Whiskers
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Is plati-dip the new rice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
I believe that picture of the jeep you posted was sprayed with bed liner, not plasti dip.

And that has become popular with some people who off-road their trucks or want a more durable paint job they can easily touch up. I actually dont mind this.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Haven't been exposed to much car culture outside of utah so far so things may be different. Hoping it doesn't catch on too much though. Still waiting to see a car with stock paint that is well maintained. That would be more impressive considering someone took the time to actually care for their car.

Deep rooted hate for plasti-dip? Hmm maybe. Can't say I hate it if there is a utilitarian purpose to using it. Like during autocross. I just see it used here way too often. But, thats utah for ya.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
Agreed. Plastidip didn't do that, the pressure washer did. Notice too that it is only on the side skirt which looks like a different color altogether. Plastic trim pieces lose paint much easier than aluminum panels.
Or that it was repaired and improperly prepped.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
Haven't been exposed to much car culture outside of utah so far so things may be different. Hoping it doesn't catch on too much though. Still waiting to see a car with stock paint that is well maintained. That would be more impressive considering someone took the time to actually care for their car.

Deep rooted hate for plasti-dip? Hmm maybe. Can't say I hate it if there is a utilitarian purpose to using it. Like during autocross. I just see it used here way too often. But, thats utah for ya.
With or without plasti-dip. Ive seen plenty before and after.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
That would be more impressive considering someone took the time to actually care for their car.
You're looking at that wrong.

Example. Member of my challenger club won his car by entering a contest where his paint design was chosen (he is a well known graphic artist) and he won the car with the paint scheme he designed.

He has since wrapped in Meguairs matte black vinyl...partially because he wanted a non-destructive change , and partially because Mequairs did it free as a sponsorship, and he takes his car to their booths for car shows.
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
You're looking at that wrong.

Example. Member of my challenger club won his car by entering a contest where his paint design was chosen (he is a well known graphic artist) and he won the car with the paint scheme he designed.

He has since wrapped in Meguairs matte black vinyl...partially because he wanted a non-destructive change , and partially because Mequairs did it free as a sponsorship, and he takes his car to their booths for car shows.
Paint scheme's and vinyl isn't a problem. You don't see a lot of that. Plasti dip rattle canned on to a car to save them from having to clean it up and give it a certain look is the problem. I never said I had a problem with vinyl. Just because it still has to be taken care of can can get scratched and just like paint needs love.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Paint scheme's and vinyl isn't a problem. You don't see a lot of that. Plasti dip rattle canned on to a car to save them from having to clean it up and give it a certain look is the problem. I never said I had a problem with vinyl. Just because it still has to be taken care of can can get scratched and just like paint needs love.
I don't think you can rattle can a whole car. I tried my roof once and it had a fuzzy feel to it, sorta like orange peeling
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I think OP just has some deep-rooted hatred for plasti dip
Agreed.

I've seen some pretty good applications. I've also seem some questionable ones. In the end, I don't care what people do to their cars. I don't see it as lazy or cheap or whatever. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but the debate seems pointless. Everyone will have a different opinion about pretty much all mods. Doesn't mean it needs to be labeled...
fsttyms1 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I believe that picture of the jeep you posted was sprayed with bed liner, not plasti dip.

And that has become popular with some people who off-road their trucks or want a more durable paint job they can easily touch up. I actually dont mind this.

A lot of people in the off-road community do that...

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
I don't think you can rattle can a whole car. I tried my roof once and it had a fuzzy feel to it, sorta like orange peeling
I've seen a few. And the ones I did see rivaled a vinyl wrap. You need to have the patience of a saint and hands of a surgeon... but it's doable. The applications I saw were done very well and looked good IMO...
fsttyms1 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
I've seen a few. And the ones I did see rivaled a vinyl wrap. You need to have the patience of a saint and hands of a surgeon... but it's doable. The applications I saw were done very well and looked good IMO...
thats because they were done with a gun......and not a can.....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

You do realize that NOT ALL Plasti-Diped cars are done by a spray can right? You do realize that you can buy it by the gallon, and can be sprayed in a spray gun and or by something like a wagner hvlp sprayer right?
You do realize when sprayed by one of these devices (correctly) it will have a great finish right?
You do realize it can be made glossy as well right?

Where did you get the thought that Plasti-Dip is/was used to keep the owner from having to take care of the car? It still has to be washed and taken care of or it wont last. Most i know that have used it didnt have that mentality. And because plasti-dip needs a little less love its inferior??
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Sure you can. See juniorbeans post below

Agree. Most that use rattle cans have the patience of a 3 yearold hopped up on redbull and try to do it in 1 or 2 coats. To do it properly it needs to be done slowly and with MANY thin coats (like 7 +)
Originally Posted by justnspace
Not necessarily, it can be done with someone with patience and a little skill. Ive even seen actual paint jobs done by a rattle can that could equal/rival a spray gun (considering in the end they are wet sanded and polished).
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Not necessarily. Ive even seen actual paint jobs done by a rattle can that could rival a spray gun.

Originally Posted by fatty
You do realize that NOT ALL Plasti-Diped cars are done by a spray can right? You do realize that you can buy it by the gallon, and can be sprayed in a spray gun and or by something like a wagner hvlp sprayer right?
You do realize when sprayed by one of these devices (correctly) it will have a great finish right?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
It can come out of a can smooth, cause it kinda reliquifies itself when hit with fresh dip. That said I don't think I'm gonna do my car with cans, maybe next year I'll order the pro kit.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
Actually no. Two of them I know for a fact were canned b/c I know the car owners. One took 5 coats. The other 7.

But thanks for your reply!
justnspace (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM

you're welcome!
juniorbean (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Careful, some one you sound like a bunch of snobs.....Put a tool in a morons hands & you fault the moron not the tool.
I have several interior trim pieces done & am in the process of coating my stock Explorers rims.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
RICER!!! jk
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm not a ricer but I'm ricing out my TL cause it's funny to me, more of a Chevy guy and it's my first Honda. The dip is the least rice thing on my car. My 2 spoilers on a FWD car is the most rice.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Where did you get the thought that Plasti-Dip is/was used to keep the owner from having to take care of the car? It still has to be washed and taken care of or it wont last. Most i know that have used it didnt have that mentality. And because plasti-dip needs a little less love its inferior??
No shit. Its not like I don't know that. I've made this point over and over again. People just blacking out parts of their car makes it look like crap. Like they are trying to sport aftermarket parts. Just like blacking out the wheels of a stock car. The fact is that you can drive a well maintained stock car that looks immaculate vs a car that has painted parts.

Like I said end of the day it is the difference between someone who wants to stand by the mods they have done or someone that wants to strip it after a year and get rid of it. Personally I don't see any 'art' behind it.
Can it be done really well. YES! Some car have a nice finish. Personally I don't care much for it. Like I said. At one point it was great. I have seen way too many cars with plastidip all over them and when it common and everyone's doing it, plasti dip is not unique. Given the fact that there are limited colors too I have seen quite a few cars that look really similar to other.

Washed and taken care off, is nothing compared to what a daily driver needs to go through in order to look good. Maybe thats not for everyone but the art of paint care is lost to many these days. I've just heard a lot of people deciding to put plasti dip all over their car just because they don't want to keep cleaning their cars. Its easy to hose a car down without having to dry it and make sure there aren't any streaks in the paint.

When did I ever say it was inferior?!!! I called it rice. Because its common, cheap and the goto product for a lot of people that want a quick result. I have said time and time again it is way common in SLC at least and its mostly common among those who don't want to spend on their cars but just want it to look like it has after market parts.

Either way its just an opinion and fact is that you have the choice to do it or not. The way that most people on most other forums love plasti dip just gives me an idea of how common it is. Most of the beamers and audi's at work with black wheels are an example of this.
Its the same reason I don't shop for stuff that goes onto my car at walmart or autozone. Its gets really common really fast. The way plasti dip has.

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 07-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
The problem is you are focusing too much on the applications of plasti-dip that you don't like, ignoring the applications that do enhance a car and generalizing its overall use as "rice". The same argument could be made for almost every mod. Spoilers, exhausts, CAI, headlights, body kits, etc. Are all of those mods "rice" because a lot of people are willing to sport half ass, cheap attempts to put them on their cars?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
The problem is you are focusing too much on the applications of plasti-dip that you don't like, ignoring the applications that do enhance a car and generalizing its overall use as "rice". The same argument could be made for almost every mod. Spoilers, exhausts, CAI, headlights, body kits, etc. Are all of those mods "rice" because a lot of people are willing to sport half ass, cheap attempts to put them on their cars?
And the same argument is made about those mods almost every time. In a lot of cases its called rice nevertheless.

Its the motivation behind a mod. Can it look good, yeah it can but tell me why someone would black out their wheels or hood or emblems? What is the motivation behind doing that? To look like aftermarket parts when in fact they aren't.

You're right about it being subjective. I get the whole thing of certain applications look better than others. I just find it way too common here. I try not to generalize though.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,180 Likes on 688 Posts
No 3G comments?

Rice threads all end the same, pointless. On the plus side, it has been awhile since I have seen one.
justnspace (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
And the same argument is made about those mods almost every time. In a lot of cases its called rice nevertheless.

Its the motivation behind a mod. Can it look good, yeah it can but tell me why someone would black out their wheels or hood or emblems? What is the motivation behind doing that? To look like aftermarket parts when in fact they aren't.

You're right about it being subjective. I get the whole thing of certain applications look better than others. I just find it way too common here. I try not to generalize though.
What????

The point of doing mods such as blacking out wheels, hoods, or emblems are for esthetic purposes, which has nothing to do with trying to make it look like an aftermarket part, but to make it different from every other one.

Changing the colors of parts doesn't change it's form.

That's like saying: Why paint your honda the color of a Ferrari? To make it look like one? It makes no sense.

The definitions of a ricer are basically based on opinions, just some cars/drivers are already self- defined and obvious.

^same wheels as the eclipse from 2fast2furious

You hate plasti dip way too much. Changing the colors of parts and having the capability of removing it easily is a great concept and has been working out very well in the automotive industry. Maybe you're jealous of Fonzie's arms.

Last edited by HairyMonkey019; 07-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.
juniorbean (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

^Fonzie's built. I hate my arms. Maybe someday!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

What????

The point of doing mods such as blacking out wheels, hoods, or emblems are for esthetic purposes, which has nothing to do with trying to make it look like an aftermarket part, but to make it different from every other one.

Changing the colors of parts doesn't change it's form.

That's like saying: Why paint your honda the color of a Ferrari? To make it look like one? It makes no sense.

The definitions of a ricer are basically based on opinions, just some cars/drivers are already self- defined and obvious.

You hate plasti dip way too much. Changing the colors of parts and having the capability of removing it easily is a great concept and has been working out very well in the automotive industry. Maybe you're jealous of Fonzie's arms.
Agreed and well said. Speaking of things that make no sense... this thread really makes no sense. But here we are 65+ replies later
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

You hate plasti dip way too much.
I don't hate plasti dip really. I just hate what its become. Just how it is everywhere too. Anyways I got a lot of good arguments and it's changed my view a little. My car isn't ever going to see any of it except maybe the wheel wells.
I don't hate it as much as I hate knock off parts and replica wheels. That still has a special place in my heart.
Beyond that good job on convincing me slightly.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
What's with all this 'anything in moderation is OK' BS? It's either rice, or it isn't.

Personally, I think if it doesn't make the car go faster, corner better or stop quicker, it's fucking rice.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Add poll?
d1sturb3d119 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Either, I've seen only matte finish. Most folks just hose it down and that's that. Nothing more than that. I love matte finish but in vinyl. More you can do to make it pop just because of the products available. Haven't ever seen glossy finish plasti dip though.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
What's with all this 'anything in moderation is OK' BS? It's either rice, or it isn't.

Personally, I think if it doesn't make the car go faster, corner better or stop quicker, it's fucking rice.
Yeah. I am like that to a certain extent. I do like to spruce up a couple things here and there. Any mods I've spent time on need to make the car better than stock, not worse. I came to that conclusion recently though.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
Add poll?
Any mods here that can help out? Can a poll be added on now?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Done
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Did mine couple months ago, looks great and I get a lot of compliments.

Name:  photo2_zps59a62162.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  90.9 KB
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Done
Merci!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin17112
Did mine couple months ago, looks great and I get a lot of compliments.

Looks good. Still feel like it would look sick cleaned up or just not black. But it must not be very common where you're at.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
^trust me, it looks a lot better on the road.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Either, I've seen only matte finish. Most folks just hose it down and that's that. Nothing more than that. I love matte finish but in vinyl. More you can do to make it pop just because of the products available. Haven't ever seen glossy finish plasti dip though.
I'd forgotten to mention it, I haven't seen it myself in person either but there is a product by plasti dip called glossifier. Gives it a clearcoated appearance.

Seriously now, it's just an alternative to vinyl. If you get a good gun, you can produce results that overall are better and easier than vinyl. The modding community is built upon DIY. I would say most people who mod their cars prefer to do it themselves if possible.

If the car has been repainted, there is a chance of vinyl wrap lifting the paint up as well. In reality it just depends on how well the vehicle was prepared during the repaint.
d1sturb3d119 (07-23-2013)