them drive if they were irresponsible. I always purchase a car by its safety rating first for this type of thing. sad yet it'll happen again.

Here's a Pathfinder vs. MDX that happened locally not so long ago. (double fatality / no survivors)

Last edited by Majofo; 12-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
^^^^ Wow. That sucks. So does the one with the RL.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Instructor

You clearly have no idea how the ignition devices work
Well if it doesn't check your breath, how does it work? Politely ASK if you've been drinking? Please enlighten me...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
^I've installed and uninstalled a number of Interlock devices before. The company includes instructions on how to use it in the box it comes with. It's kinda frustrating to use, and it's gross when it's someone else's car but you have to put your lips on the tube and blow pretty hard. You can't use a straw or anything, and I'm sure it doesn't matter who blows into it, because I had to start a customer's car even though they weren't there.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Jail is the only reliable way to keep someone from driving drunk.

These people have chronic alcohol abuse problems and will drink and drive regardless of the consequence. For anyone that has more than one DWI or DUI, jail is the only option to protect the innocent population from these repeat offenders.

There are way too many stories of people with six and seven DWIs who then maim or kill someone.

We need draconian laws to punish drunk drivers.

Does that mean putting them in gen pop with rapists? No. But a minimum security prison with an extended prison stay is probably the only way to get these people out of the cycle of alcohol abuse.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

As the owner of a VW Bus that's the one crash I don't want to be in!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
One on the right for me

Well if it doesn't check your breath, how does it work? Politely ASK if you've been drinking? Please enlighten me...
It does check your breath, you are correct with that...but it doesn't do it just once. The devices that I'm familiar with require constant checks, say every five minutes or something. So unless you want to drive drunk with someone sober in the car, it is difficult to drive. The devices are pretty effective.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

You going to give me 5 grand for my next car? Great knee jerk reaction.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
that lady needs to be executed. 2nd dui = no excuse

Quick Reply: RL DUI crash