AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   reverse insurance scamming?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/reverse-insurance-scamming-979209/)

hondeducation 05-01-2019 01:36 PM

reverse insurance scamming??

ok, this thread title probably sounds confusing, but let me elaborate.

first off, i'm sure we all know that insurance fraud is prevalent and people make false claims all the time (just look at the recession and huge rise in insurance claims if you want to look into it more). however, the problem is when the repair facilities try to rip off the end customer through your insurance (because they know they will be paid usually whatever they ask for). i'll give you some scenarios that clued me in recently.

1. unfortunately for my aunt a few weeks ago, she had front end damage with parts that were supposed to be repaired, but after inspecting the vehicle, I noticed that her radiator support wasn't even replaced when it was supposed to be, yet her insurance was charged for it. her ABS unit was also damaged, but not repaired or replaced. shop received about $4000 reimbursement for shoddy work and an unaligned front end on a 2014 Toyota Camry

2. I recently incurred damage on my front windshield that had a crack spread nearly end to end on my 2004 Acura TSX. I had original OEM (Asahi aka AP Tech) Acura glass, so I called a few shops trying to get the original glass. One shop in OC (5 star rating on yelp) quoted me $695. After I told him I was going to use insurance, he said the cost would be higher and when I asked what it would cost and why it would increase, he simply said,"paper work and waiting for my check." Anyway, I dug through their reviews and found out he bribed every customer with gift cards to give him a positive review. I steered clear from him and went to the next shop.

3. Found another shop in OC, almost 5 star yelp rating, and they were even an authorized vendor through my Progressive insurance. searched on safewindshields.org and they were listed, so I felt confident in the facility. talked to them, but they couldn't get dealer glass, so I asked for what I thought was next best, Pilkington. the rep called me back and said they no longer make their own glass and outsource to China, so then I asked for PGW, and the rep said ok and scheduled me for my windshield replacement the following morning (today)....

...cont from #3... guy showed up to my house and seemed pretty knowledgable after asking him some questions. anyway... after about 45 minutes, he was done and called me outside. glass and install looked great, and then I saw that the glass was XYG branded. I explained to him that the rep and I agreed I would get PGW, but he said he saw nothing on his work order about PGW, or else he wouldn't have started working on the car. supposedly, he said they would have to come back out in a few days after letting the adhesive dry and harden a bit, but he'd have to speak to the facility first.

so I'm assuming this is happening more than we realize, where repair facilities are jipping the customer thinking that they wouldn't know the difference. they could be installing aftermarket parts instead of OEM, 'repairing' rather than replacing, etc etc. has this ever happened to anyone else?? if so, what happened and what did you do about it?

CLIFF NOTES: aunt got screwed by a repair facility after insurance claim. I needed a windshield replaced, became suspicious of bad practice at one shop, switched to another shop, used my insurance and agreed on PGW brand. After install, found out I received an XYG windshield that I didn't ask for. Has this happened to anyone else - getting screwed by a repair facility?

thoiboi 05-01-2019 01:46 PM

I'm sure this is much more prevalent.. It's up to the insurance to recoup their own costs, just let them know and they'll go after the shop for trying to rip them off.

hondeducation 05-01-2019 07:24 PM

I called the repair facility and the receptionist said she made a mistake by not putting it on the order... either way, they are coming back in a week to install the PGW glass. I don't know if it will be more superior or not, but at least it's what I had originally asked for and they had agreed upon.

as for the XYG glass, I took the car out earlier and already noticed some sort of magnification, distorted wavyness in the bottom 10% of the glass. it is most noticeable looking in the corners (because you probably wont be staring down at your hood). i hope the PGW glass doesn't have this...