Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by JRock

"cab forward"
Cab, correct. Sorry

And I totally agree about the GTO - interior looks like it could be nice but when you actually get in the car and touch the pieces and try to turn the knobs, all that disappears and the reality of the low quality interior becomes apparent. So that was a good comparison comment because I can relate to that and it helps me understand exactly what you mean regarding the RX330's interior.
Glad to see you get my point completely. Was not the GTO a little bit of a let down when you "felt" the interior "live" ? I expected more from the photos. Good lesson though, cos that tells you not to draw any definitive conclusions from photos. Like you cant draw conclusions about how cars drive from reading mag reviews.

Also, "Open" and "Close" buttons? That's sooooo tacky!

I know! I totally agree! I did not say anything about that because I was already, way too critical.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:53 PM
drop em like its hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great revoew gav. IMO RX is abit feminine... as some other members stated. what is your opinion on the X5 or the FX 35compared to the RX330? MDX? i'm considering getting a SUV, not sure which one. your insight would be appreciated
Old 05-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Great review Gav! (as always )

I have to totally agree with your review. I have a lot of experience driving the both the RX330 and RX300. My gf's parents have a last year model RX300 (they didn't like the new design) and my friend has a RX330. I've driven and been driven in both numerous times.

The RX300 has a better quality interior, feels less cramped, and has a quieter/smoother engine. The RX330 has a significantly better suspension (i.e. more compliant and handles better), and the interior looks better. It did feel slightly faster than the RX300, but not much at all. I'd prefer the 3L engine due to it's smoothness. Finally, I also agree with the transmission. The RX330's can be jerky if driven agressively.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Racer

The RX300 is definitely a better built car. I haven't really tested drive the 330, but i drove the rx300 all the time. Yes the 300 is very refined and comfortable. I think the reason why the 330 is diappointing has a lot to do with the fact that they are not made in japan anymore. Yes, the new rx330 are made in CANADA. There is no comparision when it comes to origin of make of vehicles. I am suprised that you had problems with the rx300, but my experience was almost perfect except the fact i pushed too hard on the tranny and it frequently required tranny service LOL
Old 05-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by rezurex
great revoew gav. IMO RX is abit feminine... as some other members stated. what is your opinion on the X5 or the FX 35compared to the RX330? MDX? i'm considering getting a SUV, not sure which one. your insight would be appreciated
Thanks.

I have not driven the X5 nor the FX, so I cant comment. Let alone lived with it for a couple of days. Test drive them and you'll know more than I do.

I can say a few things about he X5 from being in it in shows and at the dealer's. Very limited interior room overall as compared to outside dimentions (which was enough for me to ban it from my list when I were cross-shopping it before getting our RX300). I love the interior design and materials used, though not as much its utility.

In my opinion, way too expensive for what you get.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by skyline
The RX300 is definitely a better built car. I haven't really tested drive the 330, but i drove the rx300 all the time. Yes the 300 is very refined and comfortable. I think the reason why the 330 is diappointing has a lot to do with the fact that they are not made in japan anymore. Yes, the new rx330 are made in CANADA. There is no comparision when it comes to origin of make of vehicles. I am suprised that you had problems with the rx300, but my experience was almost perfect except the fact i pushed too hard on the tranny and it frequently required tranny service LOL
Oh yes you're right! They are assembled in Canada now. And I am also under the impression that, that will soon change as well. Not that they will stop making them there, but will add capacity from Japan, or another country... Do I remember correctly?

Also, I forgot to mention that the way the doors close in the case of the 330 is nowhere near the "thump!" you get in the case of my 300. Big difference. I would not be exagurating if I said that the 330 reminded me of the feel and sound Chevys make when I rent them. It's that bad!
Old 05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

I didn't realize they switched from aluminum to plastic in the new model, that is definately lame.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Pro

Originally posted by gavriil
The new chassis for sure provides for more room inside. Your V6 is the 3 liter right?
Right, the 3.0 engine. Still pretty peppy for an SUV. Wish it got a little better mileage on the road. By CL-S get 27-8 and the Highlander gets 20-2. Must be the gearing and the 4 speed. Did get a free 8 year warranty on the engine for oil gelling problems.
I thought the 2001CL-S was worth 6-7thousand more than an accord; but the 2002 RX300 on the old chasis was not worth 7-8 more than the more modern 2002 Highlander which was built on the new chasis.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme
I didn't realize they switched from aluminum to plastic in the new model, that is definately lame.
There you go.

That's exactly my car's interior. I was looking for pics the other day to no avail. Thanks heyitsme.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by louisn
Right, the 3.0 engine. Still pretty peppy for an SUV. Wish it got a little better mileage on the road. By CL-S get 27-8 and the Highlander gets 20-2. Must be the gearing and the 4 speed.
Not sure if the tranny is the same as in my RX but, yes the engine is peppy for its size. And in the RX's case, it makes more power than in the Highlander's.

Did get a free 8 year warranty on the engine for oil gelling problems.
Me too, but I dont think I will need that warranty ever. Mobil 1 every 5K miles and 95% highway with one person in the car. The engine should last for a million miles.

I thought the 2001CL-S was worth 6-7thousand more than an accord; but the 2002 RX300 on the old chasis was not worth 7-8 more than the more modern 2002 Highlander which was built on the new chasis.
I have not driven a highlander ever. Did you happen to test-drive the 02 RX back then? How about a Silversport? The suspension is quite different as compared to the base model.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Drifting

actually, my dads car crapped on him yesterday and he is looking at this car or a used cert rx300 or a toyota highlander. Great review and perfect timing!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ouch my bad fellahs, i just thought gav's review could have been better ....
Old 05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by CLean B
ouch my bad fellahs, i just thought gav's review could have been better ....
probably could have been and it is a little biased,but itis better than nothing and way mroe than i would have done.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro

Originally posted by gavriil
Not sure if the tranny is the same as in my RX but, yes the engine is peppy for its size. And in the RX's case, it makes more power than in the Highlander's.

Me too, but I dont think I will need that warranty ever. Mobil 1 every 5K miles and 95% highway with one person in the car. The engine should last for a million miles.

I have not driven a highlander ever. Did you happen to test-drive the 02 RX back then? How about a Silversport? The suspension is quite different as compared to the base model.
Yes, we took a test drive the RX back in 2002. I sat in the special edition model which was nice; but I drove the regular model and found it was much looser and spongier than the Highlander. Plus I'm a cheap SOB and the $7-8000 difference made it a no-brainer. The Highlander was built in Japan right next to the RX in the same factory BTW.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Fo Rilla!

I own an RX330. I can't say I agree with any part of this review. It's a great SUV. No question. I've owned two Lexus' (including the RX330 ) and they have both been the highest quality vehicles I've owned. Not to mention the level of service Lexus offers. I get compliments on it all the time. In fact it prompted my cousin to trade up her X5 to an LX 470. Big contrast in overall quality.

Chalk it up to difference in opinion.

Not as fun as my CLS though.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by evilstorm
probably could have been and it is a little biased,but itis better than nothing and way mroe than i would have done.

My reviews are never biased.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by h2o467
I own an RX330. I can't say I agree with any part of this review.
You dont agree that the 330 goes straight even above 85mph?

But seriously, have you sat in an RX300 Silversport and checked out the interior? Or even a base model would do it.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What about the MDX? Is it forgotten and over with already?
I agree the RX seems for a woman, the MDX seems more manly!
I'm not a truck/SUV fan and Lexus makes nothing I'd want to drive everyday since I only like to drive manual shift coupes.
The only Lexus I considered were the SC400/300 twins but I wanted the 6 speed with the 400, -not offered and only offered on the 300 for a few years. I wanted a little more sport than the mostly automatic Lexus' offer.
That's why I drive my CL 6 speed. A little more sport, a little less luxury, and lots less money is fine with me. In the Lexus price range I'd have to go German for a coupe.
What's wrong with the MDX?