Pay for 105,000 mile maint if you might sell the TL soon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay for 105,000 mile maint if you might sell the TL soon?

My transmission has gotten noticably worse over the past couple days, and my 99 TL is at 109,000 miles which means I'm over warranty. If acura wants to make me pay the whole cost of the clutch pack repair I might just sell the car. I was about to get my 105,000 mile maint when this happened (I know, I'm running late, but I changed my transmission fluid early at 93,000), but now I'm not sure if it's worth paying for it since I prolly won't get the cost of it back when I sell the car (versus selling it without the maint done).

Will I even be able to get rid of the TL if the transmission needs work? maybe a dealer would buy it since they can screw you on how much they pay and do the work for cost themselves?

Finally, off topic a bit, if I sell this I might not even be able to spend what my TL cost originally (used, $21,000). Anyone have good recommendations for a used car in the $15,000 range? I prefer toyota but maybe subaru, will prolly avoid all other car makes though (reliability).
Old 02-05-2005, 05:36 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vipvop
My transmission has gotten noticably worse over the past couple days, and my 99 TL is at 109,000 miles which means I'm over warranty. If acura wants to make me pay the whole cost of the clutch pack repair I might just sell the car. I was about to get my 105,000 mile maint when this happened (I know, I'm running late, but I changed my transmission fluid early at 93,000), but now I'm not sure if it's worth paying for it since I prolly won't get the cost of it back when I sell the car (versus selling it without the maint done).

Will I even be able to get rid of the TL if the transmission needs work? maybe a dealer would buy it since they can screw you on how much they pay and do the work for cost themselves?

Finally, off topic a bit, if I sell this I might not even be able to spend what my TL cost originally (used, $21,000). Anyone have good recommendations for a used car in the $15,000 range? I prefer toyota but maybe subaru, will prolly avoid all other car makes though (reliability).
first thing go to a different dealer because I had a friend with a Odysee with your problem. he had like 110,000 on it and they went 50/50 on it. which is a good deal. some dealers are just out for money they really don't give a crap about keeping you as a customer.
Now as far as selling it "as is" you'll either take a "blood bath" on price or never sell it. because if the tranny screwed people will wonder whatelse is messed up on it. plus to dump 1500 bucks into the car right off the bat is bad. My old car(88 Accord) I had to rebuild the tranny (it was 1500 bucks to rebuild it) and I turned sold it like 2-3 weeks later for 3500. but it was either junk it and get practically nothing for it or rebuild the tranny.
as far as cars to replace it with. If you can find a little more cash I'd go with a Nissan Sentra Spec V. It's a stout little fun car. with it's manual and 2.5 liter engine it can turn some heads. plus the 2.5 liter motor seems like Nissan puts in everything
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aftermarket tranny? put in about $2500 and you should get at least 50k more out if it without too much expense. Sellin it with screwed up tranny would mean you wouldnt get much...at least from a dealer. Plus, I still think that TL is great, screwed tranny and all.