Plebian makes should offer sport suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Plebian makes should offer sport suspensions

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but shouldn't carmakers like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Chrysler, Hyundai etc offer sport suspension packages on every model of car (not SUV or minivans) that they have? I know Honda has the HFP, but it's just for the Accord I think, and they don't really promote it. I think it would be a great idea to advertise this kind of thing, even as a little blurb in a commercial at the end. Saying something about what you gain with the suspension kit. And they need signs at the dealership, and at least one demo car such equipped. And I'm sure Toyota would sell a lot of kits for the mushy Solara. Anyone agree with me?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
From a practical business standpoint, it doesn't make sense when people can get better components by going to aftermarket companies and usually buy them at a lower cost.

Plus, aside from the enthusiast community, most people buy cars based on brand loyalty, brand recognition, or impulsivity. Performance hardly ranks as the major reason for buying a car any more.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
From a practical business standpoint, it doesn't make sense when people can get better components by going to aftermarket companies and usually buy them at a lower cost.

Plus, aside from the enthusiast community, most people buy cars based on brand loyalty, brand recognition, or impulsivity. Performance hardly ranks as the major reason for buying a car any more.
I think they could make money though by making deals with aftermarket manufacturers who would work with the carmaker to design vehicle-specific suspensions. Maybe it would work on some sportier models. Especially at high volume, the cost would actually be less than an aftermarket suspension.

I mean look how many people have upgraded to A-SPEC suspensions rather than aftermarket suspensions when they do their upgrades. I don't think you can get a better suspension for a lower price
Old 06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I think they could make money though by making deals with aftermarket manufacturers who would work with the carmaker to design vehicle-specific suspensions. Maybe it would work on some sportier models. Especially at high volume, the cost would actually be less than an aftermarket suspension.

I mean look how many people have upgraded to A-SPEC suspensions rather than aftermarket suspensions when they do their upgrades. I don't think you can get a better suspension for a lower price
But again, your perspective is skewed by the exposure to the enthusiast community. Take the TSX for example. Roughly 3200 TSXs are sold each month. Of those, less than 50 will likely be sold with the A-Spec suspension. It just doesn't make sense to spend too much effort on this type of adventure.

And the smarter companies just jump into the aftermarket anyway (TRD, for example).
Old 06-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
But again, your perspective is skewed by the exposure to the enthusiast community. Take the TSX for example. Roughly 3200 TSXs are sold each month. Of those, less than 50 will likely be sold with the A-Spec suspension. It just doesn't make sense to spend too much effort on this type of adventure.

And the smarter companies just jump into the aftermarket anyway (TRD, for example).
Yeah I guess you're right. I am biased.