Previous Acura Owner w/ Q's - TL or TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Previous Acura Owner w/ Q's - TL or TSX?

Hello AcuraZine! Its been a while since I have been on here, but it looks like ill be coming back- both to Acura ownership and to the AcuraZine community. So in 2004 I bought a 2001 CL-S, which I had for a year and loved but ended up selling due to multiple problems with the tranny and then the new owners subsequently put it into a ditch and completely totaled it lol. After that I scored a 2004 Audi A4 1.8t for literally peanuts (like 5 thousand peanuts lol). I also own a 2001 VW Golf, so I have spent the last 5 years or so on the VWVortex forums. I recently sold my Audi (for a profit lol) and my Golf is currently broken down (will have a new motor/tranny in a couple weeks).

Anyway, I am now without a vehicle and my wife suggested going back to Acura. I love the idea but want to get some first hand info from you guys - the most knowledgeable group of Acuraheads this side of the Pacific - before I made any decisions.

Basically we have decided we want a 2004-2006 TL or TSX. So far I have only done basic research on Edmunds and priced a few cars on craigslist. As far as our needs, the car will mostly be used for short country trips (we live in rural NorCal), but occasionally will be taken on road trips of up to 1000 miles or more. I like to drive spiritedly once in a while, but I dont abuse my vehicles by any means. Rarely will we be in too much of a traffic/city setting. We don't have any kids yet, but we will probably have this car for a good 3-5 years so I would imagine that I need to think about fitting a carseat We would like to have all the bells and whistles, but things like Navi and Bluetooth aren't going to be missed too much. We would also really like a manual transmission - how hard is it to find these cars with a stick instead of auto? Miles-wise...under 100k for sure but I was thinking more like 50-70k. As far as our budget, we will have about fifteen thousand to spend, but as my wife keeps reminding me, she'd like to see some change from that So what are the respective advantages/disadvantages of the TL and the TSX? Which do you think would be best for me and my wife, considering our needs/situation? I'd really love to hear from someone who has owned/owns both of these models. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Well sorry for the long ass post im just excited to be getting a new car - and an Acura at that! Hope to be hearing back from a few people thanks a lot. Peace!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote for the TL since it has more power, it will give similar fuel economy as TSX on rural roads, it has bigger backseat/trunk and in the used car market both cars can be had for similar prices.

But It is harder to find 6MT TL than 6MT TSX
Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
go for the tl, just wait til you can find a a good 6mt with nav. IMO its just a better car all around
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Welcome back to the forum!

First, The TL and TSX from that model year range you can't really go wrong with either IMO. It really boils down to how much space you want on the interior and cargo. You mentioned you don't have kids yet, well, when you do, having that extra bit of space could prove very handy. I don't know what the interior dimensions are between the two models but it's something to think about.

Second, power. I'm not a person that believes you have to have a V6 (or a V8 for that matter) in a car to have fun. The inline-4 in the TSX is a good motor. It may not be the outputting lots of power, but if you aren't into modifying it, tracking and all that stuff, will it matter getting the V6 in the grand scheme of things? the I4 is a peppy motor, just don't expect a lot of torque which the TL does make up for. So depending on your driving style, you'll need to choose whether or not you want the extra low-end power.

Third, styling. I've always been a fan of the first gen TSX, interior and out. The TL doesn't look bad at all. I've always jsut been a fan of the smaller sporty sedans. That's just me. Only you can decide which you think looks better.

One thing I have heard other's mention is to stay away from the 2004 TSX. I do not know why specifically, but look into it. Probably because it was the first model year for the TSX and had various issues.

You may want to poke around the TL and TSX Sub-forums so you can see what other members have to say about them as well.

Regardless if you end up buying an Acura, FYI, there are a lot of members on this board that have experience with a very WIDE range of vehicles. Hopefully you'll stick around regardless of the vehicle you end up purchasing.

By the way, do you have a twin brother named Chris or Twin Sister named Connie? (inside joke, the other members will get it).
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
You may want to poke around the TL and TSX Sub-forums so you can see what other members have to say about them as well.
Car Talk really does not have many of the Acura fans. You'll have to visit the model specific forums (TL and TSX in your case) to get those type of answers.

Now... if you're looking for an Infiniti or anything European.... then Car Talk is your place!!

Also... welcome back!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all thanks a lot for the responses! I have been spending a bit of time on the TSX and TL forums reading specifically about the respective problems that each might have. I think after doing a bit more looking around, my wife and I are starting to lean more and more toward the TL. It gets almost the same gas mileage but has 70 more horses to start off with. It may not be as quick in the corners (where ill be doing most of my driving) as the TSX, but that can be corrected with a few hundred bucks into the suspension. It has proved quite difficult, however, to find one in decent shape with the 6mt. I think what will probably happen is that we will go around to dealerships and check out private sellers with the intention of buying a TL. But if we find a really nice, low-miles TSX for a good price and I like it on the test drive, we'll probably just pick that up. I think the main thing I have come to learn after reading so much is that I cant go wrong either way - ill be happy with the TL or TSX Anyway thanks for your help and info guys ill be sure to post some pics and stuff of my new ride in the next couple weeks. Peace!