The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Overall I agree with the fact that the highway should be statistically safer... but you asked the question to people who are new/newish to riding which is what didn't make sense to me.

I don't know of any riders who started out on the highway. They learned to ride at lower speeds and once they were confident with the basics of riding and comfortable with their bikes they then started riding at higher speeds and riding on interstates, etc.
Don't get me wrong...confidence is key....ride within your limits.

However I don't understand the reluctancy to get on the highway because it is thought to be "more dangerous".

When I was first learning to ride, I was on the freeway within the first couple of days.

It just seemed odd to me to hear people talk about the highway with reluctancy.

To each his own....ride where you feel safe....but keep in mind your odds are "better" on the highway.......but it is boring there.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ I guess that's the difference. Out here you are not on the highway unless you need to be. Plenty of local roads and routes to get around on.

That said, I never said I didn't get on the highway sooner b/c it was more dangerous... I didn't do it b/c at first I wasn't confident... then when I was I did not have any confidence in my bike until I got a new one.

But yeah, it was boring. As I start to go on longer rides and riding with groups I'm glad that they are more on the back roads then the highways.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Question: I see a lot of you guys mention being leary of riding your bikes on the highway.....why?

The highway is by far safer than city streets and canyons....I dunno why the "fear" or apprehension

For me, it's not as much fear as it is lack of confidence. Which I guess is technically the same thing. I'm not as much worried about the speed as I am being next to cars going the same speed. It's just a completely new experience for me.

The wind is really what worries me the most. I don't want to over correct when I get hit with a big gust or when I pass a semi. I have been gaining confidence daily, so it won't be long till I hop on the expressway.

As JB said, around here there really is no need to go on the expressway unless you are in a hurry. There are plenty of state roads that provide a more scenic view.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Hurt Study on motorcycle accidents

Although old, the Hurt Study is still considered to the best overall motorcycle accident study. Short synopsis of the findings, worth reading for any street motorcyclist.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...dy-summary.htm
Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

^ They are actually conducting a new study using the Hurt Study as the baseline. Should be interesting to see updated figures...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever have a 6500 pound SUV mommy-mobile with mommy on the cell phone merge into you almost into you at 75 mph? I haven't, but know friends who have. One went down due to a variety of factors (traffic conditions, overcompensated on brakes and locked them, etc). Luckily he was going slower before he went down, and he went down on grass... so injuries were minimal, but the bike was totaled.

Woman didn't even stop... likely never even saw him.
I was almost turned into a pizza by a cell phone talking bitch in an SUV. I was in the left lane when she attempted to merge without looking, nearly clipping my rear tire. I saw her coming towards me and thought to myself, "Wait, she's getting nearer. HuH?!? Doesn't she see me? Wait, that bitch is going to run me over!!!""

So I opened the throttle and accelerated ahead, in turn making her take notice. Looking over my shoulder, I saw that she was STILL talking on her phone when she sharply corrected the SUV and went back to her own lane. I flipped her the bird with my left hand, but wish I could of taken her phone and thrown it at her mouth instead.

My fiance was following in a car and saw the whole thing happening from behind. Afterwards, my fiance explained her worst fear was seeing me get hit by the SUV, falling off the bike, only to get run over by her as she was following me

For me, riding on the freeway is boring. But it's the boredom that can potentially be the most dangerous facet of riding, as it can lull people into being less alert or consciously unaware of surroundings and idiot drivers. I'll take the foothills and canyon carving any day.

Last edited by taitando; 06-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by taitando
I'll take the foothills and canyon carving any day.

I had a friend in NY who was cutoff by a driver not paying attention to the point where he locked up the rear wheel to avoid hitting her. It was on local roads so he was only doing about 35mph or so... but still. After he collected himself he found himself behind that car at a light not far up from where the car pulled out. Before the light went green he pulled up next to the car and kicked it, cracking the taillight. It made him feel better at the time b/c he was so pissed, but he felt bad about what he did afterward.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see why he'd be pissed off and can picture myself doing the same. I was really shaken up as well after my own experience. When we're talking about accidents in bike vs. car, the bike is always going to lose. What may be a dent on the car can be serious bodily injury or death to the rider. So when cagers are negligent to the point of threatening my life, yeah, I'd be inclined to kick in a tail light or two as well.

In any case, I make it a point to never stay in a car's blind spot. In addition I try to make myself as visible as possible. Whether it be wearing a bright helmet or riding with my high beams during the day, stealth is not the way to go on a bike.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, your incident was definitely worse!

And I am the same way with the visibility. Plus, my bike's exhaust are kind of loud too... so hopefully I can be seen and heard!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
I started out on a Ninja 250 also and for the first couple of times out...I just stuck to the local back roads until I got comfortable with the bike and just familiarizing myself with the bike on the road along with all the other traffic. The MSF course can't replicate that.

After the initial couple of days, I felt confident enough to start commuting on it and taking it on the highway. The 250 is a bit lacking but it wasn't completely gutless. I took it up to about 100mph...that thing was just screaming and is the definition of going WOT. You had to do that just to get it up to speed quickly enough

There wasn't a fear of going onto the highway for me...it was just getting used to being more situationally aware of my surroundings. That can take a toll...especially after a long, mentally draining day at work, I sometimes find myself not fully concentrating on the task of riding which is a big no-no.

I putted on the 250 for a year before I felt comfortable enough to upgrade to a bigger bike with a less forgiving throttle. With the D675, it's an absolutely different animal. A slight twist of the throttle and if I'm not careful, there's so much torque in it that I can feel the front lift.

As for which one is worse, highways or local streets...the only difference is speed. You'll more likely to survive a crash or a run in with a cager on the local street than one on the highway going while going at 60mph or more.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

FYI, I have a post in the Black Market for those Icon Riding pants. Figured I'd see if any of our resident riders would like them before I put them on CL or eBay...

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/icon-arc-mesh-riding-pants-731458/

Also, I'm bringing the bike in today to see if they can lower it as well as to make sure the first service was done by the original owner as he said it was.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Picked up the bike from the dealer about an hour ago... love it even more!! They were able to lower it about 3/4" to 1" just adjusting the suspension (no links needed). The bike fits me much better now and from what I could see... no difference in handling.

They also did a full service on it (all fluids including oil) and re-mapped the ECU. The throttle is not as touchy now and it is much more "town-able". I am much happier with it now and cannot wait to start putting some miles on her!!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Picked up the bike from the dealer about an hour ago... love it even more!! They were able to lower it about 3/4" to 1" just adjusting the suspension (no links needed). The bike fits me much better now and from what I could see... no difference in handling.

They also did a full service on it (all fluids including oil) and re-mapped the ECU. The throttle is not as touchy now and it is much more "town-able". I am much happier with it now and cannot wait to start putting some miles on her!!
good stuff! now quit postin' and start rippin' some twisties Your next mod should be a Power Commander if you are really interested in remapping your ECU.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, I thought about it... but seems the Aprilia's are pretty touchy when it comes to ECU modifications, so not many people have done ECU mods outside of the Aprilia maps...
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ If you like what you got, stay stock with the ECU....less headaches.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, it's fine for now. With the exhaust and the re-map I'm around 145hp which is more then enough for me. Especially when the bike weighs around 405 pounds

Coming from a Ninja 250... I should have plenty of time on the Aprilia before I get bored
Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I now have a Motorcycle License!

Passed the moto written test today, took 2 tries.

Also, what surprised me is that they had me take the Class C Renewal test in addition to the Moto Test! What's funnier is that I studied for the moto test, not the Class C test, got 100% on the class C test the first time and missed 8 on the Moto test, go figure! Only missed 1 the 2nd time on the Moto Test (studied a little bit more before taking it the 2nd time).

Now the real question is when will I be able to afford a bike and insurance.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^
nice!
Good luck with the bike hunt...hopefully you'll be able to score a decent deal on a bike.

Don't forget to set aside some coins for good gear too
Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

@ two tries to pass.

j/k
Congrats!!!!! and welcome to the M1 club!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Team Owner

@ two tries to pass.

j/k
Congrats!!!!! and welcome to the M1 club!
I'm kicking myself enough in the ass for not passing the first time. I read the book, and I hate to read so most of it didn't stick the first time around. The 2nd time I was pissed so I remembered a lot more.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by endo022
^^^
nice!
Good luck with the bike hunt...hopefully you'll be able to score a decent deal on a bike.

Don't forget to set aside some coins for good gear too
THanks dude,

I probably won't be getting a bike anytime soon simply because I do want to get a decent bike the first time around to learn on, regardless if it's used or not, and get some good gear. Good helmet, jacket and a few other things like gloves and possibly pants will be on the list and will increase my starting amount to get into the hobby.

Look for a new motorcycle thread from me sometime in 2030 if I can afford it by then Unless of course if we all die by 2012 anyway. Perhaps that's the argument I should use with the wifey to just get a bike now regardless of anything else.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Time to get a Duc!!!!

Ducati offers a year of "Full Factory Support" on all 2008-2009 motorcycle models purchased this summer. This unique program offers complimentary service for new Ducati motorcycles.

Ducati North America is excited to launch the "Full Factory Support" motorcycle service campaign; where the first year of service is included free of charge with the purchase of a new Ducati.

The program enables a Ducati owner to simply ride and enjoy their new bike. The offer includes the first year of regularly scheduled maintenance updates on 2008 and 2009 Ducati models. All a customer needs to do for qualification is purchase a new Ducati from a participating dealer between June 4 and August 31 2009, fill out the program enrollment form and start riding.

As motorcycling's premium brand, Ducati strives to provide premium service. The Full Factory Support program underlies Ducati's commitment to customer support and service- which already includes the most comprehensive warranty in the industry. Visit your local participating dealer for more information on this new program.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Oh man, I'd love to own this bike...

And it's in my favorite color.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Nice back...although the monster had me at "hello"

Nekeddd trellis frame
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah...that duc 848 is freakin suite!
here's another excuse to get a new bike this year...Obama just signed a bill to give buyers a tax writeoff on a purchase of a new motorcycle (get to write off the tax you paid on the bike).
http://www.wingstuff.com/blog_detail...New_Motorcycle
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

^^^ gonna have to show that to the wifey.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Nice back...although the monster had me at "hello"

Nekeddd trellis frame

Streetfighter FTW!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM
AZ Community Team

If you're going for the Duc might as well go all the way to a 1198S
Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Boing!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last year about picked up a Kawasaki zx6E that the body was in some rough shape but nothing a repaint can't solve. well during the winter and early spring months i tackled the challenge. it took longer then i hoped but i was busy with other matters.

the whole bike was repainted in Mercedes Mars Red and the rims were repainted also. the front fairing was the most work since it was down in the past. it is now almost perfect but I'm very satisfied how it came out. all of the other panels are pretty much perfect. i polished out the orange peal yesterday since its been a few weeks and the clear has had time to harden. i know i need a new blinker i broke it by accident since it was on the garage floor...pissed about that one.

for the price i paid for the bike and the work i put into it i'm extremely satisfied. the motor is solid and the tranny shifts like butter. for a first bike i think i have made out very well.

i just wish this rain would stop, the only day it is nice is during the week when i work all day. riding it has been fun and i'm looking forward to the weather clearing up and getting some more seat time. remember always gear up!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 1killercls
Boing!
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/67/Mot...ati-1198s.aspx

Boing x16!, the rest of the gallery.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ Nice bike!! Looks like the work you put into it paid off.

Oh and at the 848. That's actually the direction I was going to go before I decided to stay with a naked bike b/c of the riding position (and the fact I wouldn't take an 848 on the track)...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
last year about picked up a Kawasaki zx6E that the body was in some rough shape but nothing a repaint can't solve. well during the winter and early spring months i tackled the challenge. it took longer then i hoped but i was busy with other matters.

the whole bike was repainted in Mercedes Mars Red and the rims were repainted also. the front fairing was the most work since it was down in the past. it is now almost perfect but I'm very satisfied how it came out. all of the other panels are pretty much perfect. i polished out the orange peal yesterday since its been a few weeks and the clear has had time to harden. i know i need a new blinker i broke it by accident since it was on the garage floor...pissed about that one.

for the price i paid for the bike and the work i put into it i'm extremely satisfied. the motor is solid and the tranny shifts like butter. for a first bike i think i have made out very well.

i just wish this rain would stop, the only day it is nice is during the week when i work all day. riding it has been fun and i'm looking forward to the weather clearing up and getting some more seat time. remember always gear up!
Nice work
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Talking

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
THanks dude,

I probably won't be getting a bike anytime soon simply because I do want to get a decent bike the first time around to learn on, regardless if it's used or not, and get some good gear. Good helmet, jacket and a few other things like gloves and possibly pants will be on the list and will increase my starting amount to get into the hobby.

Look for a new motorcycle thread from me sometime in 2030 if I can afford it by then Unless of course if we all die by 2012 anyway. Perhaps that's the argument I should use with the wifey to just get a bike now regardless of anything else.

Congrats on passing!!

As for the gear... do you know anyone who rides? I bought my 250 off of CL... but all of my gear was borrowed except for the helmet. I borrowed my friends jacket and gloves. At this point I now have purchased my own gloves, pants (went with overpants), and riding boots... but I got my license in Jan. of 2008... so I bought all of these things over time.

That may help you to get on a bike sooner
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I posted my jacket up for sale in the classified section if anyone's interested.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7#post11032727
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 PM

I logged my first ride on the interstate this weekend and I gotta say, it was fun. It was a great day to test my courage because it was really windy. There wasn't a lot of traffic, but enough to pass a few cars and get passed by a few. My confidence is growing with every ride.

On a side note, I was at the shop the other day ordering my Icon Arc pants, and they sold me a near new Yoshimura pipe for $100. I also ordered an Ivan's performance stage 1 carb kit. I can't wait to have them installed and tuned!

Does anybody have any experience with Corbin seats? I am thinking about getting one because I have serious taint pain after an hour of riding.

AS- Nice work on the ZX6E. It looks great!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Question

^ No personal experience with Corbin seats, but from doing research, you can't go wrong.

Originally Posted by endo022
I posted my jacket up for sale in the classified section if anyone's interested.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7#post11032727
Size chart is not loading. I may be interested... just let me do some research on the sizing. I'm sure I can find a size chart for that jacket online. I'm about 5'6", 140lbs. Not sure how big you are, but a medium may be too big for me.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 PM

^ No personal experience with Corbin seats, but from doing research, you can't go wrong.

Ya, that's what I came up with as well. Just needed further justification before dropping more coin.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Size chart is not loading. I may be interested... just let me do some research on the sizing. I'm sure I can find a size chart for that jacket online. I'm about 5'6", 140lbs. Not sure how big you are, but a medium may be too big for me.
I'm 5'3", 135lbs and the jacket is a good fit for me so it should be able to fit your description.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Hmm. OK... guess it will fit fine! I'll PM you or respond to your sale topic in the BM if I decide to buy.

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread