View Poll Results: What would you buy?
BMW X5 xDrive35d
32.79%
Infiniti FX50S
59.02%
Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Purchasing SUV/CUV: BMW X5, Infiniti FX50S, Volvo XC60 T6? **Bought FX50S (page 6)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Question Purchasing SUV/CUV: BMW X5, Infiniti FX50S, Volvo XC60 T6? **Bought FX50S (page 6)**

I would really appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts on this...!

I recently got married which was what I tabbed as when to change the vehicle. With my wife wanting kids in a couple of years, getting a new ride would be a perfect way of spreading out the expenses (once a kid arrives, a whole new slough of bills for diapers, clothing, etc. etc.)...Besides, the Acura 3.2 CL was getting old and I wanted something new and more practical (4 doors and a larger boot for starters)...

Anyhow, so we've started test-driving some of the 2010 CUVs and our finalists are:

- BMW X5 xDrive35d
- Infiniti FX50S
- Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

My initial impressions are this:

BMW

For the BMW, the drive was not bad. Of the three, it was probably 2nd. Obviously, different going from a diesel V6 to a gas V8 in the Infiniti. So, naturally, it was not as "holy fawk" driving it. Still, it was nice. The acceleration was very smooth...I found it rather quiet overall.

Other nice things was the trunk space. Overall, it's probably ranked #2 again in terms of capacity. It's roomy and will probably hold all we'll ever need to carry. The rear is also quite comfortable and probably the most luxurious of the 3 finalists. There is climate control for the rear passengers as well as heated seats. Very nice.

I played with iDrive and well, not a fan. I was disappointed to find that the Navigation was not voice-activated. But, the salesguy said the 2010 model will have that feature. I also noticed that the suspension cannot be adjusted like the other vehicles (i.e. sport mode)...There is no CD changer. USB port available for MP3 players...

I found the DVD monitor attached to the center console to be kinda weird. But, hey...I'm not really watching anyhow. Other really nice things is obviously the fuel economy. This vehicle will run the farthest without a visit to the gas station. Also really neat is the fact that I won't have to pay for any oil changes and related services for the first 4 years.

Overall, of the three, I think the X5 is the most meh-looking. It is also the priciest but I'm guessing I'll save overall in fuel and maintenance (at least for the first 4 years). There is no collision prevention like the other cars...but, is that a big deal?

Infiniti FX50S

Of all the rides, this was the one that blew me away. Obviously, the 390HP V8 just keeps going and going. You hit the pedal and the thing just takes off. Overall, I quite enjoyed the interior...the front seats were really comfy and I liked the bucket seats.

The technology crammed into this thing is impressive (at least to me). We tried out the lane departure as well as the distance control thing (the car will slow down when it pulls up too close to a car in front). So, those are neat. Apparently, the car will also attempt to stop for you if it detects an impending collision. We never tried this. The voice-activated navigation was also a plus as is calling out what songs to play on your playlist. There is no CD changer; however, there is a hard drive that records the music you insert from CDs...Quite cool.

Rear entertainment is not bad. A single screen deploys from the roof. The back does not have climate control or heated seats and so, the passengers don't really have the comfort of the European CUVs. So, of the three, I'd say the Infiniti is the worst for rear passenger comfort.

The trunk space is also probably the least of the three in the FX. Again, it is enough room for us but then again, you never know either when trying to haul home furniture or etc.

Looks-wise, the FX to me is the prettiest. I know the design is not for everyone but I absolutely love it.

Price-wise, loaded, this car is a couple grand behind the X5. But, maintenance requires us to bring it in every 6000km. Premium fuel required. I don't believe they have the same no-pay-for-4-years maintenance thing that the BMW has. So, buying this one would obviously be the priciest overall to maintain...

But wow, the ride!

Volvo XC60 T6

Very nice looking vehicle. Not as nice as the FX but definitely a looker IMO. And also, jammed with safety features. One of the neater things was the auto-stopping feature which we tried out. It only works at a certain speed (30km/h, I believe). But, still...quite neat to experience it and know that if you're not paying attention at a light and there's someone in front of you who hits the brakes, the car will stop for you.

The interior of the car is decent. It is probably tied with the BMW. The model we tried did not have Nav or rear entertainment and so, I cannot really comment. However, the fact that the rear entertainment has two DVD players is kinda neat...Although, I don't really care about playing 2 different movies in the back honestly. This one does have a CD changer...which I prefer. Navigation is apparently not voice-activated and so, that is negative for me. But, I'll save judgment for later when I get to play with an XC60 with the nav package installed sometime next week.

The rear has climate control as well but it is not dual zone like the X5. Overall, I felt the trunk was the roomiest of the three in the Volvo.

The drive is not bad but overall, the fun factor is probably in 3rd place. Maintenance schedule is similar to the BMW (I'm a bit foggy on this as I don't remember but it is something similar); premium gas is recommended. So, overall, this car would likely be #2 in terms of upkeeping costs. As well, the Volvo is the cheapest compared to the other 2 vehicles.

Anyhow, what would you pick? Opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
fx50s just for the exhaust note

the bimmer for the looks and diesel MPG
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
FX50s is the only one I would trust long term from your list. Volvo has a spotty repair record as does BMW. Check them out. Also, everything I have read says it will take 50,000+ miles to break even on the initial price of the diesel.

If considering everything including interior space, why not look at the MDX?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Cool

Im shocked you even test drove the X5. Always assumed you hated BMWs because of their "image".

Seriously though. If i were in your shoes, I would pick something with a 3rd row seat. Its obvious you keep cars for a long time so this would be future-proof in case you have more kids.

Also im surprised the X5d didnt FEEL as fast as the FX50, the X5 has more low end torque. Better for daily driving around town. IMO

Plus the fuel economy is way better on the X5d. You also get a $1800 tax credit for buying the X5d. Actually i think theres a $4500 EcoCredit till Nov 2nd also. Dont quote me.

FX50 AWD automatic: 14 mpg city / 20 mpg highway
X5d AWD automatic: 19 mpg city / 26 mpg highway

Of course the X5d doesnt have all the cool gadgets. How often does someone even use voice-activated navigation?
CD Changer? Whats that.

With all that said....go with the FX50. Sounds like you were the most giddy over it. In the end thats what matters.

Dare i ask why not the MDX, Highlander, or even the Q7?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Of the three choices you posted, FX50S hands down

...no interest in the MDX or Q5?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
FX50S all the way. That car is pure sex.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Fx
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
The real bottom line is you have a wife, and kids soon. XC60 FTW.....

If having the safest vehicle does not do it for you, then buy her a Volvo, then go out and get a sports car for yourself. In Europe, I drove a boat (Chrysler), while the wife and kids had the Volvo. No questions asked.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MDX is the best kid/mommy mobile going in the higher price range. Remember, you're not going to be driving this thing most of the time, and if you do then it'll be with kids in it so why bother with any boy racer stuff? $8000 off the MDX right now so its a deal.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FX if I can only pick from your list.

Otherwise, I'd take an MDX. They look hot IMO, and have more utility than the FX.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Yummy, I'm still disappointed there isn't a wagon on the list.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
I voted for the FX, but honestly I'd take a loaded Q5 S-Line over all these, and maybe even the MDX, if you're looking for something remotely sensible.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
have all of you FX voters actually sat in the thing?

the view from the the drivers seat is atrocious. the bulges of the hood are in your face, and there is little visibility out that back. ive never felt so claustrophobic in such a large car. i couldnt wait to get out of the thing. and its so bulbous is person...i wanted nothing to do with the damn thing.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
I haven't.

I also heard the interior materials quality is not very good but many people can't tell the difference. E.g. to me the A4 interior feels like it's from a car $10000 more expensive than the 3-series, yet some people find them comparable.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
FX or XC
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Hi I'm the voice of reason.

Don't buy anything new now.
Put away the money you would be spending on car payments.
When you really "need" a SUV/SAV, buy pre-owned. You be much better off financially.

Sounds like you just want an excuse to buy a new car. Trust me, you don't need an SUV for 1 kid. We had two in a Nissan Altima and did fine.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone...

Jesal: ...Yeah, I do perceive an image with BMW but, if they are good, they are good. My biggest problem with them was their recent direction in looks (i.e. X6, 5-series). But, at least the X5 is not bad looking...The acceleration is very impressive but the best way I can describe it from the two times I WOT the test vehicle was: smooth. The X5's kinda feels likes a really fast locomotive. Whereas, the FX just has this major thrust...

I'll also admit to being a technology whore. I love gadgets and gimmicks and so, not having a NAV you can speak to is a big deal. However, the 2010 apparently has it (we test drove a 2009 model).

And yes, your comment about fuel economy and daily driving is indeed what I'm thinking about which makes the BMW such a win. Also, the 4 years maintenance-free offering is very enticing. However, with the extra cost for the vehicle, I'm just wondering if I'm getting that much caught up with the free oil changes and diesel's fuel economy and that a larger engine (i.e. V8) actually works out to be the same in the long run?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

And no, folks...I have not tried out the MDX. I wanted to drive the Q5 but ask me if the Audi dealership I waltzed into had any semblance of service or even appeared to want to sell me anything.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
from that list? FX (especially since it's the 50s and not the 35)

but I'd go X6 first personally
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Smokin blunts w/ Tupac in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my wife drives a 09 XC90 R-Design.

We have had zero problems with the car(its only 6 months old), but the engine in the XC90 is weak.. We got the V6. Not sure if the same engine is in both cars, but I hate the V6 in the XC90.

The exterior is hott, and the interior is gorgeous.

I actually like the X5 the best. Thats what I would go with. Thats what me and my wife should of went with.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Yummy, I'm still disappointed there isn't a wagon on the list.

Tina's very anti-wagon. She just doesn't like the way they look.

However, we did try out the Volvo V70. I had fun.

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
have all of you FX voters actually sat in the thing?

the view from the the drivers seat is atrocious. the bulges of the hood are in your face, and there is little visibility out that back. ive never felt so claustrophobic in such a large car. i couldnt wait to get out of the thing. and its so bulbous is person...i wanted nothing to do with the damn thing.
I've read everywhere that visibility for the rear is not great. And yes, the smaller rear windows and pillars can play a factor in that if you're not seated properly or making good use of the mirrors. I'll be first to admit that the visibility in the FX is the poorest of our 3 choices...For parking, the 4-way camera is terrific as is the parking distance sensor. So, those features counter that issue in a way.

The "bulbs" on the hood are a non-issue if you're seated properly IMO. We both had no issues with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

When you really "need" a SUV/SAV, buy pre-owned. You be much better off financially.

Sounds like you just want an excuse to buy a new car. Trust me, you don't need an SUV for 1 kid. We had two in a Nissan Altima and did fine.
Oh, yes...the voice on my other shoulder. I guess you would be the little guy with the harp and halo.

Thanks for input, man...but, I think we've determined that we do want to buy a new vehicle. Obviously, we're still deliberating (hence this post) and if I still can't pick...maybe pre-owned?

What would you get pre-owned? A used X5...? Used FX45?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

I'll also admit to being a technology whore. I love gadgets and gimmicks and so, not having a NAV you can speak to is a big deal. However, the 2010 apparently has it (we test drove a 2009 model).

Dont expect too much from the voice activated navi from the 2010 X5. When it comes to gadets, the Japanese have that on lock in term of ease of use. IMO

Of course i havent tried it...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

Voice of reason, you suck. LOL. If I listened to you I wouldn't have $140k in cars in my driveway. LOL.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Statler you dunce....why even put up a poll...you are over the moon for the FX.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

What would you get pre-owned? A used X5...? Used FX45?
How many kids are you planning to have?
How often will you need to transport more than 4 people (kids included)?
Do you need AWD?
Is your wife hell-bent on an SUV/SAV?
What are the most important features to you? power/handling/cargo capacity? rate them 1-n

Ok now my choice. We looked at, test drove SUVs/SAVs and when it came down to it, the most important thing to us was cargo capacity. One double stroller took up the entire back of the SUV we test drove. We have three kids so 3 rows of seats was a necessity. In an SUV you basically had no rear cargo room.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Just get the Ody and call it a day.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

How many kids are you planning to have?
How often will you need to transport more than 4 people (kids included)?
Do you need AWD?
Is your wife hell-bent on an SUV/SAV?
What are the most important features to you? power/handling/cargo capacity? rate them 1-n

Ok now my choice. We looked at, test drove SUVs/SAVs and when it came down to it, the most important thing to us was cargo capacity. One double stroller took up the entire back of the SUV we test drove. We have three kids so 3 rows of seats was a necessity. In an SUV you basically had no rear cargo room.
Kids: 2 at most.
More than 4 people: Rare, but you never know?
AWD: Absolutely, the winters here are a biatch.
Wife hellbent on SUV: Of the AWD stuff, definitely. She doesn't want a wagon.
Features (in order): Handling, safety, look, and cargo.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah...I was, then I test drove the darned X5. Now, I have a doubt.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Racer

Hey yummy- out of curiousity, what Audi dealership did you go to? ( I took my car to the one at Mavis/401 for some service - had a similar experience in both the service area and the sales floor)

Anyway, shame on the Audi service because the Q5 S-line sounds like the perfect fit

( and of your choices, fx50- love the look and speed, plus they are a relatively rare sight around town- X5's are like arseholes in the T dot- everyone has one)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Steelers Wheels
Hey yummy- out of curiousity, what Audi dealership did you go to? ( I took my car to the one at Mavis/401 for some service - had a similar experience in both the service area and the sales floor)

Anyway, shame on the Audi service because the Q5 S-line sounds like the perfect fit

( and of your choices, fx50- love the look and speed, plus they are a relatively rare sight around town- X5's are like arseholes in the T dot- everyone has one)
I'm not out in Ontario, SW. Keep going west towards the angry Canadians.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks again for all the feedback so far...Question for the FX50 voters: Is the maintenance (i.e. oil changes every 6K) as well as potential upkeep cost a non-issue for you?

(As compared to BMW's fuel efficiency and free 4 year servicing)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Yeah...I was, then I test drove the darned X5. Now, I have a doubt.
You don't want to drive german...they are built to break.

Repeat the mantra: German cars are the devil.

^^ That should make you feel a bit better :wink:
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Racer

I'm not out in Ontario, SW. Keep going west towards the angry Canadians.
Ah- sorry man- I had it in my head you were in Etobicoke or Downtown TO
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanks again for all the feedback so far...Question for the FX50 voters: Is the maintenance (i.e. oil changes every 6K) as well as potential upkeep cost a non-issue for you?

(As compared to BMW's fuel efficiency and free 4 year servicing)
I can tell you first hand....as well as others around here that maintenance included is ......in fact I miss it.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Audi Q5 with the glass top DROOOOL. my friend just picked one up. i wouldnt be able to sleep the night before if i was about to take that thing for a road trip on a summer day.

seems like the perfect fit too - its hard to find luxury in a non-oversized package.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I can tell you first hand....as well as others around here that maintenance included is ......in fact I miss it.
VW does not offer this...?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

VW does not offer this...?
Yea they do, but I got in the model year prior.....I get a longer bumper to bumper warranty in lieu of shorter "full service maintenance".

That was the trade-off for me.

I'm still glad I went with the longer warranty, but I still miss the BMW "everything included" service. Once you have that, it's hard to go without.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Here let me update the poll for you.

Poll Options
What would you buy?
o BMW X5 xDrive35d (a.k.a FX50S)
o Infiniti FX50S
o Volvo XC60 T6 AWD (a.k.a FX50S)

Quick Reply: Purchasing SUV/CUV: BMW X5, Infiniti FX50S, Volvo XC60 T6? **Bought FX50S (page 6)**