Are you considering an EV yet?

Old 03-08-2022, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got an RDX, I love it, and I can squeeze out 26mpg on my commute if I play it right, but I'm concerned about the future of commodities. I think we're in for a decade+ long squeeze where the east has the power to control commodity prices over the west, among a whole host of other macroeconomic factors.

EVs have their pluses and minuses. I value performance and being able to whip around but paying for premium gas in a tuned RDX is undesirable to say the least. Many thousands would be saved over 5 years by driving a chevy bolt, for example. The Mach E GT has less efficiency, but would still save on fuel while being whippy.

I'm mostly trying to figure out if I should go ahead and tune my RDX and foot the bill for premium gas and enjoy it, or go all in on EVs since it seems inevitable they're the best economic option going forward, and with supply squeezes, their prices only stand to go up in the medium term.

The following users liked this post:
pilozm (06-17-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
If I work from home? No.

With a 80/mile round trip commute? More inclined, but not totally sold on it.

If the going got tougher, I'd just buy a fuel efficient beater and wait for prices to recover - for me, it doesn't make sense buying a $45-55k car to save in fuel costs.

The following 2 users liked this post by TylerT:
Acura TL Builder (08-18-2022), teh CL (06-06-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,845 Posts
I'm well past considering an EV. It's a lot cheaper to drive than any gas car out there and it's a metric fuck ton faster than almost all of them too.

That said, don't go spend $50k-$60k to save $2000 a year (which is what I'm lined up to save this year). That won't pay off. If you're going to buy a new car anyway then in for sure take a look at an EV.

You can also, you know, not tune the RDX and save the money there too lol.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:24 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Values performance but bought a RDX :uhh:

I went EV last year when my lease was up. Bought it. No regrets.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
civicdrivr (06-11-2022), pilozm (06-17-2022), RPhilMan1 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Values performance but bought a RDX :uhh:

I went EV last year when my lease was up. Bought it. No regrets.
A tuned sub 5sec 0-60 with SH-AWD and boaty comfort + space is pretty decent for a daily.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:36 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by bdawwg
A tuned sub 5sec 0-60 with SH-AWD and boaty comfort + space is pretty decent for a daily.
Model Y stock factory sub 5 sec with AWD and even more space is nothing to sneeze at either. If I wanted to pay an extra $2k on the app/or car I could instantly make an almost 4 sec car.

If I stuck with ICE...Id have gotten another Alfa Romeo Stelvio Q4...add a simple $600 plug in and its a win-win over damn near anything in its class.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Guessing those of you that are pro-EV don't do long distance driving??? We moved from MA to VA coming up on 3 years ago and we make round trips a couple of times a year. Depending on which route we take, it's about 550-600ish miles each way. Yes we have to stop to refuel but that is <10 mins all in (bio-break, drinks, etc....) and we don't have to plan a route around charging stations. I know this will likely change as we move forward in time, but to answer OP's question - so far nope!
pttl (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Guessing those of you that are pro-EV don't do long distance driving??? We moved from MA to VA coming up on 3 years ago and we make round trips a couple of times a year. Depending on which route we take, it's about 550-600ish miles each way. Yes we have to stop to refuel but that is <10 mins all in (bio-break, drinks, etc....) and we don't have to plan a route around charging stations. I know this will likely change as we move forward in time, but to answer OP's question - so far nope!
Got my Y a few days before Labor Day. So, I've had it for 6 months now? I have put 10,200 miles on it. All this year I have been working up in fucking Santa Clarita. So, when I'm booked for work to go up there its an 80 mile roundtrip. I drive out to the desert 120 miles one way all the time to see my folks. And we did a big road trip up to Monterey over the holidays that was about 350 miles. I know many who have done cross country trips. CA is mapped out with Superchargers so its easier than many places, but that is rapidly changing. The stopping to charge doesn't add much more time and autopilot is priceless. It all depends on what you want and where you live. EV is not practical as a road trip car in certain areas, or for people who need to tow or haul lots of heavy gear.

There are factors to consider to make EV worth the price of admission. For me the boxes were all checked.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
civicdrivr (06-11-2022), NBP04TL4ME (03-08-2022), pilozm (06-17-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Model Y stock factory sub 5 sec with AWD and even more space is nothing to sneeze at either. If I wanted to pay an extra $2k on the app/or car I could instantly make an almost 4 sec car.

If I stuck with ICE...Id have gotten another Alfa Romeo Stelvio Q4...add a simple $600 plug in and its a win-win over damn near anything in its class.
That's what I'm saying, is something like a Model Y worth it. My RDX cost me $44k. Model Y is almost a $70k vehicle in my state, out of the question without a fed. tax credit and above the threshold for my state incentive. THAT doesn't make sense. Unfortunately a Mach E GT is also above the threshold for my state incentive, and would also be close to $70k. Which seems ridiculous if I can get a X3 M40i or SQ5 in the ballpark, despite needing gas. In any case, the play for me would be a Kia EV6 to get max inventives. 4.6 0-6 is good, I just doubt it can rail corners like a SH-AWD.

David Berk (07-15-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:54 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
10mins to refuel and pee? I call shenanigans. Don't forget lunch breaks and the sort. In any case, my road trip of 300 miles each way was maybe 5-10mins longer with an EV vs gas as I plugged in when I stopped to eat once in each direction. That 5-10mins was the difference between $22 in electrons and $100 in gas. I charged overnight in before leaving in the morning in both directions.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
pilozm (06-17-2022), Sarlacc (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by bdawwg
That's what I'm saying, is something like a Model Y worth it. My RDX cost me $44k. Model Y is almost a $70k vehicle in my state, out of the question without a fed. tax credit and above the threshold for my state incentive. THAT doesn't make sense. Unfortunately a Mach E GT is also above the threshold for my state incentive, and would also be close to $70k. Which seems ridiculous if I can get a X3 M40i or SQ5 in the ballpark, despite needing gas. In any case, the play for me would be a Kia EV6 to get max inventives. 4.6 0-6 is good, I just doubt it can rail corners like a SH-AWD.
If you are going to sell your RDX and buy an EV for the gas savings alone then that plan is silly as it'll take a decade or more to make up that difference. If you were planning on selling your RDX for something new anyway then EV makes sense.

The MYLR can be had for a lot less than $70k lol. The MYLR base price is ~$60k. Any of the higher end EV's aren't going to compete with a RDX, they'll compete with the BMW/Audi side of things.
pilozm (06-17-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
The only way I'm getting another car with a gas engine in it is if it's a manual, or if it's a supercar. That's it. For a regular everyday car, the way an electric motor propels you is heads and shoulders superior to that of a gas motor. NVH from the engine just doesn't exist, and it's completely smooth, not just in terms of vibrations but power delivery feels 100% linear and there's no surging or hiccups. Instant torque is amazing, with no need downshift and/or wait for the engine to wind up to start delivering power. It's a much more luxurious feeling, and gas engines (even the smoothest V8 and inline-6s) just feels coarse and unrefined. And all this ignores the reduced running cost, which I see as a nice side benefit; even if it cost as much (or more) I'd still probably buy it.

Of course, if I lived in BFE with poor charging infrastructure or if I regularly made 300+ miles trips, I'd probably not get an EV. But think of it this way: sure, on a long trip you might spend 30-40 minutes charging the car, instead of say 5 minutes to get gas. But if this is a commuter, you save 5-10 minutes once a week by not having to go get gas. I think for most people, the amount of time spent not getting gas normally more than makes up for the amount of time you have to charge on a long trip, and at least here on the west coast you can easily time it with a lunch or a break so it's not like you're stopping just for the sake of charging.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
F23A4 (03-09-2022), Sarlacc (03-08-2022), Slpr04UA6 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:56 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,805 Likes on 3,726 Posts
Nope.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:29 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SamDoe1

The MYLR can be had for a lot less than $70k lol. The MYLR base price is ~$60k. Any of the higher end EV's aren't going to compete with a RDX, they'll compete with the BMW/Audi side of things.
In CA...a MYLR with current pricing would be around $67-8k out the door. I think the current CA incentive is now half of what I got, so $750 instant and then $2k back from the state if that fund hasn't been exhausted again.

With the lower prices, etc and $1500 + $2000 I paid $60 OTD last year.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 758 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Nope.
Also nope. Well, maybe in the latter half of this decade, maybe...
The following 2 users liked this post by Pair of TLs:
1killercls (03-14-2022), David Berk (07-15-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm already halfway to EV for a DD, I own a RLX Sport Hybrid. Next DD in a few years will likely be a BEV. By the time I'm back in the market for a car, Honda will likely have BEVs on the market and I'll have to choose between that and a Tesla.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The only way I'm getting another car with a gas engine in it is if it's a manual, or if it's a supercar. That's it. For a regular everyday car, the way an electric motor propels you is heads and shoulders superior to that of a gas motor. NVH from the engine just doesn't exist, and it's completely smooth, not just in terms of vibrations but power delivery feels 100% linear and there's no surging or hiccups. Instant torque is amazing, with no need downshift and/or wait for the engine to wind up to start delivering power. It's a much more luxurious feeling, and gas engines (even the smoothest V8 and inline-6s) just feels coarse and unrefined. And all this ignores the reduced running cost, which I see as a nice side benefit; even if it cost as much (or more) I'd still probably buy it.

Of course, if I lived in BFE with poor charging infrastructure or if I regularly made 300+ miles trips, I'd probably not get an EV. But think of it this way: sure, on a long trip you might spend 30-40 minutes charging the car, instead of say 5 minutes to get gas. But if this is a commuter, you save 5-10 minutes once a week by not having to go get gas. I think for most people, the amount of time spent not getting gas normally more than makes up for the amount of time you have to charge on a long trip, and at least here on the west coast you can easily time it with a lunch or a break so it's not like you're stopping just for the sake of charging.
Yes, I'm of a similar mindset. As this point, the BMW i4 and iX have the inside track on replacing my TLX and MDX (respectively) two years from now. (I was considering swapping out the A-Spec for Type S but have since lost interest.) The new EV owner (such as myself) just has to learn to manage their time with charging and range/consumption in mind. (i.e.: plug in before turning for the evening, plugging in at a charger while shopping, etc,...) Honestly, we do that now with ICE cars just that we assume a) we'll have no problem getting gas AND b) gassing up only takes a few minutes (unless at Costoc )

In the meantime, we are enjoying our newly acquired 2019 Nissan LEAF....A LOT. Although it's a comparative econobox EV (and a base powertrain at that), it's meager torque does come on immediately upon throttle application. (It even took my friend's AMG GLC to task from 0-35mph putting a car length on him before his boost kicked in. :rolf: )

At this point, the only ICE I'll consider is something that can be a collector's item some time from now. The S550 Mustang GT w/6MT + PP currently tops that list for me.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:22 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Nope.
David Berk (07-15-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

The only way I'm getting another car with a gas engine in it is if it's a manual, or if it's a supercar. That's it. For a regular everyday car, the way an electric motor propels you is heads and shoulders superior to that of a gas motor.

Of course, if I lived in BFE with poor charging infrastructure or if I regularly made 300+ miles trips, I'd probably not get an EV.
100%. I'm looking into getting a V8 manual for a fun car but that's about it, not a daily so IDGAF what the gas mileage is since it's just for fun.

We HAD to get a gas car for my wife since her parents live in the middle of nowhere and the closest charger would be 80 miles each way from their house. EV was not going to fit that very real use case otherwise we'd have two of them right now. With the way car prices are going, the value of her Subaru is $5k more than we bought it for so we're now considering finding a PHEV for her. Getting ~30ish miles of EV range is absolutely perfect for our use case and the gas motor is there to back it up for longer trips up to see her parents.

In CA...a MYLR with current pricing would be around $67-8k out the door. I think the current CA incentive is now half of what I got, so $750 instant and then $2k back from the state if that fund hasn't been exhausted again.

With the lower prices, etc and $1500 + $2000 I paid $60 OTD last year.
Yes, taxes and fees on top but that'll vary depending on where you live. Rebates are largely nonexistent in most parts of the country. I paid $64k out the door for my M3P last June, no rebates or incentives.

Originally Posted by F23A4
Yes, I'm of a similar mindset. As this point, the BMW i4 and iX have the inside track on replacing my TLX and MDX (respectively) two years from now. (I was considering swapping out the A-Spec for Type S but have since lost interest.) The new EV owner (such as myself) just has to learn to manage their time with charging and range/consumption in mind. (i.e.: plug in before turning for the evening, plugging in at a charger while shopping, etc,...) Honestly, we do that now with ICE cars just that we assume a) we'll have no problem getting gas AND b) gassing up only takes a few minutes (unless at Costoc )

At this point, the only ICE I'll consider is something that can be a collector's item some time from now. The S550 Mustang GT w/6MT + PP currently tops that list for me.
You don't have to plug in as often as people might think. I plug in overnight at home just because it's easy and convenient. I don't plug in anywhere else unless I'm on a road trip. I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've plugged my car into a charger that isn't at my house. Shit I didn't even plug in to the free chargers at the airport when I was gone for 4 days and the car was just fine lol. Charging an EV and keeping it going isn't really all that hard at all. The vast majority of people won't drive anywhere close to the range of the car on any regular basis and the small handful of times one has to do it, you spend an extra few minutes of your time to save an enormous amount of money plus have a car that outperforms just about anything on the road. Most days my state of charge goes from 88% when I leave my driveway in the morning to ~72% when I plug in at the end of the day. This is in cold weather so it's better in the summer.

My plan is also to get a S550 Mustang lol. Probably the GT though I really want the GT350.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:22 AM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
^ Sienna? Coworker's wife is on her 3rd or 4th & the current is the Hybrid (Only option on the new ones IIRC) & it was a huge jump in MPG over the prior.
Rav4 Prime? Or is that too small?
Old 03-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ Sienna? Coworker's wife is on her 3rd or 4th & the current is the Hybrid (Only option on the new ones IIRC) & it was a huge jump in MPG over the prior.
Rav4 Prime? Or is that too small?
Want something to tow with as well. Sienna can't do that. RAV4 is too small.

Considering a Jeep 4xe, Volvo T8, or something along those lines. Rumor has it that the Telluride is going to come in PHEV form soon too. We'll see, not planning on making any moves yet.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:51 PM

Not sure if was aftermarket badging or if 4xe Rubis have started delivery.
Saw a sting gray JLU this morning on the school commute that had all the blue bordered logos.
Didn't get a solid look other than the hood edge logos.

What about a WL GC 4xe?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Saw a sting gray JLU this morning on the school commute that had all the blue bordered logos.

What about a WL GC 4xe?
Tthe 4xe's are definitely out now. I've been seeing a couple of them almost daily for the past three weeks. Seems like they're getting pretty popular around these parts.
00TL-P3.2 (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

What about a WL GC 4xe?
The 4xe Rubis are definitely out. A few on the FB groups have them and love them. Trail Recon on YT swapped his diesel for one as well.

WL GC 4xe would be the current front runner but waiting for the GC-L to come in PHEV form as we'd want the bigger one. It would be perfect for the ~20 miles my wife drives daily if she's going into the office.

Tthe 4xe's are definitely out now. I've been seeing a couple of them almost daily for the past three weeks. Seems like they're getting pretty popular around these parts.
They are the best selling PHEV's in the country lol. It's a great use of electrons for improving the daily driving efficiency of something that would otherwise get dogshit mileage.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:42 PM

I see a lot of LWB WL GCs on the road here now. Lot of Overland trim.
Haven't seen a SWB yet.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-14-2022, 12:46 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I like my internal combustion too much to go EV.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:43 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
I have been mostly in the "No" category, but if I can have a suitable solar solution / battery or capacitor storage then why not as a commuter? I have to drive 50 miles / day for work, so this would make sense, and the solar solution means I can charge it weekly for 0$. That would be a win.
pilozm (06-17-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 10:02 PM
Ex-OEM King

Even without Solar my cost to drive my car is about 60%-70% less than that of a gas car. IMO it's still worth it for something that could smoke almost anything on this forum.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:31 AM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts

The following 5 users liked this post by ttribe:
1killercls (03-16-2022), David Berk (07-15-2022), Marcelechka (03-15-2022), pttl (03-15-2022), teh CL (06-06-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,496 Posts
Eventually will get a EV, probably my next car but frankly I enjoy driving my 6MT 2005 TL despite all the archaic tech. Still a fun car to drive and will keep it awhile.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Even without Solar my cost to drive my car is about 60%-70% less than that of a gas car. IMO it's still worth it for something that could smoke almost anything on this forum.
Even my base LEAF would dust off my tuned A-Spec off the line with minimal effort. Even though the torque level is meager @ 236 lb-ft, coming in immediately upon throttle application is surreal at times. Can only imagine how it feels in something like a Tesla.
pilozm (06-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:38 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Marcelechka:
teh CL (06-06-2022), TylerT (03-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Considering an EV or possibly hybrid when it's time to retire the sea cucumber.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
...so, about 2-3 years maybe?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
...so, about 2-3 years maybe?
That's about the timeframe when I'll swap out the LEAF for an i4 or M3P.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
Come on over and lets give it a try!
Slpr04UA6 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:03 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Come on over and lets give it a try!
No thanks, I'll pass... not much going on in MN to warrant a trip.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
No thanks, I'll pass... not much going on in MN to warrant a trip.
That much I'll agree with...
Old 03-17-2022, 02:52 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
@SamDoe1 - since you brought my S4 into the mix in the other thread .. here's my thoughts:

If I drove into the office 5 days a week and consolidated down to 1 car, a M3P on paper would be the ideal car in my garage ... hell, I even have solar / could easily run a 220v circuit to charge.

Since I work from home / like being irrational:

- Model 3 Performance's list close to / are over 60 grand - I have pink slips to all of my cars at a fraction of that cost.
- B5 makes more torque / in some situations, blows the doors off a M3P .. all awhile being more of a sleeper.
- Registration for both of my cars are a fraction of the cost of 1 x M3P.
- Insurance is much cheaper than a M3P.
- I like consistent panel gap

Other than gas, which .. I don't use much of / company reimburses me and my time maintaining them (which I do, as a hobby), it's not enough for me to seriously entertain an EV.

At all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you considering an EV yet?