AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   The Official Honda S2000 Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/official-honda-s2000-thread-385130/)

SSMTL01 03-13-2008 03:55 PM

^more gas less wet!

srika 03-13-2008 03:56 PM

^ :co:

Chopsie 03-13-2008 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Dougler
I'm just curious how tall are you guys?

6'2 175lbs long torso'd as well, and one of my very few complaints about the car is that the seat doesn't sit low enough. I find myself having to lean up or over to see traffic lights.. Top up that is, top down, no issue.
I've been thinking about investing in a Backyard Special Lower seatrail. It lowers the seating position an inch, which I think would help a lot. I have read great reviews from other tall owners who have it.

Chopsie 03-13-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
I have yet to drive with the top down. Today was close at 50 degrees but still too chilly for me.

They actually say not to operate the top if it's below 50... however, if you throw on a hoodie and set the HVAC control to the top down setting and crank the heat up, it's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by iTimmy
:nod: If you want to nail your 0-60 or like going to the drag strip just get a different car. If you want a rewarding car to drive in anything other then a straight line the S2000 is the ticket, it makes every jaunt an experience worth remembering. I've had mine for almost 3 months now and it still puts as big of a smile on my face as it did the first time I drove it.

:werd: and mine is a daily driver, and I would have it no other way.

Chopsie 03-13-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSMTL01
^more gas less wet!

I tried that once, and well, it was raining pretty heavy... I was soaked :rofl:

Crazy Bimmer 03-13-2008 07:41 PM

turn the heat up full blast and put the fan on top down mode and stop being a vag :wish:

haha, ok tomorrow suppose to be 54. Maybe ill try it.

The Dougler 03-13-2008 07:45 PM

I test drove one today with top down it was pretty nice. 10c here.

agranado 03-14-2008 12:14 AM

edit: Dont mean to hijack thread, but I figured since there's some hefty s2k discussion going on here, why not? :tomato:

What would you guys say about getting an S2k as a daily driver? Im coming up soon on purchasing a new car and I was thinking something new like an Si sedan, or a GTI 4dr... but a used s2k has always caught my attention (2005-2006). They are priced more or less like the other two im looking at.

Only thing is, will the ride be too harsh for a DD? Or will it be okay? I dont plan on making any performance mods on it at all, I would just want something fun to drive as is.

Question is will it be too much fun?

-------

edit: I also just realized that im picking between two four door cars vs. a coupe. I currently own a 97 2.2CL and have been itching to get out of the coupe scene for a bit.. but I think an s2k could trump that desire to own a more practical vehicle.

iTimmy 03-14-2008 12:29 AM

My S2k is my only car and while it has been inconvenient a few times, it wasn't me that it inconvenienced :) I've had no real problem using mine as a DD, I have to plan ahead sometimes, but most often its just like having a "normal" car, only this is way more fun to drive.

Costco 03-14-2008 12:41 AM

You'll probably have to leave your car at someone's house or even worse, leave it at home :alert: sometimes. Its a minor inconvenience to trade cars or transfer to other cars, shouldn't stop you unless you have a family or haul stuff around regularly or something.

I usually have at least 2 passengers if any at all, sometimes a 5th seat would be useful.... but never do I wish I didn't have my car, or think about not getting an S2000

How do I know? I've been there before with an MR2....

EuRTSX 03-14-2008 01:01 AM

Go for it. I know I would.

Originally Posted by agranado
edit: Dont mean to hijack thread, but I figured since there's some hefty s2k discussion going on here, why not? :tomato:

What would you guys say about getting an S2k as a daily driver? Im coming up soon on purchasing a new car and I was thinking something new like an Si sedan, or a GTI 4dr... but a used s2k has always caught my attention (2005-2006). They are priced more or less like the other two im looking at.

Only thing is, will the ride be too harsh for a DD? Or will it be okay? I dont plan on making any performance mods on it at all, I would just want something fun to drive as is.

-------

edit: I also just realized that im picking between two four door cars vs. a coupe. I currently own a 97 2.2CL and have been itching to get out of the coupe scene for a bit.. but I think an s2k could trump that desire to own a more practical vehicle.

vishnus11 03-14-2008 03:01 AM

-------

drive one, and if it tickles you, then buy it. You'll have no problem using it as a daily driver. Good sized trunk (for a 2 seater vert), comfy if your wear <42 regular suit, dead reliable, and great on gas. I put 22k miles on mine in 11 months!

charliemike 03-14-2008 09:08 AM

Dude, in Miami, that's a no-brainer.

Boston? Notsomuch. :)

Crazy Bimmer 03-14-2008 09:48 AM

Could be pricey for insurance if its a daily driver when you are 23.

SSMTL01 03-14-2008 10:19 AM

Mine is a DD, I have a 90 civic beater to take when i need passengers or if i'm going somewhere unsafe for my car. Otherwise, I have been driving it every day. I rarely used the backseat in my TL and it was against my will when i did :) The car rides surprisingly well for how firm the suspension and how tight the steering is. Reliability is a given as long as you maintain it. The car is so simple if you think about it- four cyl with easy access to spark plugs and other maintenance items, manual tranny, and not very many sensors or electronics to mess with. Not to mention it is hand built purposely to be a weekend track car. (Man I'm already starting to sound like a fanboy lunatic)

I'm 5'8 and 145 lbs, and the car is perfectly comfortable for me as a DD. I have taken it on a few 2-3 hour trips already and I was never uncomfortable.

Like everyone has said, go on a long test drive and you will know whether it is right for you or not.

SSMTL01 03-14-2008 10:22 AM

haha, ok tomorrow suppose to be 54. Maybe ill try it.

See this for inspiration:
http://formeranonymous.livejournal.com/tag/streak

This guy has driven top down for over 1000 days now...in detroit. :what:

iTimmy 03-14-2008 11:08 AM

Mine is a DD, I have a 90 civic beater to take when i need passengers or if i'm going somewhere unsafe for my car. Otherwise, I have been driving it every day. I rarely used the backseat in my TL and it was against my will when i did :) The car rides surprisingly well for how firm the suspension and how tight the steering is. Reliability is a given as long as you maintain it. The car is so simple if you think about it- four cyl with easy access to spark plugs and other maintenance items, manual tranny, and not very many sensors or electronics to mess with. Not to mention it is hand built purposely to be a weekend track car. (Man I'm already starting to sound like a fanboy lunatic)

I'm 5'8 and 145 lbs, and the car is perfectly comfortable for me as a DD. I have taken it on a few 2-3 hour trips already and I was never uncomfortable.

Like everyone has said, go on a long test drive and you will know whether it is right for you or not.

Your not even close to the fanboi's they think the s2k is the best car ever made, will and can win any race and is the perfect car. While I like my s2k its far from perfect, its just a lot of fun, in particular for how affordable it is to purchase and own.

Chopsie 03-14-2008 09:55 PM

-------

Depends on you what your habits are... Mine is a daily driver, and I would have it no other way.. maybe someday I'll get another car, but for now, this is the one I want to be in. Now, I very rarely ever have a passenger, i'm single, no kids, and do not work in construction or traveling salesman ;)
The roads in Louisiana are equivalents to paved shit :thumbsup: and yet the ride is not too harsh, for me anyway.

and to your edit, your right, comparing apples to oranges. If you have been wanting something with more room, this car is not for you.

GreenMonster 03-15-2008 11:36 AM

Some good info that Type S Zero posted in a S2000 thread I closed over in the CL forum (yes, :jesal: we still have a CL forum here)...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...27#post2747327

Seems like once a day I have to tell someone that off topic shit belongs in the offtopic forum :whyme:

Originally Posted by Type S Zero
s2ki.com is the best place you can read on the car

depending if you're getting a 2.0L or 2.2L

2.0L
Horsepower 240 @ 8300 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 153 @ 7500 RPM
9000rpm redline
has cable throttle
crappy plastic rear window on 00-01 models
02+ has door tweeters
16" wheels

City 20 mpg
Highway 26 mpg

2.2L
Horsepower 240 @ 7800 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 162 @ 6500 RPM
8000rpm redline
shorter tranny output gear resulting like a shorter final drive
17" wheels and wider tires
06+ has Drive-by-wire throttle (electronic) and VSA

City 20 mpg
highway 25 mpg

you can read on the year changes here :

from 00-01 to 02-03 :
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161997

from 03 to 04-05 :
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=483593

from 05 to 06-07
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=538016

from 07 to 08
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=525439

Crazy Bimmer 03-15-2008 11:53 PM

Chopsie, is this the intake you have? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-5...QQcmdZViewItem

The Dougler 03-16-2008 03:51 AM

FYI, I have decided against the s2k for fear of looking like a grizzle bear in a clown car. As much as I love the car my fat ass does not look proportional in it. I'm going on the Whiskers diet in a few weeks. Maybe next year.

iTimmy 03-16-2008 12:00 PM

One of my friends is a fat slimy walrus looking guy and while he fits it's the typical fat guy in a little car and looks REALLY uncomfortable. If your over 6'2" or 225 this car would probably be a little tight

Crazy Bimmer 03-16-2008 12:09 PM

Im fat and fit fine, but i have chicken legs so that helps a lot.

I personally dont care if i look silly in it. Still a blast to drive around. Just keep the top up and tint the windows. ;)

Then lose weight! The car is motivation for it. :chuckle:

Costco 03-16-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Dougler
FYI, I have decided against the s2k for fear of looking like a grizzle bear in a clown car. As much as I love the car my fat ass does not look proportional in it. I'm going on the Whiskers diet in a few weeks. Maybe next year.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/gives.gif

Just because you look too big in it means you don't want the car anymore? That's silly....

As long as you're not fat to the point that you can't close the door without crushing your hip, its all good.

Crazy Bimmer 03-16-2008 12:38 PM

Btw, i HATE my shifter in the 335i now. It feels so crappy compared to the S2k.

Thanks Honda :rolleyes:

iTimmy 03-16-2008 12:58 PM

:haha:

Chopsie 03-19-2008 05:35 PM

Chopsie, is this the intake you have? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Yessir

iamandypark 03-19-2008 09:36 PM

I was browsing through youtube the other night and say an ls engine swap into an s2000. It was very interesting. Nice car Crazy Sellout!

Crazy Bimmer 03-19-2008 09:50 PM

Thanks!

Anyone ever think that the S2k might become a collectors car many years from now? :dunno:

Bet most wont last considering how many "i totaled my s2k" threads i see.

Makes me wonder if i should keep it stock. :ponder:

Never Summer 03-19-2008 10:09 PM

Thanks!

Anyone ever think that the S2k might become a collectors car many years from now? :dunno:

I do believe the car will have value a while from now, however keeping it stock is like dating a supermodel and not "doing" her. :tomato:

iTimmy 03-19-2008 10:49 PM

Thanks!

This was discussed on S2ki about a month ago. My take on the matter is that like you said a lot of S2k's get wrecked, and they were never HUGE sellers in this country peaking in 02 at just under 9,700 units in this country. They also are highly desirable to younger people, often who can't afford them when they are young, so if they are in a position to buy a "classic" in the future I'm sure it will be on a lot of boy ricers lists. These cars are often molested and decimated, so an unvarnished example will draw a premium. I personally feel only rare S2000's will draw a huge premium, or cars in extraordinary condition, for example the first and last AP1 and AP2 will be worth money if in good shape. A car with ultra low miles that has been properly stored will be worth a lot of money. A rare color combo's in good condition, like GPW with all red interior will be valuable. My car, won't be, its already got 1,300 miles on it, an aftermarket stereo and is silver, granted there were some changes in 08 and the silver is brand new this year, as are the wheels, seats, gauge cluster, deletion of the "windshield tape" and TPMS. Then again I will probably keep this car for about 5 years and its what I want now so the big picture doesn't concern me.

This car is not collectible to me, and I don't think its worth the gamble holding one unless its extremely rare, enjoy it, that's what it was designed for.

Out of curiosity what mods are you considering? Unless your doing some serious work everything should be able to be undone and brought back to OE spec, the used parts market for the S2k is phenomenal, unloading aftermarket parts shouldn't be a problem for years to come.

FiveLiterCheater 03-19-2008 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I do believe the car will have value a while from now, however keeping it stock is like dating a supermodel and not "doing" her. :tomato:

No, hes still driving the car. Keeping the car stock would be like dating a supermodel and not upping the bra size :rofl:

Crazy Bimmer 03-19-2008 11:27 PM

Was just giving myself an excuse not to mod it.

I still have no desire to mod it but researching them is a good time killer.

To me a collector car isnt about money but more about the rarity factor. Even if I had a lot of miles, it would be nice to go to car meets where people hardly see an S2k. (talking about year and years from now)

Fibonacci 03-20-2008 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by iTimmy
This was discussed on S2ki about a month ago. My take on the matter is that like you said a lot of S2k's get wrecked, and they were never HUGE sellers in this country peaking in 02 at just under 9,700 units in this country. They also are highly desirable to younger people, often who can't afford them when they are young, so if they are in a position to buy a "classic" in the future I'm sure it will be on a lot of boy ricers lists. These cars are often molested and decimated, so an unvarnished example will draw a premium. I personally feel only rare S2000's will draw a huge premium, or cars in extraordinary condition, for example the first and last AP1 and AP2 will be worth money if in good shape. A car with ultra low miles that has been properly stored will be worth a lot of money.

:agree:

This car is not collectible to me, and I don't think its worth the gamble holding one unless its extremely rare, enjoy it, that's what it was designed for.
Yah, I wouldn't look at it as an investment, you could do much better socking the equivalent $30 gizzle into an index fund for 30 years. Spank it hard and enjoy it. :biggrin:

cM3go 03-20-2008 06:56 AM

:werd: you can't beat a Honda/Acura MT gear box

SSMTL01 03-20-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
:agree:

Yah, I wouldn't look at it as an investment, you could do much better socking the equivalent $30 gizzle into an index fund for 30 years. Spank it hard and enjoy it. :biggrin:

:werd:

No garage queen here. This car is meant to be driven hard- it almost seems like it asks you for it.

Getting my first mod, a new headunit at the end of this month:

https://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pr...X001-f_mt.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...1&i=500IDAX001

GreenMonster 03-20-2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

:silver: said that I should do the opposite of what you say.... so I guess I should start shopping for an S2K :D

Crazy Bimmer 03-20-2008 05:33 PM

Sell you mine for $22k :ninja:

I really need to drive it more. Its nutty how much im paying for insurance vs how often I drive it.

Fibonacci 03-20-2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
:silver: said that I should do the opposite of what you say.... so I guess I should start shopping for an S2K :D

:silver: says a lot of things... :gheylaugh:

:wink:

GreenMonster 03-20-2008 05:58 PM

Sell you mine for $22k :ninja:

I really need to drive it more. Its nutty how much im paying for insurance vs how often I drive it.

:rofl: Fucking Capitalist Pig :D

But, you could probably sell it for more that you bought it for... especially once it gets warmer out... say like the end of april...

I'm sure you'll drive it a lot more once it gets warmer out...