Poor economy takes toll on Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Poor economy takes toll on Acura!

Interesting read. Check out the linkys in the article too!

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-product-plans
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura is currently considering a compact car replacement for its RSX
Wow, this just shows how lost/clueless Acura is.

Trying to be "tier 1 luxury" selling tiny non luxury performance economy cars. The RSX should have never been an Acura to start with and had a lot to do with the brands tainted non-luxury image.

Why doesn't Acura just try and make one luxury car to start with?

The definition of Acura is "A Honda with plastic upgrades". Someone should submit it to the Merriam Webster website...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Bunch of confused fu*ks at Acura , completely oblivious and out of tune from reality.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, Acura management (like the guy in JnC's avatar) gather around staring at SiGGy's avatar all day and then dream up the wackiest nonsense.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
"Poor styling takes toll on Acura!"

*Fixed title*
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow the only luxury fuel economy brand! Ha. So glad I don't sell Acuras anymore.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
Wow, this just shows how lost/clueless Acura is.

Trying to be "tier 1 luxury" selling tiny non luxury performance economy cars. The RSX should have never been an Acura to start with and had a lot to do with the brands tainted non-luxury image.

Why doesn't Acura just try and make one luxury car to start with?

The definition of Acura is "A Honda with plastic upgrades". Someone should submit it to the Merriam Webster website...
So more crossovers would do the trick? I dont think the rsx was acuras problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I wonder if this is official or not. If not, I'd just shut up and see what happens.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Racer

I usually visit motorauthority daily and so far they have been spot on about everything I read there so I have no doubt this is legit but I can't verify if its official or not.

Siggy--Everything you said is so true but that last comment about "A honda with plastic upgrade" is the part most Acura enthusiasts are in denial about. This is exactly what keeps Acura apart from their Japan counterpart Lexus/Toyota.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Poor design takes toll on Acura.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Has anyone tried contact any higher ups at Honda or Acura....i mean this forum is nothing but complaints for the past 2 years and no one is listening.

Were all here because we've owned and LOVED our Acuras, now they've turned to shit either from horrible designs or being FWD or just flat out being boring when ALL the competition blows them out of the water.

Ill stick with what I've always said. The 03-04 model year is Acuras last stand. Acura use to be good at simple, affordable, technology laden, timeless vehicles. Now they have over the top, horrid Buick looking things with massive grills.

Im ashamed.

Last edited by MarbleGT; 09-02-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
Has anyone tried contact any higher ups at Honda or Acura....i mean this forum is nothing but complaints for the past 2 years and no one is listening.

Were all here because we've owned and LOVED our Acuras, now they've turned to shit either from horrible designs or being FWD or just flat out being boring when ALL the competition blows them out of the water.

Ill stick with what I've always said. The 03-04 model year is Acuras last stand. Acura use to be good at simple, affordable, technology laden, timeless vehicles. Now they have over the top, horrid Buick looking things with massive grills.

Im ashamed.
It seems to me that they flat out don't give a flying fuck. Not sure what kind of business model would alienate loyal customer bases (that in some cases span generations) to go after 'young and hip'. Do they SERIOUSLY believe that they can recover their losses in that segment by recruiting new brand whores? I doubt that....I seriously doubt that.

From where I'm standing, it appears that Honda is attempting to lure the ricer crowd (now getting older) to these downright atrocious-looking vehicles that Acura is currently cranking out. Apparently their specialty is ricers now. Nothing else.

The last decent Acura in my opinion? '05-'08 RL. Not that I'm biased or anything...
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by tsxgoogs
So more crossovers would do the trick? I dont think the rsx was acuras problem.
Seriously? I don't think you've thought this out completely.

Name another luxury car manufacturer that sold non-luxury economy boxes like the RSX...

The RSX was the root of Acura's problems; RSX has nothing about it that's luxurious and it brought in a younger demographic. Only kids liked the RSX.

The last thing most people want when they purchase a $50k luxury car is to be in a shop with a bunch of 16-21 year old kids with huge fart can exhaust systems and wings on their 4cyl cars.

Sure the RSX-S was a spirited car, but it should have been sold as a Honda. Just as the S2000 was.

The RSX does nothing but lower Acura's image to the public as a "Tier 1 Luxury" manufacturer. This was a HUGE mistake they made last time.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
If Acura continues on the path it is on with poor styling and reduction in performance, then there is a good chance that they may have to consider shutting down. In a down economy, I feel that they need to offer some price conscious options, but they seem to forget that they are a HIGHER-END, PREMIUM brand and they need to act like one.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
Interesting read. Check out the linkys in the article too!

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-product-plans

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...385112&page=10

Thought it looked familar
Old 09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Pro

Name another luxury car manufacturer that sold non-luxury economy boxes like the RSX...

The RSX was the root of Acura's problems; RSX has nothing about it that's luxurious and it brought in a younger demographic. Only kids liked the RSX.

The last thing most people want when they purchase a $50k luxury car is to be in a shop with a bunch of 16-21 year old kids with huge fart can exhaust systems and wings on their 4cyl cars.

Sure the RSX-S was a spirited car, but it should have been sold as a Honda. Just as the S2000 was.

The RSX does nothing but lower Acura's image to the public as a "Tier 1 Luxury" manufacturer. This was a HUGE mistake they made last time.
What is the purpose of being considered "tier 1" if they are not making money ? They have tried with its new line up but they have failed. Current designs are what have turned people off from buying Acura's. When the rsx was out it did not stop people from purchasing Rls and Tls look at how many are on the road. I don't know what Acura service center you go to, but I have never seen Rsx's with fart cans annoying people. They should go back to their roots, attracting a younger demographic who are interested in buying their first lux car. In the end people that have the money and want a big named German car will buy the German car.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
rename the thread request !!!!

Poor economy takes toll ONLY on Acura!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

To be fair, this current line up isn't really the so called "tier 1" line up. I believe this won't appear until 2015 or so, and I believe this has been stated in several sources before. IMO, all these models coming out now from Acura are just "in-between" models. Like I've said before, I'd just sit back and relax. Heck, I'm only 22 and just graduated, it's not like I have the money to purchase a $40k+ car now. I have the time and patience to wait. I guess this can't be said with the older folks here.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Not just a smell

...The RSX does nothing but lower Acura's image to the public as a "Tier 1 Luxury" manufacturer. This was a HUGE mistake they made last time.
Exactly. And MB is making the same mistake with their A/B Class. So is BMW with the Mini. I can't figure out why they think its a good idea to have the unwashed, undesirables drag their dirty feet through their Tier 1 showrooms.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
To be fair, this current line up isn't really the so called "tier 1" line up. I believe this won't appear until 2015 or so, and I believe this has been stated in several sources before. IMO, all these models coming out now from Acura are just "in-between" models. Like I've said before, I'd just sit back and relax. Heck, I'm only 22 and just graduated, it's not like I have the money to purchase a $40k+ car now. I have the time and patience to wait. I guess this can't be said with the older folks here.
IMO, if Acura sat down and decided that they are going to half ass it until 2015, then they are the reason that their sales are down. As a consumer, I'm not going to let them off the hook for 6-7 years until they do put out a "tier 1" line up. If the economy continues to be an issue, then we will eventually have a thread titled "Remember Acura?"
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent Dickey Do Nothing an email when he had a job there and he told me to pound sand and to wait great things were coming. Ha ha.

Originally Posted by o2cls

Im ashamed.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
the ZDX was their solution to creating a new flagship!?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Another kick in the guts for performance fans was the cancelation of a new rear-wheel-drive V-8 program.
This wouldve been the one thing I wouldnt cancel.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by swoosh
rename the thread request !!!!

Poor economy takes toll ONLY on Acura!
If you've looked at the earnings of the other auto manufacturers, you wouldn't make a silly statement like this.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
IMO, if Acura sat down and decided that they are going to half ass it until 2015, then they are the reason that their sales are down. As a consumer, I'm not going to let them off the hook for 6-7 years until they do put out a "tier 1" line up. If the economy continues to be an issue, then we will eventually have a thread titled "Remember Acura?"
Well, it depends on how you see it. But given what they have, I'm not too sure what else they could have done instead - perhaps not say anything at all? But then I don't know if that would work either, since if they don't say anything, people would automatically think they don't care at all.

So, saying nothing isn't an option. What else could they have done then? Coupe? But how? They don't have any suitable RWD platform to make people here happy. As a consumer, all you really have to do is stop buying from them if you don't like what they are offering. However, it seems like Acura is just doing fine at this moment. I mean, the drop in sale is in line with others mainly due to the economy. Something interesting, the TL has been bombarded by most people here. However, it's still selling rather well. I mean, looking at the May 2008 sales numbers, Acura sold about 4200 3g TL's, while Audi sold about 4800 last gen A4's. Fast forward to recent months, the TL has been consistent at 3000-3300 units per month. The new A4 on the other hand, is between 3300-3800. In terms of % drop, they are about the same. If the 4G TL redesign is a failure, then one could argue that the A4 redesign is also a failure. But I'm sure most people here will say the new A4 is awesome and stuff.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

I don't disagree with your fact, but I don't think they are comparing apples to apples.

Even though the A4 and TL can be compared in some cases, the fact is that Audi also has the A6 and A8 models above the A4. Acura has the RL. That's it. Audi has also spent considerable money in developing more models that Acura. They cater to more than just the people looking for an imported performance sedan.

In fact I think just by starting the comparison between these manufacturers, you may have made my point that Acura needs to think long and hard about waiting 6 years before releasing any new innovations. Heated seats and sun-roofs will only take you so far.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
CL couple in the future? That'll be the fucking day...

I loved my last one but if the next one is just as ugly as the TL/TSX forget it.

They're killing me...Acura is absolutely killing me.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
<--- my avatar and user title says it all for me.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by trancemission
This wouldve been the one thing I wouldnt cancel.
trancemission, I wish your avatar was at the top of a tall building in Japan and there was an "Ac Man"
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Rooting for Acura

Sig, you have to remember that it was the Integra that started this party. It did well, despite the fact that it was no 3 Series Bimmer. The only problem (well 2 actually) I saw with the RSX is that (1) the Integra was a better looking car imo and (2) Honda decided to make a Civic Si coupe that looked a helluva lot better than the RSX.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^^^^

I don't disagree with your fact, but I don't think they are comparing apples to apples.

Even though the A4 and TL can be compared in some cases, the fact is that Audi also has the A6 and A8 models above the A4. Acura has the RL. That's it. Audi has also spent considerable money in developing more models that Acura. They cater to more than just the people looking for an imported performance sedan.

In fact I think just by starting the comparison between these manufacturers, you may have made my point that Acura needs to think long and hard about waiting 6 years before releasing any new innovations. Heated seats and sun-roofs will only take you so far.
Well, I was merely pointing out that in terms of sales, even with their "ugly" designs, Acura isn't doing THAT bad.

At this moment, I don't think they can be compared directly against Audi and other tier-1 brands. They just don't have enough models.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Well, I was merely pointing out that in terms of sales, even with their "ugly" designs, Acura isn't doing THAT bad.

At this moment, I don't think they can be compared directly against Audi and other tier-1 brands. They just don't have enough models.
I understand.

The thing about looking at number of units sold as an indicator is that we have little idea of what a car cost to make and what the actual profits from a single unit really is. Maybe Acura makes more per unit than Audi, maybe not.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Acura is all but a lost cause. They have the worst looking cars, they refuse to do what it takes to be Tier 1 like they want. They have Zero options for the few cars they do have. Might as well pull the plug on them while they can.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I understand.

The thing about looking at number of units sold as an indicator is that we have little idea of what a car cost to make and what the actual profits from a single unit really is. Maybe Acura makes more per unit than Audi, maybe not.
Ya, we have no clue how much money they are actually making per unit sold. I guess may be they are making some good money from each unit they sell...that's why they are so reluctant to build new platforms...lol...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by knight rider
Sig, you have to remember that it was the Integra that started this party. It did well, despite the fact that it was no 3 Series Bimmer. The only problem (well 2 actually) I saw with the RSX is that (1) the Integra was a better looking car imo and (2) Honda decided to make a Civic Si coupe that looked a helluva lot better than the RSX.
ya

Nothing wrong IMO with the RSX or the Integra; both were great cars. But they shouldn't be sold under Honda's Luxury brand name. There's nothing luxury about them.

In my opinion I think the Legend and the NSX is what made Acura.

I don't know anyone but kids who had any connection with the RSX or Integra.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Rooting for Acura

ya

Nothing wrong IMO with the RSX or the Integra; both were great cars. But they shouldn't be sold under Honda's Luxury brand name. There's nothing luxury about them.

In my opinion I think the Legend and the NSX is what made Acura.

I don't know anyone but kids who had any connection with the RSX or Integra.
That is absolute positive. Could you imagine if they brought the Legend coupe back?! Hell, if they made it look anywhere close to the last model (95 I think) I'd dump my G in a minute (well... they'd probably make it a FWD and I'd have to think about it )