Possibly the End of the Line

Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Possibly the End of the Line

Looks like it might be the end of the line for the Camry... I'm fairly confident that the car will get totalled considering the miles and age of it, but I'm honestly happy it wasn't the RL. Oddly enough, and this might be it's saving grace: the hood still opens and closes normally, the passenger door still opens and closes normally, the radiatior core support appears to be non-bent and the frame of the hood is unaltered. None of the drivetrain or frame appear to be bent so far. If they are able to work with the hood, it's a fender, bumper, headlight and corner lamp that need replacement.... I realize that will almost certainly put the car over the edge but who knows at this point...

Kudos on the other drive for staying and admitting fault without me having to pull the dashcam card on him. Police were called and he admitted fault as well on sight without knowledge that I had dash cam footage. Oddly enough, even though the accident happened in Evanston, IL, turns out we both live not too far from each other in Michigan.

All in all, this could have been much worst. Airbags could have deployed, I or the other driver could have been injured, the damage could have been WAY, WAY worst, and it could have been my other car... Ironically enough, with a change in life circumstances right around the corner, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the Camry for a few months now. I was struggling with getting rid of a perfectly functioning winter car. I'm not toying with a replacement until around June, so we'll see what end up happening with the Camry and what I decide I want to do based on the outcome. Picture 2 shows the damage to the 5 series that was hit

I couldn't link the dash cam video directly in the post:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...wPTvh8fdoQcJoU

Last edited by projektvertx; 02-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
mid 90's camry... no way it's being saved...
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
mid 90's camry... no way it's being saved...
Yup She’s done good though. Mom bought her in 99, learned to drive and wrench in it. Lots of good memories. I just hope insurance gives me more than pennies. Lord knows it was worth more to me than the Check that I’ll get.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yeah, she's been good to us in the almost 20 years we've had her! Plenty of good time and good memories with it. What's funny is I had fresh oil for an oil change that I was supposed to do later this week and I was planning on filling on filling up the tank later that night so there is that too

I'm hoping we have an insurance adjuster on the board that can shed light as to how a car's value is determined in these situations? Is there anything I can do to maximize how much I get back? Say maintenance receipts or things of the such? Anyone have any experience they can share for some help

Like I said before, I'm guessing 99% this will be totaled once the insurance adjuster makes it out to see the car. I'm just trying to maximize how much I can get to put into the next car to be honest, especially considering this one was well taken care of!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
even its a old car the adjuster will give you decent if not top $$$$ in the used car market since most of the adjuster is car enthusiast themselves. However you do have company that pay adjuster like crap and they really low ball you regardless of condition of the car.

Geico and State Farm is pretty good paying out and all state and farmer is the worst to deal with. GL and keep us updated.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe
even its a old car the adjuster will give you decent if not top $$$$ in the used car market since most of the adjuster is car enthusiast themselves. However you do have company that pay adjuster like crap and they really low ball you regardless of condition of the car.

Geico and State Farm is pretty good paying out and all state and farmer is the worst to deal with. GL and keep us updated.
Will definitely keep you guys updated on the outcome! I'm waiting on a call from the insurance adjuster and I'm hoping I can be there when he comes out. Hoping it's someone who can at least help me get the most money for it considering I've been with AAA since day 1 without a single claim, except for chips and two replaced windshields on our collective file. Yeah, I've heard some companies get shady, luckily I have AAA, which most people seem to have good experience with, and with Michigan being a no fault state, my insurance will be the one picking up the tab. I'm honestly SOOO happy the other driver admitted fault on site, the officer issued a citation on site for him, so at least I'm not terribly concerned about my record getting dinged, although I'll show a claim on my insurance record, which is unfortunate...

I pulled some autotrader listings to get a ballpark of what they are selling for, in addition to the NADA and KBB values. I also have pretty much every maintenance receipt for the last 10 years as well. Should that be enough to support a value with the adjuster? I've accepted that I'll get none of the money for the mods I've put on the car.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
I’m surprised you have collision on such an old car!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TL-GIXXER
I’m surprised you have collision on such an old car!
Surprises a lot of people lol, quite frankly not that much more to have it on all our vehicles.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:52 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Actually, it shouldn’t be collision that pays on it- the other person’s liability part of their insurance should pay and it will unfortunately be based on current value, which likely isn’t too much. Sorry to read about the collision and it’s really striking how many old Camrys are still on the road- it speaks volumes about how reliable and long lasting they are. You can likely peruse comps on cars.com or a similar site, and look up the current values on similar year/ mileage Camrys to get a reasonable value for your car.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Actually, it shouldn’t be collision that pays on it- the other person’s liability part of their insurance should pay and it will unfortunately be based on current value, which likely isn’t too much. Sorry to read about the collision and it’s really striking how many old Camrys are still on the road- it speaks volumes about how reliable and long lasting they are. You can likely peruse comps on cars.com or a similar site, and look up the current values on similar year/ mileage Camrys to get a reasonable value for your car.
Thanks, seems like a solid starting point. I believe I remember reading something that said Toyota spent the second most amount of R&D on this particular generation vehicle, right behind the LS400.

Michigan is a no fault state, my understanding of that is my insurance would foot the bill no? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
Michigan is a no fault state, my understanding of that is my insurance would foot the bill no? Or am I missing something?
Nope, you're not missing anything; your insurance company pays regardless of who is at fault.

I live in Michigan way-WAY back when no fault insurance was first implemented; the scam which was sold to the voting public was no fault insurance would lower premiums. Yeah, about that; I only lived there a few years after the conversion, but insurance did nothing but go up and up. I was never more happy to move to the Chicago area and have my insurance premiums get cut in half.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Will definitely keep you guys updated on the outcome! I'm waiting on a call from the insurance adjuster and I'm hoping I can be there when he comes out. Hoping it's someone who can at least help me get the most money for it considering I've been with AAA since day 1 without a single claim, except for chips and two replaced windshields on our collective file. Yeah, I've heard some companies get shady, luckily I have AAA, which most people seem to have good experience with, and with Michigan being a no fault state, my insurance will be the one picking up the tab. I'm honestly SOOO happy the other driver admitted fault on site, the officer issued a citation on site for him, so at least I'm not terribly concerned about my record getting dinged, although I'll show a claim on my insurance record, which is unfortunate...

I pulled some autotrader listings to get a ballpark of what they are selling for, in addition to the NADA and KBB values. I also have pretty much every maintenance receipt for the last 10 years as well. Should that be enough to support a value with the adjuster? I've accepted that I'll get none of the money for the mods I've put on the car.

I would leave the stack of receipts in the glove box and point out to the adjuster when he come out, this could help you squeeze out a few hundred buck.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Sorry about your car, glad no one was hurt.
projektvertx (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

Sucks to hear but more reason to put some miles on the RL..
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks, seems like a solid starting point. I believe I remember reading something that said Toyota spent the second most amount of R&D on this particular generation vehicle, right behind the LS400.

Not sure what that means totally since VA is not but I thought no fault dealt with injury payments and loss of work not property damage. In any event you should just give a ring to then and to check with your insurance company. If the other driver was at fault and all documentation even police report states as such your insurance co may pay the claim for you then subrogate to his/her insurance company for reimbursement.

So your insurance adjuster is coming out for valuation not the other drivers?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
If the other driver was at fault and all documentation even police report states as such your insurance co may pay the claim for you then subrogate to his/her insurance company for reimbursement.
That isn't how it works in Michigan; your insurance company pays regardless of who is at fault and there is never any subrogation.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
noooooo! save the projector retrofit!!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
noooooo! save the projector retrofit!!
There are more than a few one off parts on that car I wish I could save. The entire sound system, the TRD Spoiler (Uber rare) and TRD Springs (SUPER, SUPER, SUPER rare, all authenticating paperwork I have since they were brand new) and the GPS headunit alone, I'm sure I could fetch a decent sum for if I were to sell.

Funny thing is this, even though the headlight assembly itself got demolished, I switched the headlights on, and both fired, including the hit side

Originally Posted by horseshoez
That isn't how it works in Michigan; your insurance company pays regardless of who is at fault and there is never any subrogation.
Not sure what that means totally since VA is not but I thought no fault dealt with injury payments and loss of work not property damage. In any event you should just give a ring to then and to check with your insurance company. If the other driver was at fault and all documentation even police report states as such your insurance co may pay the claim for you then subrogate to his/her insurance company for reimbursement.

So your insurance adjuster is coming out for valuation not the other drivers?
Yup, he nailed it! My insurance handles my vehicle's valuating and any money that comes out as a result of the vehicle being totaled or repaired.

Originally Posted by teh CL

Sucks to hear but more reason to put some miles on the RL..
That's probably the one good thing about this

Originally Posted by svtmike
Sorry about your car, glad no one was hurt.
Thank you sir! Honestly, all in all, I'm trying to look at this as a positive. Overarching themes, things worked out in my favor thus far. The timing of everything is a little off, but I'm thankful I'm still here! The car did it's job, and kept me alive, well and in one piece, which above all else that happens here is what REALLY matters.

So what's truly SHOCKING me is what remotely comparable vehicles list for... I'm seeing prices anywhere between 1500$ to 3500-4000$ roughly, which is making my jaw drop... The cleaner, better maintained ones (even WITH the higher miles, which is the real kicker!!) seem to list for higher.... Any way I can make a case for the higher end of values? Seems farfetched to me...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=CAMRY

Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
I was a bit confused by your first pic with the Lexus wheel and I was thinking hmm...what Lexus is THAT.

Glad you're safe and its a nice excuse, so to speak, to shop for a potentially newer car.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Thats stupid. Glad i dont live there

OP - I looked at that pic again it might be a moot point regardless but that core support looks tweaked to me but I have to say the BMW looks like it faired worse in extent of visible damage. Sedans arent holding values much any more especially at this age and mileage theyre not as much in demand as SUVs etc. Not sure advice to give ya except to have all receipts and comps to support your expectations and be ready to argue your points.

Last edited by 08KBP_VA; 02-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:39 PM

OP - I looked at that pic again it might be a moot point regardless but that core support looks tweaked to me but I have to say the BMW looks like it faired worse in extent of visible damage. Sedans arent holding values much any more especially at this age and mileage theyre not as much in demand as SUVs etc. Not sure advice to give ya except to have all receipts and comps to support your expectations and be ready to argue your points.
Yeah no fault blows... Your insurance ends up paying out. But the plus side is this: if you have full coverage, you're really only worrying about the quality of your insurance coverage.

The BMW will most likely get totally as well, what isn't showing is that the door wasn't sitting flush and was protruding near the top of the B pillar. Something is definitely bent frame-wise with that BMW.

Definitely appreciate the advice I know we talked about replacement vehicles, and I appreciate all your advice there too I appreciate your candid and honest advice! Looks like I'm (almost) 100% getting another car now

Spoke with the adjuster today, he's still waiting on the official police report to be sent to him.

EDIT: I noticed what you're pointing out at first too. I checked everything else that's visible and it doesn't appear anything anything really shifted per se, I think that *might* just be the fender and headlight pushing back on that area. Grantedd everything else lines up bodywise, that may be what takes it out. The car still tracked straight and drove itself onto the flatbed but we'll see.

Last edited by projektvertx; 02-20-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by nist7
I was a bit confused by your first pic with the Lexus wheel and I was thinking hmm...what Lexus is THAT.

Glad you're safe and its a nice excuse, so to speak, to shop for a potentially newer car.
Thank you I got those instead of steel wheels to put the winter tires on because the same years ES300 is the same vehicle behind the sheetmetal.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:07 AM
Latent car nut

Agreed.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
There are more than a few one off parts on that car I wish I could save. The entire sound system, the TRD Spoiler (Uber rare) and TRD Springs (SUPER, SUPER, SUPER rare, all authenticating paperwork I have since they were brand new) and the GPS headunit alone, I'm sure I could fetch a decent sum for if I were to sell.

Funny thing is this, even though the headlight assembly itself got demolished, I switched the headlights on, and both fired, including the hit side

Yup, he nailed it! My insurance handles my vehicle's valuating and any money that comes out as a result of the vehicle being totaled or repaired.

That's probably the one good thing about this

Thank you sir! Honestly, all in all, I'm trying to look at this as a positive. Overarching themes, things worked out in my favor thus far. The timing of everything is a little off, but I'm thankful I'm still here! The car did it's job, and kept me alive, well and in one piece, which above all else that happens here is what REALLY matters.

So what's truly SHOCKING me is what remotely comparable vehicles list for... I'm seeing prices anywhere between 1500$ to 3500-4000$ roughly, which is making my jaw drop... The cleaner, better maintained ones (even WITH the higher miles, which is the real kicker!!) seem to list for higher.... Any way I can make a case for the higher end of values? Seems farfetched to me...

When I worked part time at Hertz as a transporter (NYC owning area) back in the mid 90s, we a ton of these Camrys in the fleet. Honestly, I’ve yet to drive a more solidly built vehicle than this generation Camry. Absolutely bulletproof!!!

if I found one on the cheap now (and in respectable shape), I’d buy it.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4

When I worked part time at Hertz as a transporter (NYC owning area) back in the mid 90s, we a ton of these Camrys in the fleet. Honestly, I’ve yet to drive a more solidly built vehicle than this generation Camry. Absolutely bulletproof!!!

if I found one on the cheap now (and in respectable shape), I’d buy it.
I can honestly say that you're not wrong in your assessment! This car truly was well built and well designed. I always had the same impression getting into Camry' of later generations: Feels flimsy and poorly built.

What's a weird twist of fate is my dad had a Gen 2 Camry that got totalled with a similar collision, except it was on the driver side.

Just a quick update, surprise surprise, I'm at odds with the insurance company on the car's value. In an interesting turn of events, I know a certified vehicle appraiser who looked at what's left of the V6 '95 Camrys that have survived and are for sale. The gap is substancial enough that he's putting together an official valuation report on the car. To be continued...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

I remember seeing those camry body style in coupe with V6, and yes they were built like tank for people actually take care of their car.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I had a POS 2004 Corolla blue book was like 4500, insurance gave me double that.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Long overdue update. I invoked the appraisal clause in my policy and hired an appraiser to counter their initial ~1600$ (1200$ vehicle value) assessment (which included taxes and doc fees to replace the vehicle key in hand). Finally received word late today from the appraiser that the total negotiated amount will be closer to ~3300-3400$ once they factor in all the fees to get it "key in hand". The agreed upon value of the vehicle was ~2900$.

Overall, it's a win in my book, even when you factor in the appraiser cost! Honestly, to anyone considering invoking the appraisal clause in their policy, I'd say it's worth the headache if you have another vehicle you can drive. From the day of the accident until the day the value was agreed upon was almost 8 weeks. At some point, I got the distinct impression the insurance company was dragging on hoping I'd give up. I was joking with my appraiser that all they would have to do is see there are 5 cars and 3 drivers on the policy, and do the math that I could afford to wait lol
nist7 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 PM

Peripheral update, I had already begun car shopping long before this settlement happened because I figured this would end in a total loss scenario regardless of the appraised value. I test drove a few vehicles. TBD what the final verdict is, but I just came back from seeing a very promising Lexus IS-F....
Old 04-13-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
IS-F is a BLAST to drive.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Do it!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

ISF ISF ISF ISF lol.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 PM

ISF ISF ISF ISF lol.
If all goes well and everything checks out, I’m taking delivery on it next week. More details to come.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:00 AM
Suzuka Master

fawking noice, looks like a 2010 model? assuming everything is original on the exterior. What was the dealer asking price?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM

fawking noice, looks like a 2010 model? assuming everything is original on the exterior. What was the dealer asking price?

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal.../#post16218789
Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I always liked those cars..Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
needs a merge and a thread title update
projektvertx (04-16-2018)