The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
had a cruise this weekend in new orleans with some friends and out of towners.

this was about an hour before we left and missing give or take 30 scoots.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/62620128" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/62620128">Walk around</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/hurricanematteo">Matthew Gray</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

and a quick video i snapped going down Bourbon
(it plays right side up)
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/62692678" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/62692678">Downtown</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/hurricanematteo">Matthew Gray</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

also, here is my scooter thus far. (purple and white)
so far, just a dropped seat frame, drag handle bars, and floorboard removed with some paint on the wheels and rad. cover. and i removed my stock tailight/blinker bracket and moved the lights under my seat.

im stretching it soon with a 8" fatty on the rear.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 03-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I live in a region of Southern California that frequently gets into the 80°+ range for many months of the year, 90° for nearly all of the summer months, and in some cases, above 100°. In the winter months we rarely see temps below freezing, and even if we did, my bike is garaged. If the temps are expected to go over 100° or below 40°, I doubt I would ride in those conditions. Hell, even 90° weather is scaring me and it's not even summer yet.

That being said, based on the oil viscosity chart provided in the Ninja 300 owner's manual (shown below), it seems like 20W-40 or 20W-50 would be better suited for the 300 than any other oil viscosity. Is my reasoning on this sound? Or is there something that I should be factoring into my decision that I am not when it comes to deciding the proper oil viscosity? Would you run 20W-40 or 20W-50 based on the conditions I have described or would you stick with the standard 10W-40?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wow... you dove right in huh? Brand new bike and high end gear. Good for you!

Bike looks awesome. If I were you, I'd head to the nearest empty parking lot and start practicing now. Do some hard braking, lock up the rear, etc. Best to get the feeling of these actions in an empty lot then out on the road. Especially since you mentioned two close calls just on the way home. That says to me you need to get off the street and spend a couple hours getting comfortable on the new bike. I've been riding on and off for 6 years and don't think I've had two close calls like that total... so you will feel much better when you get more comfortable. Before I even registered my bike I did this with a friend. He setup cones for me had me do emergency braking, emergency maneuvers, etc... and it made a huge difference. I felt so much better on the bike after that since I knew what it could and couldn't do... and how it would feel in certain situations.

Oh yeah, and definitely get frame sliders ASAP. You will drop the bike at some point... better to have it protected... especially since it's brand new.
Sorry, I missed your post. Yup, the moto bug has bitten me hard. As far as the safety gear goes, I didn't want to go cheap on any of that stuff, but it really helped that I got great discounts on that stuff. haven't gotten around to installing the mods yet, but hoping to soon. I'm still on the fence about frame sliders, haven't made a final decision about them. Also, I've joined two Kawi forums and have been reading a lot about others experiences thus far about the bike and about riding in general.

As for riding, well I've got 86 miles on the odometer thus far. Mostly from riding around the neighborhood on roads that see very little traffic so that I can break-in the motor. Today was the first day that I really went out to the 'streets' and drove with traffic and stuff. Amazing how just within 86 miles your confidence and skill level can change. Although I'm well aware of the areas that I really need to practice on, low speed turning and properly utilizing both brakes. I'm still planning on taking the MSF course again with a buddy of mine. Need to look at the dates the class will be offered to find one that suits the two of us.

Here's my initial review of the bike thus far. Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike, but I understand that for most that doesn't mean much since it's my first bike and I have nothing to compare it against. Honestly though, this truly is a great all around bike. Due to it's size, it's really easy for me to handle and because of it's low weight, it's very peppy because of it's motor size and it's pretty torquey on the low end. Riding stance is very comfortable; however, I got the bike up to 60 mph on an open stretch of road for the first time today and the wind deflection from the windshield just isn't enough even at that speed or perhaps I'm just not used to it yet. I'm a little over 5' 9" and I can have both feet flat on the ground even when I'm sitting on the bike which is a huge plus IMO. The bike really is a looker. I can't tell you how many times I'm riding along or at a stop light and I catch people just staring, or maybe that's just the way it is for motorcyclists in general, I don't know. Caught a few girls staring too.

After I've ridden the bike a bit more and had a chance to do some service work on her, I'll post up another review, hopefully in more detail and with better pictures. I'm playing it really safe and going to do a few oil changes during the break-in period. One at 100 miles, another at 300mi, and the last at 600mi. During each period, going to be increasing the amount of rpms I'm applying. So far I've gotten it up to about 7K rpms on a couple occasions while engine braking immediately afterwards. I hope that I'm breaking in the motor right.

Good luck with the new bike... ride safe, and like Moog said... keep the rubber side down!!
Thanks again for the kind words and my plans are to try to be safe as I can be. In the 86 miles I've put on, I've already had to experience the poor attitudes of other drivers on the road. Been tailgated numerous times already. Can't do anything about it other than put more distance between the car ahead of me and myself. The thing I keep telling myself is just stay cool.
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ You'll learn that you need to ride like everyone is trying to kill you. I only rode my bike for pleasure, but when using it to commute I have to imagine it will be 10x worse.

Just keep your head on a swivel and you'll be good
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Streetfighter/Naked Motorcycle Suggestions

Fellow Two-Wheeled Acuraziners,

I think "Car Talk" is the most appropriate location for my question.

Crossing 2K miles on the odometer of my 600RR here soon. Looking to swap into a Naked/Streetfighter, but honestly have no idea where to start.

I've looked at the 696/796 Duo, and love them, but want a broad search before I start committing. There has to be more of a market than that! I see a few of them roll around Shreveport and I fall all over myself in love-sickness.

Primarily looking Cruise Comfort/Agility/Styling > Power. After about 18 months on my CBR, I'm tired of leaning forward.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, and here's "Maya" (the 600) with "Eva" (WDP TL-S) in the background, albeit washed out.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm actually going from a CBR to a HORNET. Same engine, just more comfortable. 600cc also.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Are you looking to buy new or used?

Depending on your budget here are some suggestions:

Higher range: Honda CB1000r, Ducati Streetfighter 848, Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha FZ1N (beautiful if you do the euro naked conversion).

Mid range: Yamaha FZ8, FZ6, Honda CB500F

Older Bikes: Honda Hornet, SV650N, SV1000N, Kawi ER6N
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AirForceFX
Fellow Two-Wheeled Acuraziners,

I think "Car Talk" is the most appropriate location for my question.

Crossing 2K miles on the odometer of my 600RR here soon. Looking to swap into a Naked/Streetfighter, but honestly have no idea where to start.

I've looked at the 696/796 Duo, and love them, but want a broad search before I start committing. There has to be more of a market than that! I see a few of them roll around Shreveport and I fall all over myself in love-sickness.

Primarily looking Cruise Comfort/Agility/Styling > Power. After about 18 months on my CBR, I'm tired of leaning forward.

Suggestions? Thanks!
FYR, merged your thread into the huge motorcycle thread we have. I suggest you read through it as well... ton of info!

As for suggestions... I'm partial to the Triumph Street Triple or Ducati Monster. That said, I loved my Aprilia Tuono and am starting to think I should have kept it now that I'm looking to go back to a naked bike.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by SHYUperman

Higher range: Honda CB1000r, Ducati Streetfighter 848, Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha FZ1N (beautiful if you do the euro naked conversion).

You missed the Kawi Z1000 in the higher range, but this is a pretty good list to start from.

I would also add the MV Agusta Brutale, Aprilia Tuono (which juniorbean mentioned), and the KTM 690 Duke, BMW F800r, Husqvarna Strada, and the Ducati Monster range.

Lots to pick from these days.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You missed the Kawi Z1000 in the higher range, but this is a pretty good list to start from.

I would also add the MV Agusta Brutale, Aprilia Tuono (which juniorbean mentioned), and the KTM 690 Duke, BMW F800r, Husqvarna Strada, and the Ducati Monster range.

To add another BMW to this list. The R1200r is nice as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

How could I forget the Brutale? Sat on one this weekend... may have to add that to the list. Not sure though as I'm thinking I may stay in the 600cc range. We'll see.

But yeah... definitely add the MV to that list. Sweet bike...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Blue Skies

Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
I'm actually going from a CBR to a HORNET. Same engine, just more comfortable. 600cc also.
Are those available in the US? I saw that the "Hornet" name is associated with the U.K.

Originally Posted by SHYUperman

Great list! Thanks!

FYR, merged your thread into the huge motorcycle thread we have. I suggest you read through it as well... ton of info!

As for suggestions... I'm partial to the Triumph Street Triple or Ducati Monster. That said, I loved my Aprilia Tuono and am starting to think I should have kept it now that I'm looking to go back to a naked bike.
Ah, thank you. My experience should have lend me the wherewithal to search for a bike thread.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks for the adds! Great suggestions.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
To add another BMW to this list. The R1200r is nice as well.
That's a nice one, a little too big and dual-sport for me though.

How could I forget the Brutale? Sat on one this weekend... may have to add that to the list. Not sure though as I'm thinking I may stay in the 600cc range. We'll see.

But yeah... definitely add the MV to that list. Sweet bike...
I saw the only MV dealer is in Pennsylvania. Damn. Gorgeous machine, but likely a little too razors edge for me.

I was most impressed upon by the Triumph Street Triple R. There is a dealer about an hour drive from me, might go check it out this weekend and fill you guys in!

Truly appreciate the immediate feedback and suggestions guys!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Hmmm you are right, the Hornet is for UK, it is called CB600F in the states
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by AirForceFX
That's a nice one, a little too big and dual-sport for me though.
The R1200r is a "naked style, the R1200GS & R1200GSA are the dual sport/adventure style.

R1200r

R1200GSA
StreetKA (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Blue Skies

The R1200r is a "naked style, the R1200GS & R1200GSA are the dual sport/adventure style.
Ahhhhhhhh. Syntax! I see what you mean now. Not bad, not bad.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Finally got around to doing my first oil change on the 300 yesterday. While I was at it, also installed the PIAA Arrow Star White and PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow headlight bulbs I previously posted about, along with some yellow city light bulbs. I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement in lighting, but the light is whiter and very close to an HID kit in color temperature which I'm hoping will improve visibility. The yellow city lights turned out much better than I expected they would.

Went for a few rides this weekend totaling about 87 miles with the last ride being a 40 mile round trip visit to a moto shop to pick up a set of Alpinestars SMX-1 riding boots.

Bike now has 229 miles and I'm starting to push her a little harder both in speed and rpms. Been getting much better at braking, also have been practicing hard braking. Turning and awareness of speed leading into turns still needs a lot of work, but I know I'll get there.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Hey guys, I posted this in the wrong thread:

What's a good beginners bike? I've been looking at YZF-R6's and GSXR 600's, but I want other options/opinions from more knowledgeable sources like you guys. My budget is about $7000, but would prefer to stay below that.

My buddy had a 2006 Raven Edition R6 for sale last summer for $3000 in MINT condition because he was moving to FL. So pissed I didn't have the money at the time and had just purchased my TSX!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Hey guys, I posted this in the wrong thread:

What's a good beginners bike? I've been looking at YZF-R6's and GSXR 600's, but I want other options/opinions from more knowledgeable sources like you guys. My budget is about $7000, but would prefer to stay below that.

My buddy had a 2006 Raven Edition R6 for sale last summer for $3000 in MINT condition because he was moving to FL. So pissed I didn't have the money at the time and had just purchased my TSX!
I wouldn't consider an R6 or any GSXR to be a "beginner's bike"
I'd look for something like a new Ninja 300, used Ninja 250 or 500 to learn on if you've never ridden before.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't consider an R6 or any GSXR to be a "beginner's bike"
I'd look for something like a new Ninja 300, used Ninja 250 or 500 to learn on if you've never ridden before.
I've completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse and the on-bike riding skills test at Streetwise Cycle School in Boston and have ridden (sp?) my buddies R6 plenty of times for long periods of time before he sold it. I wouldn't say I have tons of experience, but I know more than just the basics... and I don't want to spend a substantial amount of cash on a 250 or 300 and then get bored with it too fast -- then have to go through the hassle of selling it and getting something else. What are some nice 500's? And is there a substantial difference between a 500 and a 600?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
I've completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse and the on-bike riding skills test at Streetwise Cycle School in Boston and have ridden (sp?) my buddies R6 plenty of times for long periods of time before he sold it. I wouldn't say I have tons of experience, but I know more than just the basics... and I don't want to spend a substantial amount of cash on a 250 or 300 and then get bored with it too fast -- then have to go through the hassle of selling it and getting something else. What are some nice 500's? And is there a substantial difference between a 500 and a 600?
"Beginner bike" has been debated forever, and there are valid arguments on both sides. I won't go into that argument. I understand your argument about the 250 and 300cc bikes. Again, that is a point that has been argued before as well. You do raise a good question about the difference between a CBR500 and a CBR600. I have never ridden a 500, and I'm curious about that myself. Technically, the CBR500 is really a 471cc bike, while the 600 is a 599cc bike, so it's not as close a comparison as you think. Will 128cc's make a difference in your riding experience? I'm not sure. I do think that it will depend on your body weight, riding style and your comfort level. It appears that you are already slightly comfortable with a 600. If so, I think the 128cc's difference might matter. With that being said, I think the 250 and 300 are out too.

I've been riding for about 10 years now. First on a 2001 CBR600F4i and now on a 2007 ZX-6R. I've ridden 1000s and 750cc bikes, and for me the 600 fits my riding style more. I've also ridden other 600s. All of the Japanese bikes are very similar (year to year). For me, I picked the Ninja because it was more comfortable when I sat on it, and the windscreen was a little higher than the R6. These things mattered to me. I go on long, spirited rides through the twisties. Perhaps these things are something you might consider in your decision as well.

As for power and reliability, if you are going to get a Japanese bike, just pick one. I doubt that you could tell the difference, for you riding ability. Also, what matters (at least to me) is if I like the look of the bike. When I got my Ninja I did not like the style of the Gixxer. If they all are cool looking to you then this might not be a factor. Just saying.

And last but not least. Price. You should be able to get a decent pre-owned bike 600 for $7000. For the money, try to go for the newer bike. So if it is down to two or three bikes you are looking at, go for the newer one. I would say go for the one with the less miles, but odometers can be tampered. I've seen this before.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by knight rider; 05-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.
iSeeYouTwo (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

Busy at work and don't have the time to give to lengthy of a reply, but just wanted to mention that don't read into the displacement numbers too much.

A 600 F4I is very different from a 600 R6. Some have been telling me that my Ninja 300 can behave better than some 600cc bikes.

I would focus more on what your needs are and go from there. eg. do you need something more for commuting or for recreation, or a little of both? Do you want a cruiser, sport or other type of bike? I would recommend staying away from a supersport if you are somewhat new to the biking world, but that's just me.

There are a lot of guys on this forum with great advice about motorcycles so hoping they chime in on it, but please read the previous 36 pages, you may find your answer in there already.
iSeeYouTwo (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the prompt replies fellas - I appreciate your input, lots of good info!

I would most likely be using this bike more for recreation (very few long trips), but I would also like to commute to and from work with it during the spring/summer (in Boston ~10 mile round trip) so I definitely want a bike that is not only sporty looking, but that is also comfortable as well, as you both mentioned. I definitely prefer the styling of the R6 over the Gixxer. Now that you've mentioned the CBR, it looks rather similar to the R6's styling, so I'll probably add that to my list and rule out the Gixxer. The only reason why I included the GSXR in my search is because they're a lot more popular in my area and can be had rather cheap and in great condition. But to be completely fair, I have not searched for CBR's yet, so I'll look into them!

Thanks again gentleman, and I will be sure to look through this thread a bit more thoroughly -- as I only skimmed through the first couple of pages before asking any questions.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by knight rider
"Beginner bike" has been debated forever, and there are valid arguments on both sides. I won't go into that argument. I understand your argument about the 250 and 300cc bikes. Again, that is a point that has been argued before as well. You do raise a good question about the difference between a CBR500 and a CBR600. I have never ridden a 500, and I'm curious about that myself. Technically, the CBR500 is really a 471cc bike, while the 600 is a 599cc bike, so it's not as close a comparison as you think. Will 128cc's make a difference in your riding experience? I'm not sure. I do think that it will depend on your body weight, riding style and your comfort level. It appears that you are already slightly comfortable with a 600. If so, I think the 128cc's difference might matter. With that being said, I think the 250 and 300 are out too.
You are forgetting to account for engine architecture. A 600cc inline-4 is going to make quite a bit more power, but in a very peaky powerband compared with a 650cc twin, which will have a fairly flat powerband. Sure the 650 has 50cc more displacement, but will typically be down in hp compared to that 600 cc inline-4.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the prompt replies fellas - I appreciate your input, lots of good info!

I would most likely be using this bike more for recreation (very few long trips), but I would also like to commute to and from work with it during the spring/summer (in Boston ~10 mile round trip) so I definitely want a bike that is not only sporty looking, but that is also comfortable as well, as you both mentioned. I definitely prefer the styling of the R6 over the Gixxer. Now that you've mentioned the CBR, it looks rather similar to the R6's styling, so I'll probably add that to my list and rule out the Gixxer. The only reason why I included the GSXR in my search is because they're a lot more popular in my area and can be had rather cheap and in great condition. But to be completely fair, I have not searched for CBR's yet, so I'll look into them!

Thanks again gentleman, and I will be sure to look through this thread a bit more thoroughly -- as I only skimmed through the first couple of pages before asking any questions.
If you want something that is comfortable for commuting but still stylish, you might want to look into something like the Ninja 650R. You will be down on power and suspension adjustment, but you gain quite a bit of comfort and low end torque for around town riding. That said, with the right skills, you'll be able to keep up with most riders in the twisty stuff and it will make you a better rider for when you ride the full on super sport bikes.

Of the traditional super sport bikes, I have heard that the GSX-R 600 is the most comfortable because it has the most relaxed rider triangle. I have not ridden the various super sports back to back on the same day so it is hard to say for sure.

Just remember that if you can only own one bike, you will likely have to make some compromises, or modifications. You can always put Helibars or risers on a super sport to relax the riding position some more for daily commute purposes, but factor that into your costs when you are looking.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Take a look at the Triumph Daytona 675. It's not because I own one myself but it truly is a great bike. The power band is distributed across all RPM range..not just the at the higher range due to the 3 cylinder engine.

The used ones are price comparably with the GSXR and CBRs.
One warning point though...any of the previous generations before the 2013 model...beware of the heat output from the mid pipe from the open subframe near the seats...it can get toasty...especially on a hot summer day. The proper gear will help alleviate that problem though
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Nice boots!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by endo022
Take a look at the Triumph Daytona 675. It's not because I own one myself but it truly is a great bike. The power band is distributed across all RPM range..not just the at the higher range due to the 3 cylinder engine.

The used ones are price comparably with the GSXR and CBRs.
One warning point though...any of the previous generations before the 2013 model...beware of the heat output from the mid pipe from the open subframe near the seats...it can get toasty...especially on a hot summer day. The proper gear will help alleviate that problem though
Any pictures of yours? I really like the black/gold combo as well as the white/black, it's a great looking bike! I'm surprised I have never heard of the brand.

I'm freaking loving this YZF-R6S though, and it's local to me!

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-R6S-109806757

Any of you guys know much about it?

Last edited by iSeeYouTwo; 05-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
I have some pictures posted up in earlier pages (page 4) on this thread. It's Black and Gold

Last edited by endo022; 05-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.
iSeeYouTwo (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Drifting

You have great taste my friend! The bike looks great! And that red/white/gold R6 on pg 3 is so f*cking HOT too!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I've posted in this topic many times about "beginner" bikes... so definitely feel free to search the thread.

Short answer, I wouldn't recommend either of the bikes you originally posted to start out with. You may have ridden a buddy's a few times and taken the class, but that doesn't mean you know how to ride. You can get into a lot of trouble very easily on bikes like that... especially when you get put into situations you've never been in before. And, as you are a new rider, most situations will be new ones for you.

Getting a bike that big tends to make people ride to not crash, instead of learning to ride properly. Get a smaller/less powerful bike, learn to ride the right way, then upgrade. Those bikes aren't going anywhere... you can upgrade to them a year down the road. When I had my Ninja 250 (learned on for a little over a year) I could outride people in the twisties on larger bikes. Why? B/C I learned to ride properly while they were riding nervously as to not make a mistake.

If you must get a 650, I would echo the suggestions above (Ninja 650r or Triumph 675 Daytona or Street Triple). I would also throw the SV650 into the mix.

Good luck
iSeeYouTwo (05-24-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Any pictures of yours? I really like the black/gold combo as well as the white/black, it's a great looking bike! I'm surprised I have never heard of the brand.

I'm freaking loving this YZF-R6S though, and it's local to me!

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-R6S-109806757

Any of you guys know much about it?
Don't get a lowered bike, kills the handling and such in my opinion.

As mentioned before, I bought an R6 during college as my first bike and put a ton of miles on it with no problems. Yes, part was luck but I was careful and always respected it and had no problems.
iSeeYouTwo (05-24-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Don't get a lowered bike, kills the handling and such in my opinion.
This. So much this. Not just an opinion, but fact. Once you alter a bike's suspension, you completely change the steering geometry. Lowered bikes may look cool... but they ride like crap. Bikes are not like cars... they're not meant to be lowered and stretched. The only one's who do that are show bikes or those who like to go fast in a straight line. If you're really riding your bike the way it was meant to be ridden.. don't lower/stretch it... ever.

Last edited by juniorbean; 05-15-2013 at 07:10 AM.
iSeeYouTwo (05-24-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

125cc Street legal pit bike with some hooligan built in. Sign me up!! Although $3k seems steep... I'm sure in a year or so they'll be cheaper on eBay/CL...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/16...irst-Look.aspx

American Honda continues its aggressive campaign to foster new riders and provide fuel-efficient alternatives suitable for urban applications with the introduction of its 2014 Grom. The 125cc Grom is small, practical, and from the and from the video supporting its release, fun to ride as demonstrated by the stunt rider doing stoppies, pulling wheelies and generally hooning on the bike.

The little four-stroker features a 124.9cc air-cooled, Single-cylinder engine mated to a four-speed transmission. Though power output has yet to be listed, the same motorcycle was launched overseas under the name Honda MSX 125, MSX standing for Mini Street Extreme, whose Single charted a claimed 9.7 hp @ 7000 rpm and 8 lb-ft of torque @ 5500 rpm. An inverted front fork set out at only 25-degrees of rake and a small 12-inch, 120mm wide tire should make the bike very rider-friendly, as should the 29.7-inch seat height and claimed 225-pound curb weight.

Stopping power, as demonstrated in the video, should be fairly good thanks to hydraulic disc brakes front and rear with a 220mm disc fore and a 190mm disc aft. Damping duties on the rear will be provided by a solo shock with 4.1-inches of travel. The 2014 Grom has a 1.45-gallon tank that features a proprietary split-structure which allowed Honda to tuck the PGM-FI system inside as well.

The 2014 Honda Grom is available in Pearl Red or Metallic Black for $2999.

Though its physical dimensions teeter just above the size of a pit bike, Honda attempted to incorporate big-bike styling in the 2014 Grom by giving it a projector-style headlight, side panels for bodywork and an ample-sized digital display panel with a speedo, odometer, tach, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, clock and a high beam indicator light. It will be offered in two colors, Metallic Black and Pearl Red and lists for $2999.

The 2014 Grom adds to Honda’s ever-expanding list of affordable, entry-level motorcycles, joining the likes of the CBR250R, CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X.

Here’s what Honda PR has to say about the company’s latest offering:

Honda's 2014 Grom is a fresh, new way to add some fun, practicality, independence and style to your life. Fun: This new machine is a blast to ride, offering all the excitement of a full-sized motorcycle but in a package that just about anyone old enough to have a license can handle. Practical: The Grom's thrifty Honda engine means you can run it on pocket change, and you can park it just about anywhere too.

Independence: With your own wheels, you can bag the bus and forget about having to beg for rides from your friends or—shudder—your Mom. Stylish: Check out the Grom for yourself. And then think of it as a blank canvas, waiting for you to customize it.

Last edited by juniorbean; 05-15-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added story to post
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM

125cc Street legal pit bike with some hooligan built in. Sign me up!! Although $3k seems steep... I'm sure in a year or so they'll be cheaper on eBay/CL...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/16...irst-Look.aspx
Little typo in the ad, I think. peak torque at 55,000 rpm
Looks like fun though.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

^ LOL, yeah. I fixed it above, but can't fix their article. 55k would be sick!!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

This may have been posted elsewhere, but deserves to be posted here...

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTDA_VUlRnM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTDA_VUlRnM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Great vid..

I would highly suggest watching it with the sound OFF!
civicdrivr (05-25-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Great vid..

I would highly suggest watching it with the sound OFF!
Oops. Forgot to mention the thing about the sound. Yea turn off your speakers.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow.. that was hilarious!! :lol:

They should have had Benny Hill music in the background!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

They should have had Benny Hill music in the background!
That would be the icing on the cake.

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread