The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Sorry, trying to fix my previous post, but my computer is going on the fritz every time I visit youtube.... there should be two different videos.

Post finally fixed. Although I'm still having problems every time I visit youtube.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Looks nice. Any photos of what it looks like lit up?
Here is a post that shows some very good pics of the unit lit up...

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/foru...93-post65.html

This company has a huge selection of assemblies for lots of bikes.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
New wheels for the ruckus.

The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (01-02-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
sorry to break the chain of pictures but i just got my m1 (after taking msf) and slowly picking up gear here and there. already have a helmet, gauntlets, just ordered boots.

been looking at used 600F4is and 600RRs (or a 500 if I can find one used)..thoughts on those bikes? Plan on just commuting for the time being..i know i could go with a 250 and use that for commuting but eventually i'd like to have some fun on the track or something. Also if i want to travel between LA and OC on the fwy I hear 250s get buzzy and uncomfortable.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-03-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ How long is your commute?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ez12a
sorry to break the chain of pictures but i just got my m1 (after taking msf) and slowly picking up gear here and there. already have a helmet, gauntlets, just ordered boots.

been looking at used 600F4is and 600RRs (or a 500 if I can find one used)..thoughts on those bikes? Plan on just commuting for the time being..i know i could go with a 250 and use that for commuting but eventually i'd like to have some fun on the track or something. Also if i want to travel between LA and OC on the fwy I hear 250s get buzzy and uncomfortable.
I have a Ninja 300 that I use for commuting, 45 miles each way and I couldn't be happier with it. Because of its smaller size, I get the advantage of better gas mileage (55mpg+) and I find it is easier to maneuver because of its upright seating position which also helps make the commute less taxing on the wrists and back. In addition, because of its size, and if you take the time to really understand and practice the fundamentals of riding, you can easily keep up with those sport bikes in the twisties and plenty of people still have fun with it on the track. The 600+ CC bikes are great, I love the new ZX-6R and FZ-09, but I know my skills are no where near what they should be to truly appreciate and handle that bike's power yet.

I was first considering the cbr250r and a few other bikes, but when I read the reviews of the 300, it was done. It was a no brainer. There have a been a few recalls for it, but it was expected since it was a brand new bike for 2013 and over the coming years I'm sure it will improve. After riding it for a while, I modified the bike to suit my needs and tastes. For example, the bike comes with a pretty low windshield, which is fine for around town, but for the freeway was uncomfortable, but a Kawi touring windshield did wonders for making traveling 65+mph on the freeway comfortable. The headlight isn't that great at speeds greater than 60+mph; Riding with your high beam, adjusted lower of course resolves that issue. And there are lots of other modifications I did to my bike and lot more to come. You can check them out in this thread a few pages back, and in my build thread on the Kawi board: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/foru...nja-300-a.html

If you're interested in learning more about it, check out http://kawasakininja300.com/ and see for yourself, this bike is doing very well worldwide.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Just wanted to add one more thing. Really get to know the kind of rider you want to be. There are so many different kinds of bikes out there, until you really talk to people and see what they have to say, and get on a bike and get a feel for it, you really won't know what it will be like. I tried my Brother-in-laws F4i on a few occasions and although it was fun, I wasn't comfortable on it. Probably because at the time I was still new to riding, but the seating position wasn't comfortable to me and I wasn't happy with the size of the bike, but that could also be because my lack of experience, it may be different now that I've been riding for a while. It was then that I realized that I really do like upright position bikes, but now that I have more experience, I want to revisit it. The temptation when you're new is to always want a really nice sport bike, but remember, ride within your limits, and since you are new, the 600's can be trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

Get on a bike to get a feel for the seating position, power, etc, just so you can figure out what you will be comfortable with and go from there.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

There was a lot of good discussion about the topic of commuting with a bike that I started up with post #1404 on this page:https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...719775&page=36

It should be helpful to you because it sounds like you and I were/are in the same position, new to riding and needing to make a decision as to which bike to buy that is best for commuting and best for a new rider. Read and enjoy.
ez12a (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 AM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ How long is your commute?
6 miles lol not far by any means but i would rather keep my TL in the apt parking structure and just take a motorcycle and "beat" that engine instead 6 miles is hardly enough to fully warm up my TL.

Sly, thanks for the info and insight. I'm definitely interested in sport bikes, but i've never sat on one so i dont even know if i'll like the riding position. I'll certainly sit on one to see. I've grown to be a huge fan of MotoGP though lol.

I believe myself to be the responsible type, i'm a very safe and conscious car driver. In fact the only points deducted/marked off on my MSF test was for taking the slow, look, press, roll part TOO slow. My friend who just also got his license and first bike, a GS500F is already wanting more as well.

I also looked into the Ninja 300, liked the amount of standard features it brings (great looking bike Sly, btw). however, that and the CBR500 are still pretty expensive (approx $4k for 300, very few if any CBR500s) even in the used market compared to used 03+ 600RRs\F4is. We shall see once I get serious, hopefully by Q2-3 of this year.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-04-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

6 miles! Get a bicycle, walk, take the bus, ride a tricycle, skip, enjoy your short commute bastard!

Buying a super/sport bike for a 6 mile commute sounds wasteful IMO, unless you buy something like a ruckus or a scooter or something where you'll really get the benefit of saving a lot money (gas, maintenance, insurance, gear) for such a short commute. Just my on the subject. If you bought the 250/300cc bike it may be ok, but I still think you aren't going to realize that much of a savings at the end of the day, but at least you'ld have some fun everyday on the bike, which is why I enjoy my commutes now.

90 miles of riding every day that I commute on the bike. I've got 3000 miles on my bike already, definitely not as much as I could have had, but still a lot considering I started riding to work in June of last year till October.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
i know i could go with a 250 and use that for commuting but eventually i'd like to have some fun on the track or something.
Sly pretty much addressed most of your questions... but I wanted to touch on this part.

I can't tell you how many times I read new riders talking about going on the track or mountain riding, etc. and immediately they say they need a big bike to do this. When I read that, it sends up a flag b/c to me it says that instead of learning to ride correctly, they want more power to ride fast. I am not saying you are guilty of this... but you did mention the track as a reason to not get aq smaller bike.

My recommendation, buy a 250/300. When I started I was on a Ninja 250 and I was able to keep up with 500/600cc bikes b/c I learned to ride correctly and I could take corners faster then them. As for the track... I know when my local track opens the layouts with a ton of turns, the 250's are setting the fastest times. Of course when the full track is open the larger bikes walk the smaller ones on the straights... but any idiot can twist his throttle open in a straight line. Get a smaller, lighter bike and do it right. You can always sell it an upgrade. My bike ownership went like this Ninja 250 (about 14 months) --> Aprilia Tuono 1000 --> Ducati 848. So just b/c you're starting small doesn't mean you need to stay there. But getting some seat time on a light, forgiving, smaller bike sets you up to know how to ride a larger bike properly when you do upgrade. And yes, you'll still have a ton of fun on a track or mountain road with a 250/300.

That's just my
The following 3 users liked this post by juniorbean:
00TL-P3.2 (01-06-2014), civicdrivr (01-06-2014), ez12a (01-16-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
juniorbean is absolutely right. Do not assume that you actually need a larger bike just to compete with others on the track. Learning to ride quickly on a smaller bike will teach you better bike control and actually allow you to be able to keep up with larger bikes, especially on the twistier sections. If you start small and work your way up to larger bikes, you'll find yourself better able to make the most of that larger bike's much greater performance envelope.
ez12a (01-16-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM
the overexplainer

acknowledged and understood. i understand your points.

actually yesterday i decided to shop for a ninja 250 when i'm ready mainly because some of the things you pointed out:

1. I dont have any tracks near me, nor do I have a trailer or truck to transport the thing. I am not riding an our and a half to the high desert to then ride some more..and then ride back given that I dont crash it. I'm guessing once I make friends in the riding crowds there will be some kind of sharing/rental. but that's way down the line obv.

2. I dont want to be afraid of dropping the bike. with a 250 i'd probably throw it around everywhere and learn my own and the bike's limits. It will also allow me to spend more money on quality gear. Leathers all around!

3. 600CCs are still pretty expensive when '08+ ninjas are sub 3k now.

4. watched too many vids of people panic braking and dropping their bike. A smaller less aggressive bike with a weaker braking system will help me train to prevent that.

5. parentals want me to get the alfa running. Buying a 250 and paying for fixing the alfa will let me have my cake and eat it too.

@Sly: i do bike occasionally. problem is i dont like showering at work and then biking back and then showering again unless i want to go to bed with dried sweat lol. I hear you regarding long commutes. My old job had me on track to do 30k annual. The nature of the work prevented me from riding a motorcycle. I thought "never again" so I got a job 1.2 miles away (i biked everyday for that one), now this job 6 miles away If I have to resign myself to a scooter, it'll be a Honda Grom. But i think a ninja 250 is well within my needs.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-06-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
the overexplainer

something like this appeals to me for some reason: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4269485884.html
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
Ooooooooo, Alfa GTV 2000

Do you have a build thread in Car Talk? If not, please make one.

EDIT - That one in the link looks clean. I'd definitely take a look at it if I were you.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ooooooooo, Alfa GTV 2000

Do you have a build thread in Car Talk? If not, please make one.
i have a dead build thread here (mainly because i got the thing right out of HS...what kind of kid has thousands of $ to get it running...lol. so unfair to just kind of unload that on me haha):
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...-make-run.html

lol this thing is going to be a money pit. there are times where I wish I didnt receive it because selling it is so tempting. But i wont sell. This kind of car only increases in value (which rarely happens), with fully restored GTVs worth upwards of $30k. Selling will be something i regret.

i plan on getting it running at the very least and letting my dad drive it around for fun since he's retired.

/digression

Last edited by ez12a; 01-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,503 Posts
MAX BMW Motorsport Builds a New R90S – Out of a Catalog

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/max-bmw-...150214527.html

I knew BMW's are well supported in parts but didn't know they were this good. Quite a few parts on my 85 Honda are not longer available by Honda.
civicdrivr (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

I knew BMW's are well supported in parts but didn't know they were this good. Quite a few parts on my 85 Honda are not longer available by Honda.
MAX BMW is my local BMW dealer of choice in New England. I just had my K1200S serviced there and they did a great job, plus they picked up and dropped the bike off for me so I would not have to take it to them all the way up in NH.

/Shamelessplug
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

That's really impressive. I'm in the same boat as you too - '88 NT650 here. That's why I've decided to not restore it but mod it instead.

I wonder how registering it works. Does the frame (I'm assuming they bought a new frame from BMW as well) come with a new VIN?

Last edited by civicdrivr; 01-10-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

@Sly: i do bike occasionally. problem is i dont like showering at work and then biking back and then showering again unless i want to go to bed with dried sweat lol. I hear you regarding long commutes. My old job had me on track to do 30k annual. The nature of the work prevented me from riding a motorcycle. I thought "never again" so I got a job 1.2 miles away (i biked everyday for that one), now this job 6 miles away If I have to resign myself to a scooter, it'll be a Honda Grom. But i think a ninja 250 is well within my needs.
I was just pulling your leg on the riding, walking, running to work. I'm just envious of the fact that you have such a short commute! I can't imagine how grueling it would be during the summer months to do either of those three in the hot weather.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
the overexplainer

indeed lol, loving the commute now.

come monday i might take a look at that ninja on CL i posted earlier..shooting for as close to $3k as possible if it turns out ok. I've seen tips on what to look for when buying used via google, but any thing i should look out for from those who have bought via private party?

finally finished collecting all my gear: boots, pants, gauntlets, helmet, jacket
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

come monday i might take a look at that ninja on CL i posted earlier..shooting for as close to $3k as possible if it turns out ok. I've seen tips on what to look for when buying used via google, but any thing i should look out for from those who have bought via private party?

finally finished collecting all my gear: boots, pants, gauntlets, helmet, jacket
I don't have any advice as to what to look at on the bike, but I can say that if you plan to do any riding during the day, look into a tinted visor for your helmet. And if you plan on hauling stuff, possibly a nice backpack or a bag to strap on to the bike.

After you buy a bike, and if you plan on doing any of your own service work, you'll need to invest in a front stand and a rear stand. However, the front stands get a little hairy because some maintenance requires the front suspension to be unloaded so that means either buying a third stand, or coming up with another solution, like lifting your bikes from underneath the headers to keep the front free. I don't know if that is a tursted practice, just reiterating what I've heard others do. I still need to figure out how I'm going to service my bike with the front free if I ever need to, but for now, I do have a front and rear stand.
ez12a (01-20-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Tire wear; chain and spockets condition; rash on the engine casing, bar ends, pegs, etc. Make sure it's cold when you start it. Listen for any unusual sounds (I don't know that engine so I can't give you any specifics). Make sure all switch gear is fully operational. Check the oil. And obviously, take it for a ride.
ez12a (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
The Dumb One

almost done.

sorry for the crap picture...

juniorbean (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Tire wear; chain and spockets condition; rash on the engine casing, bar ends, pegs, etc. Make sure it's cold when you start it. Listen for any unusual sounds (I don't know that engine so I can't give you any specifics). Make sure all switch gear is fully operational. Check the oil. And obviously, take it for a ride.
took a brief look at it today (didnt have any money on hand, banks closed for MLK). had him start it up cold with the choke off and it started right up, didnt stall when idling or after some small twists of the throttle. Good sign i read, right?

Saw a small coolant leak from one of the rad hoses/clamps. I read it could be just as easy as tightening the clamp. Rear brake fluid is amber, will probably replace. some scratches on brake lever, mirror, bar end, presumably when it tipped over. No other fairing damage than some slight vertical scratches. Oil level was at the top mark when measured with the bike straightened.

rear tire has some cracking on the sidewall. Will use that to lower the price for a new rear tire.

other than that it's a clean bike. will decide later this week and get the money for a test ride. On that note, it's pretty small (I'm 5'11") and seems like it'd be fun to ride..i like it. the two brothers w/ baffle sounds nice.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.
civicdrivr (01-21-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received my ZX-6R headlamp today along with an ebony upper fairing. Turns out the ZX-6R headlamp is a direct swap for the 300 headlamp. The benefit of the ZX-6R headlamp is that it has dual projectors, the 300 does not, and the ZX-6R headlamp is nearly all black with just a bit of chrome, so along with the ebony upper fairing, I'm hoping it'll make the bike look a little nicer too. I'm hoping that the improved lighting from this housing will be enough so that I don't have to go the route of upgrading to a set of HIDs.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM
the overexplainer

Nice! I saw BKMoto kits are like the alternative, but require modding.

Rode home on my ninja 250 today! Got the rear tire replaced immediately along with the rear pads. Found a friendly shop in Costa Mesa to do the work and a inspection. First impressions: i will not get in trouble with this bike in terms of power. It's like the MSF bike (in a good way) i used.

looking forward to commuting now! Thank you guys for all the suggestions and tips!
The following 2 users liked this post by ez12a:
juniorbean (02-03-2014), Sly Raskal (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Nice! I saw BKMoto kits are like the alternative, but require modding.

Rode home on my ninja 250 today! Got the rear tire replaced immediately along with the rear pads. Found a friendly shop in Costa Mesa to do the work and a inspection. First impressions: i will not get in trouble with this bike in terms of power. It's like the MSF bike (in a good way) i used.

looking forward to commuting now! Thank you guys for all the suggestions and tips!
Yea, the bkmoto kits are good, and they recently revamped some of them so they are even better and easier to install. I am just hoping to stay away from having to go that route because of the complexity, ie. ballasts, wiring, housing modifications, etc. my goal even though i have modified my bike is to keep it as maintenance free as possible.

Congrats on the bike! No matter the number of CCs, you will have fun! Have fun, and be safe!
ez12a (01-25-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

I envy those of you guys in warmer climates. I haven't been able to ride since early December since the weather here has been such utter crap the last few weeks. I am looking forward to the first day of mid-40s temps with no fresh snow on the ground so that I can break out the bike again.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM
The Dumb One

RRGS forks on.

its running about 66mph with the 150 on there. all I want is 70... a gear change and new variator should do the trick.

juniorbean (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Team Owner

Teaser pic of the ZX-6R headlamp installed on my bike with the ebony upper fairing....

Before:

After:

I couldn't put all my fairings back on because two of my fasteners are damaged and I need to order replacements, I over tightened them the last time I took off my fairings and they got mangled. As soon as I get all my fairings back on, I'll take pics of the entire bike.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sly Raskal:
ez12a (02-03-2014), juniorbean (02-03-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 PM
the overexplainer

really enjoying riding so far. Did just over 200 miles since buying it. ended up getting the front tire replaced after it too developed cracks (both tires were the original from '09).

With new rubber i'm confident enough to tackle the freeway as well for short distances. Come the 22-23rd i might ride down with a colleague that rides a duc monster to SD to meet up with the rest of my colleagues for a team building trip.

riding is fun It's so cheap to fill up i'm reluctant to spend $45+ to fill up my TL haha.

question for you guys: what do you use for ear-pro? I've tried the DIY ear plug kits and they dont work taht great. I got a bunch of Hearos xtreme plugs and they work really well. I just dont like the idea of having to buy disposable things to ride.

maybe people are being nice to me but a lot of people ask me if it's a 600cc. i sheepishly tell them its just a 250cc haha. must be the exhaust.

Last edited by ez12a; 02-07-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM
the overexplainer

damn missed my edit window, but something has to be said about transition visors. I have one for my Bell RS-1 and i know Shoei is coming out with them too. They are a revelation.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

damn missed my edit window, but something has to be said about transition visors. I have one for my Bell RS-1 and i know Shoei is coming out with them too. They are a revelation.
My brother-in-law has the transitions visor on his bell and has had nothing but good things to say about it. I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this visor for the Shoei RF-1100 helmet as well. Have you heard anything recently about its release? I've been reading that people have been waiting years for this and yet nothing has come of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
My brother-in-law has the transitions visor on his bell and has had nothing but good things to say about it. I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this visor for the Shoei RF-1100 helmet as well. Have you heard anything recently about its release? I've been reading that people have been waiting years for this and yet nothing has come of it.
He speaks truth haha for commuting it's awesome since i go to work with the sun in my face and then leave after dark.

not particularly, i just see them on pre-order on the big retailers. Revzilla lists them for pre-order starting to ship late Feb.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...dy-face-shield

so worth it.
Sly Raskal (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

Ahhhh! that is big news! They weren't accepting pre-orders before. So awesome. I know what my next purchase will be! Thanks for sharing.

Dang so expensive though.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM
the overexplainer

welp it didnt take too long for my bike to get on its side.

someone at work backed into it with a van. Luckily i had just installed frame sliders two weekends ago, but my windscreen is in pieces and the turn signal definitely needs replacing. Misc suffs here and there on my lever, bar end, exhaust.

a pic:

if there are scuffs on my exhaust..do they replace the thing? i mean it still works..but a new one would be kinda neat too haha. i would like everything as it was though in near perfect condition.

i was really looking forward to riding to SD this weekend...i hope i would still be able to. Luckily i have the original windscreen from the prev owner.

Other things i counted:
1. Exhaust scuffed
2. Bar end and brake lever scuffed
3. Scuffs on tail on left side from contact with the van
4. Scuffs on frame slider (does this get replaced too? lol)

do these things all get replaced with new?

Last edited by ez12a; 02-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

Ouch! Sorry to hear dude. At least you weren't on it when it fell, that's all that matters. Will the party at fault be paying for the repairs? I would imagine they should be replaced with new parts if going through insurance.
ez12a (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Ouch! Sorry to hear dude. At least you weren't on it when it fell, that's all that matters. Will the party at fault be paying for the repairs? I would imagine they should be replaced with new parts if going through insurance.

yeah the manager of our workplace cafe came out and we traded info. Should be all insured.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
welp it didnt take too long for my bike to get on its side.

someone at work backed into it with a van. Luckily i had just installed frame sliders two weekends ago, but my windscreen is in pieces and the turn signal definitely needs replacing. Misc suffs here and there on my lever, bar end, exhaust.
Very sorry to hear. What a PITA.

BUT.... this is exactly why you buy a cheap used bike when you're starting out. It's not a matter of if your bike will be dropped... it's when/how. Just glad you didn't go down riding.

Good luck fixing it up
ez12a (02-18-2014)

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread