A rare site

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,273 Likes on 2,640 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
No problem. Since about the age of eight I've been cramming myself full of weird and fascinating (and a lot boring) automotive facts.
I don't feel so alone now knowing that the Williams FW07 F1 racing car used a water radiator from a late 70's VW Golf Diesel.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,273 Likes on 2,640 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
As others have mentioned, it's a Bricklin. The Bricklin was made in Canada by Malcolm Bricklin, an automotive entrepreneur (many feel differently). If I recall correctly, around 2500 were made, starting with an AMC 360 V8, and then followed by a Ford 351. Those lovely gullwing doors weigh over a hundred pounds each (insert red text "lovely"). Eventually the public had enough of Mr. Bricklin's interpretation of a car, and he promptly skipped the country, owing the Canadian government about 23 million. Bricklin eventually redeemed himself by offering another stellar automotive gem to the American public. That lovely offering was the Yugo.
Autoweek had a writeup on Bricklin in the 90's, he was trying to get another car project started. But apparently he stiffed the US DOT for the Yugo safety tests. Somehow he convinced the DOT to test the Yugo since as a importer he didn't have the resources and neither did Yugoslavia to test the car so the DOT ran the tests. DOT never got paid and apparently the US government wanted a couple million from him.

I recall seeing a Bricklin once at a car show, really bad build quality (fit and trim) literally 70's kit-car quality but in a production car
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Autoweek had a writeup on Bricklin in the 90's, he was trying to get another car project started. But apparently he stiffed the US DOT for the Yugo safety tests. Somehow he convinced the DOT to test the Yugo since as a importer he didn't have the resources and neither did Yugoslavia to test the car so the DOT ran the tests. DOT never got paid and apparently the US government wanted a couple million from him.

I recall seeing a Bricklin once at a car show, really bad build quality (fit and trim) literally 70's kit-car quality but in a production car

The Bricklin was terrible. Just terrible. I've been offered two throughout the years and have flatly refused before hearing the details. You're absolutely right that the build quality was similar to someone assembling a poor quality kit car with a Sears Craftsman socket set. I can remember being in high school and thinking how ugly they were. Time hasn't improved their appearance.