Prelude vs RSX vs Accord coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prelude vs RSX vs Accord coupe

Just wanted some opinions on these cars. I dont think I can swing the 30+ on the TL-S that I want, so its probably between these three cars. I'll keep crossing my fingers about the TL-S, though...

The car is for my fiance and so Ive narrowed it down to three choices, the Prelude, RSX, and Accord coupe. Any other cars for around $23K that you can think of? Celica is too small, done with the Mustang thing, dont like the Eclipse.

The Prelude... I love the outside. I know some of you hate it, but my personal opinion is that it looks the best. I think the interior is super-bland, though. One bonus is that I really like the stock rims on the base model, so I wouldnt replace them. I would get a electron blue and order the black leather. Around 23K for one with leather, sunroof, CD, no spoiler, no bodykit. Discontinued? I dont really care that its the last year... love the bodystyle and the last year thing is kinda cool.

The RSX... front end is cool, but I hate the back end. Simply ugly. Maybe it would grow on me, but every time I see the back end it doesnt seem right. The ass is too high. I like the interior a lot and I've heard its rock solid. About 23K with leather, CD changer, sunroof. Sport shift (probably a must with her) will push it to 24K I guess (type-S), so I'm figuring 24K. Dont like the rims much so I would have to change those. Since I hate the back end and dont think the rims are that great, I like the Prelude and that fact that everyone and their momma wont be drivin one in my area.

The Accord coupe... they are changing it soon, that makes me hesitant. Plus I know tons of people with black EX's and all that... kinda played out, plus I need to get rims. Nice and luxurious... but dont like that its changing and its a bit bland...

So that leaves the Prelude. Any other cars you guys can think of? Just want to get some opinions.

Man, this is what made me love the TL-S. I was just on the phone trying to convince her that we should spend the extra $8K on one. But since i'm heading to law school now for three years, we are about to get married, and she has one more year until she graduates and starts making a lot of money... man... what a dilemma.

All intelligent advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:28 PM
- daemonichris -

fuck the rest and get a CL-S or TL-S
Old 07-11-2001, 10:34 PM
Pro

hmmm, tough one. Prelude is relatively old and who knows if it will go on in life so I wouldnt get one . Fun though , especially in SH form.

Accord coupe, V-6 but only with 4 speed auto.
heavy , kinda slow. nice features .

RSX, great engine , great 6 speed. small, and love or hate styling.

really tough . I would probably get the accord coupe or Prelude since I would need an auto with all this hellish traffic. but it just depends what you are looking for . If it is fun , the RSX is the choice.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:14 PM
Instructor

3 words: WRX

super control, super speed, did I mention super control?

If you can wait 6 months you will be able to get it invoice, with a IMBA membership:
http://www.imba.com/membership/index.html

hell even the normal 2.5RS is better then those cars..

power is nothing without control..
Old 07-12-2001, 12:13 AM
Racer

Its a tough choice, but I think it really depends on what your wife wants. Most women are not into the whole car thing. They just like driving a normal car. But if your wife wants a car that can be tricked out then either the prelude or the Accord. The RSX just came out so they will probably be making some changes next year. The Accord is very nice and holds its value better that most other cars and it also looks great dropped. The prelude is also very nice and holds its value even better than the accord because there are less on the road. It also looks great dropped. Either way you go you will be getting a quailty car. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2001, 12:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Have you considered what she likes yet?

Seriously though... does she have any preferences at all?

What about a used '00-01 TL? It won't be an "S" but I'll take a used V6 over a brand new 4 any day. And I'm a new car type of person! It'll likely save you insurance cost over the sporty 4's as well.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:24 AM
Racer

I agree...wait for a WRX! But if ya dont get the Lude...and get ur wife to stop wippin ya.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Racer

I agree...wait for a WRX! But if ya dont get the Lude...and get ur wife to stop wippin ya.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by nt5k:
<STRONG>3 words: WRX

super control, super speed, did I mention super control?

If you can wait 6 months you will be able to get it invoice, with a IMBA membership:
http://www.imba.com/membership/index.html

hell even the normal 2.5RS is better then those cars..

power is nothing without control..</STRONG>

________
that s 3 letters FOOL!

but i have to agree that WRX STI is the shit
Old 07-12-2001, 03:22 PM
Banned

Stupid question - what's the difference between a TypeSH Prelude and a manual Prelude?? It looks like (from honda's website) that they have the same hp???
Old 07-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I'd take any of the three. I love my Accord but I've always loved the Preludes and now the RSX. I've had a picture of a RSX with ground effects as my wallpaper for the last week and I drool everytime I turn on my computer.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by oonowindoo:
<STRONG>
that s 3 letters FOOL!

but i have to agree that WRX STI is the shit</STRONG>
haha..

yeah the STi aint no joke.. but when it does come here it will be way too expensive.. cheaper to get a "regular" wrx and mod it to 280hp @ cobb.. though the turbo legacy is coming in march 2003, this is the 280hp B4 for those that don't know..

and here is a time slip from a WRX with little mods beating on a stnag 5.0: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=70660
Old 07-12-2001, 03:33 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

The Prelude type SH is simply a suspension and handleing package upgrade. I drove one
right before I got my 97 GSR and it seemed
pretty tight compared to the standard model! They were running up around 27k 3-4 years ago but you could prob. find one for under 20k.

I liked that car back in 86 when you could
trick out the dual side draft carbs and exhaust.

Good luck w/ your search.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:20 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i'd go with the accord cause
#1 there gonna quit making the Prelude
#2 the RSX is the first year out and almost always there's bugs in a car the 1st year out
#3 there easy to put ricer parts on(such as headers,pipes,CAI,body kits and so on)
#4 i don't mean to knock the other two but I've had 3 accords one with 210 thousand miles(sold), one with 180 thousand(sold), and the one i still have with 170 thousand miles. so they hold up well.(atleast i think so). so my choice would be the accord
Old 07-22-2001, 04:45 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

Originally posted by nt5k:
<STRONG>3 words: WRX

</STRONG>

hey bro, that would be three letters, not words. stay in school
Old 07-22-2001, 05:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
<STRONG>

hey bro, that would be three letters, not words. stay in school</STRONG>

I will say.. GO with the prelude... BECAUSE IT IS GOING to be discontinued. that u y u should get it... that s going to make ur car special...... RSX...that s something i will never get... Accord Coupe ... WAY TOO MANY...and NO STICK.. SLOW..... but better than RSX......
RSX is .. ugly .. my opinion... front to back.. inside to outside.. left to right.. top to bottom.. it s just ugly.....
Old 07-22-2001, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

The SH comes with a special drive setup that is the closest thing to real POSI. You can launch full throttle around a corner without the inside wheel spinning..
Old 07-22-2001, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

The SH comes with a special drive setup that is the closest thing to real POSI. You can launch full throttle around a corner without the inside wheel spinning..
Old 07-22-2001, 04:02 PM
Pro

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he is purchasing her the prelude.

The Prelude Type SH vs. Prelude base model is different only, as stated above, in the suspension. While turning on a sharp turn, ie exit ramp, the car will handle better due to the fact that the car will send more power to the tire that needs it most. It other words it will feel like you are "on rails". You could push the car more without the car spinning out or you hitting the guard rail.

Old 07-22-2001, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Dyno_CL-S:
<STRONG>Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he is purchasing her the prelude.

The Prelude Type SH vs. Prelude base model is different only, as stated above, in the suspension. While turning on a sharp turn, ie exit ramp, the car will handle better due to the fact that the car will send more power to the tire that needs it most. It other words it will feel like you are "on rails". You could push the car more without the car spinning out or you hitting the guard rail.

</STRONG>
the SH has an active LSD that can acctually spin the outside wheel faster bring the car around in a corner the like of which many cars would end up in a ditch little rhyme...
Old 07-23-2001, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Or why not just get a used '01 CL-P? New, they go for just under $26K w/o nav, so barely used, should be around $23. Might even still have the new car smell...