AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   A Question For Those Who Work For Dealerships (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/question-those-who-work-dealerships-938983/)

Acuramon 11-21-2015 01:52 AM

A Question For Those Who Work For Dealerships

Maybe silly question but I've noticed that whenever I test drive or buy a used car from a dealership, it always seems like the car smells brand new inside. I know it's the dealerships job to detail the inside so that it is pretty much spotless and they probably put in new floor mats but do they also spray it with something to make it smell new? If they do, I think it's a pretty effective technique. I always find myself thinking, "The previous owner must have really taken care of this car because it still smells new."

I went to two different dealerships while shopping for my just acquired 2010 RDX and had the same experience with the new car smell. Can someone enlighten me on if this was a deliberate dealer technique or if I was just lucky.

neuronbob 11-21-2015 07:34 AM

I do't work for a dealership, but can tell you it's not possible to duplicate "new car smell" exactly. It can be approximated, though. This stuff works pretty well and I'm sure some dealers use it or similar products.

Chemical Guys - New Car Smell Premium Air Freshener & Odor Eliminator (16 oz)

1StGenCL 11-21-2015 08:16 AM

Goddamn, dat RDX :rockycawk:

Will Y. 11-21-2015 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Acuramon (Post 15616852)
Maybe silly question but I've noticed that whenever I test drive or buy a used car from a dealership, it always seems like the car smells brand new inside...
Can someone enlighten me on if this was a deliberate dealer technique or if I was just lucky.

I've had two or three cars that continued to have a "new car" smell for about three to four years. :)

OTOH, the new car smell is probably all outgassing VOC that are bad for people. :doh: :sad:

Five years: probably dealer-applied spray. Similar sprays have been available for decades.

mtiaz 11-21-2015 11:46 AM

I do work at an Audi dealership. I'm not sure if you're smelling a "new car" smell that could be dependent on how well the car was taken care of but we usually use to ozone machine in cars to remove any odors the car has before putting them up for sale

Acuramon 11-21-2015 05:02 PM

Interesting. I'm they probably are using some type of machine to remove any other odors. If I remember correctly, the two cars I have purchased brand new maintained their new car smell for about 3 years. I wouldn't rule out that they may use some type of spray as well although all the things I've ever come across that advertise as new car smell don't really smell like a new car at all.

CLtotheTL32 11-21-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mtiaz (Post 15617018)
I do work at an Audi dealership. I'm not sure if you're smelling a "new car" smell that could be dependent on how well the car was taken care of but we usually use to ozone machine in cars to remove any odors the car has before putting them up for sale

This.

I work at a Lexus dealership and we don't use any chemicals to add a scent to a vehicle. We just use a deodorizer to remove any stench from the previous owners and create a neutral/natural scent.

Rick_TL-S 11-22-2015 07:52 PM

We use a product from Rid Odor that contains a mixture of new car & leather to produce the smell in our cars.

Demonface.92 11-24-2015 10:58 PM

I work at a dealership and almost all of the used cars are thrashed and or smoked in , So we usually spray the "New Car Smell" to make it smell good.

oonowindoo 11-25-2015 01:25 AM

I hate the new car smell.... I want my car to smell like me...

carz0159 11-25-2015 06:33 PM

When I worked at a used car place, they would spray the inside with a bottle of a scented orange smelling spray. They also had an industrial strength stain remover that would take any shit from the inside or engine bay off and leave it looking like new.

Acuramon 11-25-2015 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Demonface.92 (Post 15619747)
I work at a dealership and almost all of the used cars are thrashed and or smoked in , So we usually spray the "New Car Smell" to make it smell good.

Does that spray really smell like a new car or does it just make it smell nicer?

Demonface.92 11-26-2015 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Acuramon (Post 15620429)
Does that spray really smell like a new car or does it just make it smell nicer?

it makes it smell nice , personally I worked at car rental shops , and the dealerships and nothing can replicate the new car smell.

cjTL 11-27-2015 09:43 PM

Most cars, if kept clean, will retain somewhat of a new car smell for a number of years. I remember my 05 Acura still smelled like leather when I traded it in (2013). Fusion still smells fresh too as I rarely have passengers and don't eat in the car.